Splatoons impression after getting the game

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#51 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

Still enjoying the hell out of it, although ranked is more annoying that fun so I'm sticking with regular until the new modes.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#52 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@megane said:

Still enjoying the hell out of it, although ranked is more annoying that fun so I'm sticking with regular until the new modes.

Since ranking up is based on the team winning it means that no matter how good or how bad you are, you got a chance to advance. I'm rank B currently, but I should be higher with some bad draws. Its just the way of the game so far. That will be all fixed by the august update.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Megane

@bunchanumbers:

I feel like teams don't matter as much in regular, they still matter a lot but you don't have to worry about your team being in the right place at the right time.

There is also definitely more weapon variety in regular, ranked is mostly Krak-On Splat Roller, .52 Gal and Custom Blaster.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 bunchanumbers

@megane said:

@bunchanumbers:

I feel like teams don't matter as much in regular, they still matter a lot but you don't have to worry about your team being in the right place at the right time.

There is also definitely more weapon variety in regular, ranked is mostly Krak-On Splat Roller, .52 Gal and Custom Blaster.

I used to use the .52 gal deco a lot but have since moved onto the custom squelcher. But my gear also dictated this change. I got a bunch of dmg increase upgrades to it adds more impact to my shooting.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Megane

@bunchanumbers:

I hope you know that each bonus of the same type halves it's effect and after the third one it does nothing.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 bunchanumbers

@megane said:

@bunchanumbers:

I hope you know that each bonus of the same type halves it's effect and after the third one it does nothing.

yup indeed I do. The improvement in score in the ranked matches tell the tale. My issue is with turf wars. Since I'm level 20, understand how the game works and have the equipment and the upgrades I can dominate it pretty easily. I can end up with highest score even though I'm on the losing team. I need to stay away from it because people might see my score and it would discourage them from playing.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#57 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

I think I'm the only one that is already sick of this game. I've managed to be level 12 and half the single player challenge and, dunno, don't have the interest in keeping playing it.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#58 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts
Loading Video...

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#59 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Coco_pierrot said:

I think I'm the only one that is already sick of this game. I've managed to be level 12 and half the single player challenge and, dunno, don't have the interest in keeping playing it.

Same here. The good thing, being a Nintendo game, is that I can sell it now and only lose a few dollars.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 bunchanumbers

@freedom01 said:
Loading Video...

I would have preferred this over the squid/kid commercial. It blew up meme wise but dammit it was a poor commercial.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

New map out today!

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#62 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:
@megane said:

@bunchanumbers:

yup indeed I do. The improvement in score in the ranked matches tell the tale. My issue is with turf wars. Since I'm level 20, understand how the game works and have the equipment and the upgrades I can dominate it pretty easily. I can end up with highest score even though I'm on the losing team. I need to stay away from it because people might see my score and it would discourage them from playing.

im still with my 52gal.....attack shoes/attack goggles/defense sweater

so you can see what type of player i am :P

i thought about trying the 92gal but no need.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

@bulby_g:Honestly, Unreal Tournament and Quake are what remind me of Splatoon as well.

Voice chat would have been nice, for those who do not like it they could simply have an option to universally mute it. But I am fine without it. I would rather have core fun game than a strong meta interface.

The constant tutorials are bothersome. The Twins do not need to talk about the same maps every time I turn on the game. The vendors do not need to tell me every time where I can find my equipment I just bought from them.

They just added a new map by the way!

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 trugs26

The new map is awesome in Splat Zones. I love moving around the rafters and whatnot defending the zone.

In Turf Wars though, due to its size, it favours the roller. You could get away with medium-long range weapons. Short range weapons like Splattershot Jr. and Aerospray are useless.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Megane

The new map is okay, but the weakest so far.

I'm getting tired of the game now, it's still a great game but I'm seeing far too many Custom Blasters and Krak-On Splat Rollers, which add to the annoyance of getting bad teams.

I'm hoping at some point they raise the level cap to at least 50 because everyone is level 20 by now.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@megane: interestingly enough, i keep seeing a bunch of lower level players. almost all are japanese though!

i agree with the comment on krak-on splat roller. the rollers are OP as it is, but then you give them an unstoppable special. At least with the inkzooka and inkstrike, you are vulnerable and have to take the risk to use it. there's no downside to the kraken- it's ridiculously fast and kills instantly (much like the roller, so i guess it fits lol!)

I love how the rollers can kill you instantly when they're below you- they jump, splat and you die. or they can splat ink across cover, like the middle platforms on the port map.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#67 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I guess it would be safe to say that this is an IP Nintendo will continue to support. Hopefully even if people don't like this first game, improvements on sequels will please more people.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#68 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I'm loving the game, well the multiplayer anyway, though I wish it just rotated though all the maps instead of just two because I'm not a fan of Blackbelly Skatepark, but whenever that's in rotation it's the only map that ever shows up (and it's almost always in the rotation when I play).

Also, the Splatoon community has some amazing Miiverse artists.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Love the new map, best one so far because of the rafters and the chaos they create. Wish they would unlock the third map in the rotation though, although 7 maps probably doesn't warrant that yet.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 bunchanumbers

@megane said:

The new map is okay, but the weakest so far.

I'm getting tired of the game now, it's still a great game but I'm seeing far too many Custom Blasters and Krak-On Splat Rollers, which add to the annoyance of getting bad teams.

I'm hoping at some point they raise the level cap to at least 50 because everyone is level 20 by now.

I wouldn't be shocked if they raise the level cap by E3 and start including new gear. I'm not running into too many custom blasters, but have ran into a lot of splattershot pros. But it seems to me like some of their weapon sets are too perfect. The Splattershot Jr comes to mind. We still need to see the cat vs dog wars too. They should consider giving out custom gear for the announcement. Like a shirt with a cat or dog face on it.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

@bunchanumbers:Splatoon allows for so much speed in aiming.

@lord_magikarp: It may be a gimmick in many games, but it only serves for a more competitive playing field in Splatoon. It is much faster than the analog stick. You have to learn how to balance turning the right analog for moving the entire frame right/left and the motion for the actual cursor.

Plus I think the analog controls are not properly implemented. It seems like they applied it as an afterthought. It has a deadzone that is way to large and the momentum in turning is awkward. It does not have the fidelity that Gears of War has as a TPS.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By bunchanumbers

Have you guys seen the Splatfest shirts in Inkopolis? I saw them but Spike won't steal it. Where does it come from?

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Megane

Any objections to Arowana Mall being the best map? It accommodates all weapon types really well and it never feels like it's too hard to take back the Splat Zone, while still allowing coordination to give the other team a hard time.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By bunchanumbers

@megane said:

Any objections to Arowana Mall being the best map? It accommodates all weapon types really well and it never feels like it's too hard to take back the Splat Zone, while still allowing coordination to give the other team a hard time.

Good choice. I was leaning towards the underpass, but the mall is open enough and offers enough options that the underpass does not. New weapon tonight!

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Megane

@bunchanumbers:

Underpass is good, but in Splat Zones it's too awkward to take back the zone, because there are only three narrow entry points to the middle and four players to defend them and they'll always have the ink advantage too.

Lord_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Lord_Magikarp
Member since 2015 • 374 Posts

@bunchanumbers: I like steel and box the best!

ZyroXZ2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 ZyroXZ2
Member since 2014 • 92 Posts

The Ranked Battles are a whole different ballgame when you start moving up in rank... The problem is the nightmare it becomes when you start getting higher and higher and there aren't enough players, so they start mixing ranks.

Usually, that means a higher ranked player will get lower ranked/lower skill matched players, and I already found this to be a problem at B+, finding many of my teammates were not quite up to par with their aggressive tactics and loadouts, and that led to some frustrating matches, lol

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 trugs26

@zyroxz2 said:

The Ranked Battles are a whole different ballgame when you start moving up in rank... The problem is the nightmare it becomes when you start getting higher and higher and there aren't enough players, so they start mixing ranks.

Usually, that means a higher ranked player will get lower ranked/lower skill matched players, and I already found this to be a problem at B+, finding many of my teammates were not quite up to par with their aggressive tactics and loadouts, and that led to some frustrating matches, lol

I'm at B+ at the moment and I'm constantly in rooms with everyone else at B+. Occasionally I get B- or A ranked players, but it's pretty consistently matching with my level appropriately.

In terms of my ranking, I'm still moving up, but slowly. I can imagine being in the A- league soon and sitting there for a while. We'll see soon.

BasketLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 BasketLord
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

I personally love Splatoon. As far as the matchmaking, I got the game on the release day, so it was never a problem for me. However, I do dislike the huge gap between the newer players and experienced ones. I LOVE the ranked battles way of ranking, since I'm not thrown against amazing A-rank players to lose my rank. I feel as if Nintendo implemented the Ranked Battles system into Turf War, it would be a lot less unbalanced. Perhaps a new player's rank for levels 1-4, one for 5-9, and then 10+. When I first started, I never got above 300 or so points, but now, as a level 16, I'm racking points up much higher than that to keep up with the majority of players that are exceptionally good.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#80 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

We just bought Splatoon and played it yesterday. What a playful, fun, and challenging game this is. I generally prefer local play, but tried the on-line play first. There were no problems with connecting or lag. I don’t usually pay full price for a game, but Splatoon was worth it. The reports about Splatoon being addictive are true. My wife, who doesn’t normally game on the console, tried the on-line play and kept hitting the “play again” button. I think she is going to keep playing because she took possession of the Inkling Girl Amiibo and saved data. I still need to start the story mode, explore the features of the game, and experiment with the different guns to figure out what I am most comfortable with. I am pleased with how the Gamepad works with this game in addition to the NFC/Amiibo functionality, having the second screen is great for local multiplayer. Nintendo hit another home run.

ZyroXZ2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 ZyroXZ2
Member since 2014 • 92 Posts

@trugs26 said:
@zyroxz2 said:

I'm at B+ at the moment and I'm constantly in rooms with everyone else at B+. Occasionally I get B- or A ranked players, but it's pretty consistently matching with my level appropriately.

In terms of my ranking, I'm still moving up, but slowly. I can imagine being in the A- league soon and sitting there for a while. We'll see soon.

Funny you mention, later that night I actually got matches properly matched up with B and B+ ranks... And then it got messy again and we had two A+ along with two B- ranks... Maybe it has to do with the skill ranking as well or something! *shrug* I'm A- now, but I haven't played since then, lol

imnotsurebut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By imnotsurebut
Member since 2015 • 15 Posts

Im not sure but i think this game would profit from more screens on the nintendo 3DS. maybe like 8 screens, 3 of which have touch.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 freedom01  Moderator

@bunchanumbers you might like this

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 trugs26

New map is out tonight :D

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#85  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

Here's a pic of the new map and footage.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@trugs26: I think im gonna try it out tonight. I enjoyed that last map, it was chaotic, i struggled at first for a couple times, my average points dropped on the map, but after a few tries i started to get my points back up.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By bunchanumbers

@freedom01 said:

@bunchanumbers you might like this

argh that's so beautiful! Is it a actual GCN controller or is it a classic controller?

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By freedom01  Moderator

@bunchanumbers: its the Wii U Fight Pad, connects to your Wii Mote,

http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/accessories/wii-u-fight-pad-controller-toad/122328

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 bunchanumbers

@freedom01 said:

@bunchanumbers: its the Wii U Fight Pad, connects to your Wii Mote,

http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/accessories/wii-u-fight-pad-controller-toad/122328

Ah darn. I would have loved it if it was a actual GCN controller. I would love that thing. In Splatoon news, a new weapon will be available tonight. The Luna Blaster. Looks like its a pretty crazy close range weapon.

L0rd_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 L0rd_Magikarp
Member since 2015 • 64 Posts

I can now say I am off of Splatoon, it just go so boring and repetitive, but now batman has come to save me

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 GameboyTroy

Luna Blaster DLC Weapon Tour

Loading Video...

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 trugs26

New weapon looks pretty cool. I like the power of it. But I'm not a fan of the ink mine.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

That Luna Blaster sure looks cool, the way it explodes.
I just hate weapons with such a short range.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i ditched the 52gal..... i now use the 96gal....

too bad the 96gal sub and special weapons suck.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 GameboyTroy

Japanese splatfest

Loading Video...

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

hoo boy I have been a machine in ranked battles lately.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 trugs26

@Bigboi500 said:

What rank are you up to? And what is your weapon set?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 bunchanumbers

@KBFloYd said:

i ditched the 52gal..... i now use the 96gal....

too bad the 96gal sub and special weapons suck.

I wouldn't doubt if they make a deco version later. Either way the weapon is a beast on its own. I like the 3 round burst gun myself. But its sub weapon and special are nothing special. So I guess I'm in the same boat lol

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@trugs26 said:
@Bigboi500 said:

What rank are you up to? And what is your weapon set?

Well I recently got up to level 20, so haven't been playing ranked too long. During my beasting last night I got up to C+ and was destroying Japanese players ranked in the B's (those that play know some of the Japanese players are super good btw). Got 17 kills in one match.

My current weapon is that gold fast repeater that lay down a lot of ink, sorry I don't know its name but you probably know what it's called. It has ink mines and ink strike and I love using those. :P But I also think the bubble shield is probably the best to have.

DigitalNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 DigitalNoodle
Member since 2003 • 323 Posts

I get totally destroyed in Ranked matches but do pretty well in Turf War.