Possible that NX will be more like Steam?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

I keep having this hunch that NX will be something way different than Nintendo's other platforms. Iwata keeps saying "concept" and hasn't used the word console specifically (not that I've seen, I'm sure someone will prove me wrong :)

I see a lot of evidence that this is the case and that NX will be as much a service as it is a console:

It predict there will be a physical console for those who want the traditional console and physical copies... This keeps retailers happy too.

However, I think the console will be more like a middle of the road PC in terms of architecture so it is really easy to develop for.

The kicker is there will also be a Steam like service that allows 3rd parties to sell games so their playable on PC (like Steam) but where this is different is that 1st party Nintendo games will be available to play on the PC too- but only if you buy or have this Steam like service.

It makes sense. They took majority ownership of DeNA who specializes in these types of services that unify a bunch of different platforms. Plus they want to get their games into more hands and get third party support. If 3rd parties are already porting to PC then this is a way to tie Nintendo to these companies and games.

Also, a simple firmware update to the wiiu and 3DS make the platform usable with them too.

Plus, games can be played on iPads and phones for portable experiences.

Am I nuts or does this sound possible?

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Nintendo Xperience. There were rumors back before the WiiU launched that they were talking with valve about getting Steam on WiiU which would have solved all their 3rd party issues but that was just a rumor, nothing more.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 roboccs

@nini200: Oh yeah! Forgot about that.

I think competing with Steam would be a huge gamble but Nintendo is a pretty arrogant company. Not sure if Steam has a Japanese presence but you know Nintendo would love to get some of their clout back in Japan.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7244 Posts

I like your idea, but I think the NX is still in concept phase. They are probably throwing a lot of ideas around but the final product is still anyone's guess, even amongst the designers.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

this sounds possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#6 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

There has been talk about a hardware aspect of it, though. For some reason I want to imagine a hub that you buy, that has a big harddrive, and lets you stream stuff to your Wii-U and 3DS. But that is purely a guess.

fishpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 fishpockets
Member since 2014 • 361 Posts

It seems like it's a similar situation as the Game Boy and DS product lines. This is what Iwata said about those two platforms way back in 2006.

[It] will enable fun and movement not seen before. I expect it to become a third pillar, next to GameCube and Game Boy.

Compare that to what Iwata said about the NX.

Though I cannot confirm when it will be launched or any other details of the system, since I have confirmed that it will be a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept, it should mean that we do not intend it to become a simple 'replacement' for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U [...]

It seems like the NX product line will probably be a third pillar along side Wii U and 3DS as well, at least initially. It's entirely possible that the NX will ultimately replace the Wii U, the 3DS or both of them.

I think you're onto something with the NX being a service as much as it is a console, but I don't think it'll deviate too much from their current business model. I think they'll still have two hardware configurations (dedicated console and handheld), it's just that they'll work a lot closer together this time than they ever have previously. That not only includes cross-platform compatibility with VC games, NNIDs, and Miiverse but also with a lot of cross-platform games. Right now, the Wii U and 3DS share similar applications like Miiverse, NNIDs, Mii Plaza/Wara Wara Plaza -- but they don't really work together well. I can only really even think of two instances where you they interact with one another -- Smash Bros and MH3U.

I expect the future platforms to be a lot like what Apple, Microsoft and Google have done. Convergence. One OS/Architecture that works across multiple product lines. OS X/iOS, Windows Phone/Windows 10, Android/Chrome all work almost the same way now on Desktop, PC and Mobile. I think Nintendo will end up building a console and handheld around the same concept where the NX Console, NX Handheld, Mobile, Desktop are all tightly knit by the same architecture and functionality.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

That's not a bad guess. With the recent statements by Iwata, I can definitely see a Steam-like service.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 roboccs

@fishpockets: I thought that initially too but since it seems obvious that Nintendo could do that stuff you mentioned, it means that they won't.

I don't think they want to divide their resources by having a handheld and console anymore. The console that is closely compatible with tablet devices that pretty much everyone already own makes sense.

I definitely think they'll have a streaming service too.

fishpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 fishpockets
Member since 2014 • 361 Posts

@roboccs: I did more digging and found that Iwata made similar comments on the Wii U replacing the Wii and 3DS replacing the DS, but they ultimately just meant a new console/platform.

Nintendo is so cryptic about these things!

Shtinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shtinky
Member since 2004 • 8416 Posts

Possibly, but I'm pretty sure NX is confirmed to be a physical hardware device.

As for your Steam idea, Nintendo have strongly eluded that they're working on a cross-platform OS, that's basically their equivalent to Android or iOS. The theory is that this OS will make it easier for them to port games between their consoles and handhelds and vice versa.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#12 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

My predictions regarding the NX are:

- There will be a new console, in line with the new 3ds, much more powerful than the Wii U but fully compatible. Some games will be compatible with both, others just with NX. Maybe something like a PC where games can run in both but with different graphical settings.

-It will be compatible with the Wiipad, but they will try to integrate it with a mobile console.

-The VC will be dropped and substituted by a streaming service.

-There will be a cross plataform service similar to STEAM but probably not on PC, or in anything out of Nintendo's control.

(I understand there's a 99% chance of me being wrong.)

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts

i used to think along similar lines. i thought NX was, essentially, their next gen OS which would run on all their next gen devices. the holy grail would be to have people buy games for NX and play it on whatever NX device they want.

but nintendo specifically referred to it as hardware so my theory is gone.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2015/150317/03.html

8th slide down in the link they say "the new hardware system with a brand-new concept, NX".

so its a device. im guessing its a handheld of some sort as the 3DS is due a replacement sooner rather than later.

its very hard to guess what form it will come in though.

Lord_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lord_Magikarp
Member since 2015 • 374 Posts

Really wont know until more information comes out about, but I think it is pretty likely that it wont be a new console just yet

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

@roboccs: The NX as a unified platform is what I've been screaming the NX could be.

Sorry if this's been said before; I only read the topic post as of now and will get to the rest of the thread in a moment.

What I imagine is an NX program for PCs that work much in the way of Steam or Origin that allows you to play "console" NX games, an NX app on mobile that allows you to play "portable" NX games, and a set top NX console that lets you play all NX games.

• Developers would have a large initial install base to sell to (anyone with a decent PC or mobile phone) along with free Unity/Havok and other Nintendo developer perks.
  • Nintendo could sell consoles that scale and reiterate plus another quirky touchscreen controller, and an expanded install base for their first party games. If hardware sales aren't great, they could ease out and still profit from royalties anyway.
  • And gamers in general would finally be able to play first party Nintendo games without buying a console if they so choose. The PC master race would rejoice at potentially playing Mario Kart in 4k60fps.

"NX" stands for something. Otherwise it would not be a an acronym like "DS" (another project that was initially revealed as "DS" instead of its undisclosed codename). Perhaps the X stands for "cross" as in "cross platform," "cross play," "cross purchase," or all of the above.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I'm of the opinion that they're going cloud and the device could be used either by hooking it up to your TV ala OnLive, or as a portable handheld.

It'd be very dramatic if they did so.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

@fishpockets said:

Though I cannot confirm when it will be launched or any other details of the system, since I have confirmed that it will be a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept, it should mean that we do not intend it to become a simple 'replacement' for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U [...]

It seems like the NX product line will probably be a third pillar along side Wii U and 3DS as well, at least initially. It's entirely possible that the NX will ultimately replace the Wii U, the 3DS or both of them.

I read the same statement and come out with a completely different understand of what he said.

To me, when he said "we do not intend it to become a simple 'replacement' for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U..." the key aspect is it isn't a simple replacement, and it certainly isn't replacing one or the other. It could completely make both of them obsolete by becoming MORE than just a Wii U and 3DS combined.

More importantly, if Nintendo chooses to go the route of a unifed PC/console/mobile platform, the hardware will certainly no longer be PowerPC architecture. It'll almost certainly be x86, so backward compatibility would be lost. In other words, you'll still need your Wii U and 3DS if you want to play the past library, so it isn't being replaced in that sense. Iwata was saying, "your Wii U and 3DS are still useful."

At least, that's what I understood it as.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 roboccs

@elheber: Interesting! It seems like you and I have similar predictions. Only time will tell!!