Why do people say Pokemon is childish?

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mariomaker26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mariomaker26
Member since 2008 • 98 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion here so no flaming! I think that Pokemon is a fun strategy game. Don't get me wrong though, it's certainly not the best RPG out there, but neither is it the worst. The only good Pokemon games in my opinion were the Kanto and Johto games. I play Platinum mainly for the Wi-Fi. Now that my opinion is out of the way, back to the question, "Why do people say Pokemon is childish?"

Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

They say it's childish because mostly everyone got into it when they were younger. And it's kinda easy for the most part.

And the anime. Have you seen it?

TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TaMuK711
Member since 2009 • 3367 Posts

The TV show is REALLY kid oriented, I think that's the main thing. I picked up Platinum as well after not playing a Pokemon game since I was little playing Blue, and it's still just as fun as back then:P

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

You play as a child
It has a cartoon series
It has cartoon movies
It has children's clothes
One of it's largest partners is Toys R Us

Etc Etc Etc

I can see why someone not familiar with the franchise could see it as a child's game/franchise but once you actually investigate it you see that it has a myriad of levels that include everyone from the novice to the experienced gamer.

It just depends on how much you're interested

menosdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 menosdemon
Member since 2009 • 518 Posts

ash was a woman

Brawler-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#6 Brawler-Dude
Member since 2008 • 1418 Posts

people say it is because mostly kids play but other people can to. Its not like on the the box it says "this game is for kids only' anyone can play pokemon no matter what your age.

Hiro4523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hiro4523
Member since 2009 • 141 Posts

Everyone remebers how childish the TV show was. They then associate that with the games whilst having no idea what it's like.

mariomaker26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mariomaker26

im not talking about the anime. the anime was terrible. im talking videogames lol

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
The games are pretty childish as well.
Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

The mechanics of the game do not seem childish to me at all. Quite the opposite I would say. What with the Pokemon natures (or are they demeanors?), the EV training, the so and so item produces such and such a result when held, the this is weak against that but strong against this other thing...at almost thirty two years of age I have discovered that what I had thought was going to be a kids game is actually rather deep.

I like the cartoon as well though. Team Rocket cracks me up.

Nintend0-BuDDy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Nintend0-BuDDy
Member since 2008 • 639 Posts

because people older than 12 see these Pokemon advertised at WalMart:

and they think, "Kids game"

flowersjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 flowersjf
Member since 2008 • 2856 Posts
I personally think it isn't childish but I don't play those games anymore.
martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

you're character is a 10 year old kid playing against quirky immature trainers, weird pokemon-wanabees, and fat middle aged sex offenders.

but w/e it's a fun game.

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

you're character is a 10 year old kid playing against quirky immature trainers, weird pokemon-wanabees, and fat middle aged sex offenders.

but w/e it's a fun game.

martinX3X
Pretty much this. I like to thyink of pokemon as a kid playground which hides a place for adults in the underground.
Tispers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Tispers
Member since 2009 • 600 Posts
Pokemon is made out to be childish because it first started with the anime, which came out around 1995 or 1996 I can't remember. It was a show made to appeal to kids and children. Next came merchandise, which was also all orientated to appeal to kids. As for the game, it was created to appeal to FANS and not just children. The game is meant for the fans that enjoyed the anime when they were young. Oh that doesn't mean that people who aren't fans can't pick this game up, after all, what exactly is it that has been making us continue to pick up this game no matter how many more pokemon they throw at us? That is, because we are continued fans of the game itself. BTW, I laugh at anyone that thinks this game is childish, cause it most certainly isn't. =D
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 meiaman
Pokemon is made out to be childish because it first started with the anime, which came out around 1995 or 1996 I can't remember. It was a show made to appeal to kids and children. Next came merchandise, which was also all orientated to appeal to kids. As for the game, it was created to appeal to FANS and not just children. The game is meant for the fans that enjoyed the anime when they were young. Oh that doesn't mean that people who aren't fans can't pick this game up, after all, what exactly is it that has been making us continue to pick up this game no matter how many more pokemon they throw at us? That is, because we are continued fans of the game itself. BTW, I laugh at anyone that thinks this game is childish, cause it most certainly isn't. =DTispers
Actually, the anime is based on the game, hence the game came first.
Tispers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Tispers
Member since 2009 • 600 Posts
[QUOTE="Tispers"]Pokemon is made out to be childish because it first started with the anime, which came out around 1995 or 1996 I can't remember. It was a show made to appeal to kids and children. Next came merchandise, which was also all orientated to appeal to kids. As for the game, it was created to appeal to FANS and not just children. The game is meant for the fans that enjoyed the anime when they were young. Oh that doesn't mean that people who aren't fans can't pick this game up, after all, what exactly is it that has been making us continue to pick up this game no matter how many more pokemon they throw at us? That is, because we are continued fans of the game itself. BTW, I laugh at anyone that thinks this game is childish, cause it most certainly isn't. =Dmeiaman

Really now? Actually I think you might be right about that, though I don't seem to remember it that way, living in Canada it might have been reverse.
Hegna1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hegna1
Member since 2007 • 6118 Posts
Was the game based on the manga or Vice-Versa? I really can't remember which came first (mainly because I never read the manga much, but I do know it came before the anime, and has a different storyline).
Lucid1314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Lucid1314
Member since 2007 • 332 Posts

because it's geared towards children.

Hegna1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hegna1

because it's geared towards children.

Lucid1314
Young children don't do proper competitive battling. It's secretly geared towards an older audience.
KALIBARRR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KALIBARRR
Member since 2008 • 111 Posts

[QUOTE="meiaman"][QUOTE="Tispers"]Pokemon is made out to be childish because it first started with the anime, which came out around 1995 or 1996 I can't remember. It was a show made to appeal to kids and children. Next came merchandise, which was also all orientated to appeal to kids. As for the game, it was created to appeal to FANS and not just children. The game is meant for the fans that enjoyed the anime when they were young. Oh that doesn't mean that people who aren't fans can't pick this game up, after all, what exactly is it that has been making us continue to pick up this game no matter how many more pokemon they throw at us? That is, because we are continued fans of the game itself. BTW, I laugh at anyone that thinks this game is childish, cause it most certainly isn't. =DTispers

Really now? Actually I think you might be right about that, though I don't seem to remember it that way, living in Canada it might have been reverse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uokb1SvUwo

1:08 :P

shard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 shard9
Member since 2005 • 150 Posts

there is nothing childish about the gameplay. but the plot and characters are kiddy. pokemon was designed for 8- 12 yearolds wasnt it?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
*points at the anime* blame them, they started the whole thing >_>
mariomaker26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mariomaker26

Was the game based on the manga or Vice-Versa? I really can't remember which came first (mainly because I never read the manga much, but I do know it came before the anime, and has a different storyline).Hegna1
the game is based on the manga and the anime based on a whole different storyline that had neither to do with the games or manga.

Time2ownfuzzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Time2ownfuzzy
Member since 2009 • 28 Posts

I tried watching some of the anime. It was awful. But, when I play DPPt, it's not awful. The games aren't for kids, and neither is the Manga, even though I've really only read one book.

The anime dubbed the pokemon series childish, because it really is for geared toward kids. (Or very enthusiastic fans) Blame the anime for killing the pokemon series, or atleast making it really 'lame', as most people in my class say.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#28 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
I personally think it's childish but there's nothing wrong with older people playing it. Children can enjoy the simple game while older players can get into the whole "EV Training, competitive playing thing". I really can't get into the competitive playing though, I can't see how anyone can but that's just me. EV Training is such a bore :P
Time2ownfuzzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Time2ownfuzzy
Member since 2009 • 28 Posts

Everything about pokemon is childish. SwimmingLuck

Back up you're point. Prove it. WHY is everything about Pokemon chilidish?

SwimmingLuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SwimmingLuck
Member since 2008 • 59 Posts

[QUOTE="SwimmingLuck"]Everything about pokemon is childish. Time2ownfuzzy

Don't you dare tell me what to do. I see it as childish and that's my right. It's purely my opinion and i view EVERYTHING about the pokemon as childish.
rubiks_master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rubiks_master
Member since 2009 • 35 Posts
you have never seen a 40 year old man playing pokemon?
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 meiaman

Yeah, its your right and your view, but people will give you little to no credit if you just state it like that.

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

It's targeted directly at kids, so people for the most part, view it as such. The games however, have an amount of depth in just the battling that I have yet to see matched by any other RPG.

The games as they stand are what they've been for a long time. I'm kinda waiting for that next step, like the jump in graphics from the older Final Fantasy's to the new ones. This may not do anything for the market, but maybe it will. The more effort you put into a series, the better it gets. I'm predicting 4 or 5 years before this massive graphical overhaul occurs, for whatever Nintendo system comes out.

SagaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SagaRain
Member since 2009 • 602 Posts
The show is still on, and young kids watch it?!
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Because some people are immature and childish themselves, so it makes them feel better to call other things those names.
Lunuil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lunuil
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

The strategic aspect isn't childish persay. But the premise, storyline, sprites and concept is all quite; childish. Why do people say that? Because it is basically true.

Lunuil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lunuil
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
That being said, It is none the less an amazing game. Apologies for the double post, but it seems I can't edit.
Hegna1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hegna1
I personally think it's childish but there's nothing wrong with older people playing it. Children can enjoy the simple game while older players can get into the whole "EV Training, competitive playing thing". I really can't get into the competitive playing though, I can't see how anyone can but that's just me. EV Training is such a bore :PKenny789
Takes about 5-15 minutes when I focus. If you can't stand that I'm not sure what you can XP. Also to the guy who's not listing reasons, gamespot calls that trolling when you make a controversial statement without any backing. In the DS board, it's considered controversial to just say a DS game sucks. Pokemon is far from childish if you play competitively. Any teenager/adult who says it is either doesn't understand the system, and can't work with the depth or has never tried it. You might not like playing pokemon competitively, but there's no denying it has great depth and is more than most young children can handle. Pokemon's one of those games that are easy to learn to play, but incredibly hard to master.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Time2ownfuzzy"]

[QUOTE="SwimmingLuck"]Everything about pokemon is childish. SwimmingLuck

Don't you dare tell me what to do. I see it as childish and that's my right. It's purely my opinion and i view EVERYTHING about the pokemon as childish.

If you can't back it up then it has no meaning at all

When you say something and especially the way you did which was all inclusive you're expected to be able to give reasons why you think that way

So yes, prove it

jorler333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 jorler333
Member since 2009 • 891 Posts

The games have a very WIDE audience, but the show is childish.

mariomaker26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mariomaker26

The show is very childish, we can all agree on that. The mechanics of the game, especially DPPt, are very complicated. Especially when it comes to competitive battling. You have to worry about IV breeding, EV training, getting lucky enough to have the right attack strength and type for hidden power (which ties into IV breeding), and all that other obvious stuff.

ShiOokami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 ShiOokami
Member since 2009 • 64 Posts
the anime is very childish to me with their "puns" and just overall show but the game to me isnt childish also the manga which i think runs a MUCH better feal for the pokemon world then the anime does , i wish the anime was based off the manga instead of some random people throwing something together to make some money...
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BrunoBRS

The show is very childish, we can all agree on that. The mechanics of the game, especially DPPt, are very complicated. Especially when it comes to competitive battling. You have to worry about IV breeding, EV training, getting lucky enough to have the right attack strength and type for hidden power (which ties into IV breeding), and all that other obvious stuff.

mariomaker26
sure, but that doesnt make it impossible for kids to play. unless you're into competitive playing, you can ignore most of the stuff in the game battle system. and again, the show's ridiculously childish, and the most seen part of pokemon is the show.
DevilBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DevilBorg
Member since 2009 • 810 Posts
Pokemon is childish. That doesn't make it a bad game though.
rubiks_master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rubiks_master
Member since 2009 • 35 Posts

Yeah, its your right and your view, but people will give you little to no credit if you just state it like that.

meiaman
It was supposed to be funny.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="meiaman"]

rubiks_master
It was supposed to be funny.

lol i think he was referring to the post above yours :P
badhoagie91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 badhoagie91
Member since 2007 • 731 Posts

Why must marketing kill everything I love?

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#49 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

[QUOTE="Kenny789"]I personally think it's childish but there's nothing wrong with older people playing it. Children can enjoy the simple game while older players can get into the whole "EV Training, competitive playing thing". I really can't get into the competitive playing though, I can't see how anyone can but that's just me. EV Training is such a bore :PHegna1
Takes about 5-15 minutes when I focus. If you can't stand that I'm not sure what you can XP.

That is some Poke-concentration o.o I can't stand beating the same Pokemon over and over again and trying to keep up with how many EV points my Pokemon have and stuff like that unless I'm EV training wrong. Still, I'm a teen who still enjoys Pokemon but I can't be fussed and bothered making my little pixelated monsters into Wi-Fi dominating machines.

Hegna1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Hegna1

[QUOTE="Hegna1"][QUOTE="Kenny789"]I personally think it's childish but there's nothing wrong with older people playing it. Children can enjoy the simple game while older players can get into the whole "EV Training, competitive playing thing". I really can't get into the competitive playing though, I can't see how anyone can but that's just me. EV Training is such a bore :PKenny789

Takes about 5-15 minutes when I focus. If you can't stand that I'm not sure what you can XP.

That is some Poke-concentration o.o I can't stand beating the same Pokemon over and over again and trying to keep up with how many EV points my Pokemon have and stuff like that unless I'm EV training wrong. Still, I'm a teen who still enjoys Pokemon but I can't be fussed and bothered making my little pixelated monsters into Wi-Fi dominating machines.

Well 21 Gyarados/seaking is 252 attack with pokerus and power items. Add in vitamins (100EVs right there) which brings it down to 14 gyara/seaking (2 of those are without the power items). Now take the fact that super rod fishing in lake verity only lets you catch gyarados and seaking and it's pretty fast.