Why get a Wii U now?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

livinitup01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 livinitup01
Member since 2004 • 1245 Posts

Ok, I've been a Nintendo fan forever and loved the Wii from beginning until the end (Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Skyward Sword, Xenoblade and Last Story supporter; need I say more?). I now have a huge backlog of excellent Wii titles and don't see a huge reason to get a Wii U. I mean, it won't even upscale SD games to HD. I know there's a bunch of AAA titles on the horizon, but not too much I want atm. Also, the Wii U gamepad battery life is a major concern.

I have tested the Wii U and it's cool, but feels like it's missing something and that it was a tad rushed. Nintendo seems to be struggling with the Wii U at the moment, and I feel like it will be redesigned in the near future (high capacity battery built-in, kinda like Wii Motion Plus).

With all that said, why get a Wii U now? What drew you to Wii U?

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#2 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

I've been a Wii fan from the beginning til end as well and what drew me to the Wii U was simply the games. I didn't get mine at launch though, I got mine on my birthday last July and I thought it was a good time to finally pick one up. I kinda wish I waited until the bundles came out (especially the Windwaker one) but I have no regrets whatsoever. I played Assassin's Creed III, Batman Arkham City, and a bit of Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros. U. Finally got my hands on Pikmin 3 a little later and I was blown away by how it looked and played. Picked up some games on sale namely Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Just Dance 4, ZombiU, and Need for Speed: Most Wanted U. Then I picked up Splinter Cell: Blacklist and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD. I'm currently playing Wind Waker and I plan on finishing Blacklist after then ZombiU then NSMBU. Quite a backlog :P

What happens after I beat those games? Well I still want to buy The Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Batman Arkham Origins, Call of Duty: Ghosts, and Super Mario 3D World. I'm also thinking of getting Lego City Undercover and I might consider Deus Ex: Human Evolution, Ninja Gaiden 3, and Darksiders II if I can get them at a really good price.

I understand that the Wii U is not for everyone and it definitely has its flaws. I could easily get the other games on the PS3 or PC but unfortunately my PC isn't as good as it used to be and I'm crazy that way for wanting to play 3rd party games on the Wii U. I was thinking of getting a PS4 this year but there just aren't any games I'm interested as of now to warrant a purchase. The Wii U, however, is taking a lot of cash from me so I can't afford a PS4 anymore even if I wanted to.

tl;dr edition: It has games I want and that's all I honestly care about.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Yeah, I actually anticipate some changes like you mentioned at E3 2014.

Some good games on the horizon too.

It'll never sell like the xb1 or ps4 but it can still be a great console.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

I guess it comes down to preferences.

At the moment, I've got 9 really good WiiU titles to play through, and the battery life really isn't a concern to me (if I'm playing for too long at a time, I can easily just plug the controller in and keep playing)...plus the Mario+Luigi U bundle looked great, so I gave it a shot.

I don't regret it in the slightest.

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 moltenix
Member since 2008 • 2487 Posts

Wii U games I wanted to play this year: Lego City, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Super Mario 3D World

The system might not be as powerful as PS4/XB1 but games like Wind Waker and SM3DW still look absolutely stunning. Heck, i'm playing Assassins Creed IV right now and even that looks pretty good.

Battery life on the gamepad isn't great and needs to be charged often. The Wii U pro controller is amazing though and works wonders for games that don't utilize the gamepad.

The system isn't perfect but there are some great games for it that can't be found anywhere else and that's more than worth it for me.

blaaksheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By blaaksheep
Member since 2006 • 135 Posts

I went for the Zelda edition WiiU at a good price and i have to say im quite impressed with the system. ive found some third party games to be the best versions on WiiU. i bought Rayman legends, Tekken tag, Splinter Cell, Need for speed, Ninja gaiden and they have all been improved for the WiiU, they can all be bought for relatively cheap aswell.

Along with exclusive like Wind waker, new super mario, pikmin 3 & mario world 3D My Wii U has a fantastic library. my last console was an xbox 360 and im not missing it at all.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

well, if you buy it today or friday you can get a hell of a deal....probably the best before next years black friday...plus the zelda bundle is limited edition.

youll be ready for donkey kong, smash bros, mario kart, and X next year.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

The games. If NSMB U, Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Nintendoland, Wind Waker HD, Rayman Legends, etc. interests you, then get one. If not, don't.

My personal opinion of the system is that despite the not-so-many-games-yet-situation, it seems like a great Nintendo console. And the future Wii-U games is definitely not something I'd like to miss.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#9 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

@livinitup01: Well that's a hard question. As of right now as others in this thread have stated, it actually has some solid titles right now and at the least got it's "Launch kinks" worked out. It's also the cheapest on the market. I have heard stories that Nintendo is working on making the gamepad better when it comes to battery life but I honestly don't see a major redesign for at least another year. When you look back at console life's cycle, usually after a couple years is when the "Slimmer" design comes out.

I am one who doesn't give a rat's ass about high end visuals. I don't play heavily online because I seem to only encounter scumbags and "stop having fun" people. And I have a TV so I don't need fancy TV features and for me, its about what has games I want to play. So far neither the PS4 or Xbox One have had any games I'm rushing out to play but the WiiU as of right now does. I could list the good titles, but everyone here already has and it would sound redundant at this point. I don't buy things on "potential" which seems to be the mantra of Sony and MS where they're saying "sure our launch games are kinda medicore right now and our systems have some issues but down the road, there will be so much potential!!" I'm sorry, I don't buy stuff based on "potential" and have to wait down the road for the really cool stuff. I'll hold on to my money thanks and when the thing that shows off "said potential" comes out, then I might spend some money. If the PS4 had been backwards compatable, I might have considered one because at least I could play old PS3 games while waiting for good stuff to come out.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

@livinitup01: What drew me to Nintendo and the Wii U...Simple. I was sick to death of my 360. Hadnt played my Wii in along time. It was time to go back to Nintendo and become a better person again. Cause playing 360 for 4 years really made me turn into an a real jerk like most gamers on Xbox.

And as for the gamepad. PLUG IT IN AN PLAY. Not a big deal.

Kubidong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 Kubidong
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Because of Mario.

hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 hotdiddykong
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

Right now, especially in the holidays its the best thing to get over the next gen consoles

People buy the Next gen consoles because they know whats gonna happen

RIGHT NOW, the Wii U is killing it and has a ton to play and use