should i give Gamespot another chance after the Wii era?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gudni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gudni
Member since 2003 • 106 Posts

I became a Gamespot member in 2003 and i liked this site all the way until i got myself the Wii. That's when it started to become unbearable to read both reviews and comments because Gamespot started to become the place to be if your into trolling Nintendo stuff and Nintendo fans could never have a fun discussion about a game without somebody accusing them of being stupid fanboys for liking what they like. But the worst part was that there was also nobody working at Gamespot at that time that understood and liked the Wii for what it was.

My two major gripes with Gamespot during the Wii era.

1.Every review became a discussion of how that game would be if it was on a more powerful system, and i just did not care because i had and liked the Wii and just wanted to know if the game was doing a good job at utilizing the Wii's hardware and not the fantasy hardware of the future or another brands hardware.

2.When motion controls were in its infancy and developers had a hard time learning what worked and what did not, many gamers gave up and did not have the patience to take part in this and just decided they would just call it stupid and ride that train to the end, and i did not care until they started effecting Gamespot staff. And nowhere is that as clear as in the Skyward sword review were the reviewer gave the game a lower score because he did not "understand" the controls. This was a huge issue on the web and Gamespot got a lot of flak for that. But people only noticed because it was Zelda. I had been witnessing this with many other games before and Zelda was just the last straw for me.

This is the first time i open Gamespot since 2011 and i would like to know from Nintendo gamers. Is the Wii U getting the respect it deserves as the awesome console it is from Gamespot or are they again stuck in a "what if Nintendo was more like the others" type of thinking?

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Well Bayonetta 2 just got a 10/10, if that means anything. But usually, I feel the stigma still exists. I don't use Gamespot for my source of news or entertainment, especially for Nintendo stuff. I'm here just for the forums/community.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Meh, don't worry so much about review scores. Do your research on games based on multiple sites, gameplay vids, user discussion, etc.

For news and announcements, all the main sites are about the same IMO.

I come here for the community, especially the Nintendo community. The main-stays here are really nice and it's fun to discuss all gaming with them.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

No. Almost the entire staff of GS has admitted that they don't own a Wii U or care to. Tom McShea before he got laid off admitted he didn't own a Wii U even though he was supposed to be the big Nintendo fan. And although Mark Walton gave the Bayo 2 review the review it deserved, he also gave DKCTF a 6. And believe it or not the hatred against Nintendo is stronger now than ever. At least when Wii U was getting crushed, most would leave you alone because of pity. But now that Wii U is recognized as a threat they usually get it from both sides.

Some of it is starting to fade with each fanatic trying it out and realizing its not that bad. But not as much as it should be at this point.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Gamers are passionate about the games they like, and don't like, and you're never going to find people that agree with you 100% on anything, where their opinions might fall in line with yours on one end you might find they'll upset you in their other views. Best you can do is be honest with yourself and others in a place like this and lay it out there on the table. If you like what you like defend it, don't tuck tail and run; that's spineless. Accept the fact that people aren't going to agree with you and be contrary and adverse about the things you like. There's a contentious atmosphere but we revel in it, and I'm glad people have different opinions and views even if I don't agree with it, because some times seeing what people have to say has its benefits.

Come here for the community, not the staff. Spending time in the forums people get their news from all over and share it with others on the boards. The content we provide each other there is far more stimulating than the stuff that shows up on the front page. Besides, if you just run from a site to protest the content, you might as well just not come on the internet about anything.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

@trugs26 said:

Well Bayonetta 2 just got a 10/10, if that means anything. But usually, I feel the stigma still exists. I don't use Gamespot for my source of news or entertainment, especially for Nintendo stuff. I'm here just for the forums/community.

Is it good?

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

No they've been fairly mediocre news wise on GS.In the past couple of months sure they've been reporting on content coming to wii u. But before E3 they were quick to report on every game skipping wii u and at the end of articles always taking jabs at wii u by reminding us how poorly it's selling. Their why you should buy a wii u video was just as horrible. My advise to you is go to wiiudaily, nintendolife or nintendoenthusiast. Those guys report on everything they can about content coming to wii u.

joe_b1_kenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 joe_b1_kenobi
Member since 2007 • 849 Posts

Gamespot shows like "the lobby" are always taking pot shots at nintendo. Getting titles and information on games wrong on purpose to try and make the wiiU seem irrelevant. At least ign has some actual Nintendo fans and are more professional all round.

big_mak523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 big_mak523
Member since 2011 • 210 Posts

This site is as Anti-Nintendo as ever. There have been a few highlights, like Bayonetta 2 getting a 10, and A link between Worlds winning game of the year. But overall, if you are a Nintendo fan, I wouldn't take most of their reviews seriously.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

?? eh don't take things too seriously...if staff posted article you don't like..don't click. Just here mainly for forums...reviews & news..but its not the only source. :P

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Gamestop and Gamespot are as "iffy" as ever when it comes to Nintendo. Nintendo during the Gamecube, Wii and Wii U era has not had the best time of it. In regards to the media "Gamespot" has been less than neutral towards Nintendo. Gamestop is supposed to be awful as is EA, Ubisoft and others toward Nintendo.

So should you give Gamespot another chance? It is up to you. But they are "iffy" at best. At least Pachter is honest than he is not fond of Nintendo. But Gamespot is supposed to be more balanced. And Neutral

Nintendo did make a lot of mistakes with the Wii U. In defence of the Videogame media. So flip a coin and chance it. With a Second chance for Gamespot.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

@trugs26 said:

Super Mario Galaxy 2, a Wii game, got a 10 here as well.

A lot of the Nintendo hate is complicated. Mostly from the community itself and Nintendo's lack of "mature" gamer appeal. Sure, better hardware is always best, but Nintendo tends to think outside normal western gaming conventions, choosing to make their consoles more affordable and innovative in how we interact with said games. Not everything decision they make is spot-on, but do we really need THREE consoles evolving in the same exact way? I would hope never. :)

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts

I heavily disagree with some of their reviews- like TLoZ: Skyward Sword- but have never used the site for much other than the message board. Still I'll check their Nintendo section every now and then. 8 seems a bit low for Mario Kart 8, but 6 for DKC: Tropical Freeze sounds like straight propaganda aha I haven't read that review actually. I love Tropical Freeze though, Retro knocked it out of the park again in my opinion.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Ehhh Gamespot is still fairly Anti Nintendo...I come on here maybe once every few weeks.....Also Jasonguy is an issue lol. Gamespot did give Bayo 2 a good review and gave A Link Between worlds their GOTY last year, but overall they still aren't very Nintendo friendly.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Who cares what a reviewer gives a game? They are very rarely accurate, especially when RichStorySkyrim got extremely high ratings when it was released as a buggy turd (It still is).

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

yes you should.