What Numbers Does Xenoblade Chronicles X Need To Launch With To Be Successful?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Considering that all the titles this year have failed to reach expectations on the Wii U they have all been followed by "well Xenoblade is the real game worth having this year" sometimes paired with "Xenoblade is the first game made for gamers, something the Wii U is missing". Time to put the money where the mouth is.

While other games didn't make the grade this year it's fair to say that Xenoblade should have some great launch numbers. It doesn't have any competition on the Wii U so nothing will take from it's numbers.

I would say for Xenoblade not to fail it needs in the neighborhood of 850k-1 million it's first week. That would bring it to an 8-10% adoption rate with room to grow to about 20%.

With new hardware launching next year this will be the last holiday for the Wii U. Will it go out with everyone buying Xenoblade in droves showing everyone that this is the sort of game that should have been on it from the start or will we see that it's not the software's fault and this is just a piece of hardware people don't want to get behind?

EDIT: Trugs was nice enough to point out that Splatoon overperfomred for the Wii U this year.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

If we're talking sales and measuring success, then we'd need to know how much money Nintendo invested in it in the first place. So yeah, I have no idea. Have Nintendo stated at previous investors meetings their sales targets, etc. for other games?

Oh by the way, not sure if your first statement is true. Splatoon is a counter example that comes to mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

1 million total. I think Reggie stated Wii U games need to meet 1 million to make their money back. This is for a max type budget though, of course smaller games can do well with less.

3DS i think is $250k for max budgets.

And no, this wont be the last holiday for the Wii U. Zelda is coming to Wii U for the holidays next year.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Considering that all the titles this year have failed to reach expectations on the Wii U they have all been followed by "well Xenoblade is the real game worth having this year" sometimes paired with "Xenoblade is the first game made for gamers, something the Wii U is missing". Time to put the money where the mouth is.

While other games didn't make the grade this year it's fair to say that Xenoblade should have some great launch numbers. It doesn't have any competition on the Wii U so nothing will take from it's numbers.

I would say for Xenoblade not to fail it needs in the neighborhood of 850k-1 million it's first week. That would bring it to an 8-10% adoption rate with room to grow to about 20%.

With new hardware launching next year this will be the last holiday for the Wii U. Will it go out with everyone buying Xenoblade in droves showing everyone that this is the sort of game that should have been on it from the start or will we see that it's not the software's fault and this is just a piece of hardware people don't want to get behind?

1 million by the end of the holiday season.

It won't even do half a million in the first week.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jaysonguy

@trugs26 said:

Oh by the way, not sure if your first statement is true. Splatoon is a counter example that comes to mind.

Forgot about that one, Splatoon is a game that overperfromed this year for the Wii U.

Decent numbers for a middle of the road title.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Jaysonguy: Yoshi Woolly World and Super Mario Maker sold like crazy also. And we havnt even reached the holidays sales numbers yet. Its rumored Splatoon might break the 3 million mark in just 1 year, its amazing.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jaysonguy

@mesome713 said:

@Jaysonguy: Yoshi Woolly World and Super Mario Maker sold like crazy also. And we havnt even reached the holidays sales numbers yet. Its rumored Splatoon might break the 3 million mark in just 1 year, its amazing.

Yoshi and Mario both failed Nintendo's expectations this year.

Splatoon is the only title that did as or better than anticipated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Jaysonguy said:
@mesome713 said:

Yoshi and Mario both failed Nintendo's expectations this year.

Splatoon is the only title that did as or better than anticipated.

What where their expectations Senpai?

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Realistically, I don't think Xenoblade X will be commercially successful. I'm expecting good scores from review sites, 8 and 9's mostly, with the occasional 10 from Nintendo focused sites. But due to poor Wii U sales and the fact it's a JRPG, which have lost some appeal in the western market in the last decade outside of key franchises, it simply won't sell well over here.

I do personally think it'll be one of, if not the best game released this year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@spike6958: Im guessing it will actually sell better then the original. All the collectors are sold out, so its already a good sign. Will it sell over 3 million, probably not.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

55 million in NA alone Jay

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

I don't know, I kinda think it will do pretty well due to how barren Wii U's lineup was this year.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

One. Mine.

Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tonindo
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts

I think it's going to flop hard in terms of sales. Fans will love it, but the majority will ignore it. Expecting this game to sell 850k-1 million in its first week is way too optimistic (and delusional), it'll sell somewhere around 150-200k.

Whatever the case I'm going to enjoy Xenoblade Chronicles X when it's released. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

250K, first one sold like crap. Although, there are TV ads coming to NA and UK.

shalashaska_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 shalashaska_
Member since 2015 • 204 Posts

I wouldnt be suprised if splatoon broke 3 million cause new wii u bundle. Xenoblade will follow in the ink of splatoon bundle sales!

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@spike6958 said:

Realistically, I don't think Xenoblade X will be commercially successful. I'm expecting good scores from review sites, 8 and 9's mostly, with the occasional 10 from Nintendo focused sites. But due to poor Wii U sales and the fact it's a JRPG, which have lost some appeal in the western market in the last decade outside of key franchises, it simply won't sell well over here.

Quality aside (whatever that may be has yet to be determined) this game is more niche than many and as such, I doubt it will sell overly well here in the states. I'll be shocked if it does though.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

My first guess is that a niche game on an unpopular console will sell badly.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jaysonguy

@Solaryellow said:
@spike6958 said:

Quality aside (whatever that may be has yet to be determined) this game is more niche than many and as such, I doubt it will sell overly well here in the states. I'll be shocked if it does though.

I think it's fair to say that about the first one, it was pretty mediocre and only sold at one place.

Now it's been three years since the Wii U launched and it's rolled over to 10 million units in people's homes. While it's been a bad year for software the same mantra has been said "as long as Xenoblade comes out this year it's worth it".

This is "THE" title for Wii U owners. It's not a watered down first person shooter, it's not a less successful Kirby clone, it's not a do it yourself game missing most of the pieces. This is a real game with characters and story and locales.

I mean think of it. If you were a Wii U only owner you had to wait until December for a game that featured a story.

If 1 out of every 10 people don't pick this up when it's available it's a failure, there's no way around it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Jaysonguy: Although this game is the most hardcore niche JRPG youll ever see, yes, this badboy will sell. I predict it beats Bayonetta 2 and becomes the most successful niche Nintendo game ever. Im predicting over 2 million lifetime sales.

Also Yoshi is not a flop, the game is selling like hotcakes mate. It will outsell Kirbys Epic Yarn. And its not a Kirby clone, it implements totally different mechanics.

Xenoblade Chronicles X Special Edition is sold out at all major online retailers. This might not mean much, but its something.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

I think it's fair to say that about the first one, it was pretty mediocre and only sold at one place.

Now it's been three years since the Wii U launched and it's rolled over to 10 million units in people's homes. While it's been a bad year for software the same mantra has been said "as long as Xenoblade comes out this year it's worth it".

This is "THE" title for Wii U owners. It's not a watered down first person shooter, it's not a less successful Kirby clone, it's not a do it yourself game missing most of the pieces. This is a real game with characters and story and locales.

I mean think of it. If you were a Wii U only owner you had to wait until December for a game that featured a story.

If 1 out of every 10 people don't pick this up when it's available it's a failure, there's no way around it.

The skepticism in me comes from the fact that "as long as (insert title) comes out this year" has been repeated like a damned parakeet from so many owners in regards to all sorts of releases since 2012. The only difference I find is how that phrase was uttered for well known rather than cult classic titles. I think it needs well in excess of 2 million plus to be the nut breaker people think it will be. As comparisons, what did Mario Maker put up in the first month and what has XC done in Japan?

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

RPGs represent 9.5% of all of the sales in all of the video game genres. http://www.statista.com/statistics/189592/breakdown-of-us-video-game-sales-2009-by-genre/ Assuming Nintendo gamers are an average sample of the video game gamer population, we can guess that the Xenoblade Chronicles X (XCX) should be considered to sell average at around 950,000 in the long term if it sells well (around 9.5% of Nintendo's Wii U owners). IMO XCX should be considered to be doing well at launch if it sells 250,000+ copies in NA. If it sells exceptionally well it will sell above these numbers IMO.

The thing is that Nintendo gamers may represent a greater portion of the Action Platformer genre than gamers of other systems.

Disclaimer: This is all my take on the situation, and there may be problems my analysis since I am not a professional.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@Jaysonguy: How many did the first Xenoblade Chronicles sold on Wii? ...guess it depends if they made profit on it as whole & whether it sold better than Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii). :P

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jaysonguy
@Solaryellow said:

what did Mario Maker put up in the first month and what has XC done in Japan?

Half a million for Mario Maker

80k for Xenoblade

@Collie_Lover said:

RPGs represent 9.5% of all of the sales in all of the video game genres. http://www.statista.com/statistics/189592/breakdown-of-us-video-game-sales-2009-by-genre/ Assuming Nintendo gamers are an average sample of the video game gamer population, we can guess that the Xenoblade Chronicles X (XCX) should be considered to sell average at around 950,000 in the long term if it sells well (around 9.5% of Nintendo's Wii U owners). IMO XCX should be considered to be doing well at launch if it sells 250,000+ copies in NA. If it sells exceptionally well it will sell above these numbers IMO.

The thing is that Nintendo gamers may represent a greater portion of the Action Platformer genre than gamers of other systems.

Disclaimer: This is all my take on the situation, and there may be problems my analysis since I am not a professional.

This is a brilliant, well thought out post.

Here's my counter. The Wii U has zero RPG's and like I said above, this is the first Wii U game with a story this year. I think your numbers apply best to a situation where there is..

• Multiple titles of the same genre
  • A healthy library with many options in multiple genres

I think the Wii U's library skews those results.

@superbuuman said:

@Jaysonguy: How many did the first Xenoblade Chronicles sold on Wii? ...guess it depends if they made profit on it as whole & whether it sold better than Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii). :P

It was a limited release with only one retailer. There were only a million copies offered.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

@Jaysonguy: Thanks. You make some very good points too.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 judaspete  Online
Member since 2005 • 7266 Posts

There is no way the game will sell enough to make any kind of profit. The fact it got a localized release at all is Nintendo sending a thank you note to their fans.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I'm thinking that it will sell around 250k lifetime in the US. This will be considered a miracle and with Japan and EU I could see the total unit sale creep up to the 400-500k area. This should be a crowning achievement. Seriously.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@bunchanumbers: I think your way off mate, its already sold bout that in Japan.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jaysonguy

@bunchanumbers said:

I'm thinking that it will sell around 250k lifetime in the US. This will be considered a miracle and with Japan and EU I could see the total unit sale creep up to the 400-500k area. This should be a crowning achievement. Seriously.

Well here's the thing. The first game got about a million printed but the results were skewed for two reasons

1. Gamestop lost some shipments that showed up later, we're not sure they're all found.
  2. Resellers pounced on the game to make a quick buck

That leaves us with about a million units sold last time but how many were legit? No idea.

The new game is closing in 100k in Japan right now so while it's selling worse than the Wii version it's not a complete disaster.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Jaysonguy: It sold better then the original in Japan. With a very, very small install base. It sold bout 100k in the fist week in Japan. And thats not including Bundles sold, which Nintendo said the game helped sell bundles.

Elaisse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Elaisse
Member since 2012 • 647 Posts

XC came close to a million sales so we shall see.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts

Probably not a lot, but I hope it sells well enough so that they'll still port future Xenoblade games to the west.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#33 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I'm not sure, but I hope it does well. Of course I haven't played the game, but Xenoblade was an incredible experience in every way (and I rarely use the term experience to describe games).

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#34 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

Just picked up a Wii U myself, (not specifically for Xenoblade, moreso for MK8). I kind of want to pick up the original on Wii first, however. By the way, anyone need more Wii friends? My Ninty ID is Allicrombie, feel free to add me. (shameless plug)

Misty_Falls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#35 Misty_Falls
Member since 2014 • 34 Posts

It would be great if it would have a lifetime sales of over 2million. So far the best selling XENO game is Xenosaga Episode 1 at 1.7 million.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Allicrombie said:

Just picked up a Wii U myself, (not specifically for Xenoblade, moreso for MK8). I kind of want to pick up the original on Wii first, however. By the way, anyone need more Wii friends? My Ninty ID is Allicrombie, feel free to add me. (shameless plug)

Congrats on getting Wii U, the original Xenoblade Chronicles is pretty awesome and worth looking for a good deal on.

shalashaska_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 shalashaska_
Member since 2015 • 204 Posts

@mesome713 said:
@Allicrombie said:

Congrats on getting Wii U, the original Xenoblade Chronicles is pretty awesome and worth looking for a good deal on.

Ya looks like the wii u has another awesome exclusive on its hands, been a great year for the wii u!

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Unless another surprise happens similar to Splatoon, Xenoblade CX is going to be a slow performer.

It is a niche title on a system that is catatonic in hardware and software sales near the end of its life cycle.