Retro Grand Prix Cup Races?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by lucasbart (25 posts) -
I am on this forum for my 6 year old. He is trying to unlock bowser jr. on mario kart wii? We have read that you have to earn at least a one star ranking in each 100cc Retro Grand Prix cup races. Can anyone simplify this for an illiterate user? If it would help, his last character he unlocked was dry bones. I just watched him get 1st place in all four races in the 100cc and he didn't get to unlock anything so he was upset. If anyone could help, you would make a 6 year old very happy. I am just unsure what the "retro grand prix races" are and where they come into the game! Thanks!!
#2 Posted by moltenix (2487 posts) -
The Retro Grand Prix tracks are the Shell Cup, Banana Cup, Leaf Cup, and Lightning Cup. Basically, the retro tracks are those that were imported from previous versions of Mario Kart.
#3 Posted by lucasbart (25 posts) -
Thank you so much for your quick reply. He is back on the wii already! We will give it a try!!
#4 Posted by DDRMom (1360 posts) -
What was your son's grade when he finished the grand prix? To get a star he has to win all races with a bit of a lead. It's frustrating but he will get it if he keeps trying.
#5 Posted by lucasbart (25 posts) -
What does a "one star ranking" mean? My son just got 1st in three races and 3rd (right at the finish) in the 4th and I noticed it had a "B" ranking. Does this have anything to do with the "one star ranking"? Does he have to get 1st place in all 4 races and all 4 cups to unlock bowser jr.? Thanks!
#6 Posted by sicteliko (479 posts) -
What does a "one star ranking" mean? My son just got 1st in three races and 3rd (right at the finish) in the 4th and I noticed it had a "B" ranking. Does this have anything to do with the "one star ranking"? Does he have to get 1st place in all 4 races and all 4 cups to unlock bowser jr.? Thanks!lucasbart
I'm not really sure when you will get a star ranking, but usually winning all 4 races will do. Maybe the total time is a criterium too, I don't know.
#7 Posted by DDRMom (1360 posts) -
I'm pretty sure that he must win all the races in order to get a star.
#8 Posted by Wolblade (986 posts) -

What does a "one star ranking" mean? My son just got 1st in three races and 3rd (right at the finish) in the 4th and I noticed it had a "B" ranking. Does this have anything to do with the "one star ranking"? Does he have to get 1st place in all 4 races and all 4 cups to unlock bowser jr.? Thanks!lucasbart

Yes, the rating at the end of the different cups is based upon your performance during the race. Things such as what place you finish, your time, etc all count towards this grade. So, he needs to try to get a "one star ranking" on each of the cups. If he does this, he should unlock Bowser Jr. based upon your description of the goal. Good luck to him!