Ranking A Link Between Worlds

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AVIS93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 AVIS93
Member since 2009 • 341 Posts

I just finished my playthrough of A Link Between Worlds, getting all possible upgrades and heart pieces, and I really liked the game. It felt like a homage to A Link to the Past and the classic style of 2D Zelda games, while at the same time it felt refreshing. I enjoyed the freedom to tackle the dungeons in any order I wished and the sense of exploration that came with it. I would add as well that the soundtrack in this game quickly became one of my favorites in the franchise.

With that said, I'm having some issues ranking this game with the other entries in the Zelda series. How do you feel this one compares to other games, especially Skyward Sword, given it is the most recent entry besides this one? What does A Link Between Worlds do better and worse?

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Difficult to compare with Skyward Sword, because ALBW does better and worse in aspects that overall better the handheld experience. For example, how it has short dungeons can be seen as a bad thing, but it's somewhat nice in the context of being handheld, where it's ideal for it to be easy to pick up and play in short bursts. This also goes for the storyline, where ALBW can be seen as quite light on story, but this also suits the handheld platform. I think easier comparisons are either handheld or other 2D Zelda games.

I'll have to think about it some more when it comes to ranking them all though.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

It's pretty difficult to compare the two, but a member made a thread saying that A Link Between Worlds is a better game, but Skyward Sword is a better experience. I completely agreed.

A Link Between World does many things right. The pacing is quick and to the point, no filler, no hand-holding, lots to explore, has an amazing soundtrack, and introduced two very awesome gameplay mechanics: renting items and merging into walls. The story was not too spectacular (except for the ending) and the dungeons were a bit too short and/or easy (it's a handheld Zelda so I'll let it slide), but that's where Skyward Sword shined the most. Skyward Sword had a great origin story, was cinematic, and had one of the best dungeons and bosses in Zelda history. However, Skyward Sword suffered from issues that are not present in A Link Between Worlds. I personally loved Skyward Sword, but I'm not afraid to say that it's a flawed game. This flawed game does have some epic moments that rivals the epic moments from previous Zelda games. Its better moments made Skyward Sword more memorable than A Link Between Worlds despite the fact that A Link Between Worlds' quality consistency is much more stable.

Avatar image for deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83
deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83
Member since 2013 • 82 Posts

My personal rankings as a Zelda fanatic since 1985.....

Masterpiece:

1. Majora's Mask

2. A Link to the Past

3. Ocarina of Time

4. Oracle Series

Almost Perfect:

5. A Link Between Worlds

6. Link's Awakening

7. The Legend of Zelda (original)

The Lovable Bastard:

8. The Adventures of Link

Almost Great:

9. The Minish Cap

10. Twilight Princess

In an Odd Place:

11. Skyward Sword

Not Worthy of the Zelda Name:

12. Wind Waker

13. Spirit Tracks

14. Phantom Hourglass

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By trugs26

@am_h8ter_ade said:

Not Worthy of the Zelda Name:

12. Wind Waker

I was looking at your list and agreeing for the most part, until I read this. I totally disagree and put it up in the masterpiece section, or at least near perfect.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83

@trugs26: Wind Waker did a lot of things right. I think it has the best graphics and art style of the series, the dungeons were pretty damn good, and it perfected the N64 Zelda's combat system. However, the very large ocean I found to be lifeless and boring. I can remember setting sail, putting the controller down and going get a snack cause it was going to be awhile until I reached my destination. And the chart/triforce fetch at the end of the game was just unforgivable to me. A complete deal breaker. The worst design decision in Zelda history. Seems to me it was filler for a rushed game to try to save the struggling Gamecube.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 trugs26

@am_h8ter_ade: Fair enough. That makes sense. Personally, I loved setting sail in the open sea. A lot of people have a problem with the fetch quest, but personally I can't remember it bothering me (nor do I remember it being enjoyable). I was somewhat neutral to the fetch quest.

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

It wasn't easy because it's a handheld Zelda (GBC games were way more challenging), but because Nintendo is aiming to appeal a larger audience (casuals) with every new release, in my opinion. Still I have to say A Link between Worlds is an awesome and a perfectly made game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83

@trugs26: I know a lot of people adore Wind Waker. Overall It wasn't a bad game. None of the Zelda games are bad games. However, I think about what could have been for Wind Waker and it makes me sad. Imagine an ocean that is alive and dynamic. Imagine a life-like weather system that creates huge storms resulting in having to fight giant waves. Imagine an improved combat system where you don't have to come to a complete stop just to fire your cannon. Something a tad more similar to the boat combat of Assasins Creed 4. Finally, a couple more dungeons (there were a couple cut from the game). Small modifications would have made Wind Waker simply amazing.

AVIS93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AVIS93

@ANIMEguy10034: That's a very, very good point. Skyward Sword is more memorable, indeed, but I've been thinking about it quite a lot and I do feel that A Link Between Worlds is in fact a better game, as you mention. A Link Between Worlds had almost no annoyances, while in Skyward Sword I dealt with an empty and boring overworld and a very annoying sidekick. Still, Skyward Sword is a very deep game with intelligent designs through it. I wonder now, which of the two games presented the mechanics and design that you would love to see continued in the next installments?

AVIS93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AVIS93

@am_h8ter_ade: I was surprised as well, while reading your list, to see Wind Waker in that position. I loved that game and it is my third favorite Zelda game, but I definitely see your point, it could definitely be better and more immersive, although I felt that the ocean in that game is far more vivid than the skies in Skyward Sword. The issues with the sailing mechanics were addressed in the HD release for the Wii U, in my opinion.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

@AVIS93: I would love if they combine the best out of the two games. Basically A Link Between Worlds with the story and dungeons of Skyward Sword.
I want a Zelda game that doesn't hold your hand, has lots to explore and gives the player choices, but doesn't sacrifice its story and difficulty to do so. Maybe have three sets of dungeons, and completing each set will trigger a major plot point. Each set will have three dungeons and you will have the option to pick which dungeon you want to face first, second, and last in each set. The second set will have more complex puzzles and a smarter enemy AI. The third set will be the hardest dungeons in the game, and then you face the main antagonist in the 10th dungeon that opens up after completing the third set. There will be no mandatory filler for the sake of expanding the game as much as possible, but the game should have optional side quests and minigames that are fun and rewarding to do. The world should be connected, alive, diverse, and fun to explore, with many animals, useful NPCs, and monsters in every nook and cranny. This is my dream Zelda game.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By trugs26

@ANIMEguy10034: I love the sound of that. Personally, the biggest thing I want from a Zelda game is side quests. Side quests in a way allow for exploration and doesn't follow any linear pattern. So a combination of the main story having non-linearity+lots of side quests would make for an epic Hyrule universe. This is why I enjoyed Majora's Mask (and to an extent Minish Cap), because of the side-quests collecting the masks or figures.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

Skyword sword focused pretty much entirely on the dungeon like gameplay and nothing really in the side quest or getting to know the world more. If they made a game like ALbW top down on a larger scale, I think that would be better than SS. I still think Links awakening is one of the most fun zelda games.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@am_h8ter_ade said:

My personal rankings as a Zelda fanatic since 1985.....

Almost Great:

10. Twilight Princess

You messed up there, you have it ranked at "Almost Great" when anyone with sight and hearing would rank it as the worst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83

@trugs26: I'm with you there. Majora's Mask's side quests were the best. The way that all the NPC's had actually life routines and you had to follow them and learn their story was genius. It brought the world to life like no other game had done before or has done since. I would love for Nintendo to do another Majora's Mask style game and really expand upon that idea now that they aren't limited by the N64 hardware.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

@Jaysonguy: Hey I'm not blind or deaf and I would say its good. Geez, can you carry yourself any more poorly online? Do you have time for anything else since you take exception to pretty much everything a person slightly disagrees with you on via the internet?

aimanfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18  Edited By aimanfire
Member since 2010 • 31 Posts

@am_h8ter_ade: i agree with you, except for wind waker, and oracle. oracle was good, but i feel it should be replaced by something in the "almost perfect" section, like the original (the reason why nintendo built up a massive fanbase in the first place). and wind waker should be one of the masterpieces, considering it's original dislike but it's probably one of the most sold zelda games.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#19 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

@ANIMEguy10034: I'd agree with that sentiment. I see myself going through A Link Between Worlds again soon, whereas I don't know when I'll go through Skyward Sword again. Why? Because the former is a better game. But the latter was great as well, something I'm glad to have experienced. It leaves me excited for what is to come in the console Zeldas.

I had some overall problems with A Link Between Worlds though, mainly reusing the same overworld as A Link to the Past did. It didn't make me feel nostalgic, instead it felt like the developers were lazy. They could have designed a new, larger overworld while retaining the magic and charm of A Link to the Past, which would have made the game feel fresher. Whenever the game had a new area, like the dungeon designs or the renting system (which I didn't like or dislike) it felt new, exciting, and the game was firing on all cylinders. But when running around the overworld which was done quite a bit in the 20 hours spent playing I was having fun but it never felt like exploring, it felt like retreading old ground, and that isn't the best thing for a Zelda title.

Overall it's a great game and high up there in the Zelda rankings. Easily in the top 5 with Twilight Princess being number 1.

AVIS93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AVIS93

@ANIMEguy10034: That indeed does sound awesome. I'm getting very excited for the next Zelda title, which I'm 100% sure something will be revealed this year, perhaps at E3, at least a teaser.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts

I was a huge fan of A Link Between Worlds. Especially the freedom it gives you and the soundtrack. My ranking of the small sample of Zelda titles I've played:

Ocarina of Time
A Link Between Worlds
Spirit Tracks
Phantom Hourglass
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#22  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I'd say it's somewhere in the middle. For all its great ideas, some of the execution was a bit flawed, mainly in the size and challenge of the dungeons and bosses.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Minish Cap was my first 2D Zelda game which I managed to finish. I enjoyed it but ALBW beat it easily, it's right there with OOT and Majora's Mask IMO.

AVIS93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AVIS93

After giving it much thought and reading all your comments, I've decided to rank this game above Skyward Sword. I think it turned out to be a better game overall that didn't disappoint, whereas Skyward Sword, although good, didn't match my expectations in a few areas.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

I think ALBW is a really hard game to put into a ranking of the series; ALBW is an amazing Zelda game, but the problem I have with it is that it takes so much from ALTTP (#1 in the rankings) that I'm not sure whether I should move it up or down ranks for being so similar. It does a couple things better, merge mechanic, but dungeons are also simplified. Ultimately, I'd rank it possibly in the top 5? I'm not sure. It's the best handheld Zelda I've played, excluding ALTTP.