Switch without the home docking port?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

endersdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 endersdragon
Member since 2013 • 207 Posts

I was wondering if anyone thought it might be possible that we will see a bundle without the docking port that makes it cheaper. The docking port seems unnecessary if all you are interested in is mobile gaming, like many people in their core audience (Japanese people and kids) are. So do you think that the docking port will always be there or if it might be a bundle option like the Kinect was for a while.

P.S. I want the docking port but I know often gamers in Japan don't care so much about home console gaming and I want it to do well too.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@endersdragon: I think Nintendo will sell one separate. They probably dont want to say much with Holiday sales and Pokemon releasing soon. I think Pokemon Sun and Moon might come to NX also.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

I'd buy this also without the dock. I don't need to play those games on TV.

endersdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 endersdragon
Member since 2013 • 207 Posts

@iandizion713: I am thinking a Pokemon reboot starting over with Gen 1... They can do so much more now than even on the 3DS... Time to reboot the series

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#5 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@endersdragon: I think Nintendo will sell one separate. They probably dont want to say much with Holiday sales and Pokemon releasing soon. I think Pokemon Sun and Moon might come to NX also.

You may be right. If not a Pokemon updated version of Sun Moon

CrillanK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CrillanK
Member since 2008 • 272 Posts

@groowagon said:

I'd buy this also without the dock. I don't need to play those games on TV.

What do you mean by "those games"? So you don't play any consoles then? If this gets the 3rd party support they're suggesting, it will have more of the standard console "hype" games that the other consoles have. You don't want to play them on TV?

CrillanK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CrillanK

I seriously doubt they'll sell the tablet separately. It's intended to be a home console, not just a portable. They haven't said they're ending the 3DS any time soon, so they'd be shooting themselves in the foot to put a competing portable standalone product out there. We'll see next year, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

if this is going to replace the handhelds then yes it will be sold seperately.

however if it is not then that means they might actually still release a successor to the 3DS..

i doubt it though. all that 3rd party has to be for their handheld which has to be the switch.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@KBFloYd: I dont think itll replace handhelds. I think Nintendo will release another device that plays bout the same games but have features kids enjoy like cameras, touchscreen, etc.

Now Nintendo can cater more toward kids and fans wont get mad and complain cause they have their own handheld.

Iphone and Ipad are a little too pricey for kids. But if Nintendo can make a touch device like Iphone and Ipad, but with control features from Switch at an affordable price, i think would be sweet.

Nevermind, the more i think about it, Nintendo Switch is kinda perfect for kids too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@CrillanK: by those games i obviously meant Nintendo Switch games. Shocker, right?

I already have PS4 and PC. I'll be happy playing Switch games on the portable screen only.

CrillanK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CrillanK

@groowagon said:

@CrillanK: by those games i obviously meant Nintendo Switch games. Shocker, right?

I already have PS4 and PC. I'll be happy playing Switch games on the portable screen only.

I guess what I was getting at is, if games like Skyrim and other big 3rd party games come to the Switch, would you play those games exclusively on the tablet? That's just surprising to me since I find those more suited to a bigger screen. Just preference, I guess.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

We haven't seen all the functionality of the Switch yet, but if it is as simple as what we've seen so far, then I could imagine that they could do a simplified bundle without the dock, making it cheaper. I would imagine that they'd do it a year or so after launch to regenerate buzz for the system.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@CrillanK said:
@groowagon said:

I guess what I was getting at is, if games like Skyrim and other big 3rd party games come to the Switch, would you play those games exclusively on the tablet? That's just surprising to me since I find those more suited to a bigger screen. Just preference, I guess.

Yeah i guess i wouldn't play them exclusively on Switch, since i think too that they are better on bigger screen. Unless i would be in travel-heavy life situtation.

I'd be happy to play exclusives on this device though, even only through the mobile screen.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

They have to right? It would be kind of stupid not to.

Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Tonindo
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts

Nintendo keeps insisting that this is their next home console, so it would be pretty strange for them to offer a dockless variant out of the gate. This could happen in Japan though. I expect them to sell the dock separately after one year on the market depending on how well it's doing.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

If the docking station does nothing but provide hook up to the television then yes a SKU with just the Nintendo Switch tablet and the joy con controllers will be released. The "Core" bundle.

The other Nintendo Switch SKU will be the Tablet Joy con Controllers, The Docking Station/TV hook ups, the Joy Con controller shell, and maybe a pack in game. a throw a way Nintendo Switch version of Nintendo land a mini game/tech demo collection of short games At beat a throw a way game like the Metroid Prime hunters Demo when the Nintendo DS launched way back in 2004. The pack in game will be a throw a way game a best.

The Switch SKU without the docking station will be to say that the price is $249.99 same way that the Wii U 8GB Basic set was to be able to say the Wii U started a below $300.00. Since the basic set was useless and sold at $299.99. So a dock less SKU Switch basic set will be sold at $249.99 while the Deluxe set is $324.99 or $349.99

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

I read somewhere that Nintendo does not intend to sell the Switch by itself initially. I have mixed feelings about bundles...why not just buy the console and pick a game that you know you want. What if you want a Mario game and all of the bundles have Zelda or vice versa? What if the game is a digital game and not a physical in the bundle? What if you don't want to pay extra for a pro controller initially and all of the bundles cost more because they have a pro. Also you know that there are going to be shortages at first in part because some retailers are going to have $500 bundles. I could see the $100 3DS and the 2DS sticking around for awhile for children.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

I'm not sure if they'll sell a Switch console without the dock (they might), but I think they are likely to sell the dock as a separate product, because you may want to use Switch with multiple TVs in the same house - in which case, having more than one dock makes sense.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

Highly unlikely they will do that, at least not initially. They want to keep the message simple and concise; not have multiple SKU's for people to worry about. Maybe down the line, they may try that, but if you want it in the first 2-3 years--your going to have to get the dock.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

Now there is talk that there will be 2 different skus based on storage capacity, $250 and $300. Just have 1 sku so everyone will be using the same hardware, and there is enough storage for Nintendo e-shop games if you want them. Didn't Nintendo have to upgrade 8GB Wii U's to 32GB because 8GB didn't sell as well? Not sure if that story was true. But I know there was not enough storage on the 32GB for more than a couple of HD games. Yes there is the option for adding SD cards, but wouldn't be more cost effective for Nintendo to just make one type of hardware?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

I was actually wondering this myself considering there's rumors of $249 price. Only way I see that being feasible is that they just have the portable unit sold separately. Which is fine by me since I'd mostly use it as a handheld anyways.

Z00M4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Z00M4
Member since 2016 • 114 Posts

I wish Nintendo would make the portable part HDMI ready. I doubt this will happen, though, because Nintendo likes to do the opposite of what is right sometimes for no reason other than to be different.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

I don't know that it would drive cost down much really... there's nothing in it but ports.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#24 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

Its not going to have a sku without the dock the system is a home console handheld hybrid as such will be sold as what it was shown