Nintendo NX to be mobile console with detachable controllers.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-nx-is-portable-has-detachable-controllers/1100-6442163/

Very interesting future for Nintendo

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

This will be huge for them. All development focused in one place instead of split across two systems (no more redundant mario or mario kart titles, etc) and shared resources across games is going to result in the meatiest Nintendo first party lineup of all time. They'll continue to get their hand-held third party support which has been great, and if the sales are high enough might even draw in some traditional home third party games to test the waters.

People finally get a true pokemon game on home consoles, and people no longer have to buy two systems to enjoy all Nintendo franchises (like fire emblem which went handheld).

The only thing that can keep this from being huge is price, it needs to be affordable and appealing. I think Nintendo learned from their mistake launching the 3DS at an abysmal price, so I think they'll be smart here.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

Yeah, this is good news. The portable hybrid concept for NX was my favorite of all the ideas speculated. It makes the most sense based on Nintendo's strengths, their success with portables, streamlining game development, and bringing their portable and home console customers together. I recently bought a 2DS for my little one, and I am amazed at how good the games look on it. The 2DS is solid and feels good, and based on all of these positives I think I am going to like the NX. I can't wait for the full reveal of the NX which seems like it should be coming soon-maybe in a month or two? I think the NX is going to be very successful.

ocphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ocphon
Member since 2006 • 184 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing what the NX is all about.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I loved playing off-screen on the Wii U gamepad. The annoying thing was that I was bound to the living room. So I like the idea of a truly portable machine, so I can easily play anywhere around the house, and keep my TV on for other things.

Generally speaking, a handheld powerful enough to play Zelda BotW sounds awesome to me.

Also, I loved the Super Game Boy on the SNES and the Game Boy Player on the GCN to play handheld games on the big screen. Sure, they were pixelated, but I still loved being able to play on the go and play on the big screen at home. So NX is sounding right up my alley.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Coolyfett

From the designs that have been posted. Curious how small the NX controllers will be. It seems both controllers will have an analog stick, 4 action buttons and possibly a trigger shoulder button. Will the 3rd parties come around? Who are the big handheld 3rd parties other than capcom? This will be the first time since the NES where Nintendo won't have to deal with a home console and hand held in the same generation.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

Just sounds like a conglomeration of the rumors said over the last year, not calling anything confirmed until Nintendo finally unveils it.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Yea looking forward to see what its about..I don't care for the portable side...I just care about what it'd look like on TV. Is it gonna be say low-medium quality on portable side...then boosted to high quality when plug into docking on TV. OR will it just be same same on both meaning no boost. :P

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sepewrath

@superbuuman: According to this rumor, no boost.

gopre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 gopre
Member since 2003 • 210 Posts

Since the NX is portable, will this bring an end to the DS series? This is a question of curiosity. I only have the 3DS. Never picked up the others. Wish I did, but oh well.

gopre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 gopre
Member since 2003 • 210 Posts

Nintendo is in complete control of the handheld market. Maybe they feel they can gain more gamers for the handheld by having true compatibility with a television. So in a minute away they're dropping out of the console only market. It'd be as if they're still in the console market, but at the same time they're not. Just a thought.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

I feels like, that if the WiiU could be played fully with just the pad and no tv, it would have been kickass.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Collie_Lover

@trugs26: Plus Miiverse should continue to see fan artwork posted to it and various art applications available.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#14 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Another day another rumor.

Mordant221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 Mordant221
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

If this is true, the NX will be the first Nintendo console I'll own since the GC. It's seriously such a good idea. It'll be like the Nvidia Shield Pro, but with Nintendo games and a screen in the middle.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#16 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

Loading Video...

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sepewrath

I'm inclined to agree with him. I said this on other websites when the story first broke. I have a hard time believing this is what Nintendo was so adamant about hiding from competitors. A Super Game Boy, a 20 year old concept and a current one that Sony is already doing with PS TV and Vita. So I'm having my doubts about the validity of this. It sounds feasible, because all of the patents they've been doing over the last couple of years. And the system could very much be in the ballpark of what this rumor is saying. But I don't what is exactly being said here, is what the system is. I would be really surprised if it were.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

Based on the most recent rumors... i have some areas of concern...

1) Controllers- Detachable controllers.... seems like a bad idea. Why would the portable just keep the controls on it. Then when your at home, would there be a standard controller?

2) Battery Life - High Performance, typically means short battery life. We'll see how good these chips are.

3) Cost - I guess it depends if it's sold as one unit, portable and docking station, or both individually. Im guessing some new accessories will be needed too.

4) storage space / virtual console... or lack there of. (Without hooking up an external drive)

These seem like these are the same issues that hurt the Wii U... and now we'll likely see it again on the NX.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@GameboyTroy: lol at the people taking rumours too seriously & taking it out a youtuber?...sad :P

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Collie_Lover

I think the NX will be a good system, but it will not be possible for Nintendo to produce hardware beyond criticism. There are some astoundingly unhappy and picky posters on the internet. Lets face it, even if Nintendo produces something that is near perfect there will be those that hate it because of a minor detail or simply because it play Nintendo games. If Nintendo plays it safe with the NX, the complaints will be that "it brings nothing new to the market"; and if Nintendo includes a QOL component or a haptic feedback feature people will whine "enough with the gimmicks Nintendo, why cant we just have an ordinary powerful console with AAA 3rd party support, for less than $100, blah, blah, blah!" Even if the NX breaks console sales records there are going to be people saying it is "for casuals", "its a fad", and "just like the Wii the NX is not a real console". If the NX is successful the complainers will say that the NX is for casuals, and if it is unsuccessful it will be "Nintendoomed".

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

To be fair... each system and pretty much everything else on the internet faces criticism. Nintendo , a household name, like Apple... people want the best. Nintendo tends to go against it's fans, with a new concept... that in most cases the fan doesn't know he needs/wants until it is out and they can play it. Since the Wii, i've been saying ... Hey Nintendo... since it's a "family" console with focus on games for kids ..... they need to make an affordable console... not doesn't have a mandatory tablet controller. Nintendo should have realized this at launch, and maybe switched gears with the Wii U... Instead they limped along for 2-3 years It's too bad, because the WII U is my favorite console. I love the touch screen, but it shouldn't have been mandatory. A 32 GB WII U with pro controller should only be like 99$-129$ and the pro controller can turn on the system, and is all that is needed. Then sell the gamepad at 99$ as optional. Nintendo being stubborn keeping their console at 299$ when it didn't sell well. I also think people playing the gamepad in stores, doesn't do it justice.

I got my finger crossed Nintendo hits a grand slam... i'm just approaching with caution and concern as other Wii U owners might. I think most people will agree the 1st party games will be great. The question will be does the hardware make sense to buy? Like i said, the Cost, controllers, Battery life and Storage space will determine how the hardware does.

Also seems like a lot of emphasis is centered around if the NX will use the Tegra X1 or X2 Chip. Supposedly the X2 will be quite a bit more powerful.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Collie_Lover

@The-Butcher248 said:

To be fair... each system and pretty much everything else on the internet faces criticism. Nintendo , a household name, like Apple... people want the best. Nintendo tends to go against it's fans, with a new concept... that in most cases the fan doesn't know he needs/wants until it is out and they can play it. Since the Wii, i've been saying ... Hey Nintendo... since it's a "family" console with focus on games for kids ..... they need to make an affordable console... not doesn't have a mandatory tablet controller. Nintendo should have realized this at launch, and maybe switched gears with the Wii U... Instead they limped along for 2-3 years It's too bad, because the WII U is my favorite console. I love the touch screen, but it shouldn't have been mandatory. A 32 GB WII U with pro controller should only be like 99$-129$ and the pro controller can turn on the system, and is all that is needed. Then sell the gamepad at 99$ as optional. Nintendo being stubborn keeping their console at 299$ when it didn't sell well. I also think people playing the gamepad in stores, doesn't do it justice.

I got my finger crossed Nintendo hits a grand slam... i'm just approaching with caution and concern as other Wii U owners might. I think most people will agree the 1st party games will be great. The question will be does the hardware make sense to buy? Like i said, the Cost, controllers, Battery life and Storage space will determine how the hardware does.

Also seems like a lot of emphasis is centered around if the NX will use the Tegra X1 or X2 Chip. Supposedly the X2 will be quite a bit more powerful.

You make good points on everything you said, especially that everything on the internet receives criticism (I would click the like button on your post if I could : ) I will admit some of the controller concept drafts seem odd. I also sometimes think that because Nintendo makes such unique controllers it makes B/C a problem, but having gamed with the Wii Remotes and Gamepad I don't want to give these up. I still buy Wii games and I just got tremendous deals on some the other day (We Ski $1.99, Deca Sports $1.99, Sonic and the Secret Rings $4.99, and Sonic and the Black Night $9.99). The console power race seems to be escalating right now, and there is always a more powerful chip out there. I am not concerned about what chips Nintendo is going to put in their console from a graphics perspective because their games will look great. Cost and Storage Space do matter. I did not pick up Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty from the e-Shop yet because I don't have the storage space for it, and I have the 32GB Wii U system. Overall though, I am just glad that Nintendo tries to bring new ways to game instead of just focusing on resolution and internet.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Coolyfett

Question

What services and features from the 3ds and Wii U do gamers want to see?

Will Amiibo work on the NX?

What features and services from the 3DS and Wii U do gamer not want to see carried over?

Tr3ndsetter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Tr3ndsetter
Member since 2016 • 21 Posts

But i have Nintendo DS.