Wii still doesn't need a HDD (even with demos)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 effthat
Member since 2007 • 2314 Posts

http://www.vc-reviews.com/news/2008/03/japanese_wiiware_service_go_go_go

Specifically, looking at the size issue, they say this...

"if you were to download all nine WiiWare games it would fill 1703 blocks of your Wii's internal storage, and with around 1840 blocks of memory to play with in total"

Now, some people are going to gasp and freak out, but take a second to think this over. Currently, the entire WiiWare collection can fit on your Wii and still leave room for an N64 game. With the ability to redownload any game you've already bought, we'll have to see games that are roughly 5 times the size of FFCC:MLaK before the available storage becomes a big issue. This should help bury the fear that WiiWare won't be able to deliver without a hard drive.

http://www.vc-reviews.com/news/2008/03/demos_coming_to_the_virtual_console

This one is pure speculation. The coding is greek to me, but the story is interesting and the possibility of demos in the VC is one more bonus to the already amazing network.

MarioMellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 MarioMellow
Member since 2007 • 156 Posts

http://www.vc-reviews.com/news/2008/03/japanese_wiiware_service_go_go_go

Specifically, looking at the size issue, they say this...

"if you were to download all nine WiiWare games it would fill 1703 blocks of your Wii's internal storage, and with around 1840 blocks of memory to play with in total"

Now, some people are going to gasp and freak out, but take a second to think this over. Currently, the entire WiiWare collection can fit on your Wii and still leave room for an N64 game. With the ability to redownload any game you've already bought, we'll have to see games that are roughly 5 times the size of FFCC:MLaK before the available storage becomes a big issue. This should help bury the fear that WiiWare won't be able to deliver without a hard drive.

http://www.vc-reviews.com/news/2008/03/demos_coming_to_the_virtual_console

This one is pure speculation. The coding is greek to me, but the story is interesting and the possibility of demos in the VC is one more bonus to the already amazing network.

effthat

Intresting thanks for that.

My only thing is... sooner or later Nintendo has to offer something.
Some people want ALL OF IT or A LOT. Do they deny them those?
Or make them buy alot of SD cards...

Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jazunn
Member since 2007 • 666 Posts

Want and need are two very different things. The average Wii user may not need to have a Wii harddrive but I am pretty sure a lot of people want a harddrive. I do not want to redownload games, I do not want to screw around with moving stuff to an SD card & I greatly enjoy VC games and I like to download a lot of them. I am willing to pay up to 100$ for something to plug into my and forget about the small storage capacity of the wii.

If at least 2 more million people feel like I do, why shoudn't they offer a HDD?

Arnalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Arnalion
Member since 2006 • 3316 Posts

1. Who has ever been worried about WiiWare?
2. It's still annoying to redownload everything all the time.

The biggest issue IMO with the lack of storage is the non existing ability to download extra content for games like GH.

effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 effthat

Nintendo eliminates the need to store all the games. They even have a section that has all of your purchased titles bulked together.

They've really taken a stand against piracy and create more efficient hardware packages by not putting a 120g HDD in their hardware.

They save you money and store all your games for free.

If a person doesn't have steady internet connection, they aren't very likely to be purchasing a lot of these games. Studies show that the majority of Wii's are in affluent households, the majority of which have a steady internet connection and in a lot of cases wireless networks throughout the house.

The collectors are largely partial to the packaging just as much as the games. As such, DD is something they'll usually pass on.

HDD aren't needed.

effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 effthat

Let me clarify. A HDD would rule! It would be great to see some DLC. It's not necessary was my point, not that it wouldn't be a nice bonus.

Nintendo isn't a fan of DLC because of what it has done to the PC game industry. Games are often rushed out with the paint still wet because whatever wasn't finished can be fixed in the next few updates. Nintendo sees this as sloppy development and it results in poor titles. Nintendo has to walk a thin line here, do they conceed or do they demand quality development. Being a company who has long been known for supior quality, they choose to not cater to shoddy developers and unfinished projects.

skanjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 skanjos
Member since 2006 • 647 Posts

dude seriusly no the only good(graphically)game coming is ff:cc and it takes 200 blocks out of the memory.and its in the first release,if you say now now no the wii doesnt need it ,except if you own all n64 games on vc but till next summer if 5 more games come like the ff:CC then we are screwed(no i dont want to redownload every game i own )

also a hd is the first thing to come(before voice chat)cause it will be a major help in upcoming mmos for wii(nexon has signed a contract with nintendo so a pay to play mmo is on the way ,maple story 2 crossing fingers)

MrMartinLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 MrMartinLee
Member since 2003 • 1091 Posts

effthat, thanks for the very clear & well-reasoned argument. It's nice to see... Still, I'm also among those who want a HDD for Wii.

Games like Guitar Hero can use DLC to extend the life and enjoyable playtime of the game, and extra songs aren't necessarily things that didn't make it into the game due to deadlines or developer laziness. There may not have been room on the game disc in the first place...

Also, I'd hope Nintendo would see that its loyal customers are missing out on something the competition is offering. If it would make DLC possible on Wii, I really think it would be a mistake to never develop that possibility.

effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 effthat
Ironically, I've received more resistance to this topic in the Wii forum than the system wars forum.
ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ozzsoad
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts
Seeing as how I only have a little over 100 Blocks on my Wii, this is a problem. I've said it many times before, I don't need an HDD, I just want to be able to use an SD card. That'd be more than efficient for me and it's not much to ask. All that needs is a firmware update.
Avatar image for POkemonfreak101
POkemonfreak101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

#11 POkemonfreak101
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts
I honestly HATE the fact that if you want more space, you delete your games and download it later. I want all the games i purshased at anytime to be available on my my wii channels without having to redownload. I just don't like it. And how hard can it be to make an update to allow USB harddrives to work and be able to play the VC or WW games off of the harddrive? Sorry for my rant I just want the wii to be able to use a hdd
Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jazunn
Member since 2007 • 666 Posts

Ironically, I've received more resistance to this topic in the Wii forum than the system wars forum.effthat

Of course, I am betting that in the Wii forums the user use the Wii as their main console hence they want more options and possibilities for their wii. I wouldn't care about a HDD if I owned a 360 because I would be getting most of my DLC from there.

Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Cyber-
Member since 2007 • 4026 Posts

its lame we are pushing the limits and still there is no ease on some memory.

Even if its not a HDD (I am a full supporter of the HDD Wii Stand) then they should put less limitations on the SD cards.

I dont want to erase games just to fit others, I dont want games being gimped just because they dont want to fill up the memory, im tired of not getting bigger VC games because the lack of memory, I KNOW there are some devs not making games on Wii because they dont have these flexibilities, and most importantly games like GHIII and RB cant have DLC because of this crap.

Its getting to the point of insanity and the excuses become more and more ridiculous. Out of all the criticisms I have had for the Wii this is the biggest one.

MrMartinLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 MrMartinLee
Member since 2003 • 1091 Posts

[QUOTE="effthat"]Ironically, I've received more resistance to this topic in the Wii forum than the system wars forum.Jazunn

Of course, I am betting that in the Wii forums the user use the Wii as their main console hence they want more options and possibilities for their wii. I wouldn't care about a HDD if I owned a 360 because I would be getting most of my DLC from there.

Exactly this.

Lunar52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#15 Lunar52
Member since 2006 • 2538 Posts
A 10 GB HDD would be convenient.
thebisonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thebisonx
Member since 2003 • 2203 Posts
The whole idea of deleting and re-downloading games you've purchased is a little silly, in my opinion. It works, but it feels kind of unnecessary. Still, it's not the end of the world, so who cares.
ljlrj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#17 ljlrj
Member since 2007 • 14800 Posts
Nintendo Needs 1 Fast
boostud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 boostud
Member since 2004 • 1242 Posts

Ya know, it seems as if Nintendo has fallen a generation behind.

Everything we see on the Wii is what should've been on the gamecube. There was original talk back in the day about using SD cards as the storage standard on the Cube. Online was also planned, but fell through.

I'm sure the Wii will be the same. Talk and speculation about something 'really good' to be added to the console, and yet...fail to be delivered, only things falling off the radar.

Come on Nintendo , we're still waiting for Megaton!!! How many years ago was that? lol

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Everything we see on the Wii is what should've been on the gamecube. There was original talk back in the day about using SD cards as the storage standard on the Cube.boostud

I can understand not using SD cards for the Gamecube. They were more expensive and less used back then. I remember when the SD adapter was first announced, I didn't even know what an SD card was. For those who don't know, the plan was to allow SD cards to be used in the memory card slot via an adapter to allow for much larger storage space. Nintendo probably thought it wouldn't be worth it to release a product that wasn't understood by the general public at that point.

Come on Nintendo , we're still waiting for Megaton!!! How many years ago was that? lolboostud

Ah, the memories...:lol:

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
The whole idea of deleting and re-downloading games you've purchased is a little silly, in my opinion. It works, but it feels kind of unnecessary. Still, it's not the end of the world, so who cares.thebisonx
During the Wii's lifespan I would agree with these sorts of statements. But I don't know about you, but I still use my SNES. So applying the same thoughts to the Wii, if I'm playing this in 15 years from now do I have any reason to believe I can still redownload them when I want? I would probably expect the service to just be turned off eventually. Then you must have them stored somewhere locally. Enter the options. Seeming as of now the SD cards are kind of your only way to do a local backup, I would assume they could just do something like ozzsoad has mentioned. Either that or a USB external drive... I just hope the solution is generic enough that when nintendo doesn't want to support the Wii anymore, I still have plenty of options to get me running again in the case of a hardware problem.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
Give me a firmware update to let me us an external USB HDD. The only thing they are good for currently is charging my PS3 controler. I think nintendo has a long way to go.
Cyber-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cyber-
Member since 2007 • 4026 Posts
if nintendo does not wanna use the sD cards for more storage then they should have made a bigger internal memory. AT least 4 gb
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#23 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

The lack of additional storage space is probably the biggest problem with the Wii. The fact that there is such little space makes the system seem a little behind its time. I don't even look at the new VC releases anymore because there's no point as I refuse to delete a game I've already downloaded just so I can have enough space to download another. I should not have to do this, ever.

This is just like the problem some Wii's are having with dual-layered discs; more and more seems like they rushed the Wii into development.