My Wii is making funny disc drive noises....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Speedy454545 (1311 posts) -

I was just playing Metroid Prime 3 when I suddenly took notice to the noises my disc drive was making. It was pretty loud, and every now and then it would make this kind of loud humming noise. (Hard to describe the exact sound) Its not a constant buzz, its kinda like "buzzz....buzzzz.....buz" then stops for abit then does it agian.

Now it was the first time I have played Metroid Prime 3 in a while. But all my other games from memory did not make sounds like this.

So is this normal? Its really not THAT loud but its noticeable, maybe its just my game?

This is not early signs of a faulty disc drive is it?

(None of my games have ever been scratched and I have never had a disc read error before)

#2 Posted by XxAK47xX (4773 posts) -
does it make that noise when you are opening a door to a big room and it takes a few seconds to load? because i can hear my disk spin hard core what im opening doors. but it no buzzing sound, it more like a verry soft hummm to a disc hault
#3 Posted by DriftRS (3491 posts) -
yeah, my Wii likes to be noisy too, dunno why, guess it just stoopid *kicks Wii*
#4 Posted by Speedy454545 (1311 posts) -

does it make that noise when you are opening a door to a big room and it takes a few seconds to load? because i can hear my disk spin hard core what im opening doors. but it no buzzing sound, it more like a verry soft hummm to a disc haultXxAK47xX

Yeah it is actually more like a humming sound, though I wouldnt really call it soft sometimes it can get a little loud.

It kinda just sounds like its loading, but it does get quite loud.

Is this a problem with my Wii or is it just normal?

#5 Posted by Speedy454545 (1311 posts) -

I cannot explain the sound lol, it does not sound to bad. I just have never noticed it that loud before.

It goes "Hummmmmmmm..........Hummmm.......Hum" every now and then, sounds like that. It can get quite loud.

But I experience no lag or anything in my game, no scratched disk and no disk read errors at all.

Is this noise just normal because its trying to load the game?

#6 Posted by da_chub (3073 posts) -
Mine did the same thing as yours i think. it sounded like the disc was rubbing againist something. It only happened when it got left on for like 2 days without knowing, then the next time i went to use it, it was making that noise. I stoped using it for a couple of days and havent had that problem again. Dont know if that helped.
#7 Posted by Speedy454545 (1311 posts) -

The noise is so hard do describe lol. You know when you first put your Wii Disc in and you can hear the disc drive buzz a few times to load the game.

It sounds like that but it happens during the game sometimes.

#8 Posted by Speedy454545 (1311 posts) -

Hmm I will try putting some other games in tomorrow.

Maybe its just because MP3 is a big game with better graphics, and the disk needs to spin faster to load the game and it makes a louder noise.

#9 Posted by WMDfreeman99 (1874 posts) -
Its becuase of MP3. i have notuiced the sametimes when i play mine...no other game makes that noise..dont worrie your wii is fine
#10 Posted by roboccs (7511 posts) -

I picked up and played MP3 for the first time in a few months a few weeks ago and for the first time I heard this loud buzzing sound that actually sounded like it was static coming through my TV speakers. I turned off the TV and I still heard it and it was coming from my Wii. It was loud enough where I had to turn up the TV. Since I found out I could have my warranty extended by registering my Wii, I did that and had it sent in immediately since I was going to be out of town for a week any ways. I did it because I read so many issues about buzzing on these forums. It was probably a bit quick to pull the trigger on sending it in but I figured since I had the warrenty I might as well have a fixed up wii and a new warranty.

#11 Posted by rees263 (25 posts) -

I have a similar noise problem with my wii.

MP3 has always made noises with me, and it only happens sometimes when I'm trying to go through a door, it just sounds like it's loading (and sometimes it seems to take forever!) so I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a new noise however - in the last couple of days my wii makes noise whenever a disc is inserted - it's like I can hear it whirring around in there, and it is far too loud to be healthy in my opinion. I've had the wii for over a year and it's never done this before, only in the last couple of days, and it makes the noise for all my games, including GC ones. Something that needs fixing?

I've thought about taking it into a shop, will that do any good? Anyone else had the same thing?

#12 Posted by Phazevariance (11112 posts) -
My drive makes sounds liek the motor is dying already, but it works fine. Not sure why, Nintendo products usually last forever, but this time, we'll see.
#13 Posted by roboccs (7511 posts) -

I have a similar noise problem with my wii.

MP3 has always made noises with me, and it only happens sometimes when I'm trying to go through a door, it just sounds like it's loading (and sometimes it seems to take forever!) so I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a new noise however - in the last couple of days my wii makes noise whenever a disc is inserted - it's like I can hear it whirring around in there, and it is far too loud to be healthy in my opinion. I've had the wii for over a year and it's never done this before, only in the last couple of days, and it makes the noise for all my games, including GC ones. Something that needs fixing?

I've thought about taking it into a shop, will that do any good? Anyone else had the same thing?

rees263

Don't take it to a shop. If you registered your wii at nintendo.com then you get a year and 3 month warranty. If your warranty is still available then call Nintendo and have them fix it because it will be for free and then you get a new warranty so if you register it again when you get it back then you get a year and 3 month warranty again! Nintendo customer service is great. I sent mine in and checked nintendo.com and I should finally be getting it back after about 2 and a half weeks. If you take it to a shop then I think it voids the warranty and it will cost you money.

#14 Posted by Speedy454545 (1311 posts) -

It just kind of sounds like its trying to load the disk, but pretty loudly. I cannot use my Wii right now, but I will see later if another game does it.

Now about this extra 3 months warranty, I live in Australia. The Nintendo Australia website does not have the extended 3 month warranty, so what should I do?

#15 Posted by armyboy2100 (92 posts) -
ya mine makes noise too...mine makes a clicking noise when it loads...im guessing thats bad?
#16 Posted by KingBowser91 (2638 posts) -

I also hear that sound when playing MP3.

#17 Posted by Speedy454545 (1311 posts) -
So you guys think its just the game MP3 requires more loading and stuff which is why it makes my noises?
#18 Posted by shadimoscouplos (1572 posts) -

this happened with me with scarface after i didnt play it for a month. and soon the error started comin up so i got rid of it fast.

u know when u put a disc in and it makes that huge clicking noice like twice then goes away, does it keep going on when u play, cause with scarface it would buzz hum click and i got afraid so, yea idk.

#19 Posted by Speedy454545 (1311 posts) -

Well I just played Zelda and it worked perfectly, no noise at all.

Maybe its just the Metroid game. Come to think of it, MP3 does not have that many loading screens does it? Maybe it just loads itself on the run which causes the Wii to buzz a little louder and a little more often.

#20 Posted by killer1733 (25 posts) -
If any one is reading this almost all my wii games make that noise i have had it for like 3 years now. the solution is to sometimes lean the wii over or flip it upside down
#21 Posted by aransom (7408 posts) -

The Wii just has a noisy disc drive. You'll notice it a lot in MP3 because you're standing there in front of a door, waiting for the game to load, and nothing's going on, so the game gets quiet, and the noise really stands out. I got my Wii at launch, and it's still working like a champ, noises and all.

#22 Posted by Itsthetruth (318 posts) -

Actually i think the Wii is quite silence compared to my laptop or my X360. I can hear loadings and stuff (as pointed before, Metroid is the game where it is most noticeable) but that's because the rest is quiet, no huge fan blowing air, no constant noise in the background.