Mario if Nintendo put more effort into their hardware

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

Very impressive I'd say...

Link

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@zaku101: I like the higher fidelity, the clarity etc. I think the realistic environments such as the caverns, would better suit Zelda.

I also did not think the "cartoon" part of the level was that great. But nonetheless, impressive video.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Mario if Nintendo put any effort into making their games fun. Very impressive:

Link

Seriously, that video is just a bunch of random pretty environments with Mario jumping around in them. A full Mario game with dozens of distinct levels with that level of (unnecessary) detail would take way longer to make than any of us would want to wait.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Yeah it looks good and all, but the gameplay looks worst then Mario 64, which is hard to do since all they did was copy Mario 64 mechanics, they could have at least put some enemies in there to show some some gameplay. Plus it all looked pre rendered, i didnt see them move the camera not once. Its like Mario got trapped in a Resident Evil game. I would cry if Nintendo ever made a game that lacking.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Yeah it looks good and all, but the gameplay looks worst then Mario 64, which is hard to do since all they did was copy Mario 64 mechanics, they could have at least put some enemies in there to show some some gameplay. Plus it all looked pre rendered, i didnt see them move the camera not once. Its like Mario got trapped in a Resident Evil game. I would cry if Nintendo ever made a game that lacking.

Flag

Almost all of the scenes that looked pretty were just levels part of the UE4 udk, they're not meant for gameplay or anything. It was not pre rendered.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

that would cost like 30 million to make or something.....nintendo are pretty stingy now :P

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

The Unreal Engine 4 is impressive, but the cartoon Mario seems out of place. I want Nintendo to keep making Mario games in their own style. Separately, I don't want to see Nintendo go down the "edgy" road with Mario.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

in Zelda or Metroid games yes...not so much Mario. It would take long, but Zelda game always take a long time anyway. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#9 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

that would fit a Metroid Prime style but not Mario at all. MArio 3d world is prefect the way it is and cartoon Mario fit the cartoony world.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

It looks pretty, realistic and all, but it just doesn't look fun to play. Especially if were still carrying the dated N64 Mario engine.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Nintendo will never put much effort into their hardware. The NX should be cutting edge. But it won't be. It would be great if Nintendo did have up to date hardware in their consoles. Nintendo is stuck in their way of doing things which is outmoded, outdated and a change in leadership will have to happen. Nintendo needs new blood badly. So while I hope the Nintendo NX turns things around. It will end up as another hardware disappointment.

Nintendo will continue to make great games. But Nintendo should contract out the creation of the next console after the NX. Nintendo will be around for a while. But if they fail with the NX. Nintendo should contract out the 8th Nintendo home console. Nintendo may have learned that partnering with DeNA and Universal will pay off for them. So maybe Nintendo will be open to a partnership to create their next console, after the NX.

Nintendo may have learned from it's mistakes with the Wii U, But we will have to see. NX launching in 2017 will put them in a difficult area once again. But we just have to hope and see.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Megavideogamer: Reason Nintendo does not produce high end graphics machines is because it would hurt their game production, people complain about them not making enough games as it is, just think how much less of games they would make if had a super expensive machine. Plus it would bring Nintendo right in range of a price war between them and Sony/Microsoft, Nintendo can not afford to go into a price war, they are not big companies like the others. Let Microsoft, Sony, and Steam battle it out in the price war, after they are done Nintendo will cruise right on pass them once again.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

It looked out of place, but I hope Nintendo sees this and puts some decent hardware into NX so that it at least supports Unreal 4.

@mesome713 said:

@Megavideogamer: Reason Nintendo does not produce high end graphics machines is because it would hurt their game production, people complain about them not making enough games as it is, just think how much less of games they would make if had a super expensive machine.

They don't have to produce ultra realistic games just because they have the hardware to do it, but at least other developers could do them if they want to and that way NX might get some decent 3rd party support.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Epak_: That's true, you make a good point. I think they can do it this time since we are stuck at 1080p, I just hope people don't get mad when Nintendo makes another 1080p console. That's all I was getting at, I don't want Nintenso to make a 4k console, cause even if it's a low budget game, putting it in 4k would cost a lot, especially when the same exact game in 1080p would look just as good and cost way less. But I agree they should just go for it, cause now I think is perfect time, I don't think tech will be moving to 4k any time soon.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

That was pretty impressive though I'd prefer to see it done with Metroid Prime, Zelda, or maybe another Star Fox Adventure. Hell, if Nintendo could use that engine for a Star Wars Rouge Squadron, I'd willing pay $100 to get my hands on a copy!..

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@Epak_: That's true, you make a good point. I think they can do it this time since we are stuck at 1080p, I just hope people don't get mad when Nintendo makes another 1080p console. That's all I was getting at, I don't want Nintenso to make a 4k console, cause even if it's a low budget game, putting it in 4k would cost a lot, especially when the same exact game in 1080p would look just as good and cost way less. But I agree they should just go for it, cause now I think is perfect time, I don't think tech will be moving to 4k any time soon.

Hmmm... I wonder when 4k becomes a thing, not very soon I guess, as you already said. It's so demanding that console manufacturing prices would go way up. I'd say that 1080p is enough for now, but IMO the NX has to be able to compete with PS5 and Xbox Whatever. That's what they get when they launch a new platform in the middle of the current generation.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts
@Collie_Lover said:

The Unreal Engine 4 is impressive, but the cartoon Mario seems out of place. I want Nintendo to keep making Mario games in their own style. Separately, I don't want to see Nintendo go down the "edgy" road with Mario.

I don't think we have to worry about Mario being edgy (although the Strikers series has pushed the bar a bit in that regard... lol), but Mario in a photo-realistic doesn't fit very well. I also found the more colorful portion of the video to be rather unimpressive; granted, it could just be the resources that were used to put those "levels" together, but Unreal Engine 4 certainly looks like it was built for gaming worlds less... vibrant than Mario's.

@Epak_ said:

They don't have to produce ultra realistic games just because they have the hardware to do it, but at least other developers could do them if they want to and that way NX might get some decent 3rd party support.

If Nintendo built a very powerful platform, the expectation from the gaming world would be for Nintendo themselves to push it in some way. No one would give Nintendo a pass if games would look about the same or worse as they do now on a system that is more capable than Wii U, and you can believe that alone would greatly hurt the system's chances at success. A super-powerful, poor-selling Nintendo console would be no more attractive to third parties than a modest-in-power, poor-selling Nintendo console (like the Wii U). Nothing's guaranteed, my fellow gamer... except maybe unrealistic expectations and outcomes by the gaming community at large.