Should I get a wii u or wait for the NX

skierguy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By skierguy12

Poll Should I get a wii u or wait for the NX (70 votes)

Wait for the NX 51%
Buy the wii u 49%

I have decided to buy a new Nintendo device and decided on a wii u, until I heard about the NX, Nintendo claims it will not replace the wii u but the same thing happened with the ds and, this was before the presidents death

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#1  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Nintendo systems never truly replace each other, its word play. NX will most likely run Wii U games, but the NX wont be announced until June 2016, after that we might get a release for Christmas 2016 or 2017. So will be a good wait, plus the games will most likely be few as with all new systems. Also waiting to buy Wii U games then may not be such a good ideal as some Nintendo games are already getting rare and starting to cost a lot because of poor game sales. Nintendo can fix this by making available online, but will most likely not fix in physical form. If you have waited this long to buy a Nintendo console and still are not sure whither you want one, then would seem buying a launch system would be a very bad ideal in my opinion.

I think you have to ask yourself, why do you want an NX? What are you looking for that in not already on Wii U? Also, if money is the problem, you can check into a used Wii U for $200, or a used Wii U with Mario 3D World for $225. Waiting could most likely be a bad thing vs being a good thing for various reasons.

If you fear what NX might do, maybe a N3DS would be better suited, but again, Nintendo handhelds are the scariest since they release new versions bout every 2 years. Best way to buy Nintendo consoles is when you have a good ideal of what games you like. For me it was kinda easy, i saw a bunch of games i wanted and a bunch i wanted to try so i just waited for Black Friday and bought one. I also bought a 3DS on Black Friday and will try to get a N3DS this Black Friday. I like buying stuff on sale a lot. Spaltoon and Pikmin 3 were the only games i bought at full price.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Wii U is a dead console, if you want to pay a premium to have a console that will be cold in a year go for it.

Or you could wait a year and see what the NX is and if it's worth getting.

Just know that like every other time Nintendo wont support last gen hardware at all.

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

You have time to wait for the NX? You could be playing great games in the meantime. Refurbished Wii U $235 on Nintendo site. Nintendo Land and Windwaker HD included.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
@Jaysonguy said:

Wii U is a dead console, if you want to pay a premium to have a console that will be cold in a year go for it.

Just know that like every other time Nintendo wont support last gen hardware at all.

Have to agree with this. Wii U has what, 3 games to pick up this year? Mario Maker, Xenoblade and maybe Star Fox (though I'm personally still not sold on Star Fox), and there's only a small handful of Wii U titles that are currently out that are must plays, been Mario 3D Land, Pikmin 3, DKC: Tropical Freeze, and Captain Toad.

We also don't know the fate of Zelda U, but if the rumors of a 2016 release for the NX are true, it's likely that it'll be an NX launch title as well as a Wii U title, much like what happened with Twilight Princess.

When I look at everything else I'd say is worth playing, Wind Waker is also on GameCube, Smash is on 3DS and the series will move to NX one day, Mario Kart series will also appear on NX at some point, and Hyrule Warriors is coming to 3DS with extra content.

And that's it. This long into the Wii U's life and there are only 9 titles currently out that I'd consider "must buys", and only 4 potential ones coming in the future.

Both Reggie and, before his passing, Iwata, stated that they needed to have a much better launch for the NX in terms of both the quality and quantity of games they launch with, than what both Wii U and 3DS had. How much Iwata's death will effect the NX, and Nintendo as a whole, remains to be seen, but for right now I honestly think waiting to see what the NX is will be the best option.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Gotta agree, if you haven't bought it by now..then really might as well wait & see...you're not losing much by waiting. :P

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

Wait, the U has some excellent games but the system is a dead end.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

We don't really know what the NX is going to be. The NX might be something like the Alienware Steam Machine that doesn't have a hard disk drive, but instead you buy digital games from a Nintendo website. This could explain why Nintendo said they are not going to drop support for the Wii U or 3DS anytime soon. The Wii U and 3DS might be compatible with NX if what I am thinking is true. This is just my guess based on statements Nintendo has made, and looking at trends in the industry.

If my guess is correct then it is not really taking a risky chance to buy the Wii U or 3DS. I will speak about the Wii U because I own one. With the Wii U you can still buy physical copies of many great games that you would be able to play later even when support for the console stops (except the on-line gaming). And with the great success that Nintendo is having with Splatoon right now, it just does not seem like they would pull the plug on that game for at least the next 2 years.

Some reasons to buy a Wii U are: the other consoles do not have a Gamepad, Amiibo, Nintendo exclusives, Nintendo e-Shop games, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. Wii U, Splatoon, New Super Mario Bros. U, Super Mario 3D World, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (I don't own it yet) Yoshi's Woolly World (not released yet), Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (I don't own it yet), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Mighty No. 9 (not released yet), Rayman Legends (I don't own it yet), Pikmin 3 (I don't own it yet), Legend of Kay Anniversary (I don't own it yet), The Legend of Zelda Wii U (not released yet), Snoopy's Grand Adventure Wii U (not released yet), Star Fox Zero (not released yet), Super Mario Maker (not released yet), and Xenoblade Chronicles X (not released yet).

So as you can see there are at least 7 quality games that are not released yet and many more that are already released. Watch some YouTube videos of games your interested in, and ask yourself if you would enjoy playing that game yourself. There are at least 100 disk games available for the Wii U at this time.

Lastly, you could always trade your Wii U in for credit when the NX comes out after you have enjoyed the Wii U for a period of time.

skierguy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 skierguy12
Member since 2015 • 10 Posts

I'm a big fan of the price and Id like to get quite a few of the games mainly Zelda titles my main concern is if the NX will replace it

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

No reason not to wait for some price drops at this point unless you're dying to play something on Wii U. And if you're waiting for Zelda I have a feeling that will be on the NX as well as Wii U.

And when does a new system not replace the previous one?

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#10 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Wait and see if the NX is backwards compatible. If it is, don't bother with the Wii U at all. If not, you have to decide whether its current library and known future releases are worth it because what you see is pretty much what you get at this point.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

wait for the nx.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

I'd wait for the NX.... but depends if you want to play nintendo games right now. I would imagine there will be a lot of backwards compatibility between Wii U and NX, so you probably won't be completely out if you get a Wii U.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

If you see the current Wii U library as something you want to play, go for it. However keep in mind the console support from Nintendo had been very low this entire year and after their E-3 2015 I haven't seen anything that would make me personally spend 300$+

I would wait and see what NX is exactly.

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SamusBeliskner
Member since 2015 • 569 Posts

You should buy a refurbed WiiU online from Nintendo, play the hell out of it until you have played everything you want, then upgrade in the future to the NX, if it does well. There's no point in buying a console until it's been on the market for at least a year.

SirHobgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SirHobgoblin
Member since 2015 • 11 Posts

You can always wait for the next best thing....but then you'll always be waiting.

I now own all three consoles from this generation....and the Wii U gets the majority of my time recently. Splatoon is great fun, and a lot of the games can be played on the couch with my wife...which is a rare thing on the other consoles.

I love games like the witcher, bloodborne, etc...but I only play those by myself at night when my wife is asleep or busy....thus the wii get its use when we want to spend time together. That is its greatest appeal for me.

That being said...splatoon is not a couch co-op (not really)...but it is fun enough that we just take turns. The game is just great.

seany9990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 seany9990
Member since 2015 • 50 Posts

Buy the Wii U. It has all your favourite characters (except link and samus) in their best games to date. Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros and Splatoon can each individually sell this console. Just because it's fading out doesn't mean the games aren't great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FPHf_n6ePA

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By The_Funyarinpa
Member since 2015 • 504 Posts

If you have a 3ds I would wait for an announcement at least as to what the nx will be because there is a lot of overlap on the essential games that are on the wii u. If you dont have a 3ds and want to play a new mario kart or a smash bros it might be worth to switch cause I dont imagine they would be ported, but who knows maybe backwards compatibility? Another thing you can check is Nintendo does referbs of the wii u which can be at a pretty decent price point

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts
@seany9990 said:

Buy the Wii U. It has all your favourite characters (except link and samus) in their best games to date. Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros and Splatoon can each individually sell this console. Just because it's fading out doesn't mean the games aren't great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FPHf_n6ePA

I am glad you are here and that you made an account. I agree with your post 100%. Good insightful video blog.

seany9990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 seany9990
Member since 2015 • 50 Posts

@Collie_Lover: Thanks so much Collie! Please do subscribe!

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 chriscoolguy
Member since 2011 • 729 Posts

Now that Dragon Quest is coming out for 3DS/NX and not WiiU. I think this is a bad sign. I personally wouldn't get a WiiU now unless there is a nice price drop.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

I'd wait. If the NX really is launching next year. I almost guarantee, we will be seeing Definitive Editions of Smash 4 and at least Splatoon.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chriscoolguy
Member since 2011 • 729 Posts

For me it comes down to price. For a system that we all know isn't getting many more games, and the outdated graphics, I don't think it should be a penny over $200.

Kristaok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kristaok
Member since 2015 • 69 Posts

I would wait, In fact I'd get a ps3 or ps4... Just stick to the Wii at least it had some good games, the WiiU sadly has nothing, and at this point will always have nothing. I'm being hopeful for the next Nintendo console, but after getting my hopes up on the WiiU its truly hard to be excited over the next one.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#24 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Life is short and some games are mean to be played now, not later.

Buy the Wii U and get as much fun out of it you can. Then when the new console arrives, work late, save money, do whatever you have to do and buy that one too!

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Nintendo4evar
Member since 2016 • 197 Posts

@kristaok: You just hate on everything Wii U. Pretty much all gamers even those who don't care about the Wii U agree that the Wii U is 10x better then the Wii.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

@nintendo4evar: Yeah, no. I have both, the Wii had a much better overall library.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

Wait until there's some more information.

That said, there's a lot of people who wait until the end of a console's life to buy it along with all the top games that came out on it. The console is cheaper that way and you know exactly what you're buying into. I did this for the DS and bought a bunch of top tier used games on the super cheap. If you're one of those people, yeah buy the machine.

My late-stage DS purchase convinced me to buy the 3DS within a month of launch and it came with full backward compatibility, so I could have avoided buying the DS if I had waited, and still have access to the huge DS library. We don't know if the NX will be backward compatible, which is why I say wait until there's more information. It may be a 6 month wait.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Nintendo4evar

@WreckEm711: I played both and own the Wii U who's also a Wii and the Wii U is definitely better. Every game that's on Wii is better on NES-Wii U excluding the Wii. like for exemple Sm4sh>Melee>Brawl.

ocphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ocphon
Member since 2006 • 184 Posts

Wait.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

@nintendo4evar: Like I said, overall library. Wii had the most highly rated exclusives of any console last generation and still leads compared to this generation. If you didn't like them personally that's another matter, but the overall library was stronger than the Wii U, despite, yes, I would agree some of the Nintendo exclusives are better on Wii U than on Wii. If the Wii U hadn't tanked out of the gate it could have easily passed it, but with it's short lifespan I don't see it happening.

Nintendo4evar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nintendo4evar

@WreckEm711: In 3 years Wii U got better games then the Wii in 6 years case close. JK. But why does everyone block old threads?

Zenobius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zenobius
Member since 2016 • 56 Posts

@kristaok: The Wii U has "Nothing" ? .... Please explain... We are all ears ? .

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

This thread is over two months old. It needs to be locked.