Nyko Battery Charger issues

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

User Lists: 0

#1 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Now, I like to consider myself smart by any sense of the word, and I thought I'd be smart enough to invest in that Nyko Battery Charger station for the Wiimotes. For those that don't know how they work, you pop out your old batteries, insert the rechargable packs, and put on the rubberized grip backing with a square hole that allows for the gold plated connectors to stick out the bottom of the Wiimote.

Ok, I'm pretty sure anyone in the world could do that. So, I plug my thing in, and insert the Wiimote into the slot, the blue light turns on which says that it's working just fine and charging. Later my battery says it's charged and two things happen.

1.)The Battery pack heats up, sort of like an improperly wired circuit or resistor.

2.)The battery pack is NOT charged. I can't even turn on the Wii with it, nor would it allow me to turn it on with the other Wiimote I have. The battery pack doesn't even register when I have the console on already.

It says to allow for 3 to 5 charges for maximum battery capacity, but I can't even register enough charge to use the energy up.

Basically... WTF is going on here? I've already exchanged it once, I followed the directions exactly, twice, and I don't want to have to make a 3rd trip to the mall.

Anyone with experience here able to help me out?

MrMartinLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 MrMartinLee
Member since 2003 • 1091 Posts
I'm using the charger and so far no problems. However, after changing batteries out I did have to re-sync the remotes to the console following the directions that came with the Wii. Hope that will maybe help you out!
effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 effthat
Member since 2007 • 2314 Posts
I've heard reports of the Nyko system overheating the wiimote and destroying the contacts. Check it out with some regular AA's. I've avoided getting a charger until there is one available that consistently performs well.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SemiMaster

I'm using the charger and so far no problems. However, after changing batteries out I did have to re-sync the remotes to the console following the directions that came with the Wii. Hope that will maybe help you out!MrMartinLee

I did try pressing the little red button on the bottom of the controller in the battery bay to resync it, didn't work, don't think there was any power in the batteries.

I've heard reports of the Nyko system overheating the wiimote and destroying the contacts. Check it out with some regular AA's. I've avoided getting a charger until there is one available that consistently performs well.effthat

I checked with putting in my regular batteries again right after, the controller worked fine, but it was just the pack didn't do jack ****. If what yo guys are saying is true, I'm probably going to just return them and just force myself to buy regular AAs.

Unless anyone else has any tips or stories to share, I think I'm set on my plan of actions.

Mr_Doodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Mr_Doodle
Member since 2007 • 579 Posts

Your problem is occurring most likely because the metal things on the charger aren't making contact with the metal things on the remote. Depending on how your batteries are, you'll either need to bend the metal parts on the batteries so that they make contact, or you'll need to wedge something into the battery to make it touch (the latter worked for me, but the former should work, too). Everyone's Nyko charger seems to be different. See which method works for you.

P.S. Boo, Nyko. You suck.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SemiMaster

Your problem is occurring most likely because the metal things on the charger aren't making contact with the metal things on the remote. Depending on how your batteries are, you'll either need to bend the metal parts on the batteries so that they make contact, or you'll need to wedge something into the battery to make it touch (the latter worked for me, but the former should work, too). Everyone's Nyko charger seems to be different. See which method works for you.

P.S. Boo, Nyko. You suck.

Mr_Doodle

I'll check when I get home, but I'm rather certain that the contact with the metal part of the battery pack is sufficient with the Wiimote itself... But I don't know. I'll try that. Thanks.

And yea, Nyko does suck.