Play dvd on wii?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JB007_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JB007_18
Member since 2005 • 156 Posts

How do I play dvd on wii? Do Idownload a channel like the internet?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
You can't.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#3 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
There is no way to play DVDs or Blu-Ray on a Wii. /thread
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts

There is/will NEVER be any way to view DVD Movies on a wii console. EVER*. There is nothing at all that can be downloaded that will allow for the material of DVD format movies to be viewed on your television from a wii system. Do not use google or any other internet search engine to try and prove us wrong. We are Gamespot, and we have spoken.

*unless nintendo claims otherwiseGamespot

there you have it

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Older wiis you could, newer ones you cant. I think GS had an news article on this last year. w/e dont google it, its not in the wii for a reason (licensing issue to be exact). /thread

alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

Older wiis you could, painguy1

actually you could never play DVD's..... Just go and buy a DVD player for $20, and get some duck tape. Tape the DVD player on top/ to the side of your wii. and now it can play DVD's

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#7 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Older Wii's Could?

come one Be serious man.

The Wii could never played DVDs in the First place. The Drive that's on the Wii is specially made to read specially made discs to prevent pirating. Turns out they read on a DVD Drive as well.

garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 garrett_duffman
well... when the wii was first released, it was stated that there would be a DVD version to release in december... but that never happened
silverfire675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 silverfire675
Member since 2009 • 74 Posts

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

Older wiis you could, alexh_99

actually you could never play DVD's..... Just go and buy a DVD player for $20, and get some duck tape. Tape the DVD player on top/ to the side of your wii. and now it can play DVD's

I superglued mine but...yea duck tape works too :)
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 painguy1

Older Wii's Could?

come one Be serious man.

The Wii could never played DVDs in the First place. The Drive that's on the Wii is specially made to read specially made discs to prevent pirating. Turns out they read on a DVD Drive as well.

LegatoSkyheart

all im going to say is that i have DVD playback on my wii. soo yeah. i would give you a pic, but thats against the rulez. (think on it)

silverfire675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 silverfire675
Member since 2009 • 74 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Older Wii's Could?

come one Be serious man.

painguy1

well if you tweak it, it could. Older wii DVD drives firmware had the capability to. Nintendo modified the firmware removing support for DVD playback 3 months ago. i know cuz ive already done it. not gonna say how cuz thats against teh rulez.

Wait...Nintendo is still getting pirated up the arse...why don't they re enable it! It's not like it matters anyway now...

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 painguy1

pirating? where did that come from? dont even bring that up were talking about dvd playback here. you know, video encoding, dvd hardware, lasers?

garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 garrett_duffman

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Older Wii's Could?

come one Be serious man.

painguy1

lieslieslieslieslieslieslieslieslieslies

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Older Wii's Could?

come one Be serious man.

garrett_duffman

truthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruthtruth

lol what the hell man. how is it a lie when i ACTUALLY HAVE DVD playback on my wii? hahaha w/e i see what your trying to do. i guess its for the best that people dont know. someone lock this thread into the pit

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wiifan001
There is no dvd support it never had dvd support stop thinking about dvd support dvd support does not compute
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Older Wii's Could?

come one Be serious man.

painguy1

all im going to say is that i have DVD playback on my wii. soo yeah. i would give you a pic, but thats against the rulez. (think on it)

Such blatant lies.

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
The Wii can play DVDs as mentioned already. Why Nintendo decided not to create a DVD channel, ill never know.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

This may just be the most genius idea since x360 hd dvd external. Imma try it on the wii tonight.

DriftRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DriftRS
Member since 2004 • 3491 Posts

so many uninformed people in this thread... The Wii can play DVD's, you just need some homebrew (read: software) to do it. Why Nintendo hasn't done it... probably greed, they seem to have this who scrooge thing going this gen.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 painguy1

so many uninformed people in this thread... The Wii can play DVD's, you just need some homebrew (read: software) to do it. Why Nintendo hasn't done it... probably greed, they seem to have this who scrooge thing going this gen.

DriftRS

thank you!!!!! but i dont think they will believe us either way.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LegatoSkyheart

DriftRS

I knew of this. I just didn't want to say since it's called "hacking" and I'm sure that "hacking" your Wii isn't cool on these premises.

We're talking legit reasons not Homebrew.

DriftRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DriftRS
Member since 2004 • 3491 Posts

hmm homebrew is legit, it's been held up in court a number of times.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wiifan001

DriftRS
Even if it was held up in court, Nintendo still disaproves of it. The whole point of the latest Wii update was to brick homebrew.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 painguy1

[QUOTE="DriftRS"]

wiifan001

Even if it was held up in court, Nintendo still disaproves of it. The whole point of the latest Wii update was to brick homebrew.

that and to fix a spawn glitch in the conduit. hehe, but yeah nintendo does dissaprove. its because most homebrewers pirate. NSMBW was pirated 1.3 million times correct? there was a thread about this the other day. anyhow the hardware is capable, but the software is not. how about we leave it at that :P and lock this thread before it gets out of hand lol

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

This is 100% true. I got my Wii at midnight of launch, and I remember hearing people there say that they would probably release a new one a year later that could play DVD's.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wiifan001
[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="wiifan001"][QUOTE="DriftRS"]

that and to fix a spawn glitch in the conduit. hehe, but yeah nintendo does dissaprove. its because most homebrewers pirate. NSMBW was pirated 1.3 million times correct? there was a thread about this the other day. anyhow the hardware is capable, but the software is not. how about we leave it at that :P and lock this thread before it gets out of hand lol

I still find 1.3 million illegally downloaded copies completely insane. With the Wii having sold 3 million in December, the total number of Wiis worldwide comes to about I'd estimate 55 million. More than 2% of Wii owners illegally got new super mario bros wii :shock:
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="wiifan001"] Even if it was held up in court, Nintendo still disaproves of it. The whole point of the latest Wii update was to brick homebrew.wiifan001

I still find 1.3 million illegally downloaded copies completely insane. With the Wii having sold 3 million in December, the total number of Wiis worldwide comes to about I'd estimate 55 million. More than 2% of Wii owners illegally got new super mario bros wii :shock:

yeah so do i. its kinda sad. But they are pirates what are you gonna do. Nintendo is trying. They actually put some new security in the games that prevent pirating. So hopefully that was able to reduce the potential number of possible pirated copies.

Jamisonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jamisonia
Member since 2009 • 896 Posts

So if you include the number of NSMBW copies that were pirated in the the sales of NSMBW then NSMBW out sold MW2 on the X360.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 painguy1

So if you include the number of NSMBW copies that were pirated in the the sales of NSMBW then NSMBW out sold MW2 on the X360.

Jamisonia

i think it alread did out sell it without those copies. Goblaa posted something about it yesterday

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts

[QUOTE="wiifan001"][QUOTE="painguy1"]

painguy1

yeah so do i. its kinda sad. But they are pirates what are you gonna do. Nintendo is trying. They actually put some new security in the games that prevent pirating. So hopefully that was able to reduce the potential number of possible pirated copies.

Stopping pirating is impossible on the Wii. I blame Nintendo for making the Wii so easy to pirate that the average joe doesnt even need a mod chip to do "illegal" things. Im sure Nintendo themselves dont care seeing that the Wii is still selling a ton and they finally really did something on menu 4.2 (which doesnt really help but they tried) since 2006. Im sure if the Wii went the GC way in terms of sale numbers, Nintendo would be busting it out with frequent updates, bricking systems left and right.
gulfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gulfo
Member since 2009 • 435 Posts

The Wii can play DVD videos very well, the only thing is that Nintendo didn't add a channel for that, but the hardware is there, if you want to play DVDs you need to add some "illegal" software to the console, software that Nintendo for some reason omited.

Darthschneider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Darthschneider
Member since 2008 • 257 Posts
You know what else is illegal?? Discussing bout homebrews here :?
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LegatoSkyheart

You know what else is illegal?? Discussing bout homebrews here :? Darthschneider

It looks like a bot actually.

you know, not a real person.

Darthschneider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Darthschneider
Member since 2008 • 257 Posts
What do you mean? Are you saying I'm a bot...like I'm not a real person?? :?
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
you can if you have the Wii homebrew channel but i wouldn't think it's worth it. Also geek squad can apparently modify your wii to play dvds.
Bitterbub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bitterbub
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

you can if you have the Wii homebrew channel but i wouldn't think it's worth it. Also geek squad can apparently modify your wii to play dvds.FPS1337

Uhh since when did Geek Squad start doing this? Nintendo does not take lightly to people who tamper with their product... I know people don't like it, but it's Nintendo's product after all. Nintendo would've heard of the Geek Squad ideal and most likely would've gone to sue them wouldn't they?

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
What do you mean? Are you saying I'm a bot...like I'm not a real person?? :?Darthschneider
I don't think you're supposed to bump up old threads, talk about homebrew stuff and advertise another website. That's a pretty good amount of rules to be broken. Besides it's not worth going through the trouble just to play 480p old fashioned DVD's anyway.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#40 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
The reason the Wii doesn't play DVDs is that Nintendo didn't pay the consortium their DVD licensing fee. It is physically capable of playing DVDs. The Xbox did this as well but you could get around it by buying a seemingly overpriced remote and attachment - the licensing fee was included in that and enabled DVD playback.
cinemax237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cinemax237
Member since 2005 • 390 Posts

There is a Wii released in japan that playes DVD's. http://wii.ign.com/articles/746/746637p1.html There you go.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

You can't.MonsieurX
Errr...yes, you can. *wink*

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts