Why doesn't the DS ever connect for online play in hotels?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

I travel for my job a once or twice a month and stay in hotels. How come when I try to connect and play Mario Kart online it never connects with the hotel WiFi? I would assume the WiFi at the hotel would be the same as in a coffee place where I have had success connecting...

Anyone know the answer to this??

Thanks

Ehlohim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ehlohim
Member since 2007 • 293 Posts
My college ran out of dorms so I spent a semester at the Comfort Inn. I couldn't use their WiFi either and they looked at me pretty strange when I brought my DS to the front desk. Strangely enough, I couldn't use the college's WiFi either once I was back in the dorms. Seems like the best thing to do would be to just get that Nintendo wireless USB gizmo.
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

Here's my THEORY... if we have anyone who's got actual smarts on this subject feel free to chime in, but here goes:

Most of the time, WiFi in hotel rooms costs money... usually $10 U.S., which is a complete rip-off if you ask me, given some of the speeds I've observed. You need to get a password for the WiFi from the front desk and yes, they will look at you VERY strange when you walk up to the front desk with a DS... they look at you like that when you have a question about something they should know the answer to, so something this alien is gonna down-right confound them.

You need to confirgure your DS to the WiFi in question (which is handled on each game cart, so on "Metroid" you go under the 'Multiplayer' menu to the 'Configure WiFi'). In some cases when required you need to input a WEP code which is a security code that allows only intended units to access the signal... it's an encryption security step that's designed to keep casual voyeurs from hacking into the system, although it is widely known that such encryption can be broken usually under a minute by software which is widely available. I think (not SURE, but I think) that the $10 charge most hotels institute gets you that WEP code for use on the hotel's wireless network. Coffee shops and airports that offer free wireless for their customers are usually wide-open access points. I'M NOT AN EXPERT, SO PLEASE DON'T QUOTE ME. But I think that's the problem you're facing in your average hotel.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Here's my THEORY... if we have anyone who's got actual smarts on this subject feel free to chime in, but here goes:

Most of the time, WiFi in hotel rooms costs money... usually $10 U.S., which is a complete rip-off if you ask me, given some of the speeds I've observed. You need to get a password for the WiFi from the front desk and yes, they will look at you VERY strange when you walk up to the front desk with a DS... they look at you like that when you have a question about something they should know the answer to, so something this alien is gonna down-right confound them.

You need to confirgure your DS to the WiFi in question (which is handled on each game cart, so on "Metroid" you go under the 'Multiplayer' menu to the 'Configure WiFi'). In some cases when required you need to input a WEP code which is a security code that allows only intended units to access the signal... it's an encryption security step that's designed to keep casual voyeurs from hacking into the system, although it is widely known that such encryption can be broken usually under a minute by software which is widely available. I think (not SURE, but I think) that the $10 charge most hotels institute gets you that WEP code for use on the hotel's wireless network. Coffee shops and airports that offer free wireless for their customers are usually wide-open access points. I'M NOT AN EXPERT, SO PLEASE DON'T QUOTE ME. But I think that's the problem you're facing in your average hotel.

ston3henge

I think you're probably right that you have to manually configure the DS. Just so you know, most hotels actually don't charge you anything for WiFi; at least not any of the ones I've stayed in.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's because you need a gateway that can only happen through Internet Explorer (or something that has the same things like Maxthon).

If you travel and want the DS online buy the adapter (one of the only times I'll suggest buying it, it's a waste for 99% of the people) and then hook up your laptop to the hotel's WiFi and run the adapter off the laptop.

BowserJrfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BowserJrfan
Member since 2007 • 166 Posts
you can buy a portable wifi plug or if the hotel has an internet / computer room, try using wifi there
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jaysonguy

You have to install software for the WiFi adapter so there's no chance at all a hotel will let you do that.

BowserJrfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BowserJrfan
Member since 2007 • 166 Posts

^ worked for me when i went

dont know how then

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jaysonguy

^ worked for me when i went

dont know how then

BowserJrfan

Some hotels just have an open system but for many you have to agree to the TOS for that hotel's internet connection.

meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts

Yeah this is well known to business travelers that hotels and quite a few other places have restricted wifi you have to pay for. Some hotels charge 100 dollars an hour or even ten dollars a minute for wifi access.

Have you never seen the locked icon when searching for a wifi access point. Seriously read the damn manual it tells you that certain places have the wifi access sealed until they unlock it for you.

lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
I got mine to work at a whitespot last night.
AlCoCeR_AlVaRo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 AlCoCeR_AlVaRo
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts
I've been a resort manager (Hotel) for 3 years now and I've never had problem connecting my DS to our connection and neither have mycolleagues with their DS.Oh, and we don't charge for Wi-Fi. So i really don't know what the problem with your DS is.
atomD21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 atomD21
Member since 2004 • 1116 Posts
Unless the Hotel says they offer "FREE" WiFi, you may as well not bother trying to hook your DS up to it, because it won't work. It's the same way at Panera Bread, which does offer free WiFi, but part of it involves going to a gateway site which requires you to agree to their TOS prior to doing anything else. Bottom line, don't be surprised if you run into quite a few WiFi hotspots that suddenly go quite cold when you try toconnect your DS to them.
Famicomman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Famicomman
Member since 2006 • 2467 Posts
Actuelly I was recently on vacation and my room had Wi Fi and all was unlocked. However when I tried to enter it did a perpetule establshing connection. So I thought oh well. I could race at home anyway. THen one day im out side enjoying an iced coffee trying to beat my Pokemon game when I notice that there is a, and I think it was a Hilton across the street. I decied to test the Wi Fi. And it worked from right where I was sitting.
EagleRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 EagleRain
Member since 2006 • 120 Posts
Yeah, its awesome when people or businesses dont set a password for there wireless networks.