Should I get a 2DS or a 3DS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

So with Pokemon X and Y coming out soon, and me being a big Pokemon fan, I feel tempted to finally take that plunge and buy a 3DS. With that I have a few of questions.

Is the 3DS worth buying, for someone like me? (Keep in mind I am not big on handhelds like I used to be. I find myself focusing all my time and money on my consoles. The last handheld I bought was the PSP, and I only have 2 games for it. I rarely used it either, even with its large library of games).

Second, if I'm certain I want one, should I get a 2DS when it's release? Or should I just get 3DS? Do you think the 2DS' lower price is a better selling point over the 3DS? Or is there something beneficial over the 2DS that the 3DS has?

Thanks.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
The 2DS has absolutely nothing that the 3DS doesn't, other than a screen that doesn't fold up to protect from scratches. It's also not significantly cheaper than the base 3DS, which makes it a poor buy for anyone. That and it's kind of ugly, if that sort of thing bothers you. I mean, no revision of the 3DS is particularly good looking (especially the original three tier multicolour sandwich 3DS) but the 2DS is hideous.
freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#3 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts
Depends, do you want 3d? If you do 3ds is the the one you should get. If you think you are not going to use the 3d feature, then get the 2ds Also remember that the 2ds will not fit in your pocket since its not foldable like the 3ds
A-Typing-Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4 A-Typing-Llama
Member since 2013 • 26 Posts

Hi, 

I recently bought the 3DS and am happy I did so. The 3DS is smaller and more compact with it's flip open screen, and offers a bit more protection from scratches. If your worried about feeling dizzy or younger children playing on the 3DS, you can always adjust the slider of the 3D effect all the way down to decrease the intensity.

At the end of the day it all comes down to what you can afford. I went with the 3DS XL model, because I wanted to cover all bases and make sure I wasn't missing out on any features. I thought if I went with the 2DS, I'd probably end up regretting it later on down the track. I also felt the 2DS looked a bit bulky and childish.

mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts
3DSXL has better battery life than 2DS. Not as good as a standard 3DS with the extended battery, but still pretty good. XL ergonomics are better than 3DS too with nice smooth edges.
Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts
3DSXL has better battery life than 2DS. Not as good as a standard 3DS with the extended battery, but still pretty good. XL ergonomics are better than 3DS too with nice smooth edges.mbrockway
speaking of which i believe in posted a video on how it felt a little unpleasant in the hands, i would wait till you can hold one in the store before takin the plunge. imo the XL is the best one to get
RatedSTARZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7 RatedSTARZ
Member since 2013 • 400 Posts

I think you'd do good witha a standard 3ds. It's smaller, more compact, and easier to carry around with you :)

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

It should be mentioned that the 2DS seems to target the younger demographics and their price-conscious parents due to the low price. Interesting that it will be released on the same day as Pokemon X & Y.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

I think it comes down to price and portability. If you see yourself taking the system with you a lot I'd recommend the standard 3DS. But yeah, the 2DS doesn't really have any advantages over the 3DS except for it's price, and you can always pick up a used 3DS. 

Ravenous_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ravenous_Joker
Member since 2013 • 297 Posts
Get the 3DS, the 2DS would be a waste of money.
jrorl63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jrorl63
Member since 2003 • 723 Posts
Im looking at getting a 3DS XL mostly because the last pokemon game i played was fire red on the good ole gameboy

It should be mentioned that the 2DS seems to target the younger demographics and their price-conscious parents due to the low price. Interesting that it will be released on the same day as Pokemon X & Y.

thom_maytees
The new pokemon games also happen to be the first in 3D, go figure lol
AzureDrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AzureDrive
Member since 2011 • 56 Posts
Get a 3DSXL the larger is worth it, not to mention the better battery life.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

if you hate 3d then the 2ds might be a better choice. i have a feeling the 2d will look clearer on the 2ds because its will use a standard lcd screen instead of the 3d one on the 3ds.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#15 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Go with a 3ds. Even if you don't want 3d features, the fact that it closes and makes its self more compact is really useful.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts
I must be one of the few that like the 2ds design.. i would gotten one if i dint have a 3ds already
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
If Im only playing it at home a 2DS would be fine ya? (Hate 3D as well, obviously)
XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts
I suggest you look into doing stuff with that PSP
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Sounds like you only want to play Pokemon (and maybe only a few other games). May as well get the cheaper option - the 2DS.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#20 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

If it's pure money, then get 2DS. Otherwise I'd say just get the 3DS, as it's much more portable.  At the very least, you'd be able to comfortably transport Pokemon around.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

3DSXL portable or not...people that have gone from the original 3DS have said it is much better...Im thinking of doing the same..move from original to XL.

helixera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 helixera
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I vote 2ds , that 3d feature was annoying for me anyway
RasAlgethi28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RasAlgethi28
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

3ds if you have the budget. Can't go wrong with the full experience. 

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

The 3D effect is what it comes down to. Some people dont ever use it. Then there is people like me, who NEVER HAVE IT OFF lol. The 3DS is only $30 or so more, unless your a kid then get the 3DS. Cause the 2DS was made for kids since the 3D could damage their eyes. If your older then 13 get the 3DS I say.

So if you got a job and the money get the 3DS. Also get a REGULAR 3DS not the XL, while the XL has better battery life by like 1 or 2 hours, it stretches the game image and you can get a pixely screen.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#25 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Then there is people like me, who NEVER HAVE IT OFF lol.

Master_Of_Fools
I never have it off either, unless I have a migraine or something. Let's be honest, the 3DS has pretty awful graphics, all told, and the screens are insanely low resolution. It needs all the gimmick it can get, and the 3D provides a nice boost to the graphics by giving them a bit of pop. In 2D mode it's just 400x240 pixels of flat blockiness.
Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm still debating on whether to get one of the handhelds at all, but if I do plain on getting one it sounds like the 3DS XL is the right choice.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
2DS is fine I think, I usually have 3D on for most games, but they are not required for the most part. If you are just playing Pokemon, 2DS is fine I think. However, I will say this: don't play Super Mario 3D Land with 2DS. That game is specifically designed for having 3D on. It's not that it's an aesthetic addition (it does look good with it though), but some of the levels are designed with 3D in mind, and it can get really confusing without the 3D.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
[QUOTE="Master_Of_Fools"]

Then there is people like me, who NEVER HAVE IT OFF lol.

DJ_Lae
I never have it off either, unless I have a migraine or something. Let's be honest, the 3DS has pretty awful graphics, all told, and the screens are insanely low resolution. It needs all the gimmick it can get, and the 3D provides a nice boost to the graphics by giving them a bit of pop. In 2D mode it's just 400x240 pixels of flat blockiness.

I usually never turn it off either (unless I have my glasses off, in which case I need to play it closer to my eyes, and that screws up the 3D effect), but for Tales of the Abyss I actually have it off. It's better-looking that way for some reason.
Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts
Get a 3DSXL the larger is worth it, not to mention the better battery life.AzureDrive
Pretty much what I'm thinking about doing. I figured it would either be Pokemon X / Y, or the new Smash Bros. that'd get me to buy a 3DS.