TP is fun, but... (possible spoilers)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mynameisjosh657 (1285 posts) -

I keep getting the feeling that it tries too hard to be a "traditional" Zelda game. It's almost like the game would of been way better if it had come out 3 years ago instead of Wind Waker. Don't get me wrong, it is a very fun game, it just seems to fall a bit flat in some areas. Like the Water temple. Was that supposed to be hard? I beat it in about 20 minutes, and the boss was a re-hash of the ameoba boss in OoT, except way easier. The original Water Temple took me a week. It's almost like the makers of TP threw in some things just to make fans of OoT feel like they were replaying OoT. Oh look, a FOREST temple! And a FIRE temple! Although these dungeons are fun, they aren't very original (except for the magnets in the Goron Mines, that was pretty neat). So far the best dungeon was the Ice Mansion, a very original concept for a dungeon. I stopped right before the Sky Dungeon, so I haven't finished the game and I don't feel terribly compelled to finish it. Which is wierd because I'm a rabid Zelda fan.

I've never felt this way about a Zelda game before. Gameplay-wise, it's classic Zelda and it's really fun, but nothing seems to "grab" me like in the older Zelda games. In OoT, I was hooked because it was the first 3D Zelda game. I was hooked on Majora's Mask because it was so dark and different compared to previous Zeldas. I was hooked on Wind Waker because of it's unique style and charm. Twilight Princess... is basically a shadow of Ocarina. Even though it's really good (It's definitely a must-buy game) it lacks so much originality that the previous games had that it ends up being not quite as compelling. Does anybody else feel the same way? I think that the wolf segments are kinda "blah" as well, going on a collect-a-thon to progress the game is SOOOO 1998. Nevertheless, it's a great game and I plan on finishing it up in the near future, when schoolwork doesn't completely consume my life like it does right now. Discuss, flame, whatever. I feel like TP is one of the weakest entries in the series and is overrated, but still a lot of fun.

#2 Posted by mynameisjosh657 (1285 posts) -
ah i feel lame for doing this but... bump
#3 Posted by danneswegman (12937 posts) -
yeah, but just enjoy it for what it is. it's still a great game.
#4 Posted by hionspeed64 (1544 posts) -
I totally agree with. I had the same feeling!
#5 Posted by Dencore (7094 posts) -
The ONLY flaw in that game. It would've been a 9.9 in my book if they focused only on the Twilight World crisis, instead of doing two at once with the whole "reliving OoT' thing too. Which I find OoT's world to be dull. Ugh...such a step back of the awesome world ALttP created. :(
#6 Posted by ShakeNBake1491 (3055 posts) -

ooo just wait til the one that's REALLY for the Wii.. that's gonna be awesome, since they said it would be different

EDIT: and come to think of it.. the only thing that hurt TP was Ocarina of Time... talk about bitter-sweet

#7 Posted by nintendofreak_2 (25896 posts) -
I didn't like OoT all that much but I love TP even though I'm terrible at Zelda games. Although I do agree on some points. I definatley have been down this road before. It feels more like MM to me because of the shape shifting and darker story.*SPOILERS* They even used the skullkid  in the Sacred Grove *ENDSPOILERS* which really made me angry. Then they re-use Ganandorf who is a  classic nemesis but it's always him except in a few exceptions. TP shines though because it brings some origanl items to the table though. I really enjoyed some of the new items like the Spinner even if it useless after Arbiter's Grounds.

#8 Posted by SapSacPrime (8923 posts) -

I think it was supposed to be a fair-well to traditional Zelda gaming and in that it was a success, much like FFIX was the last traditional FF and imo the last good one.  Look at it this way if they screw the next one up you may all look back and say hmmm maybe TP wasn't that bad lol. 

On a side note I found TP mor enjoyable the 2nd time I played it through, maybe because it wasn't the best game to get my head around a new controller for or maybe because I actually beat it properly that time I can't say however.

#9 Posted by FLYmeatwad (553 posts) -
Hmm, I understand where you are coming from and the game seems to be dreadfully easy. I've had it since launch and haven't finished but I also had the displeasure of getting GH2 around the same time and I can't put that down. I wish there was more music stuff in it though, I loved all of the stuff you could do in OoT. The Wolf stuff was fun, but it should have been a little expanded. Maybe not to the extent of Wind Waker, but certainly a little more expansive.
#10 Posted by mynameisjosh657 (1285 posts) -

I think it was supposed to be a fair-well to traditional Zelda gaming and in that it was a success, much like FFIX was the last traditional FF and imo the last good one.  Look at it this way if they screw the next one up you may all look back and say hmmm maybe TP wasn't that bad lol. 

On a side note I found TP mor enjoyable the 2nd time I played it through, maybe because it wasn't the best game to get my head around a new controller for or maybe because I actually beat it properly that time I can't say however.

csliney

That may be true, but I think when the new Zelda for the Wii comes out it will be much more interesting than TP, mainly because Miyamoto himself said that TP is the last Zelda to be made in it's current "form"... not sure what he means, but if that means changing up the Zelda formula then I'm all for it. TP proved to me that the current Zelda formula is on it's way to getting stale. It's not there yet, but if Nintendo doesn't shake things up a bit and re-imagine Zelda, it's doomed to become a rehashed franchise.

#11 Posted by nintendofreak_2 (25896 posts) -

Miyamoto himself said that TP is the last Zelda to be made in it's current "form"... not sure what he means

mynameisjosh657
he means that they are going to quit the Link vs. Ganondorf thing.
#12 Posted by FLYmeatwad (553 posts) -
[QUOTE="mynameisjosh657"]

Miyamoto himself said that TP is the last Zelda to be made in it's current "form"... not sure what he means

nintendofreak_2

Maybe switch to the Gannondorf v. Link thing? That would be great!
#13 Posted by mynameisjosh657 (1285 posts) -
[QUOTE="mynameisjosh657"]

nintendofreak_2

That's interesting, if they made a Zelda with a new lead character I'd be all for it. The Zelda universe has so much potential that hasn't been fully explored.

#14 Posted by Shirley_Temple (5927 posts) -

Off topic I guess, but why am I the ONLY one attacked all the time for criticizing TP?  I criticized WW too, but at least no one rabidly attacked my views on WW.

People act like TP is a flawless gem, when most hardcore Zelda fans don't care for it.

#15 Posted by LightThief (367 posts) -
I agree with you in the sense that there were many similarities between OOT and TP. But I thought that added to the game rather then took away from it. I mean there are similarities because it is based in Hyrule and from what I came accross from an interview about TP, it's based 100 years in the future of OOT. So obviously on such a small time frame there should be many similarities (not to get nerdy on you lol).
Personally I thought TP was the best game of the series, it was nice to see a more in depth and interwoven story. It was kind of the filler for what happened after OOT. They always speak of past events in the Zelda series and through TP we actually got to see what happened in the past awhen we played OOT and how history repeated itself years later.

#16 Posted by solidsnakeEx3 (26413 posts) -

Off topic I guess, but why am I the ONLY one attacked all the time for criticizing TP? I criticized WW too, but at least no one rabidly attacked my views on WW.

People act like TP is a flawless gem, when most hardcore Zelda fans don't care for it.

Shirley_Temple

A lot of people were dissapointed, but I don't think most hardcore Zelda fans don't like it.  Get off your high horse, just because some people enjoy TP doesn't mean they're not a true Zelda fan.
#17 Posted by SapSacPrime (8923 posts) -

Off topic I guess, but why am I the ONLY one attacked all the time for criticizing TP?  I criticized WW too, but at least no one rabidly attacked my views on WW.

Shirley_Temple

The TC (apparently his name is josh) did not say he didn't care for the game, only that he can see where it is risking going stale, and I don't think people disagreeing with your opinion is really attacking.  Also he posted this in his own topic so flamming him for his opinion in his own thread wouldn't be fair :P not that flamming anybody for their opinion ever is mind you...

#18 Posted by frustatedgibbon (1915 posts) -

ooo just wait til the one that's REALLY for the Wii.. that's gonna be awesome, since they said it would be different

EDIT: and come to think of it.. the only thing that hurt TP was Ocarina of Time... talk about bitter-sweet

ShakeNBake1491
the ONLY thing?!?! it was like OOT minus a lot of vital ingredients. such as, lack of likable personailty fuelled characters, likable/memorable places (feels like it kinda craps on the previous incarnations of hyrule), only had about 3 sidequests that were nothing compared to the likes of the biggoron sword trade-a-thon or the many majoras mask side quests. i wanted to be involved in the lives of the people in TP, but the game didnt let me and just pushed me onto the next (slightly depressing and tedious) dungeon. also a lot of the plot is hard to make sense of. the topic creator makes excellent points. well done. but i think how it shadows OOT is probably the least of its major flaws. the main problem is how it shadows OOT BUT it does it in a terrible way and goes a step in the wrong direction of where i was hoping hte series would be going. hope that makes sense haha. b xx
#19 Posted by Shirley_Temple (5927 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShakeNBake1491"]

frustatedgibbon

the ONLY thing?!?! it was like OOT minus a lot of vital ingredients. such as, lack of likable personailty fuelled characters, likable/memorable places (feels like it kinda craps on the previous incarnations of hyrule), only had about 3 sidequests that were nothing compared to the likes of the biggoron sword trade-a-thon or the many majoras mask side quests. i wanted to be involved in the lives of the people in TP, but the game didnt let me and just pushed me onto the next (slightly depressing and tedious) dungeon. also a lot of the plot is hard to make sense of. the topic creator makes excellent points. well done. but i think how it shadows OOT is probably the least of its major flaws. the main problem is how it shadows OOT BUT it does it in a terrible way and goes a step in the wrong direction of where i was hoping hte series would be going. hope that makes sense haha. b xx

I agree on those points, I completely expected an open ended adventure like WW, hell in Ocarina you could beat the dungeons out of order many times.  TP is deeply flawed on many levels, enjoyable, but far from the best.  After playing Oblivion, Wind Waker, and Okami, TP felt too narrow, poorly paced, shallow and stretched thin most of the time.

I mean, the fastest I've gotten out of the first village took like 6 hours of gameplay.  That's too long to restrict Players movements in an Adventure game.  If your going the action route, do all action, if your going the adventure route, give the player more freedom, don't just half ass both ends.

#20 Posted by Dencore (7094 posts) -

Off topic I guess, but why am I the ONLY one attacked all the time for criticizing TP? I criticized WW too, but at least no one rabidly attacked my views on WW.

Shirley_Temple
A. WTF noone has even said anything yet about you, well when you posted this. B. Umm... if that is true maybe because if anyone says something good about it you complain and flame. Want proof, you just dist the game when it was completely off topic and irrelevant to any conversation. C."Most hardcore Zelda fans? What you mean everyone who agrees with your opinion? Hell I think MGS3 and FFXII were the biggest disappointments in their entire franchise, but I keep my mouth shut because I know everyone doesn't have to agree with one another. It's like how I feel that MGS2 and FFX are the best in the series *and yes I've played every single and when I mean every single I mean EVERY SINGLE main numbered games of both series, yes that includes Final Fantasy* and they respect it just like I respect their opinion. D. Windwaker is more hated then TP, but that's due to the kid like theme and graphics. Also that came out like what 4 years ago, TP isn't even 4 months old and people are enjoying it so your going to have arguments.
#21 Posted by Metamorbis (152 posts) -
I actually think that TP doesn't mirror OoT, but builds on it.  I beat TP and then went back to playing OoT: Master Quest and found that I liked TP better in virtually all aspects.  I know that the technology has improved, but I liked more than just the graphics.  The entire game seemed to be a lot smoother and the dungeons were much longer, much more interesting, and less repetitive compared to OoT.

Personally, TP is my favorite Zelda game ever, even though OoT was revolutionary, I felt that TP was a more well designed game.
#23 Posted by Shirley_Temple (5927 posts) -
[QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="Shirley_Temple"]

big_mak123

A. WTF noone has even said anything yet about you, well when you posted this. B. Umm... if that is true maybe because if anyone says something good about it you complain and flame. Want proof, you just dist the game when it was completely off topic and irrelevant to any conversation. C."Most hardcore Zelda fans? What you mean everyone who agrees with your opinion? Hell I think MGS3 and FFXII were the biggest disappointments in their entire franchise, but I keep my mouth shut because I know everyone doesn't have to agree with one another. It's like how I feel that MGS2 and FFX are the best in the series *and yes I've played every single and when I mean every single I mean EVERY SINGLE main numbered games of both series, yes that includes Final Fantasy* and they respect it just like I respect their opinion. D. Windwaker is more hated then TP, but that's due to the kid like theme and graphics. Also that came out like what 4 years ago, TP isn't even 4 months old and people are enjoying it so your going to have arguments.

thank you someone smart i agree with everything u just said i hated windwaker it so *** cuz of the way it looks that is the weakest zelda and if they change Link to not being the main character i would not play anymore thats like changing mario and make him not be the main character  

Wow, I loved Wind Waker, and kudos to your well worded argument using a sexual term as derogatory.

#24 Posted by fitzokoli (3236 posts) -

Lol the orginal Water temple took me like 30mins..It wasnt that hard, it was just semi confusing if you didnt know what to do...The new water temple was in my top 3..I loved the design, it was a pretty neat dungeon...This game is really sick i know what you mean about it being too similar to ocarina but its still really good regardless...I think its an opnion to say its overrated cos  people who havent played Ocarina might feel its really good...I'd give it a 9.3

The Zelda for Wii has been in development for a year or so and is supposed something we havent seen before...Cant wait to see how it turns out..

#25 Posted by MOM-D (5222 posts) -
Zelda TP is different but its fun for me.
#26 Posted by Dencore (7094 posts) -
[QUOTE="Dencore"][QUOTE="Shirley_Temple"]

big_mak123

thank you someone smart i agree with everything u just said i hated windwaker it so gay cuz of the way it looks that is the weakest zelda and if they change Link to not being the main character i would not play anymore thats like changing mario and make him not be the main character

I personally hope they do something new with Zelda, TP is the equivalence of MGS3:S, it perfected the series. I seriously hope Nintendo uses the Wii controller in every way possible. 1:1 sword combat, actual archery, etc. IMHO they could make the new Zelda more like the first one, where the basis was to explore the area to find the dungeons and goodies, yes you know where they are, but you have to go through much land to get to them. I don't mean the so far formula of "Oh go to Hyrule Field and take a right and you get to Death Mountain." Seriously that's stupid, they should make it so you tackle the dungeons in any order you please and travel to them at great distances through mountains, artics, forst, etc. Kinda like Oblivion but not so boring it puts you to sleep, may resemble DQ VIII but with more variety and longer journey. Anyway that's how I think it should be.
#27 Posted by Dencore (7094 posts) -

Lol the orginal Water temple took me like 30mins..It wasnt that hard, it was just semi confusing if you didnt know what to do...The new water temple was in my top 3..I loved the design, it was a pretty neat dungeon...This game is really sick i know what you mean about it being too similar to ocarina but its still really good regardless...I think its an opnion to say its overrated cos people who havent played Ocarina might feel its really good...I'd give it a 9.3

The Zelda for Wii has been in development for a year or so and is supposed something we havent seen before...Cant wait to see how it turns out..

fitzokoli
QFT! Water Temple for TP was one of mine if not my favorite temple of all time! You actually really knew what to do and your objective instead of just examining areas mindlessly.
#28 Posted by Secretidentity (666 posts) -
I do think so...I perosnally didnt play OoT till i played TP, so TP was really really good for me...When i went back to play OoT for the 1st time after beating TP i found out what people meant...It really depends on your Zelda background...If you havent played OoT this game will be really really good, but those who've played OoT might notice too many similarities...ITs a superb game regardless..