Lazygamer - 8/10

Nintendo Life - 8/10

Gamesradar+ - 4/5

Game Revolution - 4/5

The Sixth Axis - 7/10

Slant - 3.5/5

Tech Raptor - 6.5/10

My Nintendo News - 6/10

"It's been ages since I've had as much fun with an RPG as I did with Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Specifically, I can't remember the last one that was quite so spirited, or that hooked me quite so firmly from start to finish. It revels in the lighthearted and bubbly world of lighthearted and bubbly idols, and that attitude is contagious. Though I went into it skeptical about how well a popstar-themed blend of both the Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei series might work, Tokyo Mirage Sessions never misses a beat."

-9.5 from Polygon

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

wow! I'm surprised at all the positive reviews. I'm definitely going to have to pick this up before the year is up!

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Yeah this is getting surprisingly good reviews. I'll reconsider this game.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

I had 0 interest at all because its TOO japanese looking, but seeing all the reviews and how great the TURN BASED (How often do we get that??) combat is, I'm getting it tomorrow.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I'm legitimately surprised, tbh. I mean, the game was even too niche for Japan. Didn't expect it gaining any more attention overseas.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Preordered Fortissimo Edition..scored better than what I was expecting..too bad censored/change though from Jpn version. *sigh* :P

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Game is actually really good. I'm enjoying it immensely. Expected mediocre, but pleasantly surprised.

Gorillanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gorillanator
Member since 2009 • 867 Posts

I am confused about the title. I get the initials of Tokyo Mirage Sessions are SMT spelled backwards, and that FE stands for Fire Emblem, but why would they hide their two brand names like that? Both SMT and Fire Emblem have had games that sold over a million copies. This would be like if Batman vs Superman had been named Black Underwear vs Red Underwear. The game would get more attention if it were called Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem like it was originally announced as.

pug987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pug987
Member since 2005 • 460 Posts

Any chance this will come out for a platform people actually play on? Or is there an exclusivity deal with Nintendo?

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts

@pug987: No chance. Fire Emblem is 100% Nintendo.. better buy a WIi U :P

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 superbuuman

@yokofox33 said:

Game is actually really good. I'm enjoying it immensely. Expected mediocre, but pleasantly surprised.

Yup very good game actually......anime fans should pick this up. :) :P

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WreckEm711

Great game so far, only one jpop song so far 5 hours in and it was a totally optional Skippack cutscene with no story elements. I normally can't stomach super Japanese stuff but this one honestly isn't bad, glad I took a risk on it!

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

I just get sick of the main character being so supportive of everyone. I wish they would give you an option of telling off one of the girls once in a while in a big way. Everyone cant be so easily made happy and breakthrough their fears all the time. I guess I'm just not that positive of a person.

Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tonindo
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts

Has anyone got the physical version of the game? How are the load times?

I really want to buy this game, but I've read that the load times can be a bit long on the physical release. I know that the digital version has shorter load times, but I prefer physical.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By juboner

@Tonindo: I have the disc, the load times are a little annoying. But I would say its still worth it if you prefer physical over digital. Its not bad enough imo to justify digital. Taking into account I have not seen a comparison video mind you.

Made me look it up http://personacentral.com/genei-ibun-roku-fe-physical-vs-digital-loading-time-comparison-video/

Now I am devastated over my purchase, nah I am still enjoying it and maybe they will patch it.

Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tonindo
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts

@juboner: Thanks! Yeah, it's not a huge difference to be honest. I'll get the physical release.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By juboner

@Tonindo: I did some second counting last night. My game runs a lot differently than what was shown in the video linked. I think they found the worst instances for going into the fights. The longest my fights took to load was about 7 seconds, going to a low of 4 seconds. Going from one isolated area on the main map, to say the city streets, took about 10 seconds.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18  Edited By csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

I have gotten through chapter 1 about 6 hours in. It's an okay game, but it's very cliche and stale imho. I play a lot of games though, so I can understand why people might like this.

To me it's a watered down Persona game, with some improvements to battle, but also some annoyances. On floor 6, for example, there are enemies that can wipe your party in one round and you can't run away. It feels really cheap to have enemies that hit that hard, even it your character is over leveled (there was also this problem in Persona though). Also the mirages respawn super fast, the dungeons are PS2-like and very simple in design. Also, the Tokyo setting is a bit overdone as of late, so I'm a bit tired of it.

It's a very cheesy, poorly localized game (the subs are fine, but the lack of dubs and combat dubs is sad, along with an explanation of Idol culture for Western audiences). It feels they were a bit lazy on that front, but maybe they realized due to poor sales in Japan it wasn't worth it.

The Sailor-Moon like transforms and Unity cut scenes are cringe worthy as is the dialog and story. It's just not for me, so don't let me rain on your parade if you love it. I'm more with the 6/10 reviews personally.

--The load times are decent though for moving around the world, although battle load times are longer than you would expect.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Really good game mechanics and dungeons, but the story and scenarios are vomit-inducing with the Idol theme.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WreckEm711

I've grown to like the idol theme since the game very pointedly does it pretty ironically and much of it is made fun of and frequently points out the absurdity of it. It's like an anime for people who don't like anime, and the only singing cutscenes have 0 story elements in them and are skipable so I have yet to hear jpop 11 hours in.

The combat is amazing, probably my favorite in an RPG, and I really enjoy the dungeons and background music.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 superbuuman

@Bigboi500 said:

Really good game mechanics and dungeons, but the story and scenarios are vomit-inducing with the Idol theme.

Hehehe...thankfully all skippable ;)

Most hated character in game is that creepy weaboo Barry Goodman guy......fan of a little girl like that...Eww! :P

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WreckEm711

@superbuuman: haha I love his character because it's so ironically aimed at all the people who obsess like that.

How far is everyone? I'm in the 3rd dungeon about 18 hours in and LOVE it, best turn based combat I've played honestly.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Made it to chapter two, and don't know if I'll play any more. Just not feeling it.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By superbuuman

@WreckEm711 said:

@superbuuman: haha I love his character because it's so ironically aimed at all the people who obsess like that.

How far is everyone? I'm in the 3rd dungeon about 18 hours in and LOVE it, best turn based combat I've played honestly.

I am glad I am not like him, I like Japanese stuff BUT not to that extent...its also scary to know that there are people like him in reality. :P

At last boss (I think) metal dragon thing..gah!!!...I didn't build up my defense properly for my characters...gah...kept getting trash in the second round...then have to start all over again..tried more than 3 times still failed to defeat it. >_<

I will defeat it..and beat the game tonight!!! ... :P