This topic is locked from further discussion.

GoDsSoN770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GoDsSoN770
Member since 2004 • 964 Posts
I want it!! Slap Michael Phelps on the cover and the game will sell like crazy.

I imagine some pretty cool things can be done using the Wii-mote and nunchuk, as well the Wii balance board...

I honestly think the sport could be simulated quite well. It could probably even be a WiiWare game.

I was thinking of motions similar to the graple beam motion in metroid prime 3, which would simulate the stroke, using both the Wii-mote and nunchuck simulating both hands as well. Maybe pressing the A button to take breaths. Then the balance board to simulate kicking of your feet. Maybe something like stepping in place. Left, right, left, right, left, right. The speed of these motions and steps would of course simulate the speed the player would swim at. Then maybe throw in a forward motion, to reach for the wall.

Throw in some world wide wifi, with leaderboards, and records.

I could see it being pretty competitive, and pretty fun. Especially with friends.

You know someone is going to attempt it sooner or later, especially after what Phelps just did.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
A whole game just for swimming?
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

So something like this, only on Wii.

Sorry, Sega thought we enjoyed this more.

At this point, you need to take it up with them.

GoDsSoN770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GoDsSoN770
Yes a whole game just for swimming. Did you not read where I said it could be a budget Wii-ware game?
Bass7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Bass7
Member since 2004 • 6614 Posts

So something like this, only on Wii.

Sorry, Sega thought we enjoyed this more.

At this point, you need to take it up with them.

SirSpudly

I feel sorry for the person that bought me M&S Go to the Olmypic games for me....it's....just...so...boring....

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Wintry_Flutist

Yes a whole game just for swimming. Did you not read where I said it could be a budget Wii-ware game? GoDsSoN770

I did.

Arclight_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Arclight_Blue
Member since 2008 • 2830 Posts

[QUOTE="GoDsSoN770"]Yes a whole game just for swimming. Did you not read where I said it could be a budget Wii-ware game? Wintry_Flutist

I did.

even if its a budget wii-ware game it would still suck.

GoDsSoN770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GoDsSoN770
Well let me be a bit more clear. I'm refering to competitive swim racing lol. Not just swimming around with your miis in a big empty pool.
Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts
im trying to think of a good way to say no....
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Wintry_Flutist

Well let me be a bit more clear. I'm refering to competitive swim racing lol. Not just swimming around with your miis in a big empty pool.GoDsSoN770

Swimming and sprinting are bad ideas for sport games. 95% of technique required - and the most interesting technique for that matter - are respiration and energy management which are too subtle to be properly represented and, well, a chore outside of context. You see, it's pure physical work, there's no teamwork/strategy to add more depth and make a proper game.

Not to mention no water, no win.

Arclight_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Arclight_Blue
Member since 2008 • 2830 Posts

[QUOTE="GoDsSoN770"]Well let me be a bit more clear. I'm refering to competitive swim racing lol. Not just swimming around with your miis in a big empty pool.Wintry_Flutist

Swimming and sprinting are bad ideas for sport games. 95% of technique required - and the most interesting technique for that matter - are respiration and energy management which are too subtle to be properly represented and, well, a chore outside of context. You see, it's pure physical work, there's no teamwork/strategy to add more depth and make a proper game.

yep, that pretty much sums it up

personally, I think the TC is watching too much Michael Phelps

Melloshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Melloshi
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts
I was never a fan of the swimming on Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, so I probably wouldn't buy it.
GoDsSoN770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GoDsSoN770

[QUOTE="GoDsSoN770"]Well let me be a bit more clear. I'm refering to competitive swim racing lol. Not just swimming around with your miis in a big empty pool.Wintry_Flutist

They may be bad ideas on other systems, but the Wii is a lot differen't if you haven't noticed. I specified that breathing could be handled done via the big A button on the Wii-remote. As far as energy, would it not take energy to do the specified arm motions, as well as the steps on the ballance board? I sure think so. Even then, they could implement some type of energy bar, which would be differen't for each character, and you could build on it by training. So trying to stroke or kick too fast could drain your energy, depending on the character, and their attribute. If your energy gets too low, of course you'd start to slow down. Theres some depth for ya.

klarfis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 klarfis
Member since 2008 • 232 Posts
I agree with the naysayers here. Competitive swimming (as far as I know--not a swimmer) is all about knowing your own body, training diligently, and making sure your body and mind are in the right place on race day. While technique has something to do with it, I think that all top-end swimmers use almost the same technique. The differences that matter are probably too subtle to represent in a video game that anyone other than Michael Phelps could play. That's why track and field and other Olympic-themed games are usually so lame. But swimming in a game could be pretty entertaining with the right Wii controls. But it should probably be more about exploration than exertion, since it's easier to explore than to exert yourself in a video-game.That's why Endless Ocean worked pretty well.
WiiLover243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WiiLover243
Member since 2008 • 234 Posts
Just get mario and sonic at the olympic games
Dymond7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#17 Dymond7
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts
Umm.. I'll never buy it, because I hate casual games, although It's a good idea for Casuals, but it won't be so fair since the Casual's are what Nintendo care's about, but thankfully the 3rd Parites are making good core games.
GoDsSoN770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GoDsSoN770
Casual? Who said anything about it being casual?
air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts
no
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Wintry_Flutist
[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

[QUOTE="GoDsSoN770"]Well let me be a bit more clear. I'm refering to competitive swim racing lol. Not just swimming around with your miis in a big empty pool.GoDsSoN770

They may be bad ideas on other systems, but the Wii is a lot differen't if you haven't noticed. I specified that breathing could be handled done via the big A button on the Wii-remote. As far as energy, would it not take energy to do the specified arm motions, as well as the steps on the ballance board? I sure think so. Even then, they could implement some type of energy bar, which would be differen't for each character, and you could build on it by training. So trying to stroke or kick too fast could drain your energy, depending on the character, and their attribute. If your energy gets too low, of course you'd start to slow down. Theres some depth for ya.

I have swum and played waterpolo for years, and all I can say is that's utter boring, nowhere close to the experience nor fun. No wonder sprinting/swimming in gaming only makes it as minigames, because what makes a sport game is everything but the physical aspects.

Game_Druggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Game_Druggy
Member since 2007 • 490 Posts

Casual? Who said anything about it being casual?GoDsSoN770

You did, when you said it would be on the wii