Should Nintendo fire Satoru Iwata?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By TransformerRobo

Poll Should Nintendo fire Satoru Iwata? (46 votes)

Yes 48%
No 52%

I think they should, because now it seems like he's not even trying to keep Nintendo going.

Just look at how horrible of a job he's doing at pushing the Wii U. It's even worse than what he did with the start of the 3DS.

Whenever Nintendo's next home console comes out, in the meantime, they need a new president who will do things right for a change.

• 
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#1 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Who is Nintendo going to place Iwata with? What are these "right things" that need to be done, and how does a new president manage to do these things in a way Iwata couldn't? Those two questions barely scratch the surface when it comes to making such an important decision that will no doubt influence the company, both present and future.

I've been as critical of the 3DS and Wii U as anyone, but I'm not so hasty as to say Iwata should be mercilessly shown the door. Heck, this is the same man that was also in charge when Nintendo had its two most successful platforms ever just a few short years ago. It's not as if his tenure has been a total disaster, and it's anything but a sure thing that a new face would mean a positive change for the company.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TransformerRobo
Member since 2011 • 549 Posts
@Madmangamer364 said:

Who is Nintendo going to place Iwata with? What are these "right things" that need to be done, and how does a new president manage to do these things in a way Iwata couldn't? Those two questions barely scratch the surface when it comes to making such an important decision that will no doubt influence the company, both present and future.

I've been as critical of the 3DS and Wii U as anyone, but I'm not so hasty as to say Iwata should be mercilessly shown the door. Heck, this is the same man that was also in charge when Nintendo had its two most successful platforms ever just a few short years ago. It's not as if his tenure has been a total disaster, and it's anything but a sure thing that a new face would mean a positive change for the company.

It's just that he's put the company's console development wing in dire risk, with his half-assed marketing of the Wii U, and the fact that he's not bringing out any new IPs or reviving abandoned ones (Star Fox says hello).

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I think people are over exaggerating and desperately need to point fingers at someone. Everyone seems to forget that Iwata is also responsible for the 3DS, which also had a rough first year, but is now completely dominating the market.

@Madmangamer364 said:

This.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

@TransformerRobo said:

the fact that he's not bringing out any new IPs

Monolith Soft's X says hi

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TransformerRobo

@ANIMEguy10034: Knowing Iwata he's gonna push it off into the trash can, just like with The Wonderful 101, all because it's not Mario or Pokemon.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Madmangamer364

@TransformerRobo said:

It's just that he's put the company's console development wing in dire risk, with his half-assed marketing of the Wii U, and the fact that he's not bringing out any new IPs or reviving abandoned ones (Star Fox says hello).

"Dire risk?" Have you seen what has taken place the past 10 years to the rest of the industry? Sure, the Wii U isn't in the best of shape right now when it comes to software support, but let's not act like it has left the company in a crippled state, either. The Wii U's marketing isn't that big of a deal, either. Frankly, the system didn't really have much to work with for its first year to market, so it's a lot of fuss over very little.

Lastly, you're totally off-base on your last point. Didn't Nintendo just release Wonderful 101 a few months ago? Look at how that fared... Nevertheless, Nintendo's releasing new IPs frequently, even if they aren't the headliner games that you're probably looking for. As for the "abandoned" IPs, like Star Fox, not only do they NOT warrant a change in president by any stretch of the imagination, but Star Fox was just released on the 3DS a couple of years ago or so.

Not exactly a convincing argument that Iwata needs to go... I could have named more legitimate reasons from the top of my head, even though I'm not bullish of the suggestion at the moment.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TransformerRobo

@Madmangamer364 said:

@TransformerRobo said:

"Dire risk?" Have you seen what has taken place the past 10 years to the rest of the industry? Sure, the Wii U isn't in the best of shape right now when it comes to software support, but let's not act like it has left the company in a crippled state, either. The Wii U's marketing isn't that big of a deal, either. Frankly, the system didn't really have much to work with for its first year to market, so it's a lot of fuss over very little.

Lastly, you're totally off-base on your last point. Didn't Nintendo just release Wonderful 101 a few months ago? Look at how that fared... Nevertheless, Nintendo's releasing new IPs frequently, even if they aren't the headliner games that you're probably looking for. As for the "abandoned" IPs, like Star Fox, not only do they NOT warrant a change in president by any stretch of the imagination, but Star Fox was just released on the 3DS a couple of years ago or so.

Not exactly a convincing argument that Iwata needs to go... I could have named more legitimate reasons from the top of my head, even though I'm not bullish of the suggestion at the moment.

Of course it had enough to work with. He could've spent all this time in the past 14 months advertising things like "You can play the all-new Wii U on your TV, and off your TV!", or "Say hello to Nintendo's first ever HD console!", or more importantly "Here's the newest Nintendo console. Wii U! It's how U will play next!".

Did we see any commercials like that until now? No, and this was with Iwata in charge.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@Madmangamer364 said:
this is the same man that was also in charge when Nintendo had its two most successful platforms ever just a few short years ago.

Iwata wasn't in charge of The Wii and the DS, those were already in place when he got the job

He's behind the Wii U (failure) and 3DS (failure now only bringing in 66% of every unit sold)

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

@Madmangamer364 said:
this is the same man that was also in charge when Nintendo had its two most successful platforms ever just a few short years ago.

Iwata wasn't in charge of The Wii and the DS, those were already in place when he got the job

He's behind the Wii U (failure) and 3DS (failure now only bringing in 66% of every unit sold)

where's the link that the wii was already in place? id like to read that.

about the ds....supposedly yamauchi was involved so ill give you that....

the 3ds is a success though. whether you like it or not. it just had a horrible 1st year.

iwata has resided over nintendos highest selling consoles....it'd be wrong to fire him just because of the wiiU(who's fate is still in the air).

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Madmangamer364

@TransformerRobo said:

Of course it had enough to work with. He could've spent all this time in the past 14 months advertising things like "You can play the all-new Wii U on your TV, and off your TV!", or "Say hello to Nintendo's first ever HD console!", or more importantly "Here's the newest Nintendo console. Wii U! It's how U will play next!".

Did we see any commercials like that until now? No, and this was with Iwata in charge.

Let me get this straight... you think Nintendo struggles with the Wii U to this point is because Nintendo hasn't made off-TV play and HD a bigger deal? The average household has more than one TV in its home, and a very large portion of them have TVs specifically for video game consoles. Off-TV play may be convenient for some, but it's not selling systems on its own. Neither is HD, which was an obvious addition to the system, as it has been a part of consoles for years now. I'm afraid you're gasping for straws right now.

Now, if your argument was about how flawed it was to build a modern-day console strictly with these two features as system-selling qualities, I would be on my way to maybe seeing your point. As it stands now, I just think your argument is getting weaker by even bringing those things up as points of emphasis that Nintendo should have marketed. It wouldn't have changed the lack of appealing software, price, or other more crucial flaws the Wii U has had to this point, and the system would still be struggling to maintain its relevance.

All and all, it's not something you fire a president over. Neither is StarFox or anything else that has been brought up to this point. I'm not saying what Nintendo should or shouldn't do with the actual situation, but if the decision is based on this thread, firing Iwata would be way too drastic of a move.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#11 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

Maybe he's not the person that people who want Nintendo to produce refreshingly new games would like.

Yet, I am not such a person - the person that I want as a corporate suit at Nintendo is Iwata. By far, he's the most humble suit that I know of - being the only one that I know in the gaming industry that willingly took a hit to his remuneration.

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

He should be fired for lying to investors alone.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/01/06/nintendo-is-going-to-miss-its-wii-u-target-by-at-l/

Can only hope he quits on his own and a new CEO keeps the Wii U going for a couple more years and releases a new console in Q4 2016.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Madmangamer364

@Jaysonguy said:

Iwata [supposedly] became president in 2002. Even if the DS and Wii weren't necessarily conceptions that were birthed under his tenure, he was still very much responsible for which direction they would go in. Heck, I would think the same could be said for the GameCube and GBA, albeit to a lesser degree.

No doubt Iwata has been hit-and-miss. Again, I've been critical and skeptical of Nintendo's direction for years now (to be exact, pretty much since E3 2010), but Nintendo has also seen some of its very best days with Iwata under the helm. Let's not vilify the guy as if he's done nothing right all of this time.

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

But a company has to adapt and see it all the time when companies don't. They will fall behind in the market and get crushed by the competition. The mobile market is an example with Nokia and then Blackberry. Problem for Nintendo they have this gen is mobile/tablet market is much larger so the competition isn't only MS and Sony. Consumers now want all in 1 devices than do many things so a console that only plays games isn't going to cut it. In a gaming perspective it also has problems especially with it's badly outdate online infrastructure, no good Iwata saying they cannot compete with MS and Sony in this area. They should be providing the best possible product they can.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

no iwata should not be fired.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4223 Posts

Who knows, but probably not. There are new IPs coming out, and also while the WiiU is not going any good by standards, the 3DS is doing very good.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

they should fire reggie

RealJaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 RealJaysonguy
Member since 2013 • 236 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

3DS (failure now only bringing in 66% of every unit sold)

The lawsuit sends something like five dollars for every system to the guy who won, certainly not 66%.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TransformerRobo

@Nintendo_Man said:

He should be fired for lying to investors alone.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/01/06/nintendo-is-going-to-miss-its-wii-u-target-by-at-l/

Can only hope he quits on his own and a new CEO keeps the Wii U going for a couple more years and releases a new console in Q4 2016.

I'd agree with you more if that article wasn't such garbage.

I now see that I was too hasty to say Iwata no longer deserves his job. As for the finger pointing someone mentioned earlier, I should've been pointing at the impact of mobile devices instead of Iwata's shortcomings.

No wonder Iwata has kept saying no to Nintendo games being on mobile devices. Besides, you can't put AAA titles on devices where your thumbs are constantly in the way of your screen. Angry Birds isn't AAA, it's just fun, inexpensive, and addictive. That's why having Nintendo games on mobile devices would devalue Nintendo IPs.

lilkarlh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lilkarlh666
Member since 2009 • 168 Posts

It would be extremely over harsh if they just fired Iwata. One thing i like about him and nintendo is there general honesty, they say sorry when things go wrong and openly admit there failure's something no president ever does.

The main problem with nintendo is there advertising. Nintendo offer something that the other's just don't but this never get's across it just get's seen as this is for kids (i follow games as my main hobby and even i thought this about both the wii u and 3ds). I bought a vita over the 3ds but oh how wrong was i to do that. I initially thought the 3ds would be aimed at kids, it is only recently i have took the plunge and got the 3ds, but it honestly has some of and if not the best line up of any console current and next gen has to offer. That alone is a clear sign Iwata knows what he is doing, how can a handheld offer better experiences than the so called big boy's of the console space. it's only my opinion i know but i no many who feel exactly the same.

The trouble i had with the 3ds is i had to physically go out and look at what it had to offer. something that no company should allow to happen.

With regards to the wii u, nintendo don't need third party support they have enough ip's under themselves, but the trouble is they don't have any plans at hand before the console comes out so end up with extremely long periods of nothing. They need the plan before release to show to the world, and basically say, we are here, we have this great console, but we have this excellent line up now and in the future, that no other can offer, but they don't.

The problem with nintendo isn't Iwata himself, it is the company as a whole and how they operate. I think the whole company needs to take a step back and restructure itself with a firm plan of action In hand and show it to us asap.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jaysonguy

@Madmangamer364 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Iwata [supposedly] became president in 2002. Even if the DS and Wii weren't necessarily conceptions that were birthed under his tenure, he was still very much responsible for which direction they would go in. Heck, I would think the same could be said for the GameCube and GBA, albeit to a lesser degree.

No doubt Iwata has been hit-and-miss. Again, I've been critical and skeptical of Nintendo's direction for years now (to be exact, pretty much since E3 2010), but Nintendo has also seen some of its very best days with Iwata under the helm. Let's not vilify the guy as if he's done nothing right all of this time.

Iwata finally took charge in 2008. That's when Yamauchi finally left completely and turned everything over to Iwata.

Iwata killed the Wii, made the abomination that is the Wii U, and the gimmicky 3DS

He's literally done nothing right

lilkarlh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lilkarlh666

@Jaysonguy: I totally agree about the wii, possibly the worst console in terms of software i have personally ever seen. The galaxy games were good but nothing else ever hit the mark for me.

I don't think the wii u is an abomination but to me it seems like it has a complete lack of inspiration. The whole concept is just taken from the ds and applying it to the home console. They can't expect to have two consoles sell well where one is basically copying the other. Further proof of this is 3d world. It may very well be a great game but where does it's inspiration come from, 3d land. It seems like they are just bringing out concept ideas on the 3ds and seeing if it sells well, then taking it further on the wii u. Why on earth do i want to buy two game's that are essentially cut straight from the same cloth so to speak.

The one where i don't agree with though is the 3ds. Yes 3d in itself may be a gimmick but there is no denying it is selling extremely well and has a great library so far. It has to be doing well for nintendo to copy it's games for there home console. The thing is with the 3ds is the choice. With the 2ds, it is now up to the consumer on how important it is to them, at least it isn't being forced, it's just a nice option to have.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TransformerRobo

Nintendo's not gonna stop making consoles just because they had a console that sold 100+ million units, and the one after it didn't work out so well.

Look at Sony. The PS3 did only more than half the PS2, but that didn't stop us from getting the PS4. The original Xbox sold peanuts compared to the Xbox 360.

Nintendo's next console just needs to be something drastically more unusual than the current one. However, all I could imagine was a console with holographic display and a controller that transforms into 2 different kinds of controllers.

lilkarlh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lilkarlh666

Personally i don't see why nintendo don't just drop the home console and concentrate on the handheld market with the option of tv play. The vita has proved that if done right, then the handhelds can produce home console like graphics.

They could certainly create a handheld capable of the graphics they need for their games, but just give us the option of hdmi out with decent upscaling to the tv. That way, all the ip's are there, and not being stretched over two consoles, and it saves them money in the long run.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jaysonguy

@TransformerRobo said:

Nintendo's not gonna stop making consoles just because they had a console that sold 100+ million units, and the one after it didn't work out so well.

Look at Sony. The PS3 did only more than half the PS2, but that didn't stop us from getting the PS4. The original Xbox sold peanuts compared to the Xbox 360.

Nintendo's next console just needs to be something drastically more unusual than the current one. However, all I could imagine was a console with holographic display and a controller that transforms into 2 different kinds of controllers.

You could not have used a worse argument.

The PS2 was one of the best selling pieces of tech in history. For the PS3 to even approach it's numbers was an overwhelming success.

Microsoft lost the rights to make the first Xbox, there was no doubt in anyone's mind that it's successor was going to sell more.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27  Edited By haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Firing Iwata won't do much, they need to rethink they're entire business strategy. Catering to the core market by making consoles on par with the competition doesn't work for Nintendo, see GameCube. Creating a console for the expanded audience might gain them millions of sales but those users don't buy much software, as seen with the Wii.

The Wii U really doesn't really click with the masses and it's not clicking with the core, so what you have are people who like Nintendo games who have already purchased it, and those who are intrigued but don't want to lay down $249 for a Wii U as a 'secondary' console. Creating new IPs alone won't do much, and as good as the Marios, Zeldas, Smash Bros are, those won't be enough to push units and to make the Wii U and interesting product.

I don't agree with Jason either. Even if the Wii and DS were already being thought up by Yamauchi and co., the product doesn't sell itself and even if Iwata had full control by 2008, it'd be unwise to assume that he had literally no say in anything up until that point.

Nintendo is in a weird situation where they're not sure which audience to go after and which audience even really cares about their products.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TransformerRobo

Well, what was at least one Nintendo game to attract hardcore gamers?

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
@TransformerRobo said:

They don't really have those games that appeal to the core users. They have games for Nintendo fans, but they don't really have anything to compete with what their competitors offer. Nintendo is not going to make a BioShock or a Last of Us. They can try but I don't think they'll be as good, and to be honest, it's probably a wasted effort.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TransformerRobo

Okay, would Nintendo be doing better catering to families like hey have been, or by catering to the core audience?

And how come you can't be a hardcore game unless you're randomly gory or have a depressing storyline where almost everyone dies?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

I'm pretty sure that we wouldn't be getting bayonetta 2 or wonderful 101, or any other future platinum games if it wasn't for him.

He may be out of touch with the market and technology, but he cares about games, being a developer himself.

I'm pretty sure that he and upper management are working on a vastly different strategy for their next generation anyways. Iwata isn't THE problem, but he has made certain things worse.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts
@TransformerRobo said:

Bayonetta. Probably going to be the best game this year.

Then there's X, if that turns out good.

Still not good comparing quantity, and they're taking forever, I grant.

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#33  Edited By REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

@TransformerRobo said:
@Madmangamer364 said:

He also brought it back from near death with Wii, though. It works both ways.

There's nothing wrong with Iwata, per se, he just turned from "innovative" to "play it safe" really fast, and it's a bit jarring. The really ironic thing about Wii U, is that by being innovative, they actually played it safe. Putting out an obviously underpowered console with a gimmick and a strange name is just ... well, it's so 2006.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TransformerRobo

That's why it should've been called something we could take seriously, like Nintendo Cosmos, or Nintendo Vortex. Even Nintendo Window couldn't possibly be as ridiculous as Wii U. Then again, why not just U? That name on it's own would've been fine, as long as they left out the Wii part.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

@TransformerRobo said:

Monolith says hi, not Iwata he's so old school and not hip with the times. He should be fired or at least demoted to an advisary role. Times are changing Nintendo can't afford to stay in the 90's forever. The fact Nintendo rarely ever makes new IPS. They say they take risks but what they're really doing is taking new ideas and going the safe route by using them in Mario and Zelda. They are playing it too safe. I know online multiplayer isn't always necessary but it should be an option. He thinks things work the same as they did in the 90 but it's not. People are busier than ever, hell even kids are probably too busy to play their games in the same room. He's just too afraid to embrace the ever more modernizing world. Nintendo could use some fresh blood who can understand the times.

And if you argue Wii was a success under him that was a fluke at best. Pandering to the casual market was a one time thing and they moved onto the newest hot device, they always do, they're technophiles. I could see the Wii U being more sucessful under better management. He could run the handheld market

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Just don't apologise again..if he apologise again..then he should just step down as CEO ..not fired but demoted. :P

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TransformerRobo

@Celsius765 said:

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

@TransformerRobo said:

Monolith says hi, not Iwata he's so old school and not hip with the times. He should be fired or at least demoted to an advisary role. Times are changing Nintendo can't afford to stay in the 90's forever. The fact Nintendo rarely ever makes new IPS. They say they take risks but what they're really doing is taking new ideas and going the safe route by using them in Mario and Zelda. They are playing it too safe. I know online multiplayer isn't always necessary but it should be an option. He thinks things work the same as they did in the 90 but it's not. People are busier than ever, hell even kids are probably too busy to play their games in the same room. He's just too afraid to embrace the ever more modernizing world. Nintendo could use some fresh blood who can understand the times.

And if you argue Wii was a success under him that was a fluke at best. Pandering to the casual market was a one time thing and they moved onto the newest hot device, they always do, they're technophiles. I could see the Wii U being more sucessful under better management. He could run the handheld market

Then why not tell Nintendo yourself? Here: Nintendo general comments and questions

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38  Edited By Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

@TransformerRobo said:

@Celsius765 said:

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

@TransformerRobo said:

Then why not tell Nintendo yourself? Here: Nintendo general comments and questions

I did that quite some time ago I forget which email address I used, but I do remember it was about 3d world's lack of online

pandora_wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 pandora_wizard
Member since 2008 • 56 Posts

I agree the Wii-U has an horrible impact, BUT Nintendo 3DS??? I think the 3DS is the most awesome portable system ever created to date.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TransformerRobo

@pandora_wizard said:

I agree the Wii-U has an horrible impact, BUT Nintendo 3DS??? I think the 3DS is the most awesome portable system ever created to date.

Yeah, I agree. It's just the Wii U with it's horrible name and underutilized hardware.

EDIT:

Well what do you know? Things are going Nintendo's way for once.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@TransformerRobo said:

@pandora_wizard said:

Yeah, I agree. It's just the Wii U with it's horrible name and underutilized hardware.

EDIT:

china will save the wiiU :P

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#42  Edited By REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

@pandora_wizard said:

I really don't like this "3DS is the best portable ever" narrative that's been floating around lately. Why? Because it's just not true. Are we forgetting that the DS had a gigantic library of solid titles by this point in its life cycle -- titles notably absent from the 3DS library, like Advance Wars, Castlevania (one that's actually good, anyway), Metroid Prime: Hunters, Kirby (Canvas Curse tops whatever uninventive Kirby title is about to release), The World Ends With You, etc. It's much too soon to coronate the 3DS as some untouchable platform that it's just not. A good one? Yes. Great? Maybe. But let's hold off on cementing its bourgeois status in the video-game world.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

@TransformerRobo said:

@pandora_wizard said:

EDIT:

china will save the wiiU :P

China will save everyone it seems..Ubi shares went up too..lol ..next we will hear Activsion, Capcom, Konami, Square Enix all go up..not EA tho..cause of BF4..hahaha... :p

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TransformerRobo

@superbuuman: Sarcasm much?

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#45 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

He's certainly had it rough since he started. Not all of Nintendo's problems are his fault, though. He's just a figurehead. How about we yell at the guys down in the idea department for the motion controls and gimmick marketing that been happening over the past 8 years.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TransformerRobo

@Shmiity: Okay, let's do that instead.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

IMO, they should at least demote him. They need someone who's not afraid to be creative, but at least is willing to TRY to compete with the competition. Iwata isn't afraid to try something new, but he's pretty much stated that he will not steer Nintendo the competitive route against Sony and Microsoft, which is why we are getting systems generation behind in terms of power, which is turning heads from higher end 3rd party dev studios (In terms of getting exclusives or CONSISTENTLY getting in on top multiplat projects like a GTA 5 or Elder Scroll games), and driving away their core fan base. Their goal for the Wii was to bring in casual gamers. One would think that they would take that success and build a system that will bring back the core fans that left them because of Wii, entice 3rd party devs to REALLY develop games for them (Make them REALLY feel like they are developing something truly next gen (Something that allows them to create new engines) and not a console that's pretty much comparable to 360 and PS3 with its primary differentiating feature being a tablet controller. The year head start could have potentially helped Nintendo with third party support if they developed a powerful enough console that really grabbed their attention from a gameplay and technical level), which should increase their user base more with them already having the casual crowd in their back pockets.

Instead, they make and market a console that leads many consumers into thinking its a different rendition of Wii by naming it "Wii U", made it partially more powerful than 360/PS3, and pretty much alienated even more of their core based fans. I get the feeling Wii U existence is just another attempt to cash in on the casual crowd rather than being a true Nintendo next gen console (Though, I'm aware that it is). If the Wii U was Iwata's idea and if he does have the final say-so when determining the final product of a newly released console, then I think its time for someone more competent to take control of the company...

pandora_wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 pandora_wizard
Member since 2008 • 56 Posts

@REVOLUTIONfreak said:

@pandora_wizard said:

I really don't like this "3DS is the best portable ever" narrative that's been floating around lately. Why? Because it's just not true. Are we forgetting that the DS had a gigantic library of solid titles by this point in its life cycle -- titles notably absent from the 3DS library, like Advance Wars, Castlevania (one that's actually good, anyway), Metroid Prime: Hunters, Kirby (Canvas Curse tops whatever uninventive Kirby title is about to release), The World Ends With You, etc. It's much too soon to coronate the 3DS as some untouchable platform that it's just not. A good one? Yes. Great? Maybe. But let's hold off on cementing its bourgeois status in the video-game world.

I agree with one specific part of your message: WE NEED MORE CASTLEVANIA GAMES! The one from the reboot is lame, where are the ones like Dawn of Sorrow? I would really like Konami to make a new one with adventure and RPG elements.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I voted yes.

Iwata should be fired (if Nintendo is not seen as successful) because his views on the market and Nintendo are solely responsible for where the Wii U is today.

Iwata believes that 3rd party developers are not a necessity and only serve to fluff the game catalog of console manufacturers. Therefore, there is no aggressive effort in getting 3rd parties to develop on Wii U.

Iwata believes multi-platform games are not good. He wants Nintendo to have as much unique software as possible in order to draw customers to them. He doesn't really want multi-platform games on his console, it doesn't distinguish Nintendo from the rest. This, again, tells me that he does not care to make sure the Wii U has the largest and most varied library it could have.

Iwata does not understand the western culture and it's interest in more mature specific themes. He does not believe in creating something for 20 year olds and over. He wants to create software the entire family can enjoy. This ensures Nintendo's own games will never go anywhere really new, keeping franchises stale.

Check out this thread http://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/the-struggles-of-wii-u-development-31024011/#15

It has a link to this article, which explains the experience an anonymous developer had getting a launch game ready for the Wii U. It is a long read, but very interesting.

Then there's this other article which chronicles the development and lifespan of the Gamecube. Now, this is a very long article, but its where I got my understanding about the way Nintendo and Iwata think.

Sadly, I don't know what this makes me, but I really still love Nintendo's games. I think I'm only upset because I'd love it if I could get all my gaming just from a Nintendo console. Instead, I know its a supplemental one. And that kinda stinks.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

No, not yet. In my opinion he deserves at least 2014 to turn things around. If Nintendo is still in the same place 01/2015 probably would have to say yes then.