What if the next Nintendo handheld doesn't have a screen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

What if the next Nintendo handheld is actually just the controller half of a handheld and you're supposed to clip it to your phone's case. It would stream the video and sound wirelessly to your phone, along with using it as a bridge for internet access.

Perhaps it could even use your phones CPU/GPU as co-processors. However, the unified architecture of the handheld's own CPU/GPU means developers only have to worry about developing for one platform like any other Nintendo handheld. In theory it'd be cheaper to make and buy at retail, and you'd carry less things around in your pockets.

Yay or nay?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Doubtful. Nintendo does not like to work well with others, and when they do, they most of the time view them as subordinates.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

No thanks. At that point just make something like this that can run Android (if they must lock it down, let it only use USB for charging and use microsd for transferring data from PC to Device) and is about the size of a Samsung Galaxy.

The thing will already by thicker than a high end phone (probably like twice as thick) so maybe they can add space for two batteries in it. Add a second nub where the start/select buttons are. I'd buy that over a smartphone or Vita/DS successor any day. It kills two birds with one stone.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Nay. Get that phone shit outta my damn game industry. AND STAY OUT.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@Master_Of_Fools said:

Nay. Get that phone shit outta my damn game industry. AND STAY OUT.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Then it won't work

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

I wonder whether it will sell.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Pass. Even if a lot of people are playing games on phones nowadays (and frankly, I'm not mad at them for doing so), I don't think the idea of selling a glorified controller as a system works as a portable platform. Just make a better and more accessible handheld, and things will be ok.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#9 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Doubtful. Nintendo does not like to work well with others, and when they do, they most of the time view them as subordinates.

Cheddarchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 105

#10 Cheddarchet
Member since 2006 • 375 Posts

I came in thinking this was a joke thread, but this is actually a pretty interesting idea. It's not something I see them doing in the near future though. As several people have already stated, Nintendo generally doesn't work too well with others, and have stated outright several times that they want to continue developing games for the consoles they created. This doesn't quite fit the bill. And I'm not sure I relish a full transition of handheld gaming into the mobile sector. Is it inevitable? Maybe, but I'll enjoy my traditional handhelds as much as possible in the meantime.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Judging from the hole in the screen plans from Sharp I'm thinking it will be Phablet sized with holes in it for the buttons. the buttons will be clear and won't interfere with the screen if you want to use the whole screen for streaming netflix and the like.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

That would suck. Hard.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Wouldn't work. For starters there are simply too many different smartphones of varying sizes, even the same make changes vastly from one to the next, so to even be able to make something that would fit all of them would be a major headache. Same goes for the guts of the phones, they too are vastly different, meaning a ton of potential compatibility issues and general bugs for games.