This topic is locked from further discussion.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts

I say it's never to early to think ahead, so that's what i'm doing. As i see it, Nintendo will probably do with the DS what they did with the Game boy and improve the handheld by adding new fetures, not making something compleatly new. I'm going to post my idea, and i hope that you will post yours. Oh, and please note that i don't know a lot about the technical side of this, like how powerfull the graphics engine could possibly be, ect.

The DSX

The DSX would be a highly improved version of the DS Lite, and would have the samd basic structure. However There are fivechanges to the build though. Number one, there is an exra hole on the left of the DSX, which contains another stylis. Number two, on the back there would many tiny slots, because the game cartrige would be the height of a DS game, but much thiner. Because of their small size, you could fit a large number into your DSX at once, and then choose which one to play. And like the DS, the DSX would have a slot for past games to be inserted, and could play DS games, GBA, GBC, and the original Game Boy. Number three, there would now be 3 mics instead of one, offering a much more precise detection of sound. fourth, the top screen would be much larger now. Finaly, it would be a little bigger now. As you probably guessed, both screens are touch screen and can sense two points being touched at once, thus the second Stylis and larger top screen. Another very intresting feture is that the DSX has the ability to sense tilting in all directions. The graphics would be bumped up a notch to about Gamecube level, and we would finaly have the harddrive we've been waiting for. The downside is that all of these new fetures would make it cost quite a bit.

cotser15200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 cotser15200
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Hi all, first message.

Ok, sounds a bit too much. The graphics couldn't be changed and any games with the improved graphics you're mentioning couldn't work on the original DS and Lite.

Two touch screens means you'll have to have it on a flat surface when playing and, again, games with this ability wouldn't be able to play on the DS and Lite.

Multiple game slots sounds reasonable but the console would have to be twice as thick (or more) to fit these.

Tilt technology also means that the DS and Lite would suffer.

My opinion

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts

That would go against everything that Nintendo focus' on when they make systems. Affordability.

The DS Lite IS the improved DS. It'll never get updated until a successor comes along.

Lonnie2Hottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Lonnie2Hottie
Member since 2005 • 933 Posts

That would go against everything that Nintendo focus' on when they make systems. Affordability.

The DS Lite IS the improved DS. It'll never get updated until a successor comes along.

Bgrngod

This is exactly what I was thinking. Well said.

ta11on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ta11on
Member since 2007 • 784 Posts

My thought on the upcomming DS.

Super Nintendo DS:

It will look very much like the DS lite, but a bit bigger(not thicker) because the screens will be bigger. (It will still be able to play original DS games at the original rsolution, but with a black line around the border, like GBA games on the DS Lite.) There will be no GBA slot. There will be added internal memory, and a micro SD memory card slot. The port for the charger will also be able to fit with a cable to be plugged in to the computer. Some games will be compatible with online programs, like Disney DGamer. The internal memory will allow you to download DS games from the Wii, and DS Downlad them to your DS, and they dont go away after powering the DS down. It will probably have the same style menu, but with added options for music, pictures, moives, and games. Nintendo may even add a built in web browser. Hopefully a lot better than the DS Browser. The graphics may be upgraded a little, but I do not expect anything close to even a PSP. This is what I think about the new DS comming out in a few years, or longer?

red_sovereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 red_sovereign
Member since 2007 • 1936 Posts
the tilt thing is real talk though!! nintendo put a patent on that...so maybe we can see it the ds2 or whatever the next portable is!
IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 IpodHero176
Member since 2006 • 16952 Posts

Bgrngod

That's what I was thinking when I read the TC's posts.

podliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 podliver
Member since 2007 • 1765 Posts

Ummmmm...you said this would improve upon the DS opposed to making a whole new system?

I'm sorry but what you have described would technically be considered a whole new system. (ex: both screens being touchscreen, having gamecube level graphics, AND a hard drive)

:? :? :?

omishboy4831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 omishboy4831
Member since 2008 • 180 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Nintendo was thinking about making a new thinner version of the ds without the gba slot.
Ultima_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ultima_5
Member since 2008 • 1614 Posts

Number two, on the back there would many tiny slots, because the game cartrige would be the height of a DS game, but much thiner. Because of their small size, you could fit a large number into your DSX at once, and then choose which one to play.Head_of_games

I seriously doubt game carts will get much smaller. they are already to easy to lose, any smaller would be a idiotic. nintendo would make the games that would able to be saved on flash memory before shrinking the games any smaller. and if there two stylus' how would you hold it?

jaygun007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jaygun007
Member since 2005 • 180 Posts

Here goes... THE GAMEBOY2

After the Ds long success in the handheld industry, Nintendo will decide to keep the DS as one of their handhelds on the market and pickup the Gameboy line again with the GameBOY2. The Game boy 2 overall layout will resemble that of the VC controler for the wii, spread out the dpad and buttons, move the middle buttons(start, select, home) to the bottom to be easily usable, and stick a nice 4.5in Screen in the center, about the size of a psp screen. Because of the bigger- open faced build, the Gameboy 2 can fit all types of nintendo cartidges for gameboys used b4 ( gbc, gba, gb) and the games wont stick out like on the dsl. The gameboy 2games will have disks, slightly thicker than an average g-cube disc for sturdiness and easy slideable inside of the disc/cartridge slot. 2 slots on the bottom provide memory stick use and headphone connects. No more touch screen as nintendo will still be persuing that on the ds, but the gameboy to will use wifi and have smooth g-cube grafix. And that is my presentation of the gameboy2!!

jann_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 jann_101
Member since 2006 • 65 Posts

You've got a good sense of imagination there..

The next Nintendo handheld would probably have some of your visions like the motion sensitive part..

But then i'm quite sure that your DSX would probably cost a fortune..

;a fact that caused the dominance of the DS againts the PSP..

because nintendo tries to keep their consoles in an affordable price..

Tokyo512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tokyo512
Member since 2007 • 1207 Posts
A few small problems. Ok almost pointless to have 2 styli. I mean, whats going to hold the DS if your touching one spot on the top with the stylus and another on the bottom? There are others but I can't quite explain them.
foreversai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 foreversai
Member since 2004 • 1801 Posts
Consider this:
GBA -> GBA SP
DS -> DS Lite

The next Nintendo Handheld would probably be something like GB Color>GBA. Most likely improved visuals, wider screen, touchscreen that is capable of sensing multiple touches, and maybe a different cart. And like how they made past Nintendo handhelds, it would probably have backward capabilities to the DS.
silentmage_245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 silentmage_245
Member since 2008 • 378 Posts

Naw. I don't support the DS to have 2 touch screens, I mean, you don't need it, do you?

The graphics cannot improve. If it does, those newer games with better graphics cannot be played on the old DS, only on the DSX (what you call).

Though the sound can improve.

Stylus needs to be a little longer (not that I have a big hand).

The screens DEFINITELY needs to be larger.

And a shock-proof DS!

TechDresdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 TechDresdain
Member since 2008 • 85 Posts

A DSX. what's that supposed to mean?

One, I hate two screens that are touch screens.

Two, I'm contented with the DS Lite.

Three, Do you need two styluses in playing

Four, Ds LITE is Lite and that DSX is BIGand I hated the big one

Five, If DSX is the improvement, why they didn't add new buttons

Six, Larger screens?

Seven, how can you play the cartridge game of DSX to the DS lite.

Finally, Nintendo can't do that, DS was just released two years ago.

foreversai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 foreversai
Member since 2004 • 1801 Posts
The graphics cannot improve. If it does, those newer games with better graphics cannot be played on the old DS, only on the DSX (what you call).ALL THOSE THAT SAID SOMETHING SIMILAR

When has the Gameboy Color been able to play Gameboy Advance Games? Or has the N64 been able to play GameCube games? -_-"

A DSX. what's that supposed to mean? ALL THOSE THAT SAID SOMETHING SIMILAR

The DS Lite is an improved version of the DS, like GBA SP is to the GBA. The proposed DSX by the threadmaker is a proposed next handheld, like how the GBA is to the GB Color.
And next gen handheld/consoles always are improved over the old ones (if not a total revamp), when did you ever see them becoming worst? -_-"

Finally, Nintendo can't do that, DS was just released two years ago. ALL THOSE THAT SAID SOMETHING SIMILAR

First available
NA November 21, 2004
JP December 2, 2004
AUS February 24, 2005
EU March 11, 2005
Joshunar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Joshunar
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts

that first guy's ideas are retarded. if they made a new ds it should just have slightly better graphics, faster wifi, built in internet, and a hard drive. these things would mostly be to have mmo's.

another thing was thing was a built in camera on the inside. and wifi pictochat with colors for drawing pictures.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

TechDresdain

DSX would mean Developer System X-treme! Cause it makes it sound cooler because everything cool has an X where the E should be.

vicdmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 vicdmx
Member since 2007 • 428 Posts

Consider this:
GBA -> GBA SP
DS -> DS Lite

The next Nintendo Handheld would probably be something like GB Color>GBA. Most likely improved visuals, wider screen, touchscreen that is capable of sensing multiple touches, and maybe a different cart. And like how they made past Nintendo handhelds, it would probably have backward capabilities to the DS.foreversai

yeah this person is right... nice idea :)

aaa

jann_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 jann_101
Member since 2006 • 65 Posts
[QUOTE="TechDresdain"]

Minishdriveby

DSX would mean Developer System X-treme! Cause it makes it sound cooler because everything cool has an X where the E should be.

Lolz.. hahahaha..!

Toad6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Toad6
Member since 2006 • 99 Posts
He's right, the DS Lite IS the improoved DS.