To old for Pokemon?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nick36001 (96 posts) -

Iv been playing pokemon soulsilver and lately i kind of feel childish being 18 years old playing a pokemon game. Is it just me or am i to old for the game? Do you think you could ever be to old to play a Pokemon game or any game that is marketed to children for that matter? Just interested in your opinions.

#2 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17198 posts) -

Nope. Pokemon is a very fun, addictive and deep RPG. If you are serious about competition in the Pokemon games, it becomes very complex and deep, what with EV training, IVs, natures, movesets and whatnot. Not only that, but, speaking of childish things in general, if you enjoy it, why question it? For instance, if you still enjoy watching Spongebob, why stop? who says you can't? With video games, it's different. a game can be perceived as "childish" and still be of higher quality than an M rated game. (See: Both Super Mario Galaxy games.) So, no, I tihnk that you can't be too old for Pokemon or childish things in general. You still need to have fun as an adult and if that means playing Pokemon, why question it? I will likely still enjoy playing it when I'm 40.

#3 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

Oh... this thread again.

If you enjoy Pokemon, play Pokemon. Worrying about your interests lining up with what everyone thinks your interests should be isn't very mature either.

#4 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -
Yes, pokemon IS targeted for kids, but that doesn't mean that the series has excellent games (at least until B&W).
#5 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8601 posts) -
I have Pokemon white and I am 31 this year. Though my gf's 12 year bro says he is to old for it and just plays CoD zombie
#8 Posted by inb4uall (6506 posts) -

Little kids love pokemon but I;m not so sure that its for kids as I once was. The mechincs are so deep a kids mind would explode. I'm 20 and I love pokemon.

#9 Posted by _BlueDuck_ (11986 posts) -

Nah, play what you enjoy. Doesn't matter if you're in the target audience, plus sometime playing video games can be a time to relive that feeling of childhood.

And if you're worried about other people making assumptions or judgements on you playing pokemon, you can just keep it private anyhow.

#10 Posted by BigBen11111 (1528 posts) -
Nah, you're never too old for Pokémon. Infact, many original fans during the red, blue & yellow, are adults by now.
#11 Posted by videog (327 posts) -

YOU THINK YOU'RE TOO OLD TO PLAY POKEMON

YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO PLAY POKEMON

#12 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

I'm 20 and I still play. You don't just feel "too old" for some things. If you enjoy it, then that is what matters.

#13 Posted by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

Oh... this thread again.

If you enjoy Pokemon, play Pokemon. Worrying about your interests lining up with what everyone thinks your interests should be isn't very mature either.

Pixel-Perfect
Hah, reminds me of something one of the NPCs said in Persona 3. "The more you try to act like an adult the more you look like a kid" Something like that. :P
#14 Posted by TankZorz (1836 posts) -
I just turned 28, just got married, in graduate school, and I still play pokemon fairly regularly. The only people that think they are too old to play Pokemon are too immature to realize that you are never too old for anything.
#16 Posted by Mario_Eater (344 posts) -
You're never too old to play pokemon. How could anyone be told old to play a great RPG game? I'm 18 and I'm still wishing that I could play the latest pokemon...
#17 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8601 posts) -
I just might play some Pokemon tonight because of this thread lol
#18 Posted by BatCrazedJoker (1611 posts) -
There's nothing wrong with playing Pokemon games.
#19 Posted by KBFloYd (14672 posts) -

don't be stupid...of course youcan play pokemon.

#20 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -
Rated E for everyone.
#21 Posted by homegirl2180 (7161 posts) -
24 year-old grad student in civil engineering and I played the crap out of Black & White last year. Probably won't pick up B&W2, but that has nothing to do with any false sense of "(im)maturity." You're 18. You may feel old, but you're still really young. Who a game is targeted towards doesn't change the objective quality of it.
#22 Posted by hotdiddykong (2049 posts) -

apparently, you went backwards.

Heart Gold Sould Silver appealed to all the adults because of the Nostalgia, heck, Iwata showed in the charts that the adult rate rised Massively with HGSS, compared to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum whose audience were mostly kids.

#23 Posted by Twin-Blade (6795 posts) -

I'm 21 and bought HeartGold recently along with a bunch of other jRPGs with my new DSi XL. I don't know how much time I'll spend playing it, but I imagine I'll still get some fun out of it, despite it being quite lighthearted and aimed at a younger audience. I'm mainly looking for nostalgia though.

#24 Posted by CrazyGamingJohn (41 posts) -
There's a stage where teens feel they are too old for pokemon, but after that it can just be played for fun now and then. It's very addictive and not at all childish.
#25 Posted by mikeyMKII (754 posts) -

Considering us original Pokemon Masters were playing Gameboys, no you're not too old :P

#26 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -

Im 22 and still play pokemon... Get over it.

#27 Posted by spike6958 (5079 posts) -
23, been playing Pokemon since I was 10 and have no plans to ever stop. Seriously, just because the Anime is childish garbage (The first few seasons where great though, and apparently the Japanese version is still good, it's just the butchered Dub that's awful), doesn't mean the games are.
#28 Posted by divinelegend (92 posts) -

i turn 30 this year (man i had to count.... last time i checked was HighSchool XD) and i still play pokemon. I own all of them and still play all of them. I even own enough of the systems that i can play each on all at the same time w/o swapping carts. Even tho i have reseted most of the older ones I still have my lvl 100 Charazard from red version on Gameboy.... hes still sitting on my copy of diamond. Havent messed w/ trades between D/P/Pt and B/W yet. Too lazy :P

#29 Posted by sharpspike39 (240 posts) -

If you ask me pok'e mon and nintendo in general are for casuals. Not kids, not adults, casual gamers and I still love pokemon and other nintendo games and prolly always will.

So if you like it why not right?

#30 Posted by sharpspike39 (240 posts) -

If you ask me pok'e mon and nintendo in general are for casuals. Not kids, not adults, casual gamers and I still love pokemon and other nintendo games and prolly always will.

#31 Posted by sharpspike39 (240 posts) -

#32 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

sharpspike39

Wii Sports is for casuals. Pokemon's not for casuals, Pokemon's for everyone. Xat-chew.gif

#33 Posted by HowlingLotus (515 posts) -

I personally haven't delved deep into the metagame of Pokemon, but you would be ignorant to say the game is only for casuals. The game has evolved (no pun intended) since the early years to have a very serious competitive following which includes tournaments, online matches, breeding, trading, and IV/EV training. This is certainly not for casuals and makes up a pretty fair percent of those who buy Pokemon. Pokemon certainly is an easy option for people to buy children given it's appeal, but there are many older gamers who enjoy Pokemon for the values stated above.

To the original question: You're only too old for something if you let others opinions determine your decision. Society is getting to the point where many things are becoming more sociably acceptable such as gaming and tattoos. Just remember that anyone who makes fun of you for something you do has insecurities of their own so don't take it too personally.

#35 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5991 posts) -
No there is always ways to spice up "childish" games. Just got 120 stars on mario galaxy. EV train and battle online. You can also nuzlocke every Pokemon game.
#36 Posted by OldGamers (26 posts) -
I am old and love pokemon games.
#37 Posted by OldGamers (26 posts) -
I am old and love pokemon games.
#38 Posted by OldGamers (26 posts) -
I am old and love pokemon games. Don't know why it came up a few times?
#39 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

Don't know why it came up a few times?OldGamers

Welcome to glitchspot. All the same, feel free to delete the doubles.

#40 Posted by platinumltd (4 posts) -
Im 23, i played red on the old original beast of a gameboy in grey, the only colour it came in lols, still playing now, yes sometimes i feel childish playing but i think thats more nostalgia than anything. and yeah my copy of black 2 is pre ordered so it clearly doesnt bother me to much
#41 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10935 posts) -
I'm 21 and I still enjoyed White.
#42 Posted by NirdBerd (2116 posts) -

I'm 18 and I don't give a damn if I'm too old to play a certain game.

#43 Posted by VGM_Enthusiast (1 posts) -
There's no such thing.
#44 Posted by thetravman (3543 posts) -

You can never be too old to play a complex game such as Pokemon. I've been playing since Red's release and the last game I've beaten was Platinum which I finished when I was 20 I think.

But my interest is staggering. The formula is losing its flavour and there are too many pokemon to keep track of (they're getting uglier). I couldn't push myself to finish SoulSilver and Black. I've finished Platinum twice and Diamond once but that generation is not memorable to me. I can't remember anything. That's my opinion anyway. The series needs to evolve.

#45 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1427 posts) -

My god you cant be to old for a video game. You dont turn 18 and say well I can only play Rated M shooters now. Sorry Pokemon/Mario/whatever its been fun but im to old. If you do that dont lie you were never a gamer in the first place. Guys in their 40's in Japan play pokemon, read mangas instead of the newspapers on trains and such. On XBL a 12 year old kid said he was to old to play Mario. I was like are you f-ing serious? Nintendo does a good job at keeping you a kid at heart. Im 21 I will be 22 in October. Im excited for Pokemon Black 2. So no you cant be to old for Pokemon.

#46 Posted by Bangerman15 (1978 posts) -
be proud of what you play man! let the haters hate but if youre having fun thats all that matters!
#47 Posted by SoAmazingBaby (2816 posts) -
EV's, IV's and metagames arent for kids.
#48 Posted by Heirren (18921 posts) -

Iv been playing pokemon soulsilver and lately i kind of feel childish being 18 years old playing a pokemon game. Is it just me or am i to old for the game? Do you think you could ever be to old to play a Pokemon game or any game that is marketed to children for that matter? Just interested in your opinions.

nick36001
Pokemon is for young kids in pre middle school. It's meant to appeal to the trading - card age.
#50 Posted by DealRogers (4583 posts) -

People worrying about being too old for something usually are the most immature.