Wii U Has Flopped

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/17/wii-u-not-selling/

The next dreamcast?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Haz already posted this

And posted more

And actually presented facts

And quotes

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@zaku101 said:

The next dreamcast?

No because unlike Sega, Nintendo will make another console after the Wii U.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@zaku101 said:

The next dreamcast?

nintendo has nothing left to prove...they have beat every console maker at least 1 gen...atari/sega/xbox/sony...and they are the grandfathers of gaming.....if they stopped making consoles after this gen then it was a wonderful run...

xeon71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xeon71
Member since 2005 • 208 Posts

Nintendo will not suffer the same fate as Sega. They may have made some mistakes with the Wii U but they will definitely make more systems after the Wii U. Not every effort ends in success (Virtual Boy). The important thing is that Nintendo learns what didn't work this time around and make sure they get it right next time.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Sega has $8 billion in cash while shipping the Dreamcast? Please stop using this stupid comparison as it just screams how little you know about the game industry. There are a few similarities, as there are between anything but not the one you're implying.

Also, did you know it took the PS3 nearly 3 years to pass the GameCube's sales? But then the PS3 sold another 60 million units in the 4 1/2 years since then? THINGS CHANGE SOMETIMES!

I'm not saying Wii U will pull out a miracle, and Nintendo's marketing is pretty bad (But getting better) but we're one redesigned Wii U with improved marketing and cheaper materials at $199 away from seeing it do much, much better.

etmaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 etmaul
Member since 2003 • 763 Posts

Flop away for all I care. I just picked up Assassin's Creed Black Flag and Splinter Cell Blacklist. They look and play great on the Wii U. Just give me Mario Kart, Metroid, Zelda, and Kirby, the usual Nintendo suspects, and I'll be good.

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

I was going to wait and see if the price plummeted even farther before buying one to play the Wii versions of RE remake and RE0(I never owned a Wii, but had the Gamecube and played the original versions) but I was at a store that was closing and they had 10% off so I saved $30 and bought the Deluxe Mario Bros. bundle and a black Wiimote. So far it all seems fine... just hope the hardware doesn't crap out like some have experienced. The thing is I couldn't get myself to buy a damn Wii since they are still going for about $200 or more, almost as much as the Wii U. So at least the Wii U is HDMI etc... Even more ridiculous is that I checked on buying a Gamecube again and new ones are still out there but for $400+ dollars lol and those original Gamecube RE games are like $60 a piece. So I basically paid $270+$30=$300 for the Wii U/Wiimote just to play two games so far. wow.

I'm looking forward to Monolithsoft's X so I hope that doesn't get cancelled! I need at least one other game to play on this damn thing. I might get Pikmin?3 or whatever it's called.

I think people are fickle and if Nintendo can deliver a couple a exclusives like fund and publish a new Resident Evil, even another remake like RE2, Nemesis or another light gun type game then they can pull through and stabilize the downward spiral of the Wii U. They might be able to pull off some type of new handheld that can handle the work of the gamepad and then start selling just the Wii U system and gamepad separately and let people boot the Wii U and configure it using a Wiimote or other controller or a new handheld. Since the OS interface is merely streamed to the gamepad I'm sure they can pump out a new handheld to take it's place and we all know how Nintendo fans love collecting handhelds(I'm not one of those types).

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

@herox95 said:

I got me a Wii U and I'm proud of it. :3 Everybody who doesn't will obviously not rejoice in the fun of games, neither will the Sony fanboys. You see, I hate Sony and its PS4, because it's just as crappy as compared to the Xbox One, whereas the Wii U is factually a excellent choice for children, teenagers and adults to play on. Nintendo can do two consoles at a time. HOW MANY EMPLOYEES DO THEY HAVE?

... ITS OVER 9000!!

how do you call people fanboys, then proceed to be just that yourself? sounds like you should go back to system wars...

WiiQ24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 WiiQ24
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Most are waiting for a massive price drop. 299, 249 is too much

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

I enjoy my Wii U a lot. Me thinks Nintendo has a lot of convincing to do. but I enjoy it.

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

I'm on PS4 now...sluggish browser but I love my new Wii U it's by far the most charming system/interface. My only gripe is playing Wii games on the gamepad and the buttons are dead so you have use the Wiimote etc. just to play lol it's absurd!

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Wii U hasn't "flopped" it cant flop till the generation is over. Yes it is struggling a lot. But as long as even $1 is made in the end of the 8th gen its technically not a flop.

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

@KBFloYd: Nintendo never beat MS or Sony, granted the Wii is at 100 million while the PS360 are both at 80... but they are still being made and sold while the Wii is dead. They do rule the handheld market though, if you don't count smartphones and tablets.

If anything, Sony is the only one to have 3 successful consoles in a row (4 if you count the PS4 which I don't, at least not yet).

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RealJaysonguy
Member since 2013 • 236 Posts

@mordant221: The ps3 wasn't quite a runaway success, they lost a lot of money for the first few years the console was out. Even at $599 it was selling at a loss year one, and they had to make several price drops over the first few years because people weren't biting.

That being said, Microsoft hasn't made a dollar on the Xbox brand yet.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#18  Edited By Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@herox95 said:

I got me a Wii U and I'm proud of it. :3 Everybody who doesn't will obviously not rejoice in the fun of games, neither will the Sony fanboys. You see, I hate Sony and its PS4, because it's just as crappy as compared to the Xbox One, whereas the Wii U is factually a excellent choice for children, teenagers and adults to play on. Nintendo can do two consoles at a time. HOW MANY EMPLOYEES DO THEY HAVE?

... ITS OVER 9000!!

Excellent for adults?? Herox95 you are kinda reaching here.

0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

@herox95 said:

@Coolyfett Hey listen mate. Adults do actually play Nintendo games, especially Wii U. I'm one of them.

The reason I hate Sony is not because of their games (I like their games, I do!), is the company itself, not the games or console. They are, to me, a bunch of greedy bastards who will happen to hop upon anything like a puppy pleading to remove a chain from it's leg and they will instead wound it (note that this is only an example, not reality, but reality is about Sony does do threats). They'll threaten to remove your PS+ account and lock your console, FOREVER. How many people have reported this? Over 9999!! Basically, 20 million people have.

Nintendo happens to have about, hmm, what was it? 7000 employees, that's including NOA, NOJ, NOA the rest (lol I don't know how many states Nintendo is in. They're everywhere).

The Wii U aren't floppin' any time, guys. Please understand. You know what the Golden Ages is? The days of reality where Nintendo RULED the gaming world, or universe, for that matter. Nobody spoke about Sony or Microsoft. They were weak and tiny compared to Nintendo, right now and in the future, they will be. I'm not fanboy, but I've been with them since, hmm, the SNES era. I've lost count of how many consoles Nintendo has released. xD

I have to say you sound unreasonable to me. The unfortunate reality is that Nintendo isn't doing well with it's newest home console. I love Nintendo and the games they make and I also see a decline in the market for the Wii U. It's happening whether or not I like it or anyone else likes it. I can't say that Nintendo will or will not pull out of this slump but I can say they need to change what they are doing and market not only to consumers but to third party publishers in a way that is both appealing and profitable. Yes, Sony cares about money. You hit the jack pot with that one. So does every other major business in the world. Wouldn't you? I've never been threatened by Sony and I don't know anyone who has. Nintendo continues to blindly push it's own preferences on to the consumer rather than take an active interest in a wide market. I believe there is a way to please hardcore fans while simultaneously appealing to causal fans; They aren't doing that though. Nintendo is stubborn and blind to their own impending demise.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

You cannot claim a system has flopped until the generation is over. Nintendo will make a profit in the end like they always do. But it will be like the Gamecube a profit but not as much as Nintendo aimed for. Even though people say Gamecube failed only in the sense is failed to reach sales goals and came in 3rd but a profit was still made. So no Wii U is not a flop. Its just a big speed bump for Nintendo nothing more.

louisfoxton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By louisfoxton
Member since 2007 • 1400 Posts

@mordant221: Wii did beat the ps360 You just stated the fact just now

tattoogunman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tattoogunman
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

@louisfoxton:

I think success has to be rated by more than just the number of units sold. They can sell billions of the things, but that doesn't necessarily make it a successful system when people get rid of them within days, weeks, or months of purchase (because there is no software for it) or they sit on the shelf collecting dust or waiting for that occasional party game to get dusted off.

I bought my kids one a week ago and figured I'd find something to play on the thing, but there is nothing I have any interest in. I'm not getting games like Call of Duty for the Wii U when I can get them for my Xbox. I don't care about Nintendo's cutesy games (that even my kids don't want to play because at 7 and 9 years old, even they think they are lame) like Mario, Kirby, and the like (Mariokart being the exception, I've always enjoyed that one). I also thought that they were going to have their entire Nintendo catalog available for download (their old NES and SNES titles), but there are only a small handful available. There isn't jack on their marketplace to download that I can't get for at least 50% cheaper from Gamestop or Amazon. There are hardly any indie titles available (not even something like Minecraft or similar cult status games that are out now), etc. I'm actually more OK with the system itself than I thought I would be, but there is jack squat to play on the dumb thing when compared to what you can get on other systems.

So they can keep selling them, but just because they still sell a few, I don't think it's been successful in the least.

mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mrfokken
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts

@tattoogunman said:

@louisfoxton:

I think success has to be rated by more than just the number of units sold. They can sell billions of the things, but that doesn't necessarily make it a successful system when people get rid of them within days, weeks, or months of purchase (because there is no software for it) or they sit on the shelf collecting dust or waiting for that occasional party game to get dusted off.

I bought my kids one a week ago and figured I'd find something to play on the thing, but there is nothing I have any interest in. I'm not getting games like Call of Duty for the Wii U when I can get them for my Xbox. I don't care about Nintendo's cutesy games (that even my kids don't want to play because at 7 and 9 years old, even they think they are lame) like Mario, Kirby, and the like (Mariokart being the exception, I've always enjoyed that one). I also thought that they were going to have their entire Nintendo catalog available for download (their old NES and SNES titles), but there are only a small handful available. There isn't jack on their marketplace to download that I can't get for at least 50% cheaper from Gamestop or Amazon. There are hardly any indie titles available (not even something like Minecraft or similar cult status games that are out now), etc. I'm actually more OK with the system itself than I thought I would be, but there is jack squat to play on the dumb thing when compared to what you can get on other systems.

So they can keep selling them, but just because they still sell a few, I don't think it's been successful in the least.

Too bad you purchased a Nintendo system when you don't care for their franchises. It also does not make sense that you want Nintendo's back catalog when you don't like their IPs. What do you want on VC? There are currently 69 VC titles available--few of which are available for non Nintendo systems.

If you are mainly a FPS fan, you should stay with your 360,Complaining about Nintendo franchises after you purchase a Nintendo system is a bit like complaining that Italian restaurants don't serve the Mexican food you're looking for.

As for no software for it, there are 78 retail games out currently and an additional 128 titles available for download on the eshop. You may not like the games, but saying there are is no software is just blatantly false.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@mrfokken said:

@tattoogunman said:

@louisfoxton:

Too bad you purchased a Nintendo system when you don't care for their franchises. It also does not make sense that you want Nintendo's back catalog when you don't like their IPs. What do you want on VC? There are currently 69 VC titles available--none of which are available for non Nintendo systems.

If you are mainly a FPS fan, you should just stay with your 360,Complaining about Nintendo franchises after you purchase a Nintendo system is a bit like complaining that Italian restaurants don't serve the Mexican food you're looking for.

As for no software for it, there are 78 retail game out currently and an additional 128 titles available for download on the eshop. You may not like the games, but saying there are is no software is just blatantly false.

Pretty much. Instead of bashing on Nintendo, why even buy the the system at all? Who drops 300$ on something without doing the proper research?

19James89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 19James89
Member since 2013 • 30 Posts

If the Wii U does 'flop' or becomes an 'abject failure' it's not because the Wii U is a poor console (far from it) it's because Nintendo never supported the Wii U properly. To release a console with not a single must have exclusive and virtually no marketing all the while expecting to achieve a sales figure of 9 million for its first fiscal year on the market was absolutely bonkers.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jaysonguy

@19James89 said:

If the Wii U does 'flop' or becomes an 'abject failure' it's not because the Wii U is a poor console (far from it) it's because Nintendo never supported the Wii U properly. To release a console with not a single must have exclusive and virtually no marketing all the while expecting to achieve a sales figure of 9 million for its first fiscal year on the market was absolutely bonkers.

No

The Wii U is a poor console, it's a console that's about 6 years behind as far as tech.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28  Edited By ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

@herox95 said:

@Coolyfett Hey listen mate. Adults do actually play Nintendo games, especially Wii U. I'm one of them.

The reason I hate Sony is not because of their games (I like their games, I do!), is the company itself, not the games or console. They are, to me, a bunch of greedy bastards who will happen to hop upon anything like a puppy pleading to remove a chain from it's leg and they will instead wound it (note that this is only an example, not reality, but reality is about Sony does do threats). They'll threaten to remove your PS+ account and lock your console, FOREVER. How many people have reported this? Over 9999!! Basically, 20 million people have.

Nintendo happens to have about, hmm, what was it? 7000 employees, that's including NOA, NOJ, NOA the rest (lol I don't know how many states Nintendo is in. They're everywhere).

The Wii U aren't floppin' any time, guys. Please understand. You know what the Golden Ages is? The days of reality where Nintendo RULED the gaming world, or universe, for that matter. Nobody spoke about Sony or Microsoft. They were weak and tiny compared to Nintendo, right now and in the future, they will be. I'm not fanboy, but I've been with them since, hmm, the SNES era. I've lost count of how many consoles Nintendo has released. xD

Just accept reality. Nintendo WAS great, not now.

19James89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 19James89
Member since 2013 • 30 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

No

The Wii U is a poor console, it's a console that's about 6 years behind as far as tech.

That's not factually correct is it? Also if what you say is true then the architecture must be far older in the Xbox One seeing as the Wii U has more native 1080p/60fps games.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jaysonguy

@19James89 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

No

That's not factually correct is it? Also if what you say is true then the architecture must be far older in the Xbox One seeing as the Wii U has more native 1080p/60fps games.

Yes it's correct.

Also the games that are 1080p/60fps are basic games. The Wii U can't do a game like COD or Assassin's Creed at that resolution.

That's why Assassin's Creed has that fog to cover up what it can't handle during the game, the same fog that's used on the 360 and PS3.

That's not even counting how behind the single touch pad is on the Wii U controller.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Let's leave System Wars language in System Wars. Their is a correct way to discuss this kind of information, and an incorrect one. A System Wars thread title, a link, and a one liner is not the correct way.