When will they make a traditional, gimmick-free console?

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2516 Posts

i thought the NX would be it but I just read some rumors about it and, if they're to be believed, that does not appear to be the case. Their past 2 home consoles have relied solely on gimmicks and had inferior hardware, graphics, etc. Are they ever gonna make a traditional game console with normal controllers and graphics that are up to par with PS4 and Xbox One? From what I remember the GameCube and N64 did this and competed strongly, and didn't rely on these gimmicks.

Will Nintendo ever make a console with games that are the same quality as PS4/Xbox One and can play games that are also released for those two consoles, with the same graphics? I remember Resident Evil 4 and TimeSplitters 2 actually looking the best on the GameCube out of all 3 systems...what happened to those days?

Or am I wrong and is the NX really going to be that console?

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

@Tigerman950: I don't see how the n64 or GC competed strongly. They sold terribly.

Nintendo isn't Nintendo if they didn't innovate. The way I see it is, they tried to make the WiiU more traditional. Made it pretty strong, has a normal controller (yes it has a huge screen on it, but it plays like a normal controller) and it's selling like trash. So the NX, whatever it is, it's going to be different and innovative.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@polishkid99 said:

@Tigerman950: I don't see how the n64 or GC competed strongly. They sold terribly.

Nintendo isn't Nintendo if they didn't innovate. The way I see it is, they tried to make the WiiU more traditional. Made it pretty strong, has a normal controller (yes it has a huge screen on it, but it plays like a normal controller) and it's selling like trash. So the NX, whatever it is, it's going to be different and innovative.

Except that it wasn't strong at all and doesn't have close to a normal controller.

So Nintendo made a console that isn't anything like a mainstream console and it's selling poorly.

As for the topic at hand I don't see them ever making one because they don't have the technological chops to hang with the other companies. Most of their dev teams don't really know how to make high end games. It's like Nintendo devs don't know how to drive and you want them to have a Ferrari, it's just not good.

You give them a vespa and when they go somewhere fast you say good job.

I think Nintendo is comfortable being a cell phone company and getting their profits from there.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

@Jaysonguy: love the analogy haha.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

There is no such thing as a gimmick free console.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Tigerman950:

When has nintendo ever made a console with "normal" controllers?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Jaysonguy:

Nintendo makes the highest end games. They define and perfect genres. It's why they have so many classics in their catalog. The games always stand on a solid foundation with more depth than any other developer. Comparing a game like Uncharted to Mario Galaxy? Uncharted is fcking pre school in comparison.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9723 Posts

Here are the rumors. I hope that they make a proper console. A console that is competitive.

More Nintendo NX Rumours Emerge

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#9 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

The last time they made a traditional, gimmick-free console (the GC), it got outsold by its main competitor by about 135 million units. They won't make a 'simple' console anytime soon, they won't rely on it for good early sales.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@Sepewrath said:

There is no such thing as a gimmick free console.

This. All the consoles have gimmicks that are used to help sell the product. I'm amazed at how many people on gamespot don't know what a Gimmick is

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

I hope whatever the NX is, it is nothing like the PS4 or Xbox One because it won’t be innovative if it is. If the NX is like the PS4 and the Xbox One, we will have 3 identical consoles and PC to choose to game on. That would be EXTREMELY boring. Whatever the NX is going to be, I hope that Nintendo goes full force into Blue Oceans to bring regular gamers back in, and not just loyal Nintendo fans like me.

If you didn’t get a Wii U this generation all you have is a safe, boring, traditional game controller, and you are pretty much stuck with playing glitzy broken games one way. With the Wii U we still have Wii Remotes plus the Gamepad for a greater variety in gameplay options.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

@Collie_Lover said:

"If the NX is like the PS4 and the Xbox One, we will have 3 identical consoles and PC to choose to game on".

I second this sentiment. Looking forward to seeing what Nintendo comes up with.

BurnSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BurnSlash
Member since 2015 • 19 Posts

@polishkid99 said:

The real reason the Wii-U isn't selling well is because they don't support it half as well as the 3ds. The Wii-U is a good console with some good games, but not as many good games as ps4 or xbox. Nintendo really needs to stop pushing mario based games down our throat. Where is Zelda Wii-U? The console needs it badly.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jaysonguy

@Heirren said:

@Jaysonguy:

Nintendo makes the highest end games. They define and perfect genres. It's why they have so many classics in their catalog. The games always stand on a solid foundation with more depth than any other developer. Comparing a game like Uncharted to Mario Galaxy? Uncharted is fcking pre school in comparison.

Yeah, that's a lie that's been going around for quite a while.Glad to see that you parrot it instead of you know, use actual facts.

I love how you don't say that a large portion of their top tier games have glitches that completely break the games.

Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart.

And let's not forget that any kind of leaderboards on Nintendo created titles are useless because people break them in about a week.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#15 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

The N64 had the analog stick gimmick and rumble pack gimmick until Sony create the first Dualshock controler that had all that. The GC had the GBA adaptor to use the GBA as a controler or for displaying some stuff that you couldn't have otherwise and it also had the GBA player adaptor on top of using disc format that no one use

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-58bd60b980002

@burnslash: I see Nintendo publish pretty much the same amount of games on the 3DS than on the Wii but the cataclog is more diverse on the 3DS and it cost a lot less to do a game so of course they made a lot of unique stuff that wouldn't sell on a home consol.

Also the 3DS is supported by 3rd parties because the Vita isn't even a competitor so the only way to publish their game and reach their sale targets is to make it for the 3DS. Publishers know that it won't sell on the WiiU so they don't bother making a version for it

BurnSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BurnSlash
Member since 2015 • 19 Posts

@Coco_pierrot said:

@burnslash: I see Nintendo publish pretty much the same amount of games on the 3DS than on the Wii but the cataclog is more diverse on the 3DS and it cost a lot less to do a game so of course they made a lot of unique stuff that wouldn't sell on a home consol.

Also the 3DS is supported by 3rd parties because the Vita isn't even a competitor so the only way to publish their game and reach their sale targets is to make it for the 3DS. Publishers know that it won't sell on the WiiU so they don't bother making a version for it

Yes the diversity on the 3ds is great. The Wii-U does have good games too. It is a good system. It just needs the 1rst party support from Nintendo. It needed a better launch line up, and it needs (and will get) Zelda Wii-U and Xenoblade X.

I think there will never be a game that will make Wii-U sell at this point in time. I think a proper launch line up would have boosted their units sold.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-58bd60b980002

@Jaysonguy: You really like to shit on everything don't you ? Every game of the NES, SNES and N64 area had glitches. Nintendo games are more notorious exemple because they had the most popular title of those area simple as that Even games of today have glitches but I agree they aren't the same type of glitches

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

ill buy whatever they put out....

if it wasnt for the wii...i would not be playing fps games right now.... gyro in the gamepad lets me play splatoon...

i enjoy their new ideas to gamming. if you dont then dont buy it.

if they go more traditional next gen im fine with that too.

Jut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jut
Member since 2015 • 250 Posts

Forget that, if you want a generic console that's the same as the last one, but with a bit more power, just go and buy a PS4 / Xbox. That angle is already covered by two other companies.

I like the innovation that Nintendo brings. I'm happy with my Wii U, it does exactly what I want it to do. The fact that no-one else really bought one is a shame, but that doesn't stop me enjoying it.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Collie_Lover

Look at the wonderful artwork people are making on Miiverse (ok there is some bad art on there too). Some of the artwork ranges from simple doodling to amazing professional level fine art. All of that will go away when the Gamepad goes away. If you own a Wii U, you know what I am talking about.

Avatar image for deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
deactivated-5938196c2bbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5938196c2bbcb
Member since 2013 • 344 Posts

I can see the NX being a hybrid console. In that it has a tablet like controller that can also function as a handheld when not connected to the console itself. That tablet would have a slot for handheld cartridges while the console itself would have the traditional disc slot.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#24 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I don't think you understand what a gimmick is, because every console has one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Jaysonguy:

Which nintendo games are really broken?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jaysonguy

@Heirren said:

@Jaysonguy:

Twilight Princess

Metroid: 3 and Other M

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Pokemon X and Y

Mario Kart is usually a bug riddled mess but Mario Kart Wii has like three dozen of them.

That's just the ones off the top of my head.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Tigerman950: Probably never because traditional nintendo consoles don't sell very well.

They haven't had a successful gen (as far as console sales go) since the SNES really. and thats subjective since they had no real competition back then (ala Playstation coming in and selling 100 million units in the next gen).

Really, look at N64 sales and Gamecube sales. pretty terrible compared to PS1 and PS2. and those were as traditional as you can get- many would argue the games from those 2 gens are better games in terms of quality and variety than anything nintendo has done recently. but their arrogance in those gens hurt the console sales- "**** you" to third parties with cartridge instead of disc (ever looked at how much it cost to product a game on cartridge than disc? and devs would have to gamble and order x amount of cartridges before the game development was complete, so they may lose money)with N64 and mini-dvd instead of regular dvd with gamecube.

Also they didn't shake their kiddy family friendly persona and thats now stuck with them for life in the eyes of the gaming world.

They hit it big with gimmicks with the Wii, selling 100 million. thats their biggest console success to date.

Well, maybe gimmicks dont sell consoles for them, considering the Wii U sales.

Besides, we all know Wii owners really werent gamers. The majority, that is. 100 million Wiis sold yet only a few million copies of Zelda, Metroid Prime 3, Donkey Kong, Mario Galaxy, and other good titles on the system, while Just Dance and Wii Sports probably sold like 50 million? uhuh.

(yes yes i know Mario Kart sold like 40 mil and Smash sold 10 mil. Those are their 2 top sellers as always)

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jcrame10

@Collie_Lover said:

I hope whatever the NX is, it is nothing like the PS4 or Xbox One because it won’t be innovative if it is. If the NX is like the PS4 and the Xbox One, we will have 3 identical consoles and PC to choose to game on. That would be EXTREMELY boring. Whatever the NX is going to be, I hope that Nintendo goes full force into Blue Oceans to bring regular gamers back in, and not just loyal Nintendo fans like me.

If you didn’t get a Wii U this generation all you have is a safe, boring, traditional game controller, and you are pretty much stuck with playing glitzy broken games one way. With the Wii U we still have Wii Remotes plus the Gamepad for a greater variety in gameplay options.

this is all so opinionated. a lot of people prefer the "boring traditional gaming control". I think the PS4 controller is the best controller made since the Gamecube controller. I HATE motion controls. I will never use them as they are finnicky and just annoying. I was getting frustrated tonight with the motion control parts of Everybody's Gone To The Rapture.

"broken games day one" lmao this summer alone I've played Rocket League, Limbo, Until Dawn, Rapture, Journey, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight and now Metal Gear Solid The Phantom Pain, which is one of the best games I've played in forever. People who dickride Nintendo and are oblivious to other gaming companies are hilarious.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@jcrame10: This summer i played Splatoon, Rocket League, Witcher 3, Limbo, Heroes of the Storm, Cities Skylines, Her Story, Ori and the Blind Forrest, Hearthstone, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Card Hunter, Shadowrun Hong Kong, Runbow, Lego Jurassic World, and MGS5.

Get yourself a PC mate, your missing out on best graphics, free online and mods.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Collie_Lover

I said “broken games one way” not “day one”.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#31 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

What classifies as a gimmick? The Wii's motion control was optional, so it's really just a feature. The Wii U's tablet is optional, so it's really just a feature too. The belief that hardware specs ensure success is shown to false by the Dreamcast and the Vita and others. There's more to it than what's on paper.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

What you call "gimmicks" is what will make the NX successful. Seriously, entering this late in the game with a copycat console of the PS4 and Xbox One would be a huge mistake for Nintendo. They need something new and exciting to get people to buy it when they already have a PS4 or Xbox One.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#33 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@so_hai said:

What classifies as a gimmick? The Wii's motion control was optional, so it's really just a feature. The Wii U's tablet is optional, so it's really just a feature too. The belief that hardware specs ensure success is shown to false by the Dreamcast and the Vita and others. There's more to it than what's on paper.

Gimmick - noun - an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.

Motion controls on the Wii are a gimmick. The Gamepad is also a gimmick. Multimedia playback is a gimmick. Gimmick isn't a dirty word. Some gimmicks just work better than others.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jcrame10

@mesome713: I already own PS4/Wii U/Xbone I see no reason to invest in a PC at this point in time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@jcrame10: That sucks mate, PC could have played majority of your PS4 and Xbone One games with better graphics, free online, mods and so much more. Thats why i went PC, Wii U, and 3DS, best combo ever. But to each their own, if its worth it to you, then its worth it to you.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jcrame10

@mesome713: but then you're stuck with the same nintendo games you've probably been playing since you were 5 and third party games.

You're missing out on sunset overdrive, halo, infamous, last of us, uncharted, ratchet and clank, quantum break, LBP, Scalebound, ect games won't be on 3ds or wii u or PC. Nintendo fans act like nintendo is the only company with first party games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@jcrame10: And your missing out on so many awesome PC games, choices mate, they be hard to make. I cant go without my Nintendo, Blizzard, and Valve, sorry mate, wont happen.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jcrame10

@mesome713: like what? Counterstrike? DOTA? League of legends, world of Warcraft?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@jcrame10: Team Fortress 2, Starcraft 2, WoW, Heroes of the Storm, Black Mesa, Overwatch, Warcraft III, The Stanley Parable, and so many more from them. They make some awesome stuff. PC is best gaming device ever.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jcrame10

@mesome713: I'm not really into the big fantasy mmo type games like wow and Starcraft. I like story driven single player games, those are my favorite and that's why I like PS the best.

I have always wanted to try team fortress though. That game seems good. I'm not a huge fan of FPS games but I do know it's not like a typical shooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@jcrame10: Yeah, i feel you, i cant stand story games though, majority of them put me to sleep. I need my gameplay. Ive been playing Dues Ex Human Revolution for 4 days now and its rough, im pushing through it though, but the story stuff gets boring. If it werent for the fun stealth, i would have dropped the game long ago.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jcrame10

@mesome713: yeah I get that. I like a happy dose of both- last of us, uncharted, infamous. But some games are just too much or too boring- a lot of people like mass effect but I couldn't finish it

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

& people just continue to ignore that pointless blue light on PS4 controller. :P

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:
@Heirren said:

@Jaysonguy:

Twilight Princess

Metroid: 3 and Other M

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Pokemon X and Y

Mario Kart is usually a bug riddled mess but Mario Kart Wii has like three dozen of them.

That's just the ones off the top of my head.

Other M is the only one of those where I came across a glitch and it got patched. Maybe I'm just lucky :)