RetroManHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#1 RetroManHD
Member since 2013 • 148 Posts

I'll get straight to the point, "I want to buy a Wii U", but I see too many different comments on the internet about the life time left of the Wii U... some say it's already dying, whilst others say it has another few years left. So as you can imagine, I don't want to spend money on something that's not going to be around for much longer.

The last few days I've been reading the reviews for Mario Maker and I have a strong urge to want to play this game. The level editing really appeals to me and sharing my creation with others, plus this led me to read reviews for Mario Kart 8, Splatoon and Smash Bros. and want to play these also.

My opinion is that now is a good time to buy a Wii U?

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Now is the best time to buy a Wii U, great games, great fun, and great replayability. Have to live in the now, cant wait on tomorrow, it may never come.

The Wii U is what it is, its a now system, its future is in question, who knows what may happen, but i would go ahead and get a head start on the fun, these games wont die, so i would focus on getting them.

RetroManHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RetroManHD

Thanks mesome713...

I own a PS4 and love MGS, Battlefield and Driveclub at the moment, but what's missing is some light hearted, arcade games. When-ever I go into GAME I'm always drawn toward the Wii-U stand when I see the Mario games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@retromanhd: Yeah, its a neat little system, its library is not gigantic unless you count all the indie games etc, but its got plenty of great exclusives with very diverse genres. Local coop, dual screen play, and lots of different controllers, its a great multiplayer machine. It can also play Wii games if missed out on some classics.

Nintendo also sells used ones in bundles and stuff for cheap prices on Nintendo store online. The Super Mario Maker is a cool bundle though.

RetroManHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RetroManHD

I was actually looking at the Mario Maker bundle, I really want to play some Mario again and that game really appeals to me.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Worst time.

It's a dying console that will be around for a year before it's replaced with no support at all.

You're paying a premium for a console on it's last legs.

Wait and get one 50-75% off next year, you've waited this long no sense paying a premium now.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@retromanhd: I'd do it if it appeals to you. I ended up with quite a Wii U collection and lots of great exclusive games. I still haven't even bought SSB4 and MM yet. But it is a now system with great games to look forward to. Xenoblade Chronicles X, Zelda U, and SMTxFE are high on my list. Plus that since it has so few systems sold, it will most likely become a collectors item in the future.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Worst time.

It's a dying console that will be around for a year before it's replaced with no support at all.

Wait and get one 50-75% off next year, you've waited this long no sense paying a premium now.

I completely agree with this. If you haven't bought one already, then the price isn't low enough for you. It WILL go down, probably within the next year. The library isn't going to get much bigger, but the existing library is already fantastic. You already missed the zeitgeist of playing those games with everyone else, so you might as well wait for all prices to drop.

HOWEVER, Mario Maker is in its prime right now, and it's the best game of all time, so that (plus the existing library and the promise of Xenoblade, Star Fox, and Zelda) may be worth the price right now. I know I wouldn't be able to resist Mario Maker right now if I didn't have a WiiU yet. It'd be worth $300 to me. But it was worth that at launch for me, so take that as you will.

RetroManHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RetroManHD

@Jaysonguy said:

Worst time.

This is my dilemma, agreed... I don't want to spend premium price on a console that's not going to be around much longer... then on the other hand! If I wait till next year and the Mario Maker community has died down too I will have missed out! But if I get as much enjoyment from it like I think I will regardless of the price I pay, what does it matter... you only live once?!

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@JordanElek said:
@Jaysonguy said:

Worst time.

I completely agree with this. If you haven't bought one already, then the price isn't low enough for you. It WILL go down, probably within the next year. The library isn't going to get much bigger, but the existing library is already fantastic. You already missed the zeitgeist of playing those games with everyone else, so you might as well wait for all prices to drop.

HOWEVER, Mario Maker is in its prime right now, and it's the best game of all time, so that (plus the existing library and the promise of Xenoblade, Star Fox, and Zelda) may be worth the price right now. I know I wouldn't be able to resist Mario Maker right now if I didn't have a WiiU yet. It'd be worth $300 to me. But it was worth that at launch for me, so take that as you will.

I can't agree that Mario Maker is the greatest game of all time. There is nothing but badly designed levels on it that I've seen so far minus about 6 levels so it's far from the greatest game of all time at least in my opinion.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Even if the Wii U did only have a year or maybe 2 left, the good games for it won't disappear.
I assume there will be a good bundle or two for the holidays, might be a good time to grab one.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jaysonguy

@retromanhd said:
@Jaysonguy said:

Worst time.

This is my dilemma, agreed... I don't want to spend premium price on a console that's not going to be around much longer... then on the other hand! If I wait till next year and the Mario Maker community has died down too I will have missed out! But if I get as much enjoyment from it like I think I will regardless of the price I pay, what does it matter... you only live once?!

Yeah but here's the thing, if you get it now for Mario Maker (which excuse Jordan he's an alcoholic) you'll have some levels.

If you wait until you're not paying the highest price possible there's going to be 100 times that when you get it.

I'm someone who got a Wii U at launch. I didn't know they'd set a world record for longest time with zero software at all (totally true, they own that record with the Wii U) and I had no idea they'd alienate third party companies so nothing showed up on the console. It's one of those "ehh maybe if I had to do it all over again maybe not" but I've had it for years now and play it maybe every few months.

There's some good games on the console (by my count about 5 or 6 good games and another 3 or 4 worth your time but not that great) but they're not going anywhere.

You have the holiday season and spring which is going to be filled with software elsewhere. Plus a lot of the titles you're looking forward to on the Wii U will probably be on the next Nintendo console instead.

I just don't see it as a good idea. I don't like the idea, I'm not a huge fan of the Wi U and Jordan loves the Wii U and he says it's a bad idea also. In this thread you pretty much hit the two most opposite people who aren't out throw fanboy crap at you, just regular investment in hardware help.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Waiting to purchase one when a certain price drop or fire sale happens is smart. The only problem will be buying games or at least most of the first party games. Some of them are expensive right here and now. Wait until you try and find some of the more obscure OOP titles and watch the prices balloon. As an example, Pikmin 3 (new) is not cheap and people are saving new copies for a rainy day to sell. Used is not cheap either. One thing Nintendo has going is how many of the first party games hold and increase value.

RetroManHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RetroManHD

Thanks for the input guys!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@retromanhd:

I bought the Wii U at launch 2012.

It hasn't had a proper price drop in a long time, if you waited this long...you should at least wait for a kickass price drop.

$125-$150 for a refurbished model.and $200-250 for a brand new Wii U.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts
@retromanhd said:

I'll get straight to the point, "I want to buy a Wii U", but I see too many different comments on the internet about the life time left of the Wii U... some say it's already dying, whilst others say it has another few years left. So as you can imagine, I don't want to spend money on something that's not going to be around for much longer.

The last few days I've been reading the reviews for Mario Maker and I have a strong urge to want to play this game. The level editing really appeals to me and sharing my creation with others, plus this led me to read reviews for Mario Kart 8, Splatoon and Smash Bros. and want to play these also.

My opinion is that now is a good time to buy a Wii U?

Now is the time to get a Wii U specifically because of Splatoon and Mario Maker. The following for these two games is growing everyday, and Nintendo keeps adding new content for Splatoon; and well, gamers are adding new content for Mario Maker every day. There are many other Nintendo games that are just plain fun, and will be playable for many years to come even after the next console comes out, and official support for the Wii U has ended.

The other reason to get a Wii U is to have a console with a Gamepad and play games with the Gamepad. Nintendo could have tried to make a console with the most expensive tech available at the time for a regular gaming experience, but instead they gave gamers new ways to play games with the Gamepad. Splatoon and Mario Maker are the two popular games right now that are showcasing what the Gamepad can do to bring unique gameplay experiences. Eventually Star Fox Zero is going to come out using the Gamepad in a unique way as well, and I am predicting that Star Fox Zero is going to be another hit. There will be Star Fox Zero threads later with the same kind of enthusiasm you are seeing now for Splatoon and Mario Maker.

RetroManHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RetroManHD

Thanks Collie_Lover

That's what I find interesting about the Wii-U... Nintendo must've known what kind of hardware MSOFT and SONY where going to use for their next-gen consoles, but Nintendo created a different experience, they took a risk. I'm an old-skool gamer, so the arcade look and feel to some of the Wii-U games really appeals to me and is something that I think is missing from the XB1 and PS4 games.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bunchanumbers

@retromanhd: the gameplay is top notch. I still enjoy Mario Kart 8 to this day and Splatoon owns my soul. I preordered that game since the first test fire and I'm still learning things about it. Nintendo just makes games that are exceptional. Whether or not that warrants the purchase of a Wii U is up to you to decide though.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@retromanhd: Yeah it's very likely that NX is out at the end of next year. I would say you're probably too late. The games on the system are awesome, but basically what you see is what you get. Everything on the system is pretty much out. You won't be getting many new games for it. So if you like the current games out now (and the set of announced games), then you can look into maybe getting a refurbished Wii U for $200. But I'll leave it for you determine if it's worth it - as I said, you can see everything the system has to offer, since everything for it is basically released.

FYI, Mario Maker is awesome. Especially if you enjoy creating things. Splatoon is also really good. Both of these games are my current GOTY contenders. But at the same time, they are basically the only major releases so far this entire year for the Wii U. Xenoblade is the only other major title set to release this year. Again, another amazing looking game, just the quantity of games is very low.

Heading into 2016, we'll get Star Fox and Pikmin 4. Maybe Zelda U. I wouldn't be surprised if that was it. Zelda U I'd imagine will get the Twilight Princess treatment and get a NX port. But yeah, while these 3 games will be amazing, quantity is still an issue.

RetroManHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RetroManHD

Thanks again guys!

My head does tell me it's a bit extreme buying a new console just to play a handful of games, but is £200 a big deal if I do manage to get 12 months out of it, especially if I know I'm going to enjoy the games?? My choice of course!

The_Truth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 The_Truth
Member since 2015 • 53 Posts

Id wait for NX to come out and get it when they are trying to get rid of them. Splatoon isnt worth a console for, and mario maker should still have its content up

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Collie_Lover

Nintendo shouldn't drop the price of the Wii U until the other companies drop the price of theirs. They should just stay $50 under the competition for the entire generation of the other two.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bunchanumbers

@retromanhd: See that's just it though. It won't just be the games you're getting from SMM until its over. The entire library is out there and its awesome. There's dozens of games that will most likely keep your attention if you like great gameplay and level design.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jaysonguy

@bunchanumbers said:

@retromanhd: See that's just it though. It won't just be the games you're getting from SMM until its over. The entire library is out there and its awesome. There's dozens of games that will most likely keep your attention if you like great gameplay and level design.

No, not dozens

A dozen if you have average to low standards.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Jaysonguy said:
@bunchanumbers said:

No, not dozens

A dozen if you have average to low standards.

IGN Ranked the top 25 games for all consoles. A game called Child of Light ranked high on PS4 and Xbox One list, but that same game didnt even quailfiy for the Wii Us Top 25 list, too many good games IGN stated.

tiny_rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 tiny_rick
Member since 2015 • 284 Posts

Its kinda the worst time to pick up a wii u with nx on the way. If you wait a bit there will be price cuts, I dont think youll get a full year out of it. The content is going to be saved for nx

RetroManHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RetroManHD

I find it a bit weird though, that if the U doesn't have much life left, why are they planning on releasing potential system selling games like Mario Maker and Zelda?

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#28 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

I love the Wii U and I think it's never too late to get one. Now is a fantastic time with the amount of exclusives it has. However, as much as I love the system, it's probably best if you get one cheap. Maybe one of those refurbished ones? So you can have more cash to get the games you want.

RetroManHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RetroManHD

@Kenny789:

@Kenny789 said:

I love the Wii U and I think it's never too late to get one. Now is a fantastic time with the amount of exclusives it has. However, as much as I love the system, it's probably best if you get one cheap. Maybe one of those refurbished ones? So you can have more cash to get the games you want.

I agree... I'm looking on eBay at the moment.

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

Well if history repeats itself Nintendo will say some big news about the NX this E3 2016. By E3 2017 practically all the news you need to know about the NX will be out. Then November 2017 the NX (or whatever the new official name it will be) will hit store shelves.

So can you wait two years for a better (and probably backward compatible) console?

tiny_rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tiny_rick

@retromanhd said:

I find it a bit weird though, that if the U doesn't have much life left, why are they planning on releasing potential system selling games like Mario Maker and Zelda?

I wouldnt really call Mario Maker a system seller game, but zelda has been planed for a while now. If I had to guess though, it will probably end up like twilight princess (it being on GCN and Wii) on the wii u and NX

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@retromanhd: the only games on the system with any major replayability are Splatoon, smash bros and mario kart 8. Super mario maker does too but it's a traditional type of multiplayer like the other 3 games.

Games like super mario 3d world, donkey kong tropical freeze, pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, wonderful 101, captain toad, are all good games but you'll play through them once and be done with them (unless you're a hardcore fan of that particular franchise and play through it multiple times, I don't think many would though)

Genres are lacking- there are no open world, RPGs (xenoblade is coming), tactical games, story games, third person (Splatoon) and first person (call of duty? Zombi u) shooters are slim pickings. Most games are some sort of 2d or 3d platformer.

If you can get one now for like 100 or 150 off Craigslist its worth it. You really just have kt think about much fun you'll have with smash or mario kart, and make your decision from there.

CathInShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CathInShadow
Member since 2014 • 42 Posts

I think there is definitely enough there to get it now. I do think what you are saying about the community is a good point. You have some really good games there already, like Splatoon, Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Maker, Runbow and a lot of other great games. Not all games have to be party games or replayable to be good though.

There are also more games coming out at the end of the year.

You could, of course, wait for it to drop in price but it really depends on if you want to have fun now or save money.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Collie_Lover

@cathinshadow: Nice post. I was thinking of making a list, but your link is better.

CathInShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CathInShadow
Member since 2014 • 42 Posts

Thanks @Collie_Lover :3

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

make sure you have a powerful vacuum to suck off the layers of dust it will collect

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

Why wait when all the fun could be had now. Buy refurbished and used games.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts

I have the same dilemma. There are a ton of games that I want to play on WiiU (Mario Maker, MH3U, DCC:TF, Wind Waker HD, 3d world, etc) but if the NX is going to be backwards compatible I might as well just wait.

That would make buying the NX a day one purchase, because it would already have a library.

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 calway55

Refurbished Wii U sold by Nintendo with Wind Waker and Nintendo Land $235

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jaysonguy

@calway55 said:

Refurbished Wii U sold by Nintendo with Wind Waker and Nintendo Land $235

Refurbs are trash, I spoke about this earlier.

He's already throwing money away, if he decides to go this route let's not make it a complete waste.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

OP, the Wii U does not have much of a future, imo. And I say this as a huge Nintendo fan. I truly expect the NX to come out holiday next year, after an announcement at E3. I just don't think Nintendo can withstand all the negative Wii U press for more than another year.

With that said, the Wii U is a fun console. And it's existing library is already pretty great. So the question is, are there enough games on it now that you want to play? How many good games are needed to make it worth your money? Do you care about off-tv play or the virtual console? Only you can answer those questions.

RetroManHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 RetroManHD

@Grieverr: I'd buy a Wii-U tomorrow to play Super Smash Bros. Mario Kart 8 and Mario Maker, I'd just hate to get one and find the next day that Nintendo announce the end.

tiny_rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tiny_rick

@retromanhd: The end is pretty much announced...

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Collie_Lover

This is not a dilemma. Every person has to decide if a given console is worth it to them. If you wait until the middle or end of the console's generation to get one, you are going to get it for less than the launch price with a large selection of games. The downside to waiting is that you are missing out on playing the games new when everyone else is playing them. Most of the games Nintendo makes will continue to be fun off-line years down the road, and there is nothing stopping you from playing and enjoying last gen games. Not everyone has moved on to this present generation. What are they playing?

RetroManHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 RetroManHD
@tiny_rick said:

Looks like Nintendo are releasing a new Wii U bundle on 30th October, would they really release something like this if the end was near?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jaysonguy

@retromanhd said:
@tiny_rick said:

Looks like Nintendo are releasing a new Wii U bundle on 30th October, would they really release something like this if the end was near?

Yes, they're getting rid of old stock

No one wants the console.

tiny_rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By tiny_rick

@retromanhd said:
@tiny_rick said:

They have to get rid of it all somehow, bundling is the easiest way to incise people. Even when NX is announced officially they will probably still try to sell as many bundles as they can while people are remotely interested in wii u's. Bundles dont mean an extend life span

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 calway55

@Jaysonguy: Yes, I suppose if you say so. Well, with the news that PlayStation has dropped price, maybe Nintendo will follow.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Collie_Lover

@calway55: The irony...nice.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jaysonguy

@calway55 said:

@Jaysonguy: Yes, I suppose if you say so. Well, with the news that PlayStation has dropped price, maybe Nintendo will follow.

They couldn't justify the launch price, I don't know what they're going to do now.

The other consoles are getting upgrades and getting rid of old stock. Nintendo is getting rid of old stock but doesn't have any upgraded hardware.

All signs point to new console sooner rather than later.