What's your favorite peripheral made by Nintendo? (Controllers are also accepted)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1 Nintendo4evar
Member since 2016 • 197 Posts

It's pretty obvious by now that we buy peripherals, to "upgrade" our experiences with a console. In the case of Nintendo, what would be your favorite one? Remember, the only thing that I can't really count as a peripheral would be games and the console itself. Personally, I would say the Game Boy Player and amiibos because of the fact that you can play pretty much all GBA games with a GC controller on a big screen and amiibos because they are cool collectables.

Avatar image for deactivated-578f2053b4a13
deactivated-578f2053b4a13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-578f2053b4a13
Member since 2004 • 1671 Posts

The Wavebird.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nintendo4evar

@halvedlife: Yeah, the first workable and successful wireless controller, the only bad thing is there isn't any rechargeable version of the Wavebird and even back in the days, the GBA SP was rechargeable.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

Its really hard for me to commit on a favorite peripheral. The Wii Remote is great for games like Wii Sports Club; Wii Play, first person shooters like Golden Eye 007, The Conduit, The House of the Dead 2&3 Returns, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, Link's Crossbow Training; and any game that you can use a d-pad. The Gamepad is great for user interface with the system; internet browsing; typing; art applications; touch screen games like Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Splatoon (which also uses gyro controls); Star Fox Zero (Gyro Controls and 2 screens), any game the you want play using dual analogue or the d-pad; and off TV play. Tank! Tank! Tank! uses the camera on the Gamepad to take a picture of yourself with a helmet overlay so others can see your face during the game. The NFC and Amiibo are a really unique and a neat feature for the controller and gaming (like in Super Mario Maker). I guess for me it would have to be the Gamepad as my first choice and the Wii Remote as my second choice. But I really don't want to give up either device because they both allow me to play games in different ways where the experience is enhanced beyond a classic controller. To eliminate one of the choices would be to have fewer options in the gaming experience.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Nintendo4evar

@Collie_Lover: Pretty good choice imo, one of the many reasons why I like Nintendo is how they just love to try new things and when those are successful they going to be mainstream. Remember the D-Pad, Virtual Reality, Analog Sticks, Rumble packs (force feedback), successful wireless controllers, handhelds, motion control, dual screen functionalism (gamepad), touch screen, 3D without glasses? You guess it, they were made by Nintendo. Sure some of them weren't CREATED by Nintendo but you can get the idea pretty easily.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#6 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

My first thought was immediately the Gameboy Player. It was a fantastic add-on for the Gamecube.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nintendo4evar

@Ovirew: Can't really argue with that!

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#8 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

The Wavebird is damn good. I have four of them hooked up to my Gamecube. The Wii U Pro controller beats it by a hair. I've been using it on my PC and Nvidia Shield.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

The Super Gameboy

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Gamecube controller is pretty awesome.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

It's so tough to choose just one. So, I'm going to choose three! :P

1. Wii Remote

Despite all the flack Nintendo gets for the whole "waggle" thing, it can't be denied that the Wii Remote was a major revelation. Whenever it was well implemented, the Wii Remote was amazing. It feels great. Games like Wii Sports and Skyward Sword are, I think, really remarkable experiences.

Nintendo really changed the whole conversation with the Wii Remote. They emphasized the idea of expanding the gaming market to attract lapsed gamers or completely new players who had never played a video game before. PlayStation Move and Xbox Kinect were two innovations that came in direct response to the Wii Remote. I suppose we can argue about the lasting legacy of these things - and I'm about to draw a long bow - but if you look at what's now happening with VR on consoles, I think it's clear that, at least conceptually, the entire industry understands the importance of providing completely new and different game experiences.

In other words, it's now not just about improving graphics for the sake of pretty graphics - pretty graphics are no longer the major differentiator that they once were, because there's a broad expectation that games will have great visuals.

Now, developers and publishers have to really think about the overall experience they are providing - is it different than what came before? Is it truly immersive? These are important questions, and they've always been at the heart of how Nintendo operates. I just feel that Nintendo has been schooling the industry for a long time, and the Wii Remote was a great example of that.

2. Nintendo 64 Controller

It's interesting to me that a lot of people don't seem to like the Nintendo 64 controller. I can see why; it's huge, it can feel a bit unwieldy, and the analogue stick movement degrades over time (the plastic housing around the stick is highly vulnerable to wear and tear).

But to really appreciate the N64 controller, you have to go back to when it was new. There had been games with 3D graphics, but the Nintendo 64 was really the first mainstream platform that featured games with true 3D movement. The analogue stick on the Nintendo 64 controller was arguably one of the most revolutionary steps Nintendo - or any company - ever took with video game hardware up until today.

The simple idea that, in Super Mario 64, you not only had full 360 movement, but you could make Mario tip-toe, walk, jog, and sprint...that felt remarkably fresh and different in the '90s. There had never been anything like it. Nintendo was literally teaching the entire industry - and all the players - what a 3D game actually is and how movement in a 3D space should work.

In all honesty, nearly every game today can - directly or indirectly - thank Nintendo, the N64 controller, and Super Mario 64 for the way they play and feel, at least to an extent.

Nintendo hedged their bets a bit with the N64 controller. It was designed to be played in 3 "modes" or configurations (left-aligned, centre-aligned, and right-aligned). In practice, most games used the right-aligned method (where your left hand was on the centre prong, your left thumb on the analogue stick, and your right hand on the right prong with access to the C-button cluster, A and B buttons).

It was versatile, it was highly innovative...and frankly, it was revolutionary. And if you play a game with a fresh analogue stick housing (i.e. a refurbished N64 controller), it still feels great, even today. :-)

3. GameCube Controller

This one needs a big honourable mention from me, primarily because it's historically really interesting and it's also the most comfortable controller I've ever used (at least in terms of traditional "two-handed" controllers).

From a historical perspective, the GameCube controller sits halfway between the N64 controller and the Wii Remote. It's a really clever design.

Whereas the N64 controller had grown quite large and complex, the GameCube controller was simultaneously very restrained (i.e. much more streamlined) and significantly more functional. Remember how those beautifully comfortable shoulder triggers had the "floor" in them, where you could keep pressing down to trigger the "click"? It was masterful and felt great.

Then you had the button cluster on the right, which in my opinion, is one of the cleverest designs I've seen on a game controller. You had this big A button in the centre - like a home position for your thumb. You had the kidney-shaped X and Y buttons surrounding it, and a small circular B button on the left.

The idea behind this was that a player could feel their way around the controller without having to look down at the buttons. For those of us who are experienced gamers, this may seem like a non-issue. But try handing a controller to a family member who has never played a game before! You'll notice they get easily confused about what to press and when. It can be frustrating and not a great experience for them.

The GameCube controller at least tried to cater for this by having a friendlier, more ergonomic design. But due to its clever design, it didn't really sacrifice the functionality required to be more suitable for game enthusiasts.

My only gripe is the slightly flat Z button, which provides unsatisfying feedback - it's a bit soggy with no firm "click" feeling. That is, for me, the only thing that stops this controller from being utterly flawless.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nintendo4evar

@djura: I don't think there's even one thing in your beautiful understanding of why Nintendo make cool peripherals that's wrong, props!

TannerCKG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TannerCKG
Member since 2004 • 33 Posts

Gotta go with the Wavebird

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

@nintendo4evar said:

@djura: I don't think there's even one thing in your beautiful understanding of why Nintendo make cool peripherals that's wrong, props!

Thank you for the kind feedback. :-)

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Wavebird, first real wireless controller.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Peripheral? The Rumble Pack. Nintendo was the first to use rumble in their games and they did it in grand style. Worked great with Star Fox 64 and the rumble stone for Zelda OoT was excellent.

But my all time favorite would be the GCN to GBA cable. It let you connect your GBA to your GCN and you could use it as a controller. Me and my friends would play Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles in my apartment after I got off of work. They'd all show up with pizza and soda and chips and we'd just play the night away. Hell I had one friend move into my apartment for 2 weeks just so that he could be the first one there. Plus my apartment was like 2 blocks from his work so he didn't have to drive across town to get there. It is my favorite time as a gamer and those little cables made it happen.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nintendo4evar

@djura: No problem :D

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nintendo4evar

@bunchanumbers: Yeah Nintendo's invention can make some moments pretty special!

Z00M4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Z00M4
Member since 2016 • 114 Posts

Adding a touch screen to a portable system was their best move. Sticking to one screen may not have worked out as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc06aedd290c
deactivated-5cc06aedd290c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5cc06aedd290c
Member since 2016 • 45 Posts

handhelds with rechargable batteries was a nice upgrade. controller is tough.. wavebird and n64 have dpad problems, classic controller pros sticks are too high, and the wii u pro is pretty average all around but not as comfy as the wavebird.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

1. Wii Remote - I thought it was great. It made party games far more fun (ex. Mario Party), and games designed around it were just more enjoyable (ex. Metroid Prime 3, Skyward Sword, Galaxy 1 and 2)

Otherwise some honourable mentions, NES Zapper, N64 Transfer Pack, N64 Rumble Pack, Super Gameboy SNES

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

It probably has to be the Wavebird. Outside of batteries, it's pure convenience and no gimmicks.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nintendo4evar

@trugs26: Pretty good choice.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

Nintendo's consoles are so unique every generation that I wonder to what extent it hurts sales for new consoles, because gamers get attached to past consoles and controllers. I will most likely buy NX, but I am not giving up my Wii Remotes.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nintendo4evar

@Collie_Lover: Amen.