Switch needs a killer Pokemon game... and probably a Pokemon Direct soon

This topic is locked from further discussion.

endersdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 endersdragon
Member since 2013 • 207 Posts

I firmly believe that Nintendo's biggest system seller isn't Mario or Zelda (though make no mistake, Breath of the Wild will sell a lot of systems) but Pokemon. Every new Pokemon game(s) is in the top few best selling games of the year, with both OR/AS and Sun/Moon earning the top spot. Pokemon games always sell incredibly well, and move a lot of systems. Zelda and Mario right now are seen as being games that will obviously be on the Switch, not so much with Pokemon as outside of Pokemon Stars we haven't heard much about it, and Nintendo doesn't seem to want to totally decommit from the 3DS. They need to do that soon to see the first month/year from the Switch that they want, even if the games are just "on the way". Here are a couple of ideas of how they can do that (my names are subject to change, just what I think they might be called):

Pokemon Stars- already been talked about even if not formally announced. IMO not the biggest idea out there unless they do major league upgrades to Pokemon Sun/Moon.

Pokemon Reimagined Red and Blue (Gen 1 re-imagining): Pokemon Go wasn't the thing that overtook the constant number 1 most searched item last year because of the Gen 4 stars... it was because of the gen 1 stars that so many know and love that it became such a hit. For a re-imagining (which as much as I love gen 1... it needs a lot more depth when we go back) I am imagining the monsters and world of Pokemon with a story like Ni No Kuni or Dragon Quest with lots of fun side quests and an engaging main quest-line. Then you can continue this trend as you give the same treatments to all the other generations. Yes... you could start with Gen 4... but we haven't even seen Gen 1 since the GBA and Gen 1 is by far more popular than Gen 4.

Lastly PokeWorlds (Pokemon MMORPG): Why this has never done before I will never understand, the Pokemon franchise seems made for it. When I imagine this I imagine a game with a robust PvE experience where you go around the worlds (1 "world" for each generation), collecting as many pokemon as you can, and battling the gym leaders for your prizes. Pretty standard Pokemon stuff. The twist would be in the PvP. If I was in charge (sadly I am not), I would create a world with all sorts of tournaments all the time and have that be the PvP. The tournaments would be constantly switched up so that you can only use a certain type of pokemon, or a certain generation of pokemon, etc (with special elite tournaments where everything goes) and possibly as a reward, you (or an AI version of you) are made the gym leader until the next time the tournament comes up. Sound interesting?

Well those are just some of my ideas on how to make Pokemon the best selling console it can be, any ideas you want to share?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#2 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Pokemon Snap would be cool for Switch.

lilkarlh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lilkarlh666
Member since 2009 • 168 Posts

One pokemon game i would love to see bought back for the switch would be a new stadium game.

I think that would be be perfect for a hybrid style console.

Subnerv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Subnerv
Member since 2017 • 8 Posts

I wouldn't mind seeing any form of a Pokémon game on the Nintendo Switch. Just make it happen right now.

MireiIle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5 MireiIle
Member since 2017 • 51 Posts

It's really exciting, if the Switch gets a "main series" Pokemon game, it will be the first main series Pokemon game on a home console. I can't wait to see what it will look like if it does turn out to be a thing!

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

if the rumoured pokemon stars for switch and monster hunter are announced soon then....then i cant be held responsible for my actions frankly.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Totally agreed. They got the other pieces going with zelda and mario mario kart etc. get us a metroid game for kicks but a pokemon game would sell these bad boys soooo fast.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

@osan0: All their other rumors turned out to be false, why believe that Pokemon Stars thing? Saying that though, I do believe Switch will get a main series Pokemon game, if Nintendo announces one--it will probably be at or around E3 this year.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Yea..will sell like hotcakes when it does...does have to the main Pokemon game though..& not go & release it on 3DS either...Need to keep it a Switchy exclusive. :P

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

@Sepewrath: just gotta have faith....just BELIEVE!!!

hmm the other rumours were false....not a good sign :S.

basically though a mainline pokemon gamefor the switch would be just the ticket.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I just find it astonishing that Pokemon wasn't at the fore front, I mean the Pokemon Company had zero prescence at the unveil and treehouse, and haven't been in any trailer, not even a basic teaser like a pokeball or Pikachu. I can understand putting Sun/Moon on 3DS, but they could have done that Detective Pikachu in a port, that would have been brand new to everyone not in Japan. That and Pokemon Snap seem to be the top 2 that people talk about.

I was thinking they'd make some crazy cool must have Pokemon, that draws people's interest like Pokemon Red/Blue did back in the day. Like maybe make a "grown up" Pokemon, kind of like Zelda and Mario, where you take the concepts of the past, but make something brand new and incredible.

My favorite idea would be 3D 3rd person perspective game, but make the world Xenoblade huge, and have the pokemon roam free like Monster Hunter, but build some new battling system, where "grinding" and PVE is MMO style, so yeah basically the Pokemon MMO people always talk about. Of course we're likely to see some new form of Picross.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

It is beyond me why the Switch didn't get its exclusive Pokémon version of Sun/Moon. Add a bonus chapter, a handfull new Pokémon and maybe update some graphics / effects and that thing would sell systems.

AkitaOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AkitaOne
Member since 2017 • 13 Posts

With unifying console and portable software production, we will get a Pokemon game. I hope they wait until it is ready to announce it, and not do announcements of announcements for the purpose of making an announcement.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

@akitaone: The funny thing, I bet if you counted them up, console has probably had more Pokemon games, in terms of new titles. Like if you count Red, Blue and Yellow 1 time each for hand held, but then count any held game ported to console count as a console Pokemon game, I'm sure console has had more pokemon games.

Meaning there is countless Pokemon themed games, console just never got a main line, not even in a port. If the Triage of Sun and Moon is put on Switch only, then, and only then, will I 100% believe that Switch is a legit hybrid of hand held and console.

MireiIle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15 MireiIle
Member since 2017 • 51 Posts

This will be the first Pokemon home console adventure since XD, right? That's pretty exciting. And it could be a proper adventure, with all the normal elements that XD lacked.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

The Switch would be an instant succes if they would create a fully 3D Pokemon RPG in the likes of Final Fantasy or Xenoblade.