Tower Control Mode Added to Splatoon

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By The_Funyarinpa
Member since 2015 • 504 Posts

@the_funyarinpa said:
@trugs26 said:
@the_funyarinpa said:
@trugs26 said:

@jcrame10: So if Arowana Mall Splatzones came up, then everyone would choose sniper. Isn't it still the same problem?

Maybe the maps should be desgined better so one class does not have a large advantage...

I already addressed this earlier. Most online shooter I've played has some set of weapons that everyone uses (i.e OP weapons). This was Splatoon's solution to the problem.

Too bad it caused more problems

Logically and on paper, it's easy to argue against this design. It's seems like it's an annoying constraint and doesn't let me play what I want to play. But in practice, and from my perspective, when I sit down and play the game, I have a lot of fun. Do you honestly sit down and complain about the 2 maps repeating (or if Splatzones isn't on at the moment)? Because once I start playing, I don't really care much about these things. Regardless of the map or mode, it's just fun running around splatting things. Sure it can get boring if the same map is played 6 times in a row, but that's uncommon (1.5% chance). When it happens 3 times in a row, it's not a big deal (12.5% chance). So from my perspective, it hasn't caused more problems.

Overall, I'm not for or against this design, I can see how it looks bad. But in the end, I have a lot of fun playing this game, so they must be doing something right.

When I play, I feel like I am constantly playing the same map, especially when the map is in back to back rotations... I just find it really annoying that there feels like little variety in the game and usually will stop playing for long periods of time. Even now I rarely play the game anymore, it was just too boring and always the same type of game... There are a lot of things nintendo needs to learn about online games still...

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

Maybe once rainmaker comes in they should just randomly select the ranked mode as well then. It would follow in line with this thinking, and probably keep ranked mode way more fresh. Heck they could even add turf war to ranked mode if they wanted.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#103  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@the_funyarinpa said:

When I play, I feel like I am constantly playing the same map, especially when the map is in back to back rotations... I just find it really annoying that there feels like little variety in the game and usually will stop playing for long periods of time. Even now I rarely play the game anymore, it was just too boring and always the same type of game... There are a lot of things nintendo needs to learn about online games still...

your problem is you think because you dont like it...its a fault in the game...but its not.

when i play it. i love it....if it was just a call of duty clone in the online..like map selection..loadout choosing.. and all that it wouldnt be as good and unique imo.

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By The_Funyarinpa

@KBFloYd said:
@the_funyarinpa said:

your problem is you think because you dont like it...its a fault in the game...but its not.

when i play it. i love it....if it was just a call of duty clone in the online..like map selection..loadout choosing.. and all that it wouldnt be as good and unique imo.

your problem is you think because you like it...its a flawless game...but its not.

When I play, I can see the problems they have. The game in concept is unique, but in practice it feels similar to call of duty with spawn camping a kill streak-esqe missiles. Im not saying it is all bad, but you have to admit that there are drawbacks to what they are doing...

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 KBFloYd

@the_funyarinpa said:
@KBFloYd said:
@the_funyarinpa said:

your problem is you think because you like it...its a flawless game...but its not.

When I play, I can see the problems they have. The game in concept is unique, but in practice it feels similar to call of duty with spawn camping a kill streak-esqe missiles. Im not saying it is all bad, but you have to admit that there are drawbacks to what they are doing...

there are drawbacks but not the stuff youve been saying....

you got to realize what you believe is just your opinion... and you try to act like its fact but its not.

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By The_Funyarinpa

@KBFloYd said:
@the_funyarinpa said:
@KBFloYd said:
@the_funyarinpa said:

you got to realize what you believe is just your opinion... and you try to act like its fact but its not.

And thats your opinion that restricting maps and game modes is beneficial. The flip side is you cant say that im wrong because thats your opinion...

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By KBFloYd

@the_funyarinpa said:
@KBFloYd said:
@the_funyarinpa said:
@KBFloYd said:

And thats your opinion that restricting maps and game modes is beneficial. The flip side is you cant say that im wrong because thats your opinion...

your not wrong in your own mind... but you are wrong to me...

thats what an opinion is.... games are subjective. so lets not act like everything you and jcarme said is fact.

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 The_Funyarinpa

@KBFloYd said:
@the_funyarinpa said:
@KBFloYd said:
@the_funyarinpa said:
@KBFloYd said:

thats what an opinion.... games are subjective. so lets not act like everything you and jacrme said is fact.

To be fair, I have distinguished the difference my opinions on the games and the facts of the game. Does the map restrictions lead to repetition of maps? Yes, this is a fact you will play the same maps over and over for the 4 hour period, this is not debatable. What is debatable is if this is a good choice or a bad choice by Nintendo, you would argue that it doesnt matter and the game if fun regardless, I argue it makes the game too repetitive to be engaging among other factors. In my opinion there are flaws with the game, to say dont act like everything I say is fact is absurd, I know the difference between fact and opinion, but people on the other side who believe the game is flawless must take the same considerations.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By KBFloYd

@the_funyarinpa said:
@KBFloYd said:
@the_funyarinpa said:

thats what an opinion.... games are subjective. so lets not act like everything you and jacrme said is fact.

To be fair, I have distinguished the difference my opinions on the games and the facts of the game. Does the map restrictions lead to repetition of maps? Yes, this is a fact you will play the same maps over and over for the 4 hour period, this is not debatable. What is debatable is if this is a good choice or a bad choice by Nintendo, you would argue that it doesnt matter and the game if fun regardless, I argue it makes the game too repetitive to be engaging among other factors. In my opinion there are flaws with the game, to say dont act like everything I say is fact is absurd, I know the difference between fact and opinion, but people on the other side who believe the game is flawless must take the same considerations.

no one believes the game is flawless...they just dont agree with jcarme's complete view of the game...

your complaints are more reasonable....but it just felt to me like you were trying to pass your opinions out as fact is all.

like you said i like the repetitions...it makes you learn how to play the map and then see if your strategy works the 2nd time or even 3 times in a row.

there are flaws with the game but the ones you and jacrme are complaining about arent a big issue for me. but your free to continue critizing it...hopefully i dont get offended :P

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#110 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

Isn't there some BS restriction where if you play this mode once you can't play ranked for 4 hours or something??

Every time my interest in this game starts to peak to the point where I might actually buy it, I hear something new like that and lose all interest again...

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 KBFloYd

@kenakuma said:

Isn't there some BS restriction where if you play this mode once you can't play ranked for 4 hours or something??

Every time my interest in this game starts to peak to the point where I might actually buy it, I hear something new like that and lose all interest again...

no.. you heard wrong.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#112 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

So.... Splatfest is tons of fun.

It really brought out some of the great players.

I'm used to be being top scorer practically every game, but there have been a few matches that I am taught a lesson and feel like a scrub.

It is also frustrating to be teamed up with a bunch of low rankers against 4 level 20's that have already ranked to King and Queen.

Also one match I was teamed 2 against 4. I considered it a victory that I scored over 700 points, we lost 16% to 78%

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@the_funyarinpa said:
@the_funyarinpa said:
@trugs26 said:
@the_funyarinpa said:
@trugs26 said:

@jcrame10: So if Arowana Mall Splatzones came up, then everyone would choose sniper. Isn't it still the same problem?

Maybe the maps should be desgined better so one class does not have a large advantage...

I already addressed this earlier. Most online shooter I've played has some set of weapons that everyone uses (i.e OP weapons). This was Splatoon's solution to the problem.

Too bad it caused more problems

Logically and on paper, it's easy to argue against this design. It's seems like it's an annoying constraint and doesn't let me play what I want to play. But in practice, and from my perspective, when I sit down and play the game, I have a lot of fun. Do you honestly sit down and complain about the 2 maps repeating (or if Splatzones isn't on at the moment)? Because once I start playing, I don't really care much about these things. Regardless of the map or mode, it's just fun running around splatting things. Sure it can get boring if the same map is played 6 times in a row, but that's uncommon (1.5% chance). When it happens 3 times in a row, it's not a big deal (12.5% chance). So from my perspective, it hasn't caused more problems.

Overall, I'm not for or against this design, I can see how it looks bad. But in the end, I have a lot of fun playing this game, so they must be doing something right.

Fair enough. I wouldn't be surprised that they'll increase the number of maps in the rotation later on (once more maps come out). Hopefully that'll make things better for people like you.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#114  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Nuck81: long matchmaking time, unbalanced teams, matches starting 3v3, 3v4, 2v4 constantly made splat fest kind of frustrating. I only played past the fanboy rank then didn't touch it the rest of the day.

You had no choice to do anything but play the splat fest. You couldn't party up with friends or play any ranked mode the entire day. This game is so crazy lol nintendos time or no time at all.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#115 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@Nuck81 said:

I'm used to be being top scorer practically every game, but there have been a few matches that I am taught a lesson and feel like a scrub.

It is also frustrating to be teamed up with a bunch of low rankers against 4 level 20's that have already ranked to King and Queen.

Also one match I was teamed 2 against 4. I considered it a victory that I scored over 700 points, we lost 16% to 78%

I had one match were someone sat at the spawn for like 1 minute and a half and we only ended up getting 14.8% of the map covered. I scored over 700p in that match and in a lot of splatfest matches.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 trugs26

@super600 said:
@Nuck81 said:

I had one match were someone sat at the spawn for like 1 minute and a half and we only ended up getting 14.8% of the map covered. I scored over 700p in that match and in a lot of splatfest matches.

Splatfest was fun. What team did you guys go on?

In Europe, we had Rock vs Pop. I voted Rock. I also maxed out my score and got the "Eternal Rock Boy" rank =D

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#117  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@trugs26 said:
@super600 said:
@Nuck81 said:

Splatfest was fun. What team did you guys go on?

In Europe, we had Rock vs Pop. I voted Rock. I also maxed out my score and got the "Eternal Rock Boy" rank =D

I played in the NA Splatfest. I was team cat which won the actual splatfest matches, but lost the splatfest overall because team dog won based on popularity.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By trugs26

@super600: Does it breakdown the details on which team wins more as well as popularity? (I won't be playing it until later tonight).

Edit: never mind, just saw a video of it. Interesting. So cat won by 2%. I wonder what algorithm they used to determine the overall winner. Even though you guys won the matches, it *might* be justified to introduce popularity. For example, if Team Dog had a higher variance of bad players, this could've factored into the equation, meaning that the higher population was actually a bad thing, hence them winning overall. In other words, Team Dog could have better players overall, but they were drowned out by the bad players due to the high population. I don't have the data, so I'm not sure how they would've figured this out exactly. It'd be interesting to hear the developers exact words on the matter and how they decide these things.

For me, Team Rock won both popularity and the matches :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#119 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@super600: Yeah, that should tell you how good team cat was, considering how many more team dog players there were.

Splatoon plaza was fun today, lots of Miiverse messages talking smack

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#120 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

Tried tower mode and rode the tower to the end..so fun. Tried it again and kept getting blasted. Seems more fun then just splat zone.

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By The_Funyarinpa

Tried tower mode, and I have to say it is the worst mode I have ever seen in my life. The games are so short and are never close at all. No thought was put into making that mode at all. I didnt think spaltoon could get worse, but this is what they put on ranked mode??? And the best part is you cant play anything else in ranked for 4 hours, back to not playing splatoon, how could they mess it up that much...

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 KBFloYd

@calway55 said:

Tried tower mode and rode the tower to the end..so fun. Tried it again and kept getting blasted. Seems more fun then just splat zone.

me too...my favorite mode now...splat zone i cant do good in anymore.... but tower is more team based.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#123  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

Sploosh-o-matic and .96 Gal Deco Heading To Splatoon Tonight

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 KBFloYd
@GameboyTroy said:

OMG.....96gal with kraken????

OP...lol

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By GameboyTroy

@KBFloYd said:
@GameboyTroy said:

OMG.....96gal with kraken????

OP...lol

I think all you can do is try to take advantage of the .96 gal deco's slow rate of fire. Brace yourselves.

Loading Video...

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 trugs26

Sweet! Can't wait to try out these new weapons.

We really need a Splatoon sticky thread.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By GameboyTroy

Splatoon Gets A Brand-New Map Later Today

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

https://youtu.be/_ghZefg24Ag

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 KBFloYd

@GameboyTroy said:

Splatoon Gets A Brand-New Map Later Today

i havnt played it yet...looks like super crazy stuff

Loading Video...

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 trugs26

Played the new map in Splatzones and Tower Control. It's super fun. Snipers and Spawn Beacons are definitely advantageous in this level.