What if Nintendo released a 3DS successor in 2014?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
How would you feel about a new Nintendo handheld in 2014? I know what you're thinking, they won't do that to us! And I don't think its very likely either but Nintendo has done this in the past. Imagine a next-gen handheld in late 2014, sporting better graphics, better hardware and possibly rebranded maybe dropping the DS name altogether. Nintendo would never do this right? Well, they've done it before. The Game Boy Pocket came out in 1996, the Game Boy Color in 1998, Game Boy Advance in 2001, DS in 2004. If we disregard the Pocket, that means Nintendo released next-gen handhelds every three years between 98 and 2004. Obviously the DS took off even greater than the Game Boy ever did so it lasted a very long time. Would you be displeased if Nintendo released a new handheld to replace the 3DS in late 2014? What if it had twice the hardware power, or added some unique functionality like a phone? Once again, I'm not saying this will happen at all but its an interesting scenario to think about. I'd be open to it provided it met my expectations.
Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Kocelot
Member since 2011 • 816 Posts

The thing is..

GameBoy Pocket, Color, etc were all generally the same but with added miniscule features.

And I'd probably be like Wtf already?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

They wouldn't..they might release another version of 3DS (cheaper for them to build), not successor..they haven't made enough $$$ from it yet. :P

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bonesawisready5

They wouldn't..they might release another version of 3DS (cheaper for them to build), not successor..they haven't made enough $$$ from it yet. :P

superbuuman
Theoretically that would be the exact reason to come out with a new system. Instead of having to work the 3DS's costs downwards, they could design a new device, price it accordingly and sell it at a massive profit out the gate.
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bonesawisready5

The thing is..

GameBoy Pocket, Color, etc were all generally the same but with added miniscule features.

And I'd probably be like Wtf already?

Kocelot
The Game Boy Color had exclusive stuff I thought. Even Iwata mentioned in the Pokemon X/Y video today how the GBC Pokemon changed things up. It certainly was more powerful than the regular Game Boy.
RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 RiKanKiDD
Member since 2007 • 1059 Posts

Well in the past it wasnt a problem.

Gameboy color could play gameboy pocket games

Gameboy advance could play both Color and Pocket games

the DS coud play Gameboy advance games

The 3DS could play DS games.

So if they were to do that i think 3DS games would still be playable regardless. But they wont do that.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#7 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

One thing about the DS is Nintendo tried to hedge their bets on the new control scheme by releasing it as a third console/second handheld and kept supporting the GBA even after its release (and, in fact, kept coming out w/ new models of GBA). Ultimately, the DS was huge but Nintendo was supposedly prepared to drop it and keep its Game Boy brand in tact if it didn't work out.

In any case, I'd give a new Nintendo handheld a chance for sure. I dunno if I'd pre-order or anything but as long as it didn't turn out to be a Virtual Boy, I am sure I'd wind up buying it eventually.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

That wont happen. Smash Bros is coming to the 3DS, releasing the next handheld would fail lol. Next handheld (not revision) wont be till like 2016.

DJSAV_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DJSAV_101
Member since 2008 • 3701 Posts

I'd wait for the inevitable redesigned version.

danavsbelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 danavsbelly
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
yeah, Smash Bros is coming to the 3DS, releasing the next handheld would fail lol. Next handheld (not revision) wont be till like 2016.
renome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 renome
Member since 2012 • 50 Posts

Not going to happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
I have a feeling Nintendo might eventually nix the 3d from the 3ds.
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

I know what you're saying, but I have my doubts. They just release the Wii U, & haven't even started to make the new Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS & Wii U.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

[QUOTE="superbuuman"]

bonesawisready5

Theoretically that would be the exact reason to come out with a new system. Instead of having to work the 3DS's costs downwards, they could design a new device, price it accordingly and sell it at a massive profit out the gate.

They will just use cheaper plastic, cheaper screen etc etc..it will be cheaper than releasing a new hardware..& what Heirren posted.

I have a feeling Nintendo might eventually nix the 3d from the 3ds.Heirren

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
After how long it has taken the 3DS just to find its feet in the market, I highly doubt they would introduce its successor just yet.
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

I wouldn't buy it, I'm having serious problems using my 3DS over my iPhone. Unless it was basically a Wii U tablet but small enough to go in my pocket, while retaining all functionality. (Plus more) I have no interest

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
It doesn't make sense for Nintendo to do it in this economy, especially considering the 3DS was losing money after the initial price cut. Plus, it's been doing so well lately commercially and with software, it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to release a new one. However, ignoring all reason, if Nintendo did do it I wouldn't feel annoyed but I'd think that they really missed out on an opportunity to build a great library for the 3DS.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"][QUOTE="superbuuman"] Theoretically that would be the exact reason to come out with a new system. Instead of having to work the 3DS's costs downwards, they could design a new device, price it accordingly and sell it at a massive profit out the gate.superbuuman

They will just use cheaper plastic, cheaper screen etc etc..it will be cheaper than releasing a new hardware..& what Heirren posted.

I have a feeling Nintendo might eventually nix the 3d from the 3ds.Heirren

Well they've already done that with the Xl and charged more. I think that was nintendos way of recouping from the 3ds price cut. Most people, now the the Xl is out, go for the Xl. The original model will eventually be phased out and be replaced by a more sound design, I think.
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

It is too early, so they wont

In any case, if it is backwards compatible with the titles i own, they can bring it, i can afford it

The things that do frustrate me, is the absense of news about a US version of Bravely Default, Ni no Kuni (2D one) and latest Layton game

This is a real and fatal problem that no ammount of money can solve

Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#20 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts
A successor, highly unlikely because quality games are now being released for the system. A re-design is inevitable, I am 100% sure that will happen in the coming years, might even happen this year :|
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Not sure while aa new handheld should be such a huge problem. I got the 3DS for it's launch and announced games. If they release another system it doesn't mean the system get's instandly discontinued just like the ordinary DS got Pokemon black/white 2 not long ago

(oh and somehow the WiiU is a half handheld, I used it several times as handheld while myy girlfriend was watching some series I don't care about, so here you go ^^)

coldfirex44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 coldfirex44
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I would indeed be kind of disappointed, as I am only planning on buying a 3DS XL this Sunday and if Nintendo do release a new handheld next year, I wouldn't buy it. Rather, i would wait for another year because Nintendo if for sure to make another one. How Nintendo works: GameBoy Pocket->Gameboy Color->Gameboy Advance->Gameboy Advance SP->Gameboy Advance Mini DS->DS Lite->DSi->DSiXL(released a year later.. i was furious)->3DS->3DS XL->?DS Wii->Wii-U if they do make another handheld they will have to leave out and abandon"SHIP" the 3DS, but if they only make another version of a 3DS (the XL is already out so I don;t see the point) then I see no point in doing that...... this reply has made no sense at all but I would be kinda pissed if Nintendo released a new handheld soon........... Big N :3
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#23 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
They'd have screwed themselves again, after the Wii U failing.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#24 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I would feel like that would be sort of silly. Especially because the 3DS has finally found its pace.

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts
Well I see this zombie thread is back. But it's still 2013, and thankfully only thing they came out with is the 3DS XL. And from what I'm hearing the XL screen is more pixelated then the orginal 3DS. And if that can happen it's not so looking good for the next successor of the 3DS, unless Nintendo fixes the problem soon.
Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts
I'd be very surprised. But if I had the money I'd probably get it day one if it interested me.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

I would indeed be kind of disappointed, as I am only planning on buying a 3DS XL this Sunday and if Nintendo do release a new handheld next year, I wouldn't buy it. Rather, i would wait for another year because Nintendo if for sure to make another one. How Nintendo works: GameBoy Pocket->Gameboy Color->Gameboy Advance->Gameboy Advance SP->Gameboy Advance Mini DS->DS Lite->DSi->DSiXL(released a year later.. i was furious)->3DS->3DS XL->?DS Wii->Wii-U if they do make another handheld they will have to leave out and abandon"SHIP" the 3DS, but if they only make another version of a 3DS (the XL is already out so I don;t see the point) then I see no point in doing that...... this reply has made no sense at all but I would be kinda pissed if Nintendo released a new handheld soon........... Big N :3coldfirex44

Hey, welcome to GS! Please avoid bumping old threads, you could have created a new one instead. Thanks.