What do you want out of a new Metroid title?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba
deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba
Member since 2014 • 322 Posts

Typically when I'm at work I listen to some music to get me in the right frame of mind. I got tired of the same old stuff that I listen to, so I decided to dive into some video game music. I had completely forgotten about the Metroid Prime games and honestly, Metroid as a whole. Other M was a good game, but definitely fell short of my expectations - and coming off of the Metroid Prime Trilogy, that was a tough pill to swallow.

So then, once I hit play on that Phendrana Drifts track my mind was started going crazy clamouring for a new Metroid title. Maybe it's age, but 2007 doesn't feel like it was that long ago (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption), but that's seven years ago! That said, Other M too is only four years old.

I'm hoping that the new Metroid game comes out on the 3DS because I feel like they can do a lot more with 3D than they can do with the Wii U right now. Make it a 2D game again like the old games, though I'd rather have it err on the side of Super Metroid than Metroid Fusion. I can only imagine what they can do with the 3D effect in a Metroid game and with some StreetPass and touch screen features - it can be pretty unique.

I'm definitely getting a Metroid itch and I'm hoping to see the series return this generation. Though ultimately I don't care if it's on the 3DS or the Wii U, I just want a new Metroid game -- sooner rather than later. What about you?

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts

I kind of have the same variations in the way I feel about Metroid. First off, I'm getting an itch to play the game as well. But I'm heavily conflicted on whether it should be 3D or 2D. 3D gives a lot of place for exploration and multiplayer, but 2D can be more though provoking and may add more length to the game.

Streepass is so important to me because it adds more to the game as well.

But my biggest fear is that Metroid will somehow not come to the 3DS, so that trumps all the earlier points I made.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba

@outworld222 said:

I kind of have the same variations in the way I feel about Metroid. First off, I'm getting an itch to play the game as well. But I'm heavily conflicted on whether it should be 3D or 2D. 3D gives a lot of place for exploration and multiplayer, but 2D can be more though provoking and may add more length to the game.

Streepass is so important to me because it adds more to the game as well.

But my biggest fear is that Metroid will somehow not come to the 3DS, so that trumps all the earlier points I made.

That's where I'm conflicted too, because the gameplay in Prime was fantastic, but so is the gameplay in the 2D games. It's a hard choice, but the good news is that Nintendo is planning a future for both 2D and 3D Metroid.

So it has been a while since we released the last one and we're having discussions internally about what we can do next. So at this point we have two different types of Metroid games. We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game. We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we'll be able to share something about them.

It's a glimmer of hope at least.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i want a 3d game...2d will be disappoint for me.

bluedeathking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By bluedeathking
Member since 2009 • 493 Posts

I wouldn't mind seeing another game in the series like Other M if they are willing to fix the problem that Other M had. That or another 2D Metroid set maybe after fusion. I had my fill with the Prime series (four games) I would like the series do something new.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I want Nintendo to deliver both 3D and 2D Metroid games. So it only seems fitting to see a 2D Metroid on the 3DS and a 3D Metroid on the Wii U.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#6 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Make it have the open endedness of Super Metroid with the strong story of Metroid Fusion. Oh and have it be side scrolling.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

This is a hard question to answer. I mean, wanting a new Metroid is easy. But really, if you were tasked to come up with it, how do would you do it?

I want another Super Metroid AND another Prime all rolled into one. I want the exploration and secrets of Super Metroid and the sense of wonder and amazement I felt playing the first Prime. I want the game to be slow and deliberate. I think I would want a side-scroller too, because I like using x-ray scan on walls and floors, and using the environment to get ahead(wall jumping, bombing walls), and I think those mechanics work better in 2D. But I'd be afraid of how it would look. I don't like HD hand drawn graphics. To me, they look like the cheap flash animation cartoons we got years ago. I guess that works in Rayman Legends, but I don't want Metroid looking like that.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#8  Edited By wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Prime 4.

Retro Studios.

Wii U

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

I'm curretly playing Metroid Prime Trilogy and turned the music off after about the first hour of play due to it getting repetitive and annoying on the first game, also I felt like there is better immersion with it off. Is the music in the game worth keeping it on or would you guys suggest to keep it off, just need to see if I need to give it more of a chance.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@juboner said:

I'm curretly playing Metroid Prime Trilogy and turned the music off after about the first hour of play due to it getting repetitive and annoying on the first game, also I felt like there is better immersion with it off. Is the music in the game worth keeping it on or would you guys suggest to keep it off, just need to see if I need to give it more of a chance.

How could you turn off the music when it is so awesome...:/

bluedeathking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bluedeathking

@wiifan001 said:

Prime 4.

Retro Studios.

Wii U

let retro work on different IP and new ones if Nintendo lets them. I don't think they want to be just known for the Prime series and they probably sick of making the same game over and over again. Think after over 10 of one game series you would have your fill of it and need a good long break from it.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#12  Edited By pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
@KBFloYd said:

i want a 3d game...2d will be disappoint for me.

Why settle for one when we can have two?

A 2-D game for the 3DS and a 3-D Prime-style title for the Wii U.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

The Wii U needs to be in 3D. I want diverse worlds, and heavy exploration.

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

Just gimmie some more Metroid Prime, and I'll be good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba

@Pierst179: That could work too, though, I was hoping that if they wanted to retain both styles they'd try to do so in one game. Kind of like what Metroid: Other M did, but far more flushed out. That said, I don't know how well that'd end up working... so it may be better to have them as separate titles.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@haziqagha: I want it to exist.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@wiifan001 said:

Prime 4.

Retro Studios.

Wii U

I don't think retro is working on metroid right now, it's been implied.

bluedeathking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bluedeathking
@haziqagha said:

@Pierst179: That could work too, though, I was hoping that if they wanted to retain both styles they'd try to do so in one game. Kind of like what Metroid: Other M did, but far more flushed out. That said, I don't know how well that'd end up working... so it may be better to have them as separate titles.

well since Nintendo want to incorporate the gamepad into games too show it not useless they can make a Metroid game where on the tv, it can show one camera angle similar to other m, while on the game pad it can be a first person view. they can use the two different angle to hide passways, item, and secrets, maybe even use it to defeated bosses.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I want a 2D Metroid. It was at its best as a 2D platformer. Samus is nimble and agile, and this really doesn't translate all that well into being a 3D, first person bipedal tank. Not to say I didn't enjoy the Prime games but if I had a choice I'd much rather see it return to its roots.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 juboner

It may be silly but I would like to see an actual Nintendo dev. teams take on a Metroid Prime game instead of Retro.

bluedeathking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bluedeathking

@juboner said:

It may be silly but I would like to see an actual Nintendo dev. teams take on a Metroid Prime game instead of Retro.

like what they did with hunters?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba
@juboner said:

Retro is an actual Nintendo team -- Nintendo owns them. It's still an internal team, despite not being a team like Nintendo EAD.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 juboner

@bluedeathking: Didnt know that was scared after I posted I might get a response like this.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 juboner

@haziqagha: Well I meant like EAD of course. I know they are owned by Nintendo.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@wiifan001 said:

Prime 4.

Retro Studios.

Wii U

This essentially. the Prime games took the deep exploration and isolation of Super Metroid and expanded on it successfully. Also Retro are infallible. They've only made extraordinary games.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#26 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

@bluedeathking said:

@wiifan001 said:

Prime 4.

Retro Studios.

Wii U

let retro work on different IP and new ones if Nintendo lets them. I don't think they want to be just known for the Prime series and they probably sick of making the same game over and over again. Think after over 10 of one game series you would have your fill of it and need a good long break from it.

Prime 3 came out in 2007. I'd say that's a good long break.

If Prime 4 released in 2016 it will have been nearly a decade.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Pretty much whatever Nintendo decides to do with it will be fine with me. I mean they have pretty much always done great work with it.

If it's like prime though, I'd like it to retain the pointer controls and have an online multiplayer like hunters just with more balanced out characters (Nerf Trace in other words).

Noved23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Noved23
Member since 2013 • 42 Posts

@haziqagha: Metroid Fusion for the GBA was my first step into 2D Metroid and it is one of my favorite handheld games of all time. I would like to see a Prime series though on the Wii U because I feel that they will really bring out the graphical capabilities of the Wii U. The reason I got a gamecube back in the day was because of Metroid Prime. I remember how a lot of people thought the game was going to be horrible because it was 3D and it blew people away.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

Since the series has basically ended (the last 5 games released were prequels), Nintendo should reboot the series and make Samus a robot. (which btw would make morph ball finally realistic) I was thinking it would be open world and there would be a war between humans and aliens, and you'd have to pick sides, so like a morality system (except that neither side would be "evil") and sort of like the movie Avatar.