Less than a day in and SSB has broken my 3DS.

• 50 results
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I got my copy of Smash today (a day early for the UK), only been playing it for about 2 hours and it's already rendered my 3DS unusable. The circle pad was fine before I started playing Smash, never once had a problem with it, but now it's constantly stuck moving my character to the right, making this game pretty much impossible to play.

This appears to have been caused by how you have to snap the circle pad back to quickly turn around, it's clearly not designed to be used in such a fast paced game such as Smash Bros. Why the hell Sakurai didn't give us the option to switch control to the D-Pad I'll never know, but I do know I can't play Smash on this 3DS and I'll either have to send it to Nintendo to see if they can fix it or buy a new one.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

yup. Its why you should buy the Wii U version. The Gamecube controllers are designed for that level of abuse. There's been reports of slide pads everywhere breaking under SSB gameplay. I wouldn't risk my 2DS on this game.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By spike6958

@bunchanumbers: Yeah. It's impossible to play. Up smash doesn't register at all, running is impossible unless i'm going right because the circle pad is always fighting against me. I have to wonder how much Nintendo really playtested the 3DS version, because this has happened in just a few hours to me, and my 3DS was fine prior to playing Smash.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19550 Posts

I've never had this problem in the demo version. Perhaps you were being too rough with the game?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

This was reportedly a huge problem in Japan. I'm sorry you didn't seem aware of it until after you broke yours. I imagine this problem isn't going away any time soon.

I have no plans to buy SSB on 3DS for that reason, not to mention I want 4 player local play offered by Wii U.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@Planeforger: Its been reported that SSB is breaking slide pads on 3DS handhelds since it launched in Japan. This was to be expected. In some cases the entire slide pad will snap off and leave nothing but a little plastic nub. The 3DS wasn't made for a game of this caliber.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba
deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba
Member since 2014 • 322 Posts

This isn't the game's fault, it's user error.

I've played the demo for over 5 hours and it hasn't broken my 3DS. I know a friend who has spent far more than that amount of time on the game, and his circle pad is fine too. Don't play so intensely and you won't break your device.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Planeforger

@bunchanumbers: Oh I know it has been reported in Japan, but that doesn't mean that those players weren't forcing the circle pad too hard.

Also, the 3DS launched with Super Street Fighter 4, which is just as demanding on the circle pad. So I'm not entirely convinced that the 3DS wasn't made for games like this.

*edit* I'm not being contrary for the hell of it - I'm just skeptical about how serious this problem will be with the majority of players.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

My L button stopped working consistently after a ton of Kid Icarus Uprising. Sakurai's games must have that effect. ;p

The solution, if you want to play the 3DS version, is to learn to play without using so much force. It'll take some concentration at first, but you'll get used to it, AND you'll have way more endurance since you're not overdoing it. You can be just as quick without using a ton of force.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Yet another reason this game should have Never been made for 3DS in the first place. Smash is made for console, not handheld.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

spike...did you ever try out the demo?

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@nini200 said:

Yet another reason this game should have Never been made for 3DS in the first place. Smash is made for console, not handheld.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@spike6958: never really thought that a fast-paced fighting game would work well with the 3DS's sad excuse for an analog stick. This really makes me wanna just wait it out for the Wii U.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 spike6958

@KBFloYd said:

spike...did you ever try out the demo?

Yes, and I had no problems with it then.

Since posting this topic I've been to my brothers and tried out smash on His 3DS, and have encountered none of the problems I did on mine. I'm starting to wonder if my circle pad was just starting to wear in general (as I use my 3DS several hours each day while riding the train to work and back), and that it's just happened to co-inside with the release of Smash, which is already a heavy duty game for the circlepad.

big_mak523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By big_mak523
Member since 2011 • 210 Posts

I've spent like 11 hours on the demo and it hasn't happened to me yet... Topics like these scare me lol.. I'll just be extra careful till the Wii U version comes out, then its go time with the GameCube controller. I see the 3DS version as a way to casually play with people on the bus or something :p... That's happened to me like 3 times since I've downloaded the demo haha..

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

I haven't had much issue with the demo so far, hopefully that continues. Sadly though I'm tempted to not buy it on 3DS just because I can't see myself playing it once the U version arrives in November. I mean, 50 more days for the real main event right? Plus October is already loaded with me getting Spelunky, Sleeping Dogs, DriveClub, Two Walking Dead seasons, Sunset Overdrive, Evil Within and I just bought Hyrule Warriors.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@haziqagha said:

This isn't the game's fault, it's user error.

I've played the demo for over 5 hours and it hasn't broken my 3DS. I know a friend who has spent far more than that amount of time on the game, and his circle pad is fine too. Don't play so intensely and you won't break your device.

To be fair, you can't go off anecdotal evidence. Not all 3DS's are built identical (e.g I have the vertical screen scratching problem, and it's not like I put any weight on the device to cause it).

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@KBFloYd: the demo where the CPU are on level -10, and just stand around while you repeatedly blast them off the stage?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KBFloYd

@jcrame10 said:

@KBFloYd: the demo where the CPU are on level -10, and just stand around while you repeatedly blast them off the stage?

you can up the difficulty.... on 8 they are decent...on 9.. you will lose.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

D-pad should have been an offered control option. The circle pad is horrendous for the level of control needed. The demo persuaded me to not buy Smash.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@Minishdriveby said:

D-pad should have been an offered control option. The circle pad is horrendous for the level of control needed. The demo persuaded me to not buy Smash.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on it

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Its users fault. I've played the demo for 6 hours and mine is just fine. I did notice when I first started playing, I was being forceful on it, but I just quickly learnt not to be.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Played the demo for around 11 hours now and have no problems with it.
Using the circle-pad subtly works just as fine. D-pad should be an option though...

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

I would like a dpad option, but its not a hardware fault, its on the user. People broke N64 controllers with Mario Party, damaged PS2 controllers with MvC; if you go nuts on the game, any controller can be damaged. Even the GC controller could have the shoulder buttons damaged, if your mashing them like a madman.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@nini200 said:

Yup I agree..but I reckon its also user error at this point...I mean if they are rough even on console..they'd probably break the analog stick on Wii U gamepad. :P

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

It's only a matter of time before 3rd party companies make replacement circle pads. Then broken sticks will be a non-issue, 15 minutes with the right screw driver and it's fixed.

Sorry your 3DS doesn't work currently :(

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KBFloYd

i just got the game...i cant get in on online match i get an error.

servers are probably overloaded

EDIT

...ok i got on

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@TrappedInABox91 said:

Its users fault. I've played the demo for 6 hours and mine is just fine. I did notice when I first started playing, I was being forceful on it, but I just quickly learnt not to be.

Nope

What you just described is a faulty device

If you need to change how you play to be gentle with it then it's garbage. It's not a "well you learn and..." shut the @*(# up. Handhelds are meant to be workhorses that do everything. If you need to baby it so you can do routine actions with it then it's poorly designed.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@superbuuman said:

@nini200 said:

Yup I agree..but I reckon its also user error at this point...I mean if they are rough even on console..they'd probably break the analog stick on Wii U gamepad. :P

What, is smash the ultimate controller durability gauge now? lol Wii U controllers will be fine.

I agree this game has no business being on 3ds other than to make Nintendo some extra money.

But you can't call this user error since Nintendo should've known the limits of the circle pad, plus the 3ds's general durability.. it's all on Nintendo. Maybe if this happened months after release you could call it wear in tear, but immediately? There's a time for Nintendo's defense but this sure isn't.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JordanElek

@Jaysonguy said:

@TrappedInABox91 said:

Nope

What you just described is a faulty device

If you need to change how you play to be gentle with it then it's garbage. It's not a "well you learn and..." shut the @*(# up. Handhelds are meant to be workhorses that do everything. If you need to baby it so you can do routine actions with it then it's poorly designed.

Being gentle isn't the same as babying. If I played Theatrhythm by matching my own tapping strength on the touchscreen with the intensity of the gameplay, I'd punch holes in the thing. That doesn't mean I have to stick my pinky out when I play; it just means that I use the thing how it's meant to be used and not ravaging it because I can't control my excitement.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I've been playing the full game for 15 hours now, circle pad still intact.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@Chozofication said:

@superbuuman said:

@nini200 said:

What, is smash the ultimate controller durability gauge now? lol Wii U controllers will be fine.

I agree this game has no business being on 3ds other than to make Nintendo some extra money.

But you can't call this user error since Nintendo should've known the limits of the circle pad, plus the 3ds's general durability.. it's all on Nintendo. Maybe if this happened months after release you could call it wear in tear, but immediately? There's a time for Nintendo's defense but this sure isn't.

1.2mil Smash games sold..so how many broken 3DS got reported?...has there been 100 cases?...or 1000 cases?...or is the same news being reported many times by different websites?..when it reach 5000 cases or more then I'll be incline to think it might be the game causing the problem. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@superbuuman said:

@Chozofication said:

@superbuuman said:

@nini200 said:

1.2mil Smash games sold..so how many broken 3DS got reported?...has there been 100 cases?...or 1000 cases?...or is the same news being reported many times by different websites?..when it reach 5000 cases or more then I'll be incline to think it might be the game causing the problem. :P

Hard to say but it's happened to quite a few people.

I don't think everyone who plays it will have the issue obviously, but I can definitely see your 5,000 cases happening :p

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 simuseb2
Member since 2014 • 178 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

@TrappedInABox91 said:

Handhelds are meant to be workhorses that do everything.

Hmm...

I get the feeling that you are a satirical account Jayson.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JordanElek

@simuseb2 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@TrappedInABox91 said:

Handhelds are meant to be workhorses that do everything.

Hmm...

I get the feeling that you are a satirical account Jayson.

He's a satire of us all. Learn to laugh at (with!) him.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

Anybody know if this is more common on smaller normal 3DSs or is it happening with XLs too? I heard the circle pads on both aren't exactly the same, that the normal 3DS has more give and moves quicker while the XL has more resistance, I was wondering if this made any difference.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Planeforger

For what it's worth, I've been playing it a lot over the past couple of days, with no noticeable wear to my (launch) 3DS at all.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I'm not a fan of the controls at all. I've only played it a little bit on training mode, but moving and jumping is damn annoying. And I don't see it getting better with practice and repetition.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Planeforger

@yokofox33 said:

I'm not a fan of the controls at all. I've only played it a little bit on training mode, but moving and jumping is damn annoying. And I don't see it getting better with practice and repetition.

I'm not seeing the problems, personally.

It plays just like a Smash Bros game. A and B cover the different attacks. X or Y is the jump button. R shields and dodges, L grabs and throws. Circle pad controls movement just like an analogue stick.

What about that set-up don't you like?

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

@Planeforger said:

@yokofox33 said:

I'm not seeing the problems, personally.

It plays just like a Smash Bros game. A and B cover the different attacks. X or Y is the jump button. R shields and dodges, L grabs and throws. Circle pad controls movement just like an analogue stick.

What about that set-up don't you like?

I just don't like the feel of the handheld controls I guess. Feels like everything is cramped together. I think my real beef is the analog stick is too short to handle properly for a fighting game, at least for me. I like a proper joystick for movement. In fact, I don't really enjoy using the analog stick for any 3DS game.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Damn sorry dude, I have had 0 issues out of mine so far and I have played about 8 hours total.... I have a 1st edition black 3DS, not sure if yours is an XL or not... I noticed the demo 3DS XL at gamestop the circle pad was messed up pretty good, but that could be due to abuse...

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34468 Posts

Either you're really rough, or your 3DS would break soon anyway. I've been gaming Smash furiously ever since it came, and circle pad and all buttons are the same as before. I know you're not alone, though. Some people just press buttons really hard.. which is why I never let people use my controllers or handhelds I know have these habits. I've noticed that a large number of people who don't play games often, usually press buttons really fucking hard, thinking attacks or whatever will become more powerful by it.

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts

The dpad should be an option.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

Are you abusing the 3ds? Rage much?

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I played it several hours by now and my 3DS is still perfectly fine. Those with problems are probably the same who think the harder they press a button the stronger the attack is ^^

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

Your 3DS is faulty or you were too rough with it.

Kid_Black_Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#49 Kid_Black_Star
Member since 2009 • 506 Posts
@zeroyaoi said:

The dpad should be an option.

^ This though I could change from Circle pad to D-Pad when I first got my hands on the game.

I was dead wrong....

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts

@Kid_Black_Star: hope yours didn't break. :P