The Off Topic Lounge: End of All Things Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#751 Posted by roboccs (7406 posts) -
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]I'm totally confused by the Fields of Fonon system in Tales of the Abyss... I'm doing it wrong and I can't figure out how to do it properly lol.WreckEm711
Omg I'm glad I'm not the only one, I've been sitting there getting frustrated because I can never get it to work. The combat seems a little too easy so far, and some of Lukes dialog is.. Bad :P I think Xenoblade being the last JRPG I played is negatively affecting my tales experience, I keep getting annoyed by little stuff :P

Yeah, Luck is a weiner for sure. But he falls into a typical JRPG archtype as does most of the story which makes me happy no matter how cliche. I thought the story was pretty good.
#752 Posted by roboccs (7406 posts) -
Pop-Fiction on gametrailers.com is awesome. If you're unfamiliar, they take video game myths and try to prove or disprove them. They do a lot of old Nintendo myths. The recent one was Totaka Song. Apparently Nintendo's other composer not named Koji Kondo hides his song in every game he works with and there are still a few of his games that the song has not been discovered in yet. This one goes over Wii Sports... and the answer they arrived at was questionable at best if you ask me. I never even heard of this Totaka Song to be honest. I remember it in a few games but never thought it was a special song.
#753 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"][QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]I'm totally confused by the Fields of Fonon system in Tales of the Abyss... I'm doing it wrong and I can't figure out how to do it properly lol.Jaysonguy

Omg I'm glad I'm not the only one, I've been sitting there getting frustrated because I can never get it to work. The combat seems a little too easy so far, and some of Lukes dialog is.. Bad :P I think Xenoblade being the last JRPG I played is negatively affecting my tales experience, I keep getting annoyed by little stuff :P

I'm really hoping Xenoblade isn't crap

I understand that all the reviewers gave it an extra 2-3 points because of all the crap tied to it so I understand that I'm going to be playing a 6.5-7.5 game. I just hope it's faults that everyone lists aren't blatant and these reviewers trying to keep their good favor with Nintendo didn't gloss them over too much

Oh you!
#754 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

Yeah, Luck is a weiner for sure. But he falls into a typical JRPG archtype as does most of the story which makes me happy no matter how cliche. I thought the story was pretty good. roboccs

I hate how mean his is to Mieu.

Mieu is so adorkable it's hard not to be like 'D'AWWWW' then Luke kicks him and stuff.

#755 Posted by alexh_99 (5378 posts) -
Pop-Fiction on gametrailers.com is awesome. If you're unfamiliar, they take video game myths and try to prove or disprove them. They do a lot of old Nintendo myths. The recent one was Totaka Song. Apparently Nintendo's other composer not named Koji Kondo hides his song in every game he works with and there are still a few of his games that the song has not been discovered in yet. This one goes over Wii Sports... and the answer they arrived at was questionable at best if you ask me. I never even heard of this Totaka Song to be honest. I remember it in a few games but never thought it was a special song.roboccs
i love pop fiction. and i agree, i didn't really hear the song in the latest episode. It sounded like they were trying to grasp something that wasn't there
#756 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

[QUOTE="roboccs"]Yeah, Luck is a weiner for sure. But he falls into a typical JRPG archtype as does most of the story which makes me happy no matter how cliche. I thought the story was pretty good. Haziqonfire

I hate how mean his is to Mieu.

Mieu is so adorkable it's hard not to be like 'D'AWWWW' then Luke kicks him and stuff.

Thats actually the part I love about the writing. I HATE the JRPG stereotype in nearly every major game that has some really small non-sensical annoying talking fluffy race. Final Fantasy, Xenoblade, Tales, EVERYTHING has them. That this game goes out of its way to make fun of them is just fantastic :D

#757 Posted by lancea34 (6912 posts) -

Man, I can't wait for MGS:3D to get released here in Europe. March 8th couldn't come soon enough.

#758 Posted by roboccs (7406 posts) -
Wow, It's weird seeing a few nuggets of Wii news. Hopefully I'll eventually get to check out both Xenoblade and Last Story. When they were first announced for Japan release I thought Last Story looked awesome and Xenoblade looked meh... Since overseas release of the games I've flip-flopped. Don't know why really. I think I saw some video on Last Story or some synopsis of it when it was released and thought I heard it was more hype than anything... I guess we'll see.
#759 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

Man this tutoring job is starting off really slow. I figured it would since most people don't even know we have biology tutors here, but supposedly I was going to be able to go to each relevant class and give a presentation on us offering the service now, but that hasn't happen yet so I've had THREE appointments so far this week. :( The rest of the time I've studied, done my homework, and still have an hour and a half to kill. Of course I'm getting paid well for it, I just want it to pick up so I can stick my knowledge inside of people!

#760 Posted by TheFallenDemon (13933 posts) -

Watched the flick "Gone Baby Gone" starring Ben's brother, Casey.

It has one of the grayest endings I've seen.

#761 Posted by JordanElek (18137 posts) -

Man this tutoring job is starting off really slow. I figured it would since most people don't even know we have biology tutors here, but supposedly I was going to be able to go to each relevant class and give a presentation on us offering the service now, but that hasn't happen yet so I've had THREE appointments so far this week. :( The rest of the time I've studied, done my homework, and still have an hour and a half to kill. Of course I'm getting paid well for it, I just want it to pick up so I can stick my knowledge inside of people!

WreckEm711

Email some bio profs and encourage them to encourage their lower-end students to check out the biology tutors. In my experience, students will listen to their profs more than anything about that kind of thing.

And just wait for midterms or whenever a big biology test is coming up. If it's anything like my experience, people will flock to you. Then you can use that time to encourage them to come throughout the semester instead of just before the test in order to REALLY learn something. And if you have the skillz, many of them will.

#762 Posted by ZumaJones07 (16458 posts) -

Man, I can't wait for MGS:3D to get released here in Europe. March 8th couldn't come soon enough.

lancea34
the heck!? i didn't know you were from not the US?
#763 Posted by ChikaraShref (4721 posts) -
LOVING the vita. i have no idea what the reviewers are smoking. this thing is incredible! :D :D :D
#764 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -
LOVING the vita. i have no idea what the reviewers are smoking. this thing is incredible! :D :D :DChikaraShref
It hasn't been getting bad hardware reviews has it..? Just software in some cases. I kind of wanted it on impulse buy, but it was just launch fever, the memory cards and games are so overpriced atm, and it really doesn't have any killer apps for me yet Bet it's exciting though isn't it! What are you liking most so far? I've heard the interface and apps are well done, and that screen is just wow
#765 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

JordanElek

Email some bio profs and encourage them to encourage their lower-end students to check out the biology tutors. In my experience, students will listen to their profs more than anything about that kind of thing.

And just wait for midterms or whenever a big biology test is coming up. If it's anything like my experience, people will flock to you. Then you can use that time to encourage them to come throughout the semester instead of just before the test in order to REALLY learn something. And if you have the skillz, many of them will.

Ive been trying to do presentations for each of the classes, but my boss won't let me til our schedules are finalized so that we can give the. A concrete time range to come in at :( until then I sit and wait :P
#766 Posted by ChikaraShref (4721 posts) -
[QUOTE="ChikaraShref"]LOVING the vita. i have no idea what the reviewers are smoking. this thing is incredible! :D :D :DWreckEm711
It hasn't been getting bad hardware reviews has it..? Just software in some cases. I kind of wanted it on impulse buy, but it was just launch fever, the memory cards and games are so overpriced atm, and it really doesn't have any killer apps for me yet Bet it's exciting though isn't it! What are you liking most so far? I've heard the interface and apps are well done, and that screen is just wow

i know the GS reviewer didn't like it. haven't read a lot of other ones. i got an 8gb memory card, which i guess isn't overly bad, since they go up to $100. but this is really my only gripe with it. i'll just wait til black friday to get another one. love the interface. apps are pretty neat(haven't experimented too much with them yet.). screen looks amazing. high quality, very sharp. its an awesome piece of technology. played hot shots golf pretty much all last night (which GS gave just a 7.5). couldn't put it down. didn't even make it to uncharted yet :lol:
#767 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -
[QUOTE="WreckEm711"][QUOTE="ChikaraShref"]LOVING the vita. i have no idea what the reviewers are smoking. this thing is incredible! :D :D :DChikaraShref

i know the GS reviewer didn't like it. haven't read a lot of other ones. i got an 8gb memory card, which i guess isn't overly bad, since they go up to $100. but this is really my only gripe with it. i'll just wait til black friday to get another one. love the interface. apps are pretty neat(haven't experimented too much with them yet.). screen looks amazing. high quality, very sharp. its an awesome piece of technology. played hot shots golf pretty much all last night (which GS gave just a 7.5). couldn't put it down. didn't even make it to uncharted yet :lol:

Very cool! I would have one too if modnation: road trip had come with online :(
#768 Posted by ChikaraShref (4721 posts) -
[QUOTE="WreckEm711"][QUOTE="ChikaraShref"][QUOTE="WreckEm711"] It hasn't been getting bad hardware reviews has it..? Just software in some cases. I kind of wanted it on impulse buy, but it was just launch fever, the memory cards and games are so overpriced atm, and it really doesn't have any killer apps for me yet Bet it's exciting though isn't it! What are you liking most so far? I've heard the interface and apps are well done, and that screen is just wow

never played one of those. i keep almost getting it, but never do :P
#769 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -
[QUOTE="ChikaraShref"][QUOTE="WreckEm711"][QUOTE="ChikaraShref"] i know the GS reviewer didn't like it. haven't read a lot of other ones. i got an 8gb memory card, which i guess isn't overly bad, since they go up to $100. but this is really my only gripe with it. i'll just wait til black friday to get another one. love the interface. apps are pretty neat(haven't experimented too much with them yet.). screen looks amazing. high quality, very sharp. its an awesome piece of technology. played hot shots golf pretty much all last night (which GS gave just a 7.5). couldn't put it down. didn't even make it to uncharted yet :lol:

I love them, It was essentially Mario Mart wii with better drift, non-cheap AI, and amazing customization and track building. My favorite part though is the energy boost/defense meter, because it added a tactical nature to the game, and sideswiping opponents is SOOOO satisfying. If they ever come out with a MNR tha has online, I'll have a vita minutes later :P
#770 Posted by lancea34 (6912 posts) -

[QUOTE="lancea34"]

ZumaJones07

the heck!? i didn't know you were from not the US?

The more you know... :P

#771 Posted by ChikaraShref (4721 posts) -
[QUOTE="WreckEm711"][QUOTE="ChikaraShref"][QUOTE="WreckEm711"] Very cool! I would have one too if modnation: road trip had come with online :(

I love them, It was essentially Mario Mart wii with better drift, non-cheap AI, and amazing customization and track building. My favorite part though is the energy boost/defense meter, because it added a tactical nature to the game, and sideswiping opponents is SOOOO satisfying. If they ever come out with a MNR tha has online, I'll have a vita minutes later :P

actually sounds pretty awesome! as you said, something like that basically NEEDS online. these days, at least...
#772 Posted by roboccs (7406 posts) -
Skyrim is just awesome. After the first town I already found myself straying away from the main storyline and instead helping a shopkeeper by finding his stolen golden claw. So I spent over an hour and completed that quest. I'm glad I chose to be an elf this time around, using the destructive magic to fry everyone in my path is so satisfying. I've also used some sword play and even a bit of stealth archery for the first time ever. They improved upon Oblivion in every way with this game... I can't say enough how much better and less intimidating the interface and menus are.
#773 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

My ISP (Bell Canada) is pathetic.

My internet hasn't been working for the past two days and I knew it was the modem. Bell decided the customer is obviously wrong. Here's my story.

My Internet story ft. Bell Internet:

Haziq: *calls Bell and tells them my modem is broke and I need a new one"
Agent 1: "Did you try unplugging your modem? I don't think you need a new modem"
Agent 2: "Did you reset your modem back to factory settings? I don't think you need a new modem"
Agent 3: "You need a new AC Adapter, not a new modem"
Agent 4: "We'll send a technician over to fix your line, you don't need a new modem. The new modem will cost you $49.95 as well as $4.95 per month, but you don't need a new modem"
Technician: "It's your modem"

SMFH.

#774 Posted by roboccs (7406 posts) -

My ISP (Bell Canada) is pathetic.

My internet hasn't been working for the past two days and I knew it was the modem. Bell decided the customer is obviously wrong. Here's my story.

My Internet story ft. Bell Internet:

Haziq: *calls Bell and tells them my modem is broke and I need a new one"
Agent 1: "Did you try unplugging your modem? I don't think you need a new modem"
Agent 2: "Did you reset your modem back to factory settings? I don't think you need a new modem"
Agent 3: "You need a new AC Adapter, not a new modem"
Agent 4: "We'll send a technician over to fix your line, you don't need a new modem. The new modem will cost you $49.95 as well as $4.95 per month, but you don't need a new modem"
Technician: "It's your modem"

SMFH.

Haziqonfire

I think the general rule to work for a cable company in customer service is you have to be pretty incompetent. Dealing with Comcast agents is worse than a tooth extraction.

#775 Posted by ChikaraShref (4721 posts) -
[QUOTE="ChikaraShref"][QUOTE="WreckEm711"][QUOTE="ChikaraShref"] never played one of those. i keep almost getting it, but never do :P

actually sounds pretty awesome! as you said, something like that basically NEEDS online. these days, at least...

actually, i have a $25 amazon gift card and the game is $30. i may just buy it. lol :P
#776 Posted by ChikaraShref (4721 posts) -
[QUOTE="ChikaraShref"][QUOTE="ChikaraShref"][QUOTE="WreckEm711"] I love them, It was essentially Mario Mart wii with better drift, non-cheap AI, and amazing customization and track building. My favorite part though is the energy boost/defense meter, because it added a tactical nature to the game, and sideswiping opponents is SOOOO satisfying. If they ever come out with a MNR tha has online, I'll have a vita minutes later :P

actually, i have a $25 amazon gift card and the game is $30. i may just buy it. lol :P

so i may as well make use of the B2G1 promo they have going on. MNR, rayman origins(which i was planning on buying anyways), any suggestions for the third?
#777 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

I think the general rule to work for a cable company in customer service is you have to be pretty incompetent. Dealing with Comcast agents is worse than a tooth extraction.

roboccs

Like I understand going through all the steps given the amount of people that honestly have no idea how things work ... but I'm telling them that it's the modem and I have some knowledge about networking, but they kept insisting it wasn't the modem and straight up lied to me saying I had to pay $49.95 for a new modem when I didn't.

#778 Posted by ChikaraShref (4721 posts) -

[QUOTE="roboccs"]

Haziqonfire

Like I understand going through all the steps given the amount of people that honestly have no idea how things work ... but I'm telling them that it's the modem and I have some knowledge about networking, but they kept insisting it wasn't the modem and straight up lied to me saying I had to pay $49.95 for a new modem when I didn't.

yes, but considering the intelligence of many of their customers, many would say its a bad modem when its just a simple fix...
#779 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

I'm spinning around
Move outta my way
I know you're feeling me
'cause you like it like this
I'm breaking it down
I'm not the same
I know you're feeling me
'cause you like it like this

XD

Today i didn't sleep,and there was a karaoke box on the Greek MTV.

And i had 3 cups of black coffee,with looootsa sugar.

:P

#780 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

yes, but considering the intelligence of many of their customers, many would say its a bad modem when its just a simple fix...ChikaraShref

That's probably true as well.

#781 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4889 posts) -

I've fallen in love with college roadtrips. :D

#782 Posted by _BlueDuck_ (11986 posts) -

I woke up to find a beaver building a small damn in my backyard. Yesterday there were Canadian geese in that same pond. I'm living the stereotypical Canadian dream apparently. Maybe I should lay out some of my old hockey sticks for the beaver to use as material just to make take it even further.

#783 Posted by JordanElek (18137 posts) -

I woke up to find a beaver building a small damn in my backyard. Yesterday there were Canadian geese in that same pond. I'm living the stereotypical Canadian dream apparently. Maybe I should lay out some of my old hockey sticks for the beaver to use as material just to make take it even further.

_BlueDuck_
And an ice home for the animals with a sign out front that says Igloo Sweet Igloo.
#784 Posted by _BlueDuck_ (11986 posts) -

[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

JordanElek

And an ice home for the animals with a sign out front that says Igloo Sweet Igloo.

It's unfortunately been a rather warm winter here.. barely below freezing at all. Damn you oil companies!

#785 Posted by ChikaraShref (4721 posts) -

[QUOTE="JordanElek"][QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

_BlueDuck_

It's unfortunately been a rather warm winter here.. barely below freezing at all. Damn you oil companies!

i agree. its a dream come true =)
#786 Posted by roboccs (7406 posts) -
After the past few horrible winters we've had, I'll take a mild one. We got hit a bit this morning and I think there's more to come.
#787 Posted by ZumaJones07 (16458 posts) -

I've fallen in love with college roadtrips. :D

ANIMEguy10034
i hope you're not like some 30 year old dude :P
#788 Posted by alexh_99 (5378 posts) -

hey roboccs! check out the updated video

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-21-pop-fiction/727049

#789 Posted by _BlueDuck_ (11986 posts) -

Hey guys I'm trying throw together a video for one of my classes, and I have no idea how to use any video editing programs; all I really need to do is cut out some part of a few videos and then combine them in to one. Any recommendations for a simple and free program I can download that can do that decently well and easily?

#790 Posted by Jaysonguy (38094 posts) -

Hey guys I'm trying throw together a video for one of my classes, and I have no idea how to use any video editing programs; all I really need to do is cut out some part of a few videos and then combine them in to one. Any recommendations for a simple and free program I can download that can do that decently well and easily?

_BlueDuck_

Can't Windows movie maker do that?

#791 Posted by Jaysonguy (38094 posts) -

POKEMONPOKEMONPOKEMON

Already called my Mom and went over the Pokemon plans

#792 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

POKEMONPOKEMONPOKEMON

Jaysonguy
I'm gonna get it as well. Though, I wished for a 3DS Pokemon game. Maybe next time. Pokemon Black was good though.
#793 Posted by meetroid8 (21142 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

POKEMONPOKEMONPOKEMON

Haziqonfire
I'm gonna get it as well. Though, I wished for a 3DS Pokemon game. Maybe next time. Pokemon Black was good though.

It's really strange that they are making another DS game. Is the only reason they did it because DS is slightly cheaper to develop for?
#794 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -
I'm really disappointed that they're making it a DS game.. Not gonna pick it up, Black is fun but I'd rather just wait for a 3DS game
#795 Posted by TheFallenDemon (13933 posts) -

I haven't played a Pokemon game in a generation of gaming.

#796 Posted by ChikaraShref (4721 posts) -
I'm really disappointed that they're making it a DS game.. Not gonna pick it up, Black is fun but I'd rather just wait for a 3DS game WreckEm711
i'm extremely confused by that move....shouldn't they try to push their hardware? Pokemon sells systems...
#797 Posted by ChikaraShref (4721 posts) -

I haven't played a Pokemon game in a generation of gaming.

TheFallenDemon
white was the first (and only) one i've played. i was very unimpressed. for how great i had heard the pokemon games were, it was pretty bad =/
#798 Posted by TheFallenDemon (13933 posts) -

They're probably just buying time to keep the fanbase satiated while preparing for the next gen of Pokemon Beef and Pork editions.

#799 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4889 posts) -

I don't like the new mascots. Black Kyurem and White Kyurem look hideous. :?

File:646Kyurem-AltForme2.png

File:646Kyurem-AltForme1.png

I need some time to get used to them.
Oh well. I'm still getting it even though I was highly disappointed that it wasn't a 3DS exclusive.

#800 Posted by roboccs (7406 posts) -

hey roboccs! check out the updated video

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-21-pop-fiction/727049

alexh_99
Yeah, I saw that one. I never even heard of that Totakas song before. I played a few of those games and never noticed it before. It's cool to see that there are so many "unanswered" questions in gaming. Also, had a fun gaming weekend. I was quite productive in Star Ocean 4. I also finally sat and played some Final Fantasy 6... I'm pretty early on but man, that Kefka's a bastard... no wonder he is regarded as one of the best villains. And finally, got to face my first dragon in Skyrim... I'm only on level 3 and went at him. I got his HP down past halfway, but then he breathed fire on me and that was the end. It was great because I was legitimately scared and on-edge when I saw him...