The Wii U Is In Danger, Will We See a Price Cut?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Madmangamer364 (3670 posts) -

Has Nintendo really been claiming that the WiiU is supposed to attract mainstream and core gamers equally, though? I've heard a lot more talk from Nintendo within the last year about reclaiming core gamers, but not so much about the expanded market that they loved so much with the Wii.JordanElek

It's called the Wii U. That alone explains that the system was built on the intent of at least trying to have some appeal to the mass market. Otherwise, Nintendo would have dumped the Wii branding altogether, especially since it's not hard to see that so many "hardcore" gamers can't stand what Wii stands for. Let's not forget New Super Mario Bros. U, Wii Fit U, Nintendo Land, and I'm sure more upcoming games that Nintendo will be devoting time, money, and resources into trying to encourage the masses to make the jump to the system. The execution so far has been questionable at best, but I don't see how we can even question the idea of the market still having some importance with Nintendo's plans.

What I've gathered from Nintendo lately is that they learned from the Wii that the expanded market is fickle and far from dedicated, while core gamers are intensely dedicated. Sure, they sold a ton of Wiis, and three or four of their games shattered sales records for them, but that's obviously not a sustainable path, and the WiiU seems to me like Nintendo's acknowledgement of that fact.JordanElek

Honestly, I never really understood the argument that the expanded market is somehow more fickle than the "core gamer" market. Before Nintendo's Blue Ocean approach with the DS and Wii, Nintendo's grasp on the market declined with each passing console, despite their consoles becoming more powerful and complex. I think it's safe to say that without the expanded market Nintendo obtained a few years ago, we'd be having a different conversation right now. Sony has experienced the a similar downturn with the PS3 this gen, despite having the most powerful system on the market. And with upcoming gen, I would say that it's been up for grabs all this time, assuming that next gen works out for ANY of the hardware makers. All of this is tied to the "core gamer" and the expectations that come with trying to win that market. If that isn't the definition of fickle, I don't know what is. If anything, the expanded mainstream market is the only market that has proven itself to NOT be fickle, since it hasn't really catered to for longer than a handful of years.

Still, maybe you're right in saying that this is what Nintendo believed. That said, we KNOW that the 18-35 dedicated gamer demographic, a.k.a. the "core gamer" market, hasn't been too kind to Nintendo since the NES, when the company was pretty much the only player in town. So far, it doesn't look like things certainly aren't going to get better in that regard, either. Another thing is the term "core gamer," which as used in today's video game industry has never been Nintendo's "core" market. The very things that make that specific part of the market have never been the reason why Nintendo's systems and its most successful games have succeeded. So if what you say about Nintendo's assessment with its new console is true, they seem to have missed some important things along the way.

The WiiU is also a continued acknowledgement of the "dead end" approach to console development that Nintendo talked about with the Wii. "Faster and flashier" is a dead end due to exorbitant costs for developers. And I'm starting to think that Nintendo may have simply been one generation too soon with that philosophy. This gen was difficult but manageable for developers, but next gen seems like it will be practically impossible for anyone but money-soaked publishers to make any kind of large-scale games.JordanElek

When it comes to avoid the "faster and flashier" mindset, I think Reggie would like to have a talk with you. :P That's actually a joke in part on my behalf, but I think it does say something about the puzzling state Nintendo's in these days. We could speculate all day along about what the Wii U lacks or who the Wii U is trying to attract the most, but there's still much about the Wii U's strategy that doesn't add up. Again, they basically killed the Wii on purpose to get to this point. Reggie says that Sony and Mircosoft has to react to them, yet Nintendo [over]reacts first. Suddenly, Nintendo has jumped head-first into an environment it has wisely avoided for years, and even having years to witness the struggles of other developers, they still came into the HD game development situation unprepared.

I don't know... I think at this point I'm rambling a bit, but what is obvious to me that Nintendo's direction has changed over the past few years and appears to be taking the company down a darker path.

#52 Posted by NeoStar9 (1745 posts) -

The Wii U needs quality first party games and advertising (there is none at the moment). Once that starts things will turn around for it. I'm hoping E3 will pretty much be a "relaunch" of the system followed up with 1st party games or games Nintendo has partnered up with other companies are being available. I do think people need to accept that is where majoirty of the support will come from too. Nintendo. Japanese third parties that partner with Nintendo. Indie games on the eShop. I personally am okay with that. Then again I'm a person going forward that will be rocking the following combination. Wii U/3DS/PC.

#53 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4396 posts) -

The Wii U needs quality first party games and advertising (there is none at the moment). Once that starts things will turn around for it. I'm hoping E3 will pretty much be a "relaunch" of the system followed up with 1st party games or games Nintendo has partnered up with other companies are being available. NeoStar9
I agree. We saw that 1 bad launch commercial but now there is almost no advertising for the system. I don't know if it's just lack of planning or they feel they don't have enough to advertise, but it certainly is puzzling. I see more adds for the Vita than for the Wii U....

#54 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]

I'd desperately hoped they'd learned their lesson with the 3DS, or at least learned something from that failed launch. I don't think the price is a major problem, but a cut could only help. It needs games. Why did they launch a system without any games again? Nintendo really boggles my mind sometimes.

Haziqonfire

The first year of the Wii U seems on par with what most consoles go through during their first year.

Yeah, the success of the Wii was a rare exception. I think the console will be fine when more 1st party games are out.

And we kinda need to accept that the Nintendo consoles will always have less 3rd party support than its rivals. This time around, I think that the gap will be much smaller though. The Wii U will still miss some multiplats, but it will be MUCH less than in the past.

Less 3rd party support is a small price to pay for the exclusives and the innovation that Nintendo brings to its products.

As almost always, Jayson is just exaggerating and making a huge deal about what can be compared for a normal rough start of new born consoles. I feel like feeding the troll just posting here, lol. :P

#55 Posted by Blaz3_fox (193 posts) -

1. It's just after a holiday season, people aren't exactly clamoring to spend money

2. On top of 1, the economy really hasn't been that great, I imagine that buying a brand new console to play games on isn't exactly top of everyone's list

3. We haven't had the second wave of games come yet. People who haven't adopted early don't exactly have more reason to pick one up yet

4. If Nintendo directs are anything to go by, Wii U has a metric s#!tton of awesome titles coming to it.

Once the consumer confusion blows over, and Wii is out of production and we're at another time where people spend money, then we'll likely see another jump in sales.
This always confuses me because just a few weeks ago, everyone was praising Wii U for doing so well, despite the name issue, the lack of titles compelling enough to justify buying early and in comparison to the runaway success of Wii, yet here we are (conveniently after Nintendo has announced a whole bunch of ridiculously awesome titles which will ensure a good few unit sales) and we're all complaining it's not selling well.
Wii U isn't going anywhere, if anything, the competition has to watch out, if Wii U isn't selling well, how do they expect to sell well with a higher price and no games?

#56 Posted by Jaysonguy (38158 posts) -

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="meetroid8"]

I'd desperately hoped they'd learned their lesson with the 3DS, or at least learned something from that failed launch. I don't think the price is a major problem, but a cut could only help. It needs games. Why did they launch a system without any games again? Nintendo really boggles my mind sometimes.

Rod90

The first year of the Wii U seems on par with what most consoles go through during their first year.

Yeah, the success of the Wii was a rare exception.

No, no major company has had a console of theirs fail like this from the gate.

What the Wii U is doing, or failing to do at this point, is unprecedented.

#57 Posted by Jaysonguy (38158 posts) -

1. It's just after a holiday season, people aren't exactly clamoring to spend money

2. On top of 1, the economy really hasn't been that great, I imagine that buying a brand new console to play games on isn't exactly top of everyone's list

3. We haven't had the second wave of games come yet. People who haven't adopted early don't exactly have more reason to pick one up yet

4. If Nintendo directs are anything to go by, Wii U has a metric s#!tton of awesome titles coming to it.

Once the consumer confusion blows over, and Wii is out of production and we're at another time where people spend money, then we'll likely see another jump in sales.
This always confuses me because just a few weeks ago, everyone was praising Wii U for doing so well, despite the name issue, the lack of titles compelling enough to justify buying early and in comparison to the runaway success of Wii, yet here we are (conveniently after Nintendo has announced a whole bunch of ridiculously awesome titles which will ensure a good few unit sales) and we're all complaining it's not selling well.
Wii U isn't going anywhere, if anything, the competition has to watch out, if Wii U isn't selling well, how do they expect to sell well with a higher price and no games?

Blaz3_fox

No, most of what you said never happened

1. There's always money being spent this time of the month because of the wealth of gift cards from the holidays and tax returns right around the corner, so that point is false.

2. The economy is better today then it was when the Wii launched, the economy is in much better shape when "others" launched too and none have had the problem with Wii U does currently.

3. Lack of games is disturbing but it's everyone, no one of any weight is making games for the Wii U.

4. Nintendo is talking about games that are going to be here by 2016 in their Nintendo Direct, that's not going to help anything.

No one has been praising the Wii U for doing so well, it's done poorly out of the gate and has been getting worse as time goes on.

#58 Posted by SoAmazingBaby (2828 posts) -

[QUOTE="thetravman"]

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]

thetravman

3DS was a fine example of a failed launch. No games at launch and nothing on the horizon at the time. To make matters worse, it lacked almost all of its features until its update 3-4 months later. However, I'd argue that the WiiU had a decent launch. It sold well in its first month, almost at the Wii's pace. There were the few exclusives and alot of multiplats but they were good ones that weren't expected to show up on a Nintendo console (Mass Effect, Darksiders, AC, Batman and Ninja Gaiden).

Then it got nothing in December,January, and now February. That is the problem now, and Nintendo has to react. Monster Hunter will pick up some slack (in Japan at least), and hopefully LegoCity will help, but it needs more than that. A price cut is risky, considering how Nintendo lost billions of dollars last year because of the 3DS's lackluster performance and price cut.

Oh wait, Monster Hunter is already out in Japan. My bad.

oh snap ;D
#59 Posted by Empty_World (272 posts) -
I think it's a little too early to worry about the Wii U though it would be great to see a price cut then I won't have to save as much money to pick one up.
#60 Posted by meetroid8 (21147 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rod90"]

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"] The first year of the Wii U seems on par with what most consoles go through during their first year.Jaysonguy

In recent memory, the PS3 and 3DS both had some pretty pathetic launches, and I'm sure they weren't the first. Poor launches are hardly unheard of. It doesn't spell immediate doom for the console, but Nintendo does desperately need to do something to change the current situation.
#61 Posted by Megavideogamer (5688 posts) -

Nintendo seemed to have had a difficult time in marketing this console. It is hard to understand unless you play it. The assymeterical gameplay. Doesn't translate into words very well. Plus keep the Wii in the name has just lead casuals to think of this as a add-on the the original Wii.

Nintendo has been crippled by marketing. Plus Nintendo should have at least made the Wii U twice as "powerful" as the Xbox 360. If only to future proof the Console when the others launch there next gen machines. Plus it would have encourage more third party development. At least 7 games have been passed over for the Wii U so far.

It will become more of an issue as the Wii U enters 2014,2015 etc.

But Nintendo is standing firm so no Wii U price cut. The console should sell between 21-32 million But there will be no price cut. The others will face the same tough economy that Nintendo has. The Wii U has Sold 3 million since November 18th 2012. Today is just Feb 17th 2013 that is 3 months on sale. Given the bad world economy that is O.K just barely. YEP January sales were jusy 57,000 in the U.S.A but everyone is barely getting by these days.

#62 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4959 posts) -

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]The way I see it Nintendo is a lot like the San Antonio Spurs. Not always the flashiest team, not always the most exciting but they execute well and have great fundamentals. Almost always getting to the second round or conference finals with the occassional championship.

I don't think they need to make the Game Pad optional, rather they need to cut the costs on the **** thing ASAP to cut costs on the console to get the price down to $250. The Game Pad shouldn't cost anywhere near $100 to make like it seems like it does. Ship systems with a Game Pad mini with a smaller screen, cheaper parts whatever to cut those costs.

We should also remember that other new consoles from Sony/MS will be met with a similar reaction later this year. Sell great at first and have rough early 2014. I mean they could be $399 or $499. Madmangamer364

Honestly, Nintendo looks more like the Lakers at this point if I was to go that route. A company with a storied history, watched by everyone, regardless of if they're fans, haters, or in-between, and typically solid (Nintendo has dominated the portable market like the Lakers have won titles at times.) However, both have recently decided to make unnecessary decisions, and the next thing you know, it's like "what the heck is going on?" And for the record, I didn't approve of L.A.'s moves this past off-season, much like I have not approved of Nintendo's in the past couple of years. :P Still, I say Nintendo's in 'rebuilding mode' because it seems as though the company needs to reestablish a successful model, much like teams have to rediscover how to win games.

Sports comparisons aside (I could go on with that all day, but I must control myself), I think I need to make it clear that if Nintendo can make the Gamepad a truly engaging feature, I'm all for it. I just can't say that I think the chances of that happening are very good. Regardless of price, if the Gamepad fails to impress as a primary part of the Wii U, the system is going to continue to suffer. Along with the lowering the cost of the system, that's the reason why I've brought this up option, even though I doubt Nintendo would actually do such a thing. I'm also not sure how cost-effective it would be for Nintendo to mass-produce another version of the Gamepad at this point, even if the desire is to lower console costs. It still wouldn't make the Gamepad itself more accessible or mass-consumer friendly, either. If Nintendo's going to trust in the thing, it's probably best that they just continue to look for ways to make the current model attractive.

As for how well the other consoles will do, in my opinion, that's neither here nor there as far as the Wii U is concerned. Nintendo's already missed the point where they can establish the Wii U well enough to distract consumers from considering those systems, so Nintendo's best option is to push forward with its plans, regardless of how well or poorly the upcoming consoles sell. If you're going to have such a massive shadow hanging over your head, might as well just focus on what you can do best to make your way.

I see your point about the Wii U being similar to the Lakers and that brings me to mine: Never count out someone like Nintendo. They turned around the 3DS, they turned around the company after halting production of the GameCube for six months back in 2003. They'll find a way to make another run, just like the Lakers do all the time (and Spurs) Will their be odd rebuilding years where they lose in the first round of the playoffs? Yes. I'd say years like 2008 where Animal Crossing and Wario Land were the only "holiday" games are an example of this sort of misstep. But of course after that came Mario Galaxy 2, Skyward Sword, Punch Out, NSMB Wii, DKC Returns and more. You could say another example of Nintendo messing up in this way is the lack of Wii software and development post-2010. Sure, there was Skyward Sword and a few niche titles like Xenoblade but I do think they are going to come back strong with Wii U with titles like Yarn Yoshi, Mario Kart U, 3D Mario, Retro's Project, X, Pikmin 3 and more. Like I said, never count out Nintendo. I'm sure they'll find a way. I do think the Wii U will benefit from having Sony/MS mess up their launches/prices, especially since Microsoft will likely pull the plug on the 360 once the 720 is out the door.
#63 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4959 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rod90"]

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"] The first year of the Wii U seems on par with what most consoles go through during their first year.Jaysonguy

Its not that big of a deal. The Cube sold 61k in January 2002, not far off from Wii U. Wii U has sold like 3.1 million units worldwide, which is already greater than the Saturn,Dreamcast did (in the same time frame) Even Sony only sold 1 million PS1 systems in its first six months. It isn't an ideal beginning and serious steps need to be taken to prevent it from getting worse, but its far from "unprecedented". Has Nintendo had to stop production on the Wii U already like they did for the Cube in 2003? No.
#64 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4959 posts) -
Does anyone think dropping the "Wii" from the title and branding is a good idea? At first I didn't, and you can call me crazy but calling it the Nintendo U might be better. Sure, it sounds stupid. But the big blue U could be focused on in all marketing and it really seems like the Wii part is what is confusing consumers. I do find it silly that consumers are so stupid that they need a number slapped onto a console to know its superior. No one was confused when the 360 had better graphics than the Xbox, better online features, etc, and these same people don't seem to have an issue buying a slightly better Android/iOS phone annually so I find it comical that they can't tell the difference between Wii graphics and Wii U graphics, difference between online services ect. Nintendo needs better marketing for sure, but it honestly sounds like they're dealing with complete idiots and I just can't see how they can change this public reaction unless they say "it isn't a Wii! Its a next-gen system dudes!" in every single ad.
#65 Posted by Jaysonguy (38158 posts) -

Nintendo seemed to have had a difficult time in marketing this console. It is hard to understand unless you play it. The assymeterical gameplay. Doesn't translate into words very well. Plus keep the Wii in the name has just lead casuals to think of this as a add-on the the original Wii.

Nintendo has been crippled by marketing. Plus Nintendo should have at least made the Wii U twice as "powerful" as the Xbox 360. If only to future proof the Console when the others launch there next gen machines. Plus it would have encourage more third party development. At least 7 games have been passed over for the Wii U so far.

But Nintendo is standing firm so no Wii U price cut. The console should sell between 21-32 million But there will be no price cut. The others will face the same tough economy that Nintendo has. The Wii U has Sold 3 million since November 18th 2012. Today is just Feb 17th 2013 that is 3 months on sale. Given the bad world economy that is O.K just barely. YEP January sales were jusy 57,000 in the U.S.A but everyone is barely getting by these days.

Megavideogamer

What the Hell with just getting by?

You can get more for your dollar now then in 2006.

The launch price of the Wii would be 285.00 dollars today.

Enough of the "oh well the economy isn't that great" if someone doesn't have much money they should take up reading since the library is free.

#66 Posted by trigger_cross93 (29 posts) -

I'm not sure what people were expecting from Wii U... After years of being ignored by third parties, all of sudden things would change?  The Wii U will be in the same boat as every other Nintendo Console since the n64...  It will offer a HUGE selection of First Party games that will be of the highest quality.  It will probably have one or two games that can be considered greatest ever, and western third parties will ignore it.

Nintendo will make a profit and will still be here for years to come...

#67 Posted by TheLordMagnus (3783 posts) -
I expect higher quality from Nintendo hardware - meaning I expect it to function. The Wii U seems like an amateurish rushed to the market product. The operating system is embarrassing. The lack of games strategy is embarrassing. And while the GamePad itself is interesting, the execution thus far seems sub-par. Low battery life. Only one GamePad per console. Strangely low volume (sometimes doesn't even play sound in some games unless you turn the option on..and these are critical things to hear). The online system is a slight improvement but still archaic compared to competition. Nintendo promised a more modern online experience with this console. Where is it?
#68 Posted by Madmangamer364 (3670 posts) -

They'll find a way to make another run, just like the Lakers do all the time (and Spurs) Will their be odd rebuilding years where they lose in the first round of the playoffs? Yes. I'd say years like 2008 where Animal Crossing and Wario Land were the only "holiday" games are an example of this sort of misstep. But of course after that came Mario Galaxy 2, Skyward Sword, Punch Out, NSMB Wii, DKC Returns and more.bonesawisready5

I hear you. What I'm saying is that this just some happens to be one of those "odd rebuilding years" for Nintendo in a proverbial sense. Much like I'm not confident in saying the Lakers will even make the playoffs this year, I'm not confident in saying the Wii U is ever going to be that relevant to the majority of the market. Sure, there will be games to come along and make noise for a while, but that's as far as I'm willing to believe in. I see this as a far worse situation than 2008, where the Wii was already super-popular and still had the likes of Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit to drive sales well into 2009.

You could say another example of Nintendo messing up in this way is the lack of Wii software and development post-2010. Sure, there was Skyward Sword and a few niche titles like Xenoblade but I do think they are going to come back strong with Wii U with titles like Yarn Yoshi, Mario Kart U, 3D Mario, Retro's Project, X, Pikmin 3 and morebonesawisready5

Not only do I agree with that first part, I'll take it a step further. That example you speak of actually began after NSMB Wii was released in '09. Sure, SMG2, DKCR, and SS were made, but none of those titles were ever the games that was going to keep a lot of the Wii's userbase interested in Nintendo's offerings for a long period of time. From that point on, Nintendo decided to play it safe, whereas it should have been releasing a steady amount of compelling titles to keep the Wii brand going strong.

As for what the Wii U is offering down the line, it goes back to what I said earlier. Some of those games will get a fair amount of buzz, but I'd argue that only Mario Kart and maybe the new 3D Mario has a chance to be significant system sellers. And when I say "a chance," I actually mean that it's not a surefire thing those games will come along and move a lot of systems. Afterall, it's not like Super Mario Sunshine and Mario Kart: Double Dash turned the GameCube's fortunes around, and the argument can be made that the success of the DS and Wii helped those games' sales as much as those games drove the systems' success.

Like I said, never count out Nintendo. I'm sure they'll find a way. I do think the Wii U will benefit from having Sony/MS mess up their launches/prices, especially since Microsoft will likely pull the plug on the 360 once the 720 is out the door.bonesawisready5

Hey, I'm one of the few people that the Wii had a chance before it was unveiled to the world, given what the DS had already established. Plus, I'm not saying the Wii U will turn out to a total disaster, either. It'll have a place so much as long as Nintendo's key IPs have some selling power. This is my giving benefit of the doubt to Nintendo because of its history.

However, I've said and believed from the start that the system was a huge step backwards for Nintendo, and I see no reason to back down from such a sentiment, regardless of what it is that Sony/MS do. At worst, that just means that ALL 3 of those systems will be having struggles. I'm not about to bet on Nintendo rebounding because of others' mistakes. Instead, I believe that if this situation is to be fixed, Nintendo's going to have to do something very different or even unexpected to fix the situation.

#69 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
Too much doom & gloom in this thread. I don't think anyone is disagreeing it's a bad spot for Nintendo, but given Nintendo's history, they'll do something to get out of it. At worst, we'll still get great Wii U titles from Nintendo throughout it's life cycle. In terms of consoles that have turned it around from a poor start - 3DS and PS3 both pop into mind. The first 3 months of this console generation won't determine much of anything. It's what happens throughout that will - that was the case last generation.
#70 Posted by Canon-Gatorade (153 posts) -

Megavideogamer
The "Ipad" seems to be selling well despite not having a number, Casuals aren't that stupid. They did however, put poor support in advertising, and they should have had a game at launch that showed off at least 50% of the Wii U's improved power from the PS3, and the 360, especially the latter as that thing is closing in on a decade old.
#71 Posted by soundcellx (976 posts) -

It's going to be funny when Nintendo remains the most successful VG company this gen, and then TC troll will cry a lot.

Nintendo will lap up TC's tears.

#72 Posted by svaubel (2673 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rod90"]

No, it's not.

PSP Go failed right out of the gate. It was more expensive, and couldnt use any existing PSP media, so existing users had to purchase all their games over again, most of which arent even available on the PSN. Never once did Sony announce sales figures for the Go, and knowing Sony, when their product isnt doing well they are strangely quiet about it. Im guessing the Go didnt even break 2M units worldwide.

Vita is consistently the bottom-selling system worldwide each week, and unlike Nintendo with a lot of videos and such of what is coming, Sony seems to be doing next to nothing to try to pick up it's slack. Not to mention most of its games are portable ports of existing console games, and I dont see the point of having to fork over that much money just to play what i already can play on the PS3 but on a handheld.

Playstation 3 took over a year to finally sell well because of how bloody expensive it was and lack of software for that first year.

The 3DS flopped about like a fish out of water until a 33% price cut. Now with games coming out all over the place for it, it is doing very well. 

Stop being a hater. The system is only going on four months old. If the Wii U was a year old, then your point would be valid.

#73 Posted by JordanElek (18180 posts) -

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

Has Nintendo really been claiming that the WiiU is supposed to attract mainstream and core gamers equally, though? I've heard a lot more talk from Nintendo within the last year about reclaiming core gamers, but not so much about the expanded market that they loved so much with the Wii.Madmangamer364

It's called the Wii U. That alone explains that the system was built on the intent of at least trying to have some appeal to the mass market. Otherwise, Nintendo would have dumped the Wii branding altogether, especially since it's not hard to see that so many "hardcore" gamers can't stand what Wii stands for. Let's not forget New Super Mario Bros. U, Wii Fit U, Nintendo Land, and I'm sure more upcoming games that Nintendo will be devoting time, money, and resources into trying to encourage the masses to make the jump to the system. The execution so far has been questionable at best, but I don't see how we can even question the idea of the market still having some importance with Nintendo's plans.

Good points throughout, but I'll just focus on this because I think it's the most interesting. Apart from Wii Fit U, each of the games you listed was clearly built with more dedicated gamers in mind.

NSMBU is the most difficult in that series, and the challenge mode was designed specifically for long-time Mario players. The inclusion of better hidden exits, more difficult star coin locations, and frequent callbacks to older Mario games also shows how the whole game was made with fans in mind.

NintendoLand seems like a series of simple minigames at first glance, but when you really delve into those games, they turn into incredibly challenging games that appeal to a gamer's sensibilities. Only three of the minigames in NintendoLand are friendly to non-gamers (Mario Chase, Luigi's Ghost Mansion, and Animal Crossing Sweet Day). All of the other ones, while still simple to understand and easy at first, are clearly designed to require far more effort and dedication than anything in the Wii Sports games, for example.

I think it's clear from Nintendo's own games that they're taking an old-school Nintendo approach with the WiiU, at least thus far. They want to attract new fans from the younger generations and bolster their relationship with life-long fans. They were accused of mostly ignoring their life-long fans last gen, which is an exaggeration at best, but Nintendo has acknowledged it publicly and doesn't want to alienate those people again with the WiiU.

But Nintendo's problem isn't with its own games; the problem is with third parties. That's always been their problem. But they've always managed to be at least moderately successful even in their worst endeavors, thanks to their own games being so brilliant.

#74 Posted by JordanElek (18180 posts) -

Jaysonguy

Well let's look at some scaaaaaary numbers here:

three-month-console-totals-v2.png

Assuming these numbers are accurate (they come from Gamasutra), the WiiU is doing better than both the 360 and PS3 in the same time period after their launches in the US. But we all know how terribly both of those consoles ended up performing in their lifetimes with those initial numbers and how Microsoft and Sony both lost so much money that they had to pull out of the gaming industry entirely.

Oh wait.

Also, this has clearly happened before and is totally precedented (if you can make things up, then I can make up words). The best selling console of all time only sold 15% more units at its launch than the WiiU has.

#75 Posted by Heirren (19348 posts) -
I think the industry is different now. People are more likely to buy two consoles. I don't think it's crazy to think most people that do so will buy a wiiu in addition to either ps4 or 720.
#76 Posted by superbuuman (3377 posts) -

Does anyone think dropping the "Wii" from the title and branding is a good idea? At first I didn't, and you can call me crazy but calling it the Nintendo U might be better. Sure, it sounds stupid. But the big blue U could be focused on in all marketing and it really seems like the Wii part is what is confusing consumers. I do find it silly that consumers are so stupid that they need a number slapped onto a console to know its superior. No one was confused when the 360 had better graphics than the Xbox, better online features, etc, and these same people don't seem to have an issue buying a slightly better Android/iOS phone annually so I find it comical that they can't tell the difference between Wii graphics and Wii U graphics, difference between online services ect. Nintendo needs better marketing for sure, but it honestly sounds like they're dealing with complete idiots and I just can't see how they can change this public reaction unless they say "it isn't a Wii! Its a next-gen system dudes!" in every single ad.bonesawisready5

Its their own fault, the only 2 games they have release & ONLY shown on TV adverts looks like Wii games, so what did you expect. I didn't buy NSMBU because imo its lazy, now they're just gonna add New Super Luigi U? ..another lazy move. Nintendo Land didn't make an impact as Wii Sport did imo...so they wasted time on that for nothing. I wouldn't have bought it...only have it cause it came with premium bundle. At your last point, they need to have a game to show off to say that "visuals that look significantly better than Wii" lets hope 3D Mario will do that. :P

#77 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

JordanElek

Assuming these numbers are accurate (they come from Gamasutra), the WiiU is doing better than both the 360 and PS3 in the same time period after their launches in the US. But we all know how terribly both of those consoles ended up performing in their lifetimes with those initial numbers and how Microsoft and Sony both lost so much money that they had to pull out of the gaming industry entirely.

Oh wait.

Also, this has clearly happened before and is totally precedented (if you can make things up, then I can make up words). The best selling console of all time only sold 15% more units at its launch than the WiiU has.

That's why we shouldn't take Jayson seriously.
#78 Posted by JustPlainLucas (75136 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

JordanElek

Oh wait.

One little thing I want to point out... Both the 360 and PS3 had MAJOR system shortages. Not placing any bets, but I'm sure that if MS and Sony didn't completely fvck up their supplies, their launch numbers would have been higher. The fact that Nintendo COULDN'T sell out from the gate proved the lack of interest. Remember trying to find a Wii last generation? Impossible for at least four months... Nintendo couldn't keep stores stocked even if they tried.

#79 Posted by sonic_spark (4845 posts) -

January numbers are out and the Wii U only sold 55k consoles in a 5 week month.

Nintendo has a huge problem on it's hands, this is no longer "games are on the way" this is "something needs to change fast".

Nintendo has never had a console fail this badly in it's history, most other companies have never had a console fail this badly.

I frown upon using the names of other devices on here but let's just say that there's something outselling the Wii U in multiplats and it rhymes with PITA

So what needs to be done?

We've already seen the new value bundle but that's not enough.

Nintendo needs to set up a program to reward the early adopters and then slash 100 dollars off the Wii U, it also needs to move it's first party games to the Wii price level for new software.

What else could they possibly do? Don't say "wait for games" by the time that happens most third parties will have jumped ship and the damage will be done. The Gamecube will seem like a rousing success compared to the Wii U if this doesn't change fast. We're talking a disaster of Virtual Boy proportions.

So anyone have any interesting ideas on how this can be made better?

Jaysonguy

No, no, no... This is nowhere near Virtual Boy proportions.  This is nothing that can't be solved from a couple flagship games.  We still know nothing at this time of the other major consoles. Which believe it or not, will effect the WiiU.

I don't think early adopters should be compensated.  You don't ask for a refund on an iPhone when the price gets slashed in half, or the next model comes out.

The games will come.  I think the games need to come NOW.  I don't think Pikmin is the answer.  There needs to be a huge casual cash grab like Mario Kart or Smash Bros.  The core need a Metroid or Zelda.  

#80 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4396 posts) -

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

JustPlainLucas

Oh wait.

One little thing I want to point out... Both the 360 and PS3 had MAJOR system shortages. Not placing any bets, but I'm sure that if MS and Sony didn't completely fvck up their supplies, their launch numbers would have been higher. The fact that Nintendo COULDN'T sell out from the gate proved the lack of interest. Remember trying to find a Wii last generation? Impossible for at least four months... Nintendo couldn't keep stores stocked even if they tried.

Very good point. The WiiU was hard to find for about 2-3 weeks, but after that it was hard to go to a store and not see them on shelves. I despise all the Wii U doom and gloom crap but we need to look at this realistically and can't expect things to magically get better for the system.
#81 Posted by JustPlainLucas (75136 posts) -
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] Very good point. The WiiU was hard to find for about 2-3 weeks, but after that it was hard to go to a store and not see them on shelves. I despise all the Wii U doom and gloom crap but we need to look at this realistically and can't expect things to magically get better for the system.

There were stores here in Denver that had them lying around on launch day.
#82 Posted by FFCYAN (4955 posts) -

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] Very good point. The WiiU was hard to find for about 2-3 weeks, but after that it was hard to go to a store and not see them on shelves. I despise all the Wii U doom and gloom crap but we need to look at this realistically and can't expect things to magically get better for the system. JustPlainLucas
There were stores here in Denver that had them lying around on launch day.

I had a fairly easy time finding mine at a local WalMart after having Gamestop tellling me they would be out of Wii U's for some time. It's true that you could probably pick up a Wii U wherever you at located right now.

I think the biggest issue with this debate is that despite hard numbers regarding launch sales history and the fact the doom and gloom reports says Nintendo is going the Dreamcast route, everyone is agreeing and stoking the failure flames of despair. It seems a lot of "gamers" just want Nintendo to fail and to have a Sony/Microsoft era of gaming where two fairly identical consoles of comparable hardware specs and software availability exists. Just give us good ol' dual analog controllers with a dozen buttons and cutting edge graphics that will be outclassed by PC rigs anyway. It's what is in demand. Unless Nintendo makes demand for a unique console setup or just go the Sony/Microsoft route, which is what they did with the Gamecube, we will just see more the same.

#83 Posted by MirkoS77 (8603 posts) -

I really don't know what Nintendo can do, they are in a very bad spot right now.  They are not only dealing with ramifications from decisions made long ago that continue to haunt them (3rd party support issues), but they also are continuing to make mistakes presently that are only going to get worse over time.  

• They insist on using extremely outdated technology, pouring money that could better be used where it's truly needed but choosing instead to use it on another gimmick that no one cares for, and then deciding to sell it at a high price.    
  • They are neglecting to recognize the importance of Western developmental studios, and are failing to embrace, support, and invest in them.  They refuse to localize Japanese games that many would like to see.  Yes, I know there have been some but they have more that they could be bringing over.  
  • Their online infrastructure and features continue to lag behind the competitions.
  • It's blatantly obvious that the Wii U was rushed out the door.  A clunky, slow OS and loading times, hardware failures (a first for them really), massive day-one patches, difficult to set-up Wi-Fi, cheaply made tablets, bad battery life, and many services not available at launch.
  • Terrible business decisions like having gamers' accounts linked to the hardware which has led to customers getting screwed over when their system breaks.
  • Lack of foresight as to industry trends, such as the internet and online gaming.
  • A defeatist attitude.  I believe Iwata came out not too far back and said that they wouldn't pursue having an online system like MS and Sony because they're "too far behind".  So now it's, "we're late to the party, so we're not going to even try."  Lovely.
  • Bad name choice combined with poor marketing that does not distinguish itself from its predecessor and has confused the consumer.
  • There are no major releases until some while from now and their franchises are dangerously close to becoming very stale, and I don't see any new major IPs like Mario, Zelda, or Pikmin in the works.  The Wii has been dead and unsupported for quite some time now, what the hell have they been doing since then?
  • They are now crawling back to the core audience (many of which have felt neglected and betrayed by the Wii's more causual direction) to support them because that casual market has moved on to tablets and phones.  Many have lost faith in Nintendo and want them to struggle.
  • They are playing it safe with the franchises they know.  It's boring.  Yay, another Mario.  Yay, another Zelda.  Yah, another Mario Kart. *yawn*

This is not even mentioning that MS and Sony are breathing down their necks with hardware that will undoubtedly blow Nintendo's out of the water.  

At this point I believe only one thing can help them: they need a major shift in their business philosophy.  A price cut will not change that, it will only help to temporarily stop the hemorrhaging that is occurring due to Nintendo's stubbornness and inability to wake-up to 2013.  They are stubborn, stuck in the past, arrogant and complacent and all of the above are indicative of this.  They need to regroup and reevaluate their entire strategy and approach.  But frankly, because of their past success and reputation, I think they're far too proud to do this.  Even if they did, some of the mistakes that they've just made they have to live with for years (hardware).

In short, I think Nintendo is a victim of its own success.  Until they get a huge piece of humble pie and decide to get their sh!t in order I believe we're going to see them continue to go down the road that they have.  I've come to see them as a company with incredible talent, but dragged down by incompetent management.  In a way I'm glad they are in trouble as there's no better company than the one who is in panic mode.  I hope Nintendo is or gets to be, because the way I see it they're in dire straits and need to do something FAST.

#84 Posted by JordanElek (18180 posts) -

One little thing I want to point out... Both the 360 and PS3 had MAJOR system shortages. Not placing any bets, but I'm sure that if MS and Sony didn't completely fvck up their supplies, their launch numbers would have been higher. The fact that Nintendo COULDN'T sell out from the gate proved the lack of interest. Remember trying to find a Wii last generation? Impossible for at least four months... Nintendo couldn't keep stores stocked even if they tried.JustPlainLucas
Nintendo did sell out at launch, though. There's always anecdotal evidence of systems being seen, but a sellout is when Nintendo can't resupply stores that have sold out, and that's what happened, especially with the premium version.

But the 360's shortage was way worse, and that console was clearly in higher demand than the WiiU. That's no surprise, considering that the 360 was the next level of technology at the time and everybody was salivating for it. The Wii was in a similar place, except that people were salivating over the potential of motion controls and how fun it looked to play. The WiiU doesn't have either of those things going for it, so the fact that it still sold out at launch and moved so many units is hardly a bad sign. But now that there isn't a shortage, Nintendo would like it to be selling more than it is, but really, without the games people want, it's not surprising that it isn't selling as much.

So you make a good point, but my point in posting those figures is to show Jason that the WiiU's sales figures at launch don't predict the fate of the console and are far from "unprecedented."

#85 Posted by Tonindo (497 posts) -

I'm kind of happy that the Wii U is not selling as well as the Wii did. This puts pressure on Nintendo, and most often it's us, the gamers that benefit from it.

#86 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

I'm kind of happy that the Wii U is not selling as well as the Wii did. This puts pressure on Nintendo, and most often it's us, the gamers that benefit from it.

Tonindo
Yup, Sony was the fatcat this gen that sat back lazily and watched sales plummet, and it forced them to churn out a lot of great games to stimulate sales. Nintendo did it with the 3DS, now they better do it with the Wii U :D
#87 Posted by JordanElek (18180 posts) -
[QUOTE="Tonindo"]

WreckEm711
Yup, Sony was the fatcat this gen that sat back lazily and watched sales plummet, and it forced them to churn out a lot of great games to stimulate sales. Nintendo did it with the 3DS, now they better do it with the Wii U :D

That's the beauty of these things. When sales are lower than expected, good companies will bend over backwards to do whatever they can to get people to buy their stuff. Sometimes the console is beyond help (like the VIrtual Boy), but the WiiU clearly isn't in that kind of position yet. We're going to get the best of Nintendo in a record amount of time.
#88 Posted by rubber-chicken (2066 posts) -
Welp they also made a system with graphics that will be again outdated in a year or so. The general public who knows it's not just a Wii attachment probably won't really care to get one when they already have a PS3 or 360.
#89 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4396 posts) -
Welp they also made a system with graphics that will be again outdated in a year or so. The general public who knows it's not just a Wii attachment probably won't really care to get one when they already have a PS3 or 360.rubber-chicken
The graphics are already outdated, but to be fair the next MS and Sony consoles will have outdated graphics from the start as well (although not to the same extent). Hardware is constantly getting better and consoles can't keep up and be on the "cutting edge" of tech without the costing a fortune or being reliable enough (heat, power, etc.) The WIi U's hardware isn't going to be what sells the console, we already know that. They need games, and they're usually good at providing them.
#90 Posted by Installing (678 posts) -

I really don't know what Nintendo can do, they are in a very bad spot right now.  They are not only dealing with ramifications from decisions made long ago that continue to haunt them (3rd party support issues), but they also are continuing to make mistakes presently that are only going to get worse over time.  

• They insist on using extremely outdated technology, pouring money that could better be used where it's truly needed but choosing instead to use it on another gimmick that no one cares for, and then deciding to sell it at a high price.    
  • They are neglecting to recognize the importance of Western developmental studios, and are failing to embrace, support, and invest in them.  They refuse to localize Japanese games that many would like to see.  Yes, I know there have been some but they have more that they could be bringing over.  
  • Their online infrastructure and features continue to lag behind the competitions.
  • It's blatantly obvious that the Wii U was rushed out the door.  A clunky, slow OS and loading times, hardware failures (a first for them really), massive day-one patches, difficult to set-up Wi-Fi, cheaply made tablets, bad battery life, and many services not available at launch.
  • Terrible business decisions like having gamers' accounts linked to the hardware which has led to customers getting screwed over when their system breaks.
  • Lack of foresight as to industry trends, such as the internet and online gaming.
  • A defeatist attitude.  I believe Iwata came out not too far back and said that they wouldn't pursue having an online system like MS and Sony because they're "too far behind".  So now it's, "we're late to the party, so we're not going to even try."  Lovely.
  • Bad name choice combined with poor marketing that does not distinguish itself from its predecessor and has confused the consumer.
  • There are no major releases until some while from now and their franchises are dangerously close to becoming very stale, and I don't see any new major IPs like Mario, Zelda, or Pikmin in the works.  The Wii has been dead and unsupported for quite some time now, what the hell have they been doing since then?
  • They are now crawling back to the core audience (many of which have felt neglected and betrayed by the Wii's more causual direction) to support them because that casual market has moved on to tablets and phones.  Many have lost faith in Nintendo and want them to struggle.
  • They are playing it safe with the franchises they know.  It's boring.  Yay, another Mario.  Yay, another Zelda.  Yah, another Mario Kart. *yawn*

This is not even mentioning that MS and Sony are breathing down their necks with hardware that will undoubtedly blow Nintendo's out of the water.  

At this point I believe only one thing can help them: they need a major shift in their business philosophy.  A price cut will not change that, it will only help to temporarily stop the hemorrhaging that is occurring due to Nintendo's stubbornness and inability to wake-up to 2013.  They are stubborn, stuck in the past, arrogant and complacent and all of the above are indicative of this.  They need to regroup and reevaluate their entire strategy and approach.  But frankly, because of their past success and reputation, I think they're far too proud to do this.  Even if they did, some of the mistakes that they've just made they have to live with for years (hardware).

In short, I think Nintendo is a victim of its own success.  Until they get a huge piece of humble pie and decide to get their sh!t in order I believe we're going to see them continue to go down the road that they have.  I've come to see them as a company with incredible talent, but dragged down by incompetent management.  In a way I'm glad they are in trouble as there's no better company than the one who is in panic mode.  I hope Nintendo is or gets to be, because the way I see it they're in dire straits and need to do something FAST.

MirkoS77
Well written. I agree.
#91 Posted by Vickman178 (866 posts) -

Its 3 and a half months old. Let's wait at least a year before we say something needs to be done. I'm willing to bet the next Sony and Microsoft consoles are going to go through something similar during their start.

#92 Posted by istuffedsunny (6985 posts) -
What is this panic mode nonsense people keep bringing up? Company practices don't change overnight. If it's referring to a price drop, yes, I think that's very likely. I'm just not sure if Nintendo deliberately overpriced the WiiU to take advantage of early adopters and drop it in time for PS4, or they honestly thought people were going to spend $300-400 on vastly outdated technology with a touchscreen slapped onto it.
#93 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
Welp they also made a system with graphics that will be again outdated in a year or so. The general public who knows it's not just a Wii attachment probably won't really care to get one when they already have a PS3 or 360.rubber-chicken
The difference is that the jump isn't going to be nearly as significant as it was last generation. Where as last generation was a difference between standards (SD and HD) this generation, all three consoles will be HD. I'm assuming it should be much easier to down port to the Wii U than it was to down port to the Wii. Especially considering what we've seen from new engines for the next cycle of consoles and what we've seen on PC, the graphical leap isn't as significant.
#94 Posted by Master_Hermes (5913 posts) -

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]

Haziqonfire

The world has a short memory, even those who follow the industry seem to forget all too quickly. In fact, even Wii U's "poor" launch numbers best the first months of both the Xbox 360 and PS3. The Wii U is clearly no runaway success like the Wii but nobody should be reaching for the panic button yet. If sales are still this slow after Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 then Nintendo should worry, but as of right now, they're crusing along just fine.  

#95 Posted by Master_Hermes (5913 posts) -

[QUOTE="rubber-chicken"]Welp they also made a system with graphics that will be again outdated in a year or so. The general public who knows it's not just a Wii attachment probably won't really care to get one when they already have a PS3 or 360.Haziqonfire
The difference is that the jump isn't going to be nearly as significant as it was last generation. Where as last generation was a difference between standards (SD and HD) this generation, all three consoles will be HD. I'm assuming it should be much easier to down port to the Wii U than it was to down port to the Wii. Especially considering what we've seen from new engines for the next cycle of consoles and what we've seen on PC, the graphical leap isn't as significant.

Not only that, I see a long tail-end for this generation. The increased buget for next-gen games coupled with the intially small install base of PS4 and the next Xbox means that publishers will absolustely have to down port games to current gen platformers, meaning that Wii U will likely recieve "middle-tier" versions of future games. 

#96 Posted by Jaysonguy (38158 posts) -

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="meetroid8"]

Master_Hermes

The world has a short memory, even those who follow the industry seem to forget all too quickly. In fact, even Wii U's "poor" January numbers best the first January of both the Xbox 360 and PS3. The Wii U is clearly no runaway success like the Wii but nobody should be reaching for the panic button yet. If sales are still this slow after Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 then Nintendo should worry, but as of right now, they're crusing along just fine.  

Nope

This hasn't happened before, that thing you said up there? That never happened.

#98 Posted by Master_Hermes (5913 posts) -

[QUOTE="Master_Hermes"]

The world has a short memory, even those who follow the industry seem to forget all too quickly. In fact, even Wii U's "poor" January numbers best the first January of both the Xbox 360 and PS3. The Wii U is clearly no runaway success like the Wii but nobody should be reaching for the panic button yet. If sales are still this slow after Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 then Nintendo should worry, but as of right now, they're crusing along just fine.  

Nope

This hasn't happened before, that thing you said up there? That never happened.

You are correct and I've edited the post. However, it still stands that the Wii U's Install base is higher than the 360 and PS3's were at this point in their lives. 

Worse has happened though, the Sega Saturn sold less than a million in the first 6 months though that's not really comparable due to the changes seen in the industry since then. 

#99 Posted by Heirren (19348 posts) -
People need to relax. It's still very new. Remember that Nintendo said they felt they weren't directly competing with e other two because the control interface was so different. We already know that the power isnt up there enough to share multiplatform games with the other two consoles next gen. However, the machine is still capable. Overall sales will determine its support. Afterall, wiiu isn't as weak as the wii. Who knows, maybe wiiu will get better versions of games. Maybe less attractive, but looks aren't everything. Just look at madden this gen--that series is utter trash and hardly took any steps forward.
#100 Posted by Master_Hermes (5913 posts) -

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

JustPlainLucas

Oh wait.

The shortages for the ps3 ended by mid-late December. It was a lot like the Wii U, you couldn't find any for the first 3-4 Weeks and then they were everywhere. You're right about the 360, though they were littering stores by the end of March 2006. the 360 didn't get momentum until Gears of War and the PS3 floundered until its price was cut to $300 years after launch.