Thinking about getting back into Poke'mon

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2121 posts) -

I was all about Pokemon 1st genetation and played a little in 2nd generation. Is Heart Gold and Soul Silver a good place to start?

#2 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4949 posts) -

HeartGold and SoulSilver are fantastic remakes and I highly recommend them. If you love it, play Black and White afterwards. :D

#3 Posted by Jaysonguy (39336 posts) -

I was all about Pokemon 1st genetation and played a little in 2nd generation. Is Heart Gold and Soul Silver a good place to start?

Mighty-Lu-Bu

Very bad place to start, the weakest games of Pokemon games after the GBA

Get Platinum and go from there

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
#4 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

That,OR B2/W2.

OR,wait 'till they make something that shocks the world.

Like a full 3D game with a huge world.

#5 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -
If I were you, I would just wait for Gen6 on the 3DS.
#6 Posted by metroidfood (11175 posts) -

Yeah, HeartGold and SoulSilver got me back into Pokemon. They're pretty much the best Pokemon games of all time, taking what was probably the best gen and adding even more content and depth to the game.

#7 Posted by Sora278 (1496 posts) -

You can't go wrong with Platinum either, I think that was the best third game of a generation.

#8 Posted by Jaysonguy (39336 posts) -

Yeah, HeartGold and SoulSilver got me back into Pokemon. They're pretty much the best Pokemon games of all time, taking what was probably the best gen and adding even more content and depth to the game.

metroidfood

I don't know how you can say that if you've played the other Pokemon games this gen.

Silver and Gold were so clunky and slow that even the worst versions of Diamond, Platinum, Black, White, etc are far above those in quality.

#9 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4949 posts) -

I don't know how you can say that if you've played the other Pokemon games this gen.

Jaysonguy

Because his opinion differs from yours.

#10 Posted by metroidfood (11175 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

ANIMEguy10034

Because his opinion differs from yours.

I've found it's just better to ignore him.

#11 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

Jaysonguy

Silver and Gold were so clunky and slow that even the worst versions of Diamond, Platinum, Black, White, etc are far above those in quality.

platnium/diamond/pearl are terrible. There is a reason gen IV is usually at the end of everyones list.

B/W is where you should start TC.

#12 Posted by IAmNot_fun (3336 posts) -
Black and White is the best place to start. DP is for the fans, HGSS is great but feeds off from the nostalgia a tad too much (which you wouldnt have seeing how you have not played GSC much) Black and White are great reboot of the series.
#13 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2121 posts) -

Only reason I am hesitate into jumping in to B/W is because I haven't played Poke'mon since generation II. I think that Generation I and II are still probably the best, and it something that I am familar with, Thats why I want to do baby steps and maybe start with SS, HG and then go to Platinum and then maybe go to the B/W games.

#14 Posted by Jaysonguy (39336 posts) -

Only reason I am hesitate into jumping in to B/W is because I haven't played Poke'mon since generation II. I think that Generation I and II are still probably the best, and it something that I am familar with, Thats why I want to do baby steps and maybe start with SS, HG and then go to Platinum and then maybe go to the B/W games.

Mighty-Lu-Bu

If you're going to play them all then yes, start with the worst ones.

If you're not avoid Gold and Silver, they're slow and dated.

The only reason Gold and Silver was made was to bring over those Pokemon, it's a throw away game that only impressed people not that familiar with games as a whole.

#15 Posted by towny_ (125 posts) -
I think that you should start with HG/SS and if you enjoy them go to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum before playing Black or White. This way you're not just thrown in the deep end with all the new features.
#16 Posted by Kocelot (816 posts) -

HeartGold and SoulSilver are probbaly the best Pokemon games ever made at the moment. Grab either one. Either that or BW2.

#17 Posted by Mighty-Lu-Bu (2121 posts) -

I'm getting mixed signals haha

#18 Posted by metroidfood (11175 posts) -

I'm getting mixed signals haha

Mighty-Lu-Bu

If you want an epic campaign and a good dose of polished nostalgia get HG/SS.

If you want a fresh start with an intriguing story get B/W.

If you want the latest and most feature packed get B2/W2.