Monster Hunter and Lego City Both Pretty Meh, What Happened?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Much was said about this spring's games with Monster Hunter and Lego City leading the pack.

The problem is that each one of these fizzled.

Monster Hunter's seen sales that have pushed over a quarter mil but that number becomes pretty sad when the sales in NA are right at 40k and the European markets have yet to hit 30k.

Lego City is another game that everyone was having high hopes for and that game has barely cracked 90k worldwide. Worse still is that the sales in the US for the game are 80k.

What hurt both of these games is that neither one was a system seller. Heck, even in the Wii U's software starved market Monster Hunter and Lego City aren't must haves if you already own the console.

Some will say that both games aren't that great, they have problems and are just good.

I think that neither game was made for Nintendo's core user, the casual.

Why do you think both games failed?

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Monster Hunter looks pretty dope. If for some reason I owned a Wii-U I'd buy that fosho.
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I think that neither game was made for Nintendo's core user, the casual.Jaysonguy
You're right. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate wasn't made for the casual, it was made for the hardcore Japanese fans. The game can be very intimidating to some people, it's definitely not something anyone can pick up and play, there's a huge learning curve, and too many people think it's a HD port of a Wii game when it's actually a massive expansion to Tri (although it still does not sound as appealing as a whole new MH game made from the ground up for the Wii U).

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

Where are you looking? VG chartz? It says 90k for Lego as of March 23 and the game only released in UK on March 28th and it's sitting 8th on the UK sales charts now. It's doing well for an infant install base.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
OK Jayson, if the only people that bought a Wii U are little kids and casuals like you claim, wouldn't that make you a little kid and casual gamer since you claim to own a Wii U? There is no need for this thread to exist. You're just trying to make a negative thread to see how people respond, much like most of your posts.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
It's because there aren't enough people believing in the system. And Monster Hunter has been done already, and Lego City Undercover doesn't really appeal to many adult gamers (although it's very entertaining for the older crowd as well.)
homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts
MH has a perfectly understandable reason for underperforming. I am curious to see how LCU pans out. Due to its exclusive nature and it appearing early in the Wii U's life, I don't expect it to reach the combined total sales of other Lego titles before, but I did expect a boost to the system. I'd like to see the next wave of stats on the game (even if they're from VGchartz).
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jaysonguy

For those commenting on Monster Hunter I would agree with you if the Wii U wasn't starved for good software.

After the initial launch of software that included some pretty bad ports of games there was nothing. Lego City and Monster Hunter were supposed to be top tier games on the console that would not only draw in new audiences but also would see some hits from the Wii U userbase.

Even after Nintendo spearheaded the advertising for each of these games they've both failed to gain any sort of traction.

Though I will say this. This was Monster Hunter's last hope on a Nintendo console. There was no software competing against it and it still failed to meet expectations. It'll never find the software landscape for the Wii U this barren again.

Lego City wasn't done but the top tier people in charge and it shows it, for all the game does right it fails in a lot of ways.I'm not sure that would have saved it but it sure kept a lot of people on the fence. Preorders were weak for the game as a whole, that spoke to the public's general disinterest.

TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TxTech1923
Member since 2013 • 662 Posts
People can't use the excuse that MH did bad because it's a remake+.. RE4 on Wii did really good and the most it did was alter the controls. Lego City may still do alright once the kiddies are out of school for the summer and their parents are more likely to get them games that won't distract from classwork. It doesn't have a very good ceiling though just because interest in the console is nonexistant right now..
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

plain and simple.. the install base is too low and both these games were not going to boost sales dramatically.

wiifit U and wii partU will.

then when it becomes popular and gamers see it selling they will jump in...

but even the wii with its install base had poor 3rd party sales..3rd part games rarely sell amazing on nintendo consoles...so this is nothing new jasonguy.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Your opinion is pretty meh, that happened...

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
People can't use the excuse that MH did bad because it's a remake+.. RE4 on Wii did really good and the most it did was alter the controls. Lego City may still do alright once the kiddies are out of school for the summer and their parents are more likely to get them games that won't distract from classwork. It doesn't have a very good ceiling though just because interest in the console is nonexistant right now..TxTech1923
Is this you WreckEm?
Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

OK Jayson, if the only people that bought a Wii U are little kids and casuals like you claim, wouldn't that make you a little kid and casual gamer since you claim to own a Wii U? There is no need for this thread to exist. You're just trying to make a negative thread to see how people respond, much like most of your posts.Toxic-Seahorse

That's so true. I've never seen him post anything positive. Even his blog entries are almost all negative.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

I'm going to hold my thoughts until I see the official numbers, but if what is being said is accurate, it's rather unfortunate. Not that I expected Monster Hunter and Lego City to put up massive numbers, but it doesn't speak too well if the two biggest games on the system since the launch didn't manage to sell much software.

Still, not trying to assess this too deeply. I'll wait for the numbers later in the month to break it all down.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]OK Jayson, if the only people that bought a Wii U are little kids and casuals like you claim, wouldn't that make you a little kid and casual gamer since you claim to own a Wii U? There is no need for this thread to exist. You're just trying to make a negative thread to see how people respond, much like most of your posts.QuebecSuperstar

That's so true. I've never seen him post anything positive. Even his blog entries are almost all negative.

I don't get why this dude even associates with video games.
TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TxTech1923
[QUOTE="TxTech1923"]People can't use the excuse that MH did bad because it's a remake+.. RE4 on Wii did really good and the most it did was alter the controls. Lego City may still do alright once the kiddies are out of school for the summer and their parents are more likely to get them games that won't distract from classwork. It doesn't have a very good ceiling though just because interest in the console is nonexistant right now..nini200
Is this you WreckEm?

Indeed, I killed my old account and made this one :P
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="TxTech1923"]People can't use the excuse that MH did bad because it's a remake+.. RE4 on Wii did really good and the most it did was alter the controls. Lego City may still do alright once the kiddies are out of school for the summer and their parents are more likely to get them games that won't distract from classwork. It doesn't have a very good ceiling though just because interest in the console is nonexistant right now..TxTech1923
Is this you WreckEm?

Lol I figured it was. :lol: nobody else reps TexasTech as much as you do
T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 T3H_1337_N1NJ4
Member since 2005 • 2225 Posts

Holy! I haven't paid attention to these boards since the Wii came out. Jaysonguy is STILL going around trolling? You'd think that during 7 years he'd found something better to do.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Yeah, sub-100k sales are pretty bad.

That can be considered a sales flop.

If I were in charge of those games, I would port them to other systems. (for example Lego City to PS360 and MH3 to Vita/PS3)

Unless there are some exclusivity contracts with Nintendo preventing this, I don't see a sense in keeping these games exclusive to Nintendo. (considering the poor sales)

TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TxTech1923
[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="TxTech1923"][QUOTE="nini200"] Is this you WreckEm?

Lol I figured it was. :lol: nobody else reps TexasTech as much as you do

Hahaha, well at least I've got a reputation for it on my own now, when I first started here everyone accused me of being Rawsavon's alt :P
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Well they really aren't blockbuster AAA games like Mass Effect and Batman were. I mean they look like good games but they're "nice to have" games rather then system sellers. If the WiiU got games like the new Tomb Raider and Bioshock games it'd be doing better.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

If I were in charge of those games, I would port them to other systems. (for example Lego City to PS360 and MH3 to Vita/PS3))

nameless12345
Even when Lego historically sells best on Nintendo machines? hahaha
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

If I were in charge of those games, I would port them to other systems. (for example Lego City to PS360 and MH3 to Vita/PS3))

OreoMilkshake

Really? A quick look at VgChartz (LOL I know but I don't know any better source) shows that some sold best on Wii, some on 360 and some on PS2.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

OreoMilkshake

nameless seems pretty sadned and has given up on nintendo but i know deep down he wants everything to be nintendo exclusive. and ninty domination.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

Monster Hunter's seen sales that have pushed over a quarter mil but that number becomes pretty sad when the sales in NA are right at 40k and the European markets have yet to hit 30k.

Jaysonguy
Has Monster Hunter ever been successful outside of Japan?
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

What's wrong with you?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

meetroid8

Successful?

Ehh

Sustainable?

Yes it has.

There's been Monster Hunter titles that have done around one million units in NA and Europe.

The Wii has no software, I mean Christ the console set a record for no games and Monster Hunter sold horribly.

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

meetroid8

Tri was the most successful MH outside of Japan.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#32 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
The problem lies with install base. The Wii U isn't selling itself and there aren't any Nintendo titles until Holiday that will push units. I think both Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Lego City Undercover will do fine considering the install base, but it's a bigger issue than the games not having a large impact. One is fairly niche and has troubles appealing to people outside of Japan, and the other doesn't have a license behind it's name to help it sell more copies.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#33 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

When you take into account the console's current install base, those numbers are not as terrible as you make them sound, especially considering the fact that those are two titles that came out not too long ago.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jaysonguy

When you take into account the console's current install base, those numbers are not as terrible as you make them sound, especially considering the fact that those are two titles that came out not too long ago.

Pierst179

Except the fact that the Wii U is now in gaming history as having the longest time between retail releases.

It's starved for software, people who have the Wii U are desperate for software and these games sold horribly.

Also these games are relatively new but their launch week numbers are abysmal too, there's no signs at all saying that these games will see a spike later on.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#35 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

[QUOTE="Pierst179"]

Jaysonguy

Except the fact that the Wii U is now in gaming history as having the longest time between retail releases.

It's starved for software, people who have the Wii U are desperate for software and these games sold horribly.

Also these games are relatively new but their launch week numbers are abysmal too, there's no signs at all saying that these games will see a spike later on.

I will agree with the long time between retails releases. Nintendo seems to have stacked the launch lineup too much - maybe in fear that it would be the 3DS all over again.

It gave the system a very interesting starting group of games, but it also left Nintendo with nothing too release during the past few months.

It is hard to judge the performance of software this early in a system's life because the install base is small, especially since the system is not selling very well, but I still see those numbers as very reasonable.

mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mrfokken
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts

Monster Hunter Tri was on the Wii. I wouln't expect a remake to do all that well in the US on a system that already can play Tri. Even if it has a loyal following, I certainly wouldn't call it a system seller outside of Japan.

Undercover is a better game than most people give it credit for. The biggest knock against it is probably load times, which are not nearly as long as those for Skyrim. I have yet to see any TV ad for it, and really didn't see much advertising on the game sites either. So, I don't know how much hype there was to begin with. 

As for neither of these games targeting Nintendo's audience, I couldn't disagree more. Undercover is a game that oozes charm and is family friendly. How could you say it isn't for the Nintendo faithful?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Pierst179"]

Pierst179

I will agree with the long time between retails releases. Nintendo seems to have stacked the launch lineup too much - maybe in fear that it would be the 3DS all over again.

It gave the system a very interesting starting group of games, but it also left Nintendo with nothing too release during the past few months.

It is hard to judge the performance of software this early in a system's life because the install base is small, especially since the system is not selling very well, but I still see those numbers as very reasonable.

We agree to disagree, no harm in that

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jaysonguy

Monster Hunter Tri was on the Wii. I wouln't expect a remake to do all that well in the US on a system that already can play Tri. Even if it has a loyal following, I certainly wouldn't call it a system seller outside of Japan.

Undercover is a better game than most people give it credit for. The biggest knock against it is probably load times, which are not nearly as long as those for Skyrim. I have yet to see any TV ad for it, and really didn't see much advertising on the game sites either. So, I don't know how much hype there was to begin with. 

As for neither of these games targeting Nintendo's audience, I couldn't disagree more. Undercover is a game that oozes charm and is family friendly. How could you say it isn't for the Nintendo faithful?

mrfokken

Monster Hunter is the same game on the Wii but remember Capcom's plan for severing the online ability for the Wii version to usher people towards the Wii U version.

As for Lego, the game doesn't look or play as well as other games in the Lego series. You can tell this wasn't done by the top tier people in the company, this wasn't a flagship title that the studio was hanging their hat on.

The advertising has been everywhere. It's in magazines, on the TV, and there's even a special Lego set featuring Chase.

As far as hitting the core casual/child user I'm not sure. The game is a dumbed down GTA for kids but ehhh, I don't know if kids want a dumbed down GTA. Adults can get the real GTA and kids either want GTA to look cool or they want Lego Harry Potter or Star Wars version.

If the game was done by the best team at the studio and was worth playing no matter it would be a different result in some cases, as it stands now it's a game that has no real market and is certainly not worth a 50 dollar price tag.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Much was said about this spring's games with Monster Hunter and Lego City leading the pack.

The problem is that each one of these fizzled.

Lego City is another game that everyone was having high hopes for and that game has barely cracked 90k worldwide. Worse still is that the sales in the US for the game are 80k.

What hurt both of these games is that neither one was a system seller. Heck, even in the Wii U's software starved market Monster Hunter and Lego City aren't must haves if you already own the console.

Some will say that both games aren't that great, they have problems and are just good.

I think that neither game was made for Nintendo's core user, the casual.

Why do you think both games failed?

Jaysonguy

Niche market and poor advertising, two versions, low install base (MH3U). and low install base again (Lego)

I'm enjoying MH3U a lot on my Wii U,  a great welcoming into a franchise I anticipate I will be very into in the future

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#40 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

certainly not worth a 50 dollar price tag.

Jaysonguy
To you, maybe. But the game's a lot of fun, and has a ton of hidden items to search for when the main game is over. It packs more value than most AAA titles nowadays.
GG-EvdK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GG-EvdK
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I bought this console for MH3U. I don't know how it happend but somehow this is the only game my gf like to play too.

I would have bought the console later when there were more triple A games like Mario, Zelda, DK, Kirby etc but when I saw MHU at a friends house I just couldnt resist.

I only hope they will add more content over time then they did on the Wii (none).

All in all I'm not suprised people do not buy the console for this game. It's weird, kinda slow and has a high learning curve. Not something the typical casual/cod/fifa player likes to play.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 thetravman

[QUOTE="thetravman"]

New numbers for March 30th, which is 2 days after Lego City was released in the UK. So far it sold 160k. That's very good for a launch window game.

Jaysonguy

That's disgusting for a game released after literally months of no games.

The 30k for NA and 20k in Europe is troubling, overall sales are weak for a title that's main point is known to almost every person on the planet.

Hmmm, going over the Lego games Lego City underperforms even the worst selling Lego games of last gen.

Why do you keep comparing it to other iterations? Of course it's abysmal compared to them but consider the obvious circumstances. There is also the fact that this game doesn't latch on to other licenses like Batman or Lord of the Rings, so its niche is gone. With that said, it's still doing well.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 thetravman

New numbers for March 30th, which is 2 days after Lego City was released in the UK. So far it sold 160k. That's very good for a launch window game.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jaysonguy

thetravman

The 30k for NA and 20k in Europe is troubling, overall sales are weak for a title that's main point is known to almost every person on the planet.

Hmmm, going over the Lego games Lego City underperforms even the worst selling Lego games of last gen.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

[QUOTE="thetravman"]

Jaysonguy

Wow, a game on a brand new system not many people own is selling worse than a game on a system with a much larger user base? NO F*CKING WAY. Can you go 1 day without saying anything negative? You're the buzzkill of the Wii/Wii U section. Try being positive for once, you might like it.
st_anger10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 st_anger10
Member since 2003 • 48 Posts

When will the bashing end? I have all current systems and that includes the WiiU.I played the mh3t demo and thought, wow this looks sharp and bright and colorful but did'nt have any clue as to what I was doing other than getting my a$$ handed to me,lol.Lego City Undercover was a buy for me day 1 and I am 32 years old,love it and still playing it,so that being said its not all about the kids,I will play pretty much anything because a game is a game!As to the system not having much right now,well that will change,its still a baby,after 12-16 months have passed and we are in the same vote as now then I will say "Ohhhhhhh Crap",but for now I am happy with my peice of cake and not the whole damn thing.Just remember the 360 and PS3 were not any different at the beginning and the new xbox and ps will be in the same vote!

st_anger10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 st_anger10

Almost forgot I love the WiiU,terrific system!

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

When will the bashing end?

st_anger10

When Nintendo starts releasing games. :P Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is impressive? colourful yes, but impressive no, ugly texture - Wii game tweaked up, if Capcom make Monster Hunter 4 for Wii U from ground up with none of that cross connect 3DS crap then it will be impressive. Wii U is starting to get a few games (with release dates) - Splinter Cell Black List, Deus Ex, Injustice, RE: Revelations. ...but yea from Nintendo its zero.

st_anger10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 st_anger10
I don't believe I used the word impressive.But I did think the picture was sharp looking and bright,anyways all in all I thought the game was cool even though I am not a fan.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

I don't believe I used the word impressive.But I did think the picture was sharp looking and bright,anyways all in all I thought the game was cool even though I am not a fan.st_anger10
Oops sorry my bad..it is a game with steep learning curve, once you learn it tho its gets good. :)