What is the point of 'Auto-Brightness'?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

So I've had my NN3DSXL for almost a week now, and I've noticed that the screen randomly dims and gets dark sometimes. I was concerned that something might have been wrong with it, but then just as often the screen looked fine. Came to the realization that this Auto-Brightness option was causing it.

Really strange feature, not sure why it is on by default since it is more a hinderance than anything... But I'm wondering just what the feature is meant to do?

My thinking is that the 3DS must be trying to adjust its brightness based on the available light in the room. If that's the case, that's kind of cool. Anyway, if anyone else has this problem, this is likely what is causing it.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

@Ovirew said:

So I've had my NN3DSXL for almost a week now, and I've noticed that the screen randomly dims and gets dark sometimes. I was concerned that something might have been wrong with it, but then just as often the screen looked fine. Came to the realization that this Auto-Brightness option was causing it.

Really strange feature, not sure why it is on by default since it is more a hinderance than anything... But I'm wondering just what the feature is meant to do?

My thinking is that the 3DS must be trying to adjust its brightness based on the available light in the room. If that's the case, that's kind of cool. Anyway, if anyone else has this problem, this is likely what is causing it.

you answer your own question that way...for me it's like a light chameleon,but have difficulty in darkness adaptation.I don't use auto brightness all the time,instead I manually adjust the brightness to match the light condition in a room

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Yeah, it adjusts based on available light there is in the room. It's a convenience feature so you don't get sore eyes if you forget to turn the brightness down when you're playing in the dark. Personally, I like it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

It doesn't really work. Just disable it. My friend thought there was something wrong with his as well, but it's just a crappy feature. I hope all the kids who owns one are able to find where to disable it..

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

For me personally.. no use at all. I really don't like Auto Brightness on any of my electronics.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@Litchie: I hope so, too! Aw well, at least I guess some people are getting use from it. Personally I can't see myself intentionally using this thing, lol.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

@Ovirew: Nah, it's pointless. If you'd ever have to change brightness while gaming, it takes 2 seconds to do it manually.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's because the new battery is still pretty much awful so they have the auto correct on to try to preserve battery life.

In reality all you're doing is getting inferior visuals a the expense of battery life.

Since games are a visual medium always set the brightness yourself, don't allow a really bad power save feature to ruin a gaming session.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@Jaysonguy: Aha, that makes a good deal of sense. Tbh I haven't found the battery life on the N3DSXL to be all that bad, but I guess they figure the more life you can get out of each charge the better.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#10 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

It is nice during the day but at night it does have some problem get the brightness right so I disabled it and everything is fine to me.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@Ovirew said:

@Jaysonguy: Aha, that makes a good deal of sense. Tbh I haven't found the battery life on the N3DSXL to be all that bad, but I guess they figure the more life you can get out of each charge the better.

A lot of cell phones do it too, one of the most common complaints about gaming on a cell phone is fixed when they turn off auto dimming.

I wish Nintendo would be a bit more straightforward with it like "Here, max life is this at optimum performance, if you so choose to reduce performance you can turn on this feature".

I think more people would have positive things to say about the games if they were playing them at optimum settings.