Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon: The Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

Luigis-Mansion-Dark-Moon-01.jpg

Welcome to Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon: The Thread.

As you attain your copy of the game and playing ensues, you may feel the desire to post general impressions from time to time.

If and when such occasions arise, then, well, there's this thread -- one in which the posting of comments can and may be peformed. 

For the haters: 

Luigi_animations_10_by_Mufei_Luigi.gif

alphamale1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 alphamale1989
Member since 2008 • 3134 Posts

First the release of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, then a thread in which to post!

*fanfare ensues*

graphics-fanfare-459797.gif

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
Picking mine up on Monday but I'm barely on chapter 15 of FE: Awakening. Don't know if I will rush through the remained of the game to start Luigi's Mansion
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#4 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Since the game is out today, I figure I will have to wait at least another week until it arrives around these parts. I can't wait!

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
My copy is on it's way and hopefully shows up tomorrow. I can't wait.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

My copy should arrive later this week. It was either get it day one for 40 bucks or get it later for 30 bucks. I took the money savings... Kinda regretting it haha.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pierst179

Surprisingly, I was able to pick it up today.

I played it for about three hours and I am close to finishing the first mansion. I absolutely love the game. It does have a lot of backtracking, since the mansions are divided in "missions" and you have to go back to the beginning every time you go into the mansion for a new one. However, the game has a great personality, is genuinely funny, it has very detailed environments and the best graphics on the system by a good margin. :D

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 moltenix
Member since 2008 • 2487 Posts
My copy should arrive in the mail by Tuesday. I have no idea how I'm gonna switch between playing this with fire emblem and monster hunter.
ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts

So I bought the game for my younger stepson for his birthday, and he's wanting to know if the game autosaves, or is he missing how to save?

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts

My copy should arrive later this week. It was either get it day one for 40 bucks or get it later for 30 bucks. I took the money savings... Kinda regretting it haha.

yokofox33
Patience is a virtue. :)
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pierst179

So I bought the game for my younger stepson for his birthday, and he's wanting to know if the game autosaves, or is he missing how to save?

ItsEvolution

It does autosave. However, I do not think the game makes it vrey clear when it is autosaving. Or maybe I just did not notice anything.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Meinhard1
Still deciding if I'm going to buy the game tonight and use the 15 minute missions as study breaks, or if use it as a reward come Easter break.
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Meinhard1

[QUOTE="ItsEvolution"]

Pierst179

It does autosave. However, I do not think the game makes it vrey clear when it is autosaving. Or maybe I just did not notice anything.

I haven't played the game, I'm assuming it simply auto-saves after each mission, right?
final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

How much trade-in credit do you suppose Gamestop will give for the game? (has anyone traded in a 3DS game before?)

ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts

How much trade-in credit do you suppose Gamestop will give for the game? (has anyone traded in a 3DS game before?)

final_lap
Already getting rid of it?? $25, maybe. Because it's a day old.
Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

Surprisingly, I was able to pick it up today.

I played it for about three hours and I am close to finishing the first mansion. I absolutely love the game. It does have a lot of backtracking, since the mansions are divided in "missions" and you have to go back to the beginning every time you go into the mansion for a new one. However, the game has a great personality, is genuinely funny, it has very detailed environments and the best graphics on the system by a good margin. :D

Pierst179

Is it too difficult? :lol:

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 final_lap

Well I was thinking of getting the game just for the free game deal and then trade it in. (after playing it) Trying to decide whether to do this. I thought some predictions on its trade-in value would help me decide. 25 sounds excellent though.

Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sora278
Member since 2009 • 1496 Posts

Well I was thinking of getting the game just for the free game deal and then trade it in. (after playing it) Trying to decide whether to do this. I thought some predictions on its trade-in value would help me decide. 25 sounds excellent though.

final_lap

What free game deal?  At Gamestop?  That is just if you buy the 3Ds XL and you get a free download of either Luigi's Mansion or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 final_lap

[QUOTE="final_lap"]

Sora278

What free game deal?  At Gamestop?  That is just if you buy the 3Ds XL and you get a free download of either Luigi's Mansion or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

You buy an XL and either Luigi's Mansion or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and register the game and system on Club Nintendo, then you get to download a free game. http://club2.nintendo.com/3ds-xl-promo/

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pierst179

I haven't played the game, I'm assuming it simply auto-saves after each mission, right?Meinhard1

It does, but I am not sure if it saves during the missions. Some of them can take over 25 minutes if you explore the place carefully, so it would be good if it did. :P

Is it too difficult? :lol:

Optical_Order

I would say it has a solid level of difficulty. Luigi has fainted once so far. And, speaking of which, GS' review was right in that regard, because the one time Luigi fainted I had to replay a considerable portion of the mission.

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts

Just about to fire it up and get my first opinion on it (and then Pokemon Mystery Dungeon). Of course my 3DS decides it doesn't want to connect to the internet as I was about to register my free game from Club Nintendo for XL+Luigi's Mansion and a 3DS card. Why you do this 3DS!? WHY!?

MAG_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MAG_19
Member since 2010 • 71 Posts

I love this game its absolutly my favorite of the nintendo/mario series. jumping on turtle shells can get boring and this is very different besides from the original  which i cant remember what it was about cuz it came out when i was 10 and im 21 now. I like the multiplayer but im liking the story more. I give it a 9.5/10

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 moltenix

I can't believe this arrived in the mail today! I wasn't expecting it till midweek.

Only played a bit so far but its so awesome! :D

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 moltenix

I think you've gotta play to certain point before multiplayer unlocks.

I just started and don't have it yet either.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Meinhard1

Impressions after mission 1.

Nit-picks: (as a big fan of the original [and considering that this game was developed by a different dev with somewhat different approach] I have a few, of course!) 

Controls work well, although not as enjoyable as dual analogy.

They really changed the sound design. I miss the cheesy sound effects of the original. The new key sound in particular made me frown.

Gloomy manor looks nice, but not quite as cool as the original Mansion.

Pressing A to suck something in feels weird, initially.

Still judging the music-- it's pretty good.

I like how...

...you can peer through windows into different rooms / see different parts of the mansion in the background.

... the game has its own charm, different from the original. Animations are silly. I chucked, I grinned.

... there's a tone of interactability. 

I have work to do, now but I'm excited to play more!

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
Got mine today but I'm still working through Fire Emblem :( And I also have to play Etrian Odyssey IV, Proffesor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Gears of War Judgement, and Bioshock Infinite just came out. I have no idea what to do :x
moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 moltenix

Got mine today but I'm still working through Fire Emblem :( And I also have to play Etrian Odyssey IV, Proffesor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Gears of War Judgement, and Bioshock Infinite just came out. I have no idea what to do :xKaze_no_Mirai

I'm in the same boat. I've gotten like four 3DS games in the last month alone in addition to my existing backlog of games on all systems.

Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion seem like better games to play on the go. I'll probably just play Monster Hunter at home.

The_Joker1721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 The_Joker1721
Member since 2012 • 304 Posts
My copy should arrive in the mail by Tuesday. I have no idea how I'm gonna switch between playing this with fire emblem and monster hunter. moltenix
This. Downloaded it launch day but because of an eShop maintenance I couldn't play it (Damn you Nintendo!) Now that I've unlocked the scare scraper and trying it out... This game is gonna own my soul. It's just so much fun. Never got the chance to play the first one but this is definitely making me regret it. Highly recommended it to anyone on the fence (whoever that may be)
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Meinhard1
Well, the first mansion was pretty darn good. I liked the fire / spider web mechanic.
RasAlgethi28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RasAlgethi28
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

Soooo what's the general consensus for this game?

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
Would this game be fine to play if I've never played the original Luigi's Mansion before?
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'm only almost done the second mansion (there is a TON of replay value in the first mansion alone), but so far it is one of the most well designed games Ihave played in a very long time. This is Nintendo at it's cleverest.

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 moltenix
Would this game be fine to play if I've never played the original Luigi's Mansion before?Aquat1cF1sh
I never played the original and I think it's fine. I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat. Definitely pick this up though! Nintendo is on a roll with 3ds games this year; this game is so awesome.
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Meinhard1
Would this game be fine to play if I've never played the original Luigi's Mansion before?Aquat1cF1sh
Yes. The original was made 10 years ago, by a different developer. The game doesn't assume you've played the original.
Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
Ah, this is excellent news. :D I'll add this to my wish list.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 pierst179

I'm only almost done the second mansion (there is a TON of replay value in the first mansion alone), but so far it is one of the most well designed games Ihave played in a very long time. This is Nintendo at it's cleverest.

Pikminmaniac

You are absolutely right on that, it is very cleverly designed.

I spent over three hours on the first mansion alone until I captured all Boos and found all gems. The second mansion is even better because it shows how the designers found ways to give each mansion its own interesting twist.

The game's humor is absolutely stellar.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#40 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

Pierst179

You are absolutely right on that, it is very cleverly designed.

I spent over three hours on the first mansion alone until I captured all Boos and found all gems. The second mansion is even better because it shows how the designers found ways to give each mansion its own interesting twist.

The game's humor is absolutely stellar.

I'm pumped to hear that. Taking a trip with my parents this weekend so I'll have plenty of time to get through this clever game. 

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

I just got my copy and I'm loving it!  I still think the original is better but I give this one 8.5 so far.  Really hope they keep continuing this franchise, and remake the first one for Wii U.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Meinhard1

I just got my copy and I'm loving it!  I still think the original is better but I give this one 8.5 so far.  Really hope they keep continuing this franchise, and remake the first one for Wii U.

NoirLamia777
Yeah. I just wish this game were a bit more spooky and found the dual stick controls of the original to be much more intuitive. That aside, Dark Moon improves upon its predecessor in many ways
TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
THis game is really fun. Although the gyroscope controls make the 3d difficult to see, so I find myself turning it off a lot of the time. Other than that, it is awesome.
Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Optical_Order

Just got my copy today, excited to play it.  

Not sure whether I should keep the code for the free game or sell it off though. 

gettingpatches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 gettingpatches
Member since 2011 • 218 Posts

Just got mine, only played through the first few levels, so it's still a little early to judge for me, but from a technical perspective this is probably one of the most impressive 3DS games. Only real irritation so far was a little audio glitch I got, where only the music was playing with no sound effects forcing me to restart the first mission. I'll maybe update with a proper impression once I've played more.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Meinhard1
Very close to beating the game. So far my favorite thing about the game is the mansions -- the settings are varied and interesting to explore. My least favorite thing is the ghosts. I mean sometimes they're used really well -- I like it when they interact with objects, or with each other as part of gags. .. As the game progresses, though, I increasingly found them getting boring and repetitive. I'd often resent my exploration being interrupted by some obnoxious ghosts. The original Luigi's Mansion had more interesting, puzzle based ghosts. They were more creepy and fit well with the feel of the game.
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

This game got under rated by gamespot, I've put more time into Luigi's Mansion DM then I did with Star Fox 64 3D. In fact I barely touch SF643D, I only beat it once & I was dissatisfied with the game. But I'm loving Luigi's Mansion DM, Luigi is awesome & funny.

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Optical_Order

This game got under rated by gamespot, I've put more time into Luigi's Mansion DM then I did with Star Fox 64 3D. In fact I barely touch SF643D, I only beat it once & I was dissatisfied with the game. But I'm loving Luigi's Mansion DM, Luigi is awesome & funny.

BigBen11111

Definitely. Deserves AA status at least. 

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 moltenix

Just beat the game today! Totally awesome!! :D:D

Now i'm kinda sad that it's over. I can definitely see myself going back to replay some of the missions though. The Scarescraper looks pretty fun as well.