Is portability overrated?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Nintendo believes we all want to play our console games the way we play our hand held games. Which isn't fully true and I wonder how many people would have chosen an alternate path than the one they specifically chose.

I've been playing Fire Emblem Heros, Mario Run and even MiiTomo, all Nintendo apps on my iPad, and you cannot take these games serious while walking around with them. Yes there are some mobile games or parts of their apps where I could play them sufficiently while walking and talking, but people play games for immersion, and console games don't function well for on the go.

On 3DS we've had console games put on them, and I more or less played the same way I would have had I played them on Wii U/NES/SNES and I dam sure know I can't play half my 3DS games the way I play my mobile games. I mean I'm focused for almost everything and since 3DS can't do anything but play games, I end up taking my phone and tablet more places.

Straight up, everyone who saw Zelda Breath of the Wild trailer at E3 2016, who even wanted this on the go, that was last thing on my mind, their biggest game is an experience I want to play on TV, all their other games are same, 1,2 Switch, ARMS, Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8. Like why would you want to play any of them in badly lit lines at the bank with earbuds, or sitting on the crapper?

I mean Nintendo was going big with Zelda and Mario, doing the whole motion controllers and peddling it like a console. Why shoot so high, but build the opposite? I mean it is nice getting both worlds in 1, but this thing is a weak console by today's standards let alone next couple years, yet is a crazy strong handheld in terms of past handhelds, yet tablets are just as strong, and way more capable.

Point being, they building games that you simply can't play on the go, making console experiences that no one can or would choose to play on the go. They've limited themselves on what they can do as a console, just so it can play on the go. This is just basing off what we know, we of course could have so much in store, it just seems like there isn't enough handheld games going on considering it is half handheld.

I'm not saying I know what is better, and I'm sure Zelda and Mario are just fine playing on a 6.2" screen on a mobile chip. I just often think the Wii U Slim concept should have just been released to fix the flaws like 2-3 years after launch, I mean Wii saw other iterations. Like +51% of the portable stuff I'd use Switch for, the Wii U tablet or a newer 3DS could just do, had they been given the tech necessary.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

Simply put, no.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 outworld222  Online
Member since 2004 • 4219 Posts

Not at all.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

@outworld222 said:

Not at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@saltslasher: I think you make a good point, but I think I can explain a little better.

So the thing is, to some of us gamers, a handheld system is like a much more personal system. You can play it anywhere around the house, or whip it out on a long bus ride, or at a coffee shop, or - in the case of the Switch - bring it with you to a gathering with friends and play fun games together, or even have a LAN party.

Not being restrained to the television is a huge benefit. The Switch has its own screen, so technically you can play it without even owning a television. And it is the only console that can play relatively powerful video games - at home or wherever.

The convenience of being able to play some more simple games with friends by detaching the two Joy-cons from the screen also opens up lots of possibilities. This is the first time ever where you can be playing some game alone, bump into a friend, and then suddenly start playing that handheld game with them. I don't think there has ever been anything like this before.

Imo, the Switch has a huge edge over the competition, and opens up a wide range of possibilities. It'll be decent for people that want to play at home on a nice, big television, but you can really play however you're comfortable playing with this one, so you can also play on the go or with friends on the go.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

@Ovirew: Seems like they are targeting a niche market who actually want to do all that. Anytime you "invent a new way to play" there is always going to be a risk of whether people like it or not. I mean people haven't complained, but that little joy con doesn't look like the type of controller people want to use to play a video game. I mean I don't have huge hands but I don't personally want my finger knuckles bent to play.

I think it is an amazing hand held device, even if has zero apps or mobile games ported. I just don't see myself taking it out of the house, don't see myself playing online with it, and majority of the games I rather play on a TV with a Pro Controller. I'm also a very invested Indie supporter, so there isn't a ton of indie games I don't own. Like I would not want to pay $40 to get Isaac, even if a new DLC, I rather get the $15 base on other platforms.

I know that the hardware is capable of like 3 distinct gaming modes, motion controls, handheld mode and traditional mode (includes TV/kickstand). I'm not seeing a ton of motion controlled games, and I am not seeing any hand held games. All of their big games are traditional games, even Fire Emblem was implied to be a console version. Unless they port a bunch of Wii games, I doubt we'll see extensive list of games using motion controls and we already saw 3DS continue to get the hand held games with FE Echos, and unless they have some games unannounced, there isn't any hand held games being made for it. So yeah I get that it is cool to get that traditional game on the go, but man 6.2" isn't that big.

Like you keep talking about these experiences you'll have while out and about or situations where you are handing people controllers, but name any game made specifically for that function? ARMS, and 1,2 Switch? Yeah ported games like Mario Kart would function well this way, but man we're still talking a 6.2" screen. I've played games on a much bigger iPad with multiple people playing at once, and it is really tough sharing 1 screen with 2 people playing unless its used like air hockey style. I just see your friends saying, "can you just hook it up to the TV", then you'll say my dock is at home. And since game experiences are better when docked, basically your packing your dock everywhere you go.

Like people with Wii U can play BotW/MK8/Splatton 1 in bed or the crapper. Meaning the only new experiences you're getting is if you take your Switch with you everywhere, which we know it isn't that portable, this isn't a 3DS that folds and goes in your pocket, but then the off chance you're at school or coffee shop, and your gamer friends wanting to play 1,2 Switch or ARMS instead of the games they are playing on their much more portable tablets and phones that they will have on them.

I am extremely more likely to run into someone with a 3DS and can play local co-op but with our own screens. Hell I'm more likely to pass someone with an iOS device where we could have play local co-op if their mobile games were built this way. I'm just not seeing how Switch really offers anything new, let alone doing something better that our more capable devices could do. It's just less cooler ways to do the same things their hardware already does, just crammed into 1 package. I feel they should have just improved the Wii U experience, and improved the 3DS, and made them 1 ecosystem using same game cards, same subscription, and same account.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

There is no right answer, because the value of portability is solely dependent on each person. Take Japan for example, portability is huge over there--that's why all the major franchises are on portable systems.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

@Sepewrath:This isn't a Game Boy, DS or 3DS, and it doesn't have the major titles that sold those devices, well it does have Tetris, but it doesn't have Pokemon, yet. I don't believe Kimishima will make any major mistakes like surely he'll strike with Pokemon during the "Back to School" part of the year, I mean he is too cool headed, and is just riding out Iwata's plan. Everything Switch and all concurrent games were all balls rolling. Based on Kimi's words, he seems to be doing what Disney did after getting Star Wars. I don't think anything is off the table with him, and I'm sure he'll make the correct choices. I personally think he is focusing on his own device already letting the "younger guys" be at forefront of Switch. I feel they are focusing on on it being a console with their marketing, so that when they release Kimishima's hand held, no one can do talking gymnastics with them.

Extra stuff I thought about:

PS4 has basically caught up to the 3DS in sales and even if Switch is gonna take til Christmas to have substantial numbers, and even if PS4 has half as less as 3DS in Japan (in total devices sold), I still see many Japanese devs moving development to PS4, not all, but some (we know SMT is getting a game). I already know if PS4 gets Monster Hunter exclusively, I know multiple people that wouldn't touch their 3DS again, I mean I know a couple people who solely bought 3DS just for Monster Hunter Generations.

A biggie is Dragon Quest 11. Do people buy on 3DS, Switch or PS4? I know plenty of people who love Japanese games, hence why a ton have PS4 friends and family, and even non Nintendo fans have 3DS (especially those who got it for MHG). My general principle is assuming people want to play this DQ11 game in a console setting, while Nintendo's whole "gimmick" is banking off people preferring to play it, or rather, don't mind playing it on a hand held.

I love my 3DS, and I love Monster Hunter Generations and Fire Emblem, and I did love playing indie games on the go in a compact device even though I get just as many on my iPad. When, or shall I say if I get a Switch, I totally plan to get FE, SMT and DQ11. But in any scenario they are on PS4 and Switch, I see myself picking PS4. We've already seen the comparisons and Switch isn't exactly playing with a full deck, but there is always the "well it plays on the go", which is where I'm focused at, like if DQ11 is the game I buy a new console for, do I get Switch or PS4. So it would really come down to each person.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@saltslasher: They're some solid, valid points, but I do think preference plays a part.

I have never been one of these people who have issue with small gaming controllers - I have always liked compact handheld game systems, so I am used to smaller buttons and no bells and whistles like grips and such. I know I don't have a Switch now, but I see myself being perfectly happy with the Joycons. A lot of people won't be that way, they will want the pro controller, so for them maybe that is a big negative because of the added cost. But for me, out of the box, the Switch will have what I want.

I'm not sure how gaming on a 6.2' screen will be, but again since I am used to small screens I suspect it will be amazing for me. I still remember playing Zelda on my GBC years ago, and I handed it to my friend to try, and his eyes hurt after a moment because it was so small for him to look at for too long. I am sure it would hinder games where you do split-screen. But then if you're playing something like Bomberman (a game where everything happens on one screen), or 2-player Arms or Mariokart, it probably wouldn't be so bad. If you wanted to play anything more than 2P, definitely you'd want other people to bring their own Switch so you can do a LAN type thing, so people don't have to share screens.

I also guess I'm still of the mindset that the Switch will eventually be touted as the replacement to both the Wii-U and the 3DS, probably once the system has an established game library and kind of proves its success to the company. It might not be a stretch to say Nintendo will eventually release a 'Mini-Switch' as some others have suggested here, with a different design and a smaller form factor, and with less features. That would enable younger children or whoever to continue to have a handheld system to take with them that isn't bulky and overly expensive. And it would still enable Nintendo to make a single game cartridge for both kinds of devices.

On another note, I'd have to say I agree about your comments on Kimishima. It seems like he is more or less letting the younger team members take control of things, but is also maybe a bit more open to business that Nintendo never would have considered before. I like your thought that he may be making future plans behind the scenes.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

@saltslasher: Its highly unlikely that there will be a portable in the near future, unless the Switch outright bombs. Switch is clearly being positioned as a replacement for both sides of their hardware. As far as the franchises go, its just a numbers game. Once the Switch moves enough units for Nintendo to feel they can force the issue--things like Pokemon will be on Switch to force those fans to pick up the hardware. As far as Monster Hunter goes, it will NEVER be a PS4 exclusive, like ever. The attach rate of Monster Hunter on consoles is crap, hence the reason it was moved to handhelds where it founds its stride and therefore home. No console has ever sold more than PS2, but the series dropped PS2 in favor of the PSP with much fewer systems out there because of the much higher attach rate. Monster Hunter will be on Switch or stay on 3DS, it will not be on PS4, that is a guarantee.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

@Sepewrath: Yeah those are sentiments I once believed, and I'm sure the rumors I've heard are more aligned with the Half Life 3 kind. I just can't imagine Nintendo having 1 machine for next 3-4 years. I mean how many iterations did 3DS see, original, XL, New 3DS, and about a dozen of so customs versions per.

I find it hard to believe that Nintendo would abandon the cash cow of 3DS, I mean why put Pokemon Sun/Moon on it, and not Switch? Cause they didn't want to miss out on the 10 million units sold. They've already set it up so majority of 3DS owners won't move to Switch, I still have so much more to get out of mine and I don't even have the new one. FE Echos and Pikmin alone is enough new exclusive titles this year, except its still getting DQ11, Poochy, and likely other console ports. Even if it had none of that, Pokemon Sun/Moon users will keep 3DS alive into 2018.

My prediction is, 2018 investors meeting they announce an upcoming handheld. and keep the dual screens with the 3DS card slot. All I truly wished for, was the same 3DS continuing to get same support from everyone, just get me better graphics, better screen and dual joysticks. If a 3DS-like machine gets that, Japanese people will not buy Switch. And since Kimishima himself was quoted saying something like a new hand held isn't out of the question, I'm inclined to trust my gut, and not invest in Switch day 1.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5246 Posts

I really do not think that portability is over-rated. I feel that among Western gamers, dedicated handheld systems are under-appreciated as if they are devices intended for children. At least in Japan, the stigmas of handheld gaming found in the West is not there. I would like to see the stigmas of handheld gaming in the West disappear, and I had to wonder whether the Switch help this. The stigmas often associated with console gaming are almost non-existence due to gaming becoming a mainstream hobby.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#13 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Why do people act like a company who dominates in the handheld console market isn't going to prioritize portability?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@saltslasher: The Switch is being built for the long-term. Why else would they give the thing forward-thinking maximum storage spaces of 2TB?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-has-expandable-memory-supports-big/1100-6446964/

There will probably be some improved versions or whatever released one day, or maybe a VR device, but I have a good feeling that you can buy a launch Switch, and you won't be missing out on anything too major for the long haul.

Nintendo didn't put Sun/Moon on the Switch because they didn't develop it for the Switch. There were rumors circulating that they could port the game to the Switch, or some new version of it. Personally, I'd rather they just make a Pokemon game from the ground up for the Switch, since the 3DS was probably a lot more restrictive to develop for.

The 3DS will be getting new games through this year. I suspect 2017 will be the last major year for 3DS game releases though. Nintendo will want to focus more of its energy on Switch development.

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

Avoiding a novel, no.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@onesiphorus said:

I really do not think that portability is over-rated. I feel that among Western gamers, dedicated handheld systems are under-appreciated as if they are devices intended for children. At least in Japan, the stigmas of handheld gaming found in the West is not there. I would like to see the stigmas of handheld gaming in the West disappear, and I had to wonder whether the Switch help this. The stigmas often associated with console gaming are almost non-existence due to gaming becoming a mainstream hobby.

I couldn't agree more. People walk around like idiots looking at their damn smartphones all day, but they act like I'm weird if I want to own a dedicated handheld game system. Hopefully the Switch pulverizes this dumb stigma once and for all!

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

To me, the portability is one of the main reasons I am so hyped for the Switch:

• Here at the company I work, I showed a co-worker what gaming is. We meet from time to time to play some MK8. The possibility to play it with him here during lunch or after work is fantastic.
  • Another co-worker has Bomberman tournaments on a regular basis at his home, playing some old version that allowed like 16 (I think players). Being able to play a round of Bomberman during lunch or after work is exciting.
  • Back when I lived with my parents, when we had a family meeting, my room was used almost all the time for games like Nintendo land, Singstar etc. That ended when I moved out. Now I can easily take the entertainment with me.
  • About a month ago a friend (and non-gamer) asked me what I would suggest someone who's new to gaming. I told him to wait for the Switch, I'll go over to him showing him the device and I'm sure he'll enjoy it.
  • I already know I will love to play it in the train, plane or hotel. Just like I used my Vita and 3DS up until now.
RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

@sayyy-gaa said:
@outworld222 said:

Not at all.

I like handhelds and go on trains for long hours daily. If the Switch isn't up to the 3DS battery-life? To me, it's inferior_

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By outworld222  Online
Member since 2004 • 4219 Posts

@RSM-HQ Yes. I find the bigger screen and the very fact that you can connect to a tv, those two factors, all the more reason why it's better for a home setting.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Not in the slightest. As someone with nearly 4 hours of commute each day, being away for at least 12 hours a day and spending time with the wife after, if and when she doesn't have evening or night shifts, makes the portability of the Switch the best thing about the system.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

I'm not gonna read all your post, since I find the question weird.

@saltslasher said:

Nintendo believes we all want to play our console games the way we play our hand held games. Which isn't fully true and I wonder how many people would have chosen an alternate path than the one they specifically chose.

No, they don't. They believe giving us the option to is nice. Which it is.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

Portability is overrated depending on you. In Japan, it's a BIG deal because they spend a lot of time on public transit there, so if you're spending a couple of hours in transit every day, a dedicated portable gaming device makes more sense than it does in the U.S. where most people drive to work.

We still have some cities, like NYC, where I think Switch could do extremely well.

MireiIle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23 MireiIle
Member since 2017 • 51 Posts

I think it's nice to have those console games on the go for say a long trip on a bus or train, or perhaps a trip where you might not have access to a TV but you might to a power source. However, I think you're right about it being difficult to enjoy "console games" while mobile-heck, I tried playing Smash 3DS while walking to my local grocery store, and could hardly concentrate on the fight! It felt really awkward.

wolfpup7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wolfpup7
Member since 2004 • 1933 Posts

@saltslasher: I do not for a second buy into this idea of "mobile" games thing. Good games are good games, and the portable consoles have ALWAYS had real, full games, and continue to do so. Most "mobile" stuff is garbage that's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY sub-NES level.

The only issue with portable games is they should have good save systems and sleep systems, but then ALL games should have that anyway.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

The Switchy is a replacement for 3DS...they are just waiting to see if Switchy sells well enough by their expectation...if it does sell well...get ready for drop in 3DS support. Nintendo will eventually move away from 3DS & focus just solely on Switchy. Wii U flop hit them hard..they know this..they realise they can't support 2 systems by themselves...this is why Switchy is a hybrid (yes you can bring up the old statement by Iwata saying their next console after Wii U won't be a hybrid) except that reality it is..& it is here. Kimishima/Nintendo will say whatever..to not disrupt 3DS sales, just like when DS was announce as 3rd pillar stuff.

Portability is not for me, but in Japan its really popular ...so if Switchy sell takes off in Japan..you can be sure 3DS will starting losing support. :P

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

For me personally, portability isn't something I desire... I play all of my games at home, usually on my TV.

But is it overrated in general, no way. The idea of the Switch is definitely cool.

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

Flying out on 3/4 so plan on trying out my Switch in portable. I may buy a portable charger before then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

You know it was nice to come here and see how very sane you people are and that you took me seriously. I swear you get shunned for even questioning Nintendo. I love my 3DS the way it is and I don't have to like Nintendo or what it does. I would just as assume buy Wii U or keep my 3DS than Switch. I've talked to people who say based on my scenario, I would not get the Wii U pad to work in the 3 rooms I would desire, so the fact that Switch is getting some major U games, it makes it a bonus to me.

Meaning, right now my 3DS gives me what I want and eventually only Switch could replace it, yeah my iPad plays some serious gaming, and even new Nintendo apps, but if Switch gets the Japanese exclusives that 3DS got, then bam. The Switch Hardware is 100% what I wanted for my 3DS successor, I literally wished for a Tegra, 720 screens and dual analog joysticks. I just thought I'd get it in the DS/3DS form factor with the same type of 40$ games. Upcoming 3DS, FE Echos, Mario Super Stars, DQ11 and Pikmin. I am happy if these are 3DS's swan songs and last of their games. I don't even known if my non-new 3DS works with it. I know why I love my 3DS, and the reasons can easily be transferred to Switch. Its just a matter of time and whether it is what Nintendo wants to do. The worst thing that can happen, I get PS4 and beat Persona 5, buy a Switch, played SMT, and then 3DS gets an actual successor.

Unlike the day I made this thread, today, I'm done analyzing what Switch can, and can't do, and done talking about the console implications or whether I even want Nintendo console games. I know exactly what it's capable of and know what needs it fills for me, and those needs are the same my 3DS covers, it isn't a necessity, but its a luxury I want to keep. I don't know what others are or what they need, but I have great PC's, and will get PS4 for Persona 5 before I ever get a Switch. Had it replaced my iPad like I wanted, then it would be a different story, and since it can't replace my Xbox as a media streamer, well, means I have little use for Switch, yet. Netflix, Browser, Pokemon, etc. these are things easily added to persuade me. Till then, or the killer JRPG's come, I'm content being on the 3DS side of Nintendo, and will upgrade when forced, of course Monster Hunter XX or a new Monster Hunter exclusive, would be game over.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

SaltSlasher was brought up by Native Americans, and portable consoles were thusly very imporant part of his childhood.

-back then, teepees had no power, you see.

It's very different these days; you step into a teepee, and you see a 40" telly with 9.2 sound system hooked up to it.

Times change, eh, SaltSlasher?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

@henrythefifth: I use to like playing anything on any Nintendo console, then Wii happened. The only games I remember getting for Nintendo handhelds were Pokemon.

Right now, I'm still playing my Wii with its VC and 3DS. To me, with their combined BC of DS/GC, I'm still good to go. Yet pouty mofos selling their Wii U's for Switch and telling me I don't know what a good video game is and it ain't about the graphics. Yet majority of early Switch is stuff you can just get on your Wii U.

I'm the bad guy for not wanting Switch, and the more "noble/loyal" Nintendo fans are ready now. I just think it is funny that the Wii U owners who badly want Switch, is mostly cause of how much more functional the hardware is than Wii U. These purists are likely the ones mad dogging the rest of us questioning that functionality, when really I'm doing the exact same thing every purist is doing, only difference I feel 3DS is still adequate, I mean it does a lot of the same stuff.

------

Honestly, I don't feel Nintendo has proven beyond reasonable doubt that Switch is better than 3DS. Like I can go play Zelda on the crapper, I can go to the library and playing MK7 with other people, and I'm gonna get FE a hell of a lot sooner. Plus I have a brand new Pokemon game, which is the #1 reason I bought 3DS (for X/Y years ago). Yes I bought Wii for Zelda, so yes I would buy Switch for Zelda, but when I got Wii I didn't have a gamecube, had I, I likely would have taken years to get Wii (cause I spent more time during Wii's gen playing GC games over Wii games).

So I canceled my preorder, but kept my Zelda SE preorder. Still, I'm fine, I'll likely get my hookup to hold one for me, that way I get some discount.

My biggest fear, is I force myself to buy Switch, get that feeling of overpaying for stuff (which I hate), and then I get it home and Zelda isn't the greatest thing I've ever played and was totally wasn't worth the wait, and then I legit get mad at Nintendo. Right now I'm upset, wounds heal, but hating your purchase, and I'll get buyers remorse and wish I just used the money for a 2 in 1 laptop or a PS4 Pro. A 2 in 1 which basically does the exact same thing but with Steam anywhere I want. And PS4 Pro which has just as good open world games, if not better, but insane amount of exclusivity.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

What worries me most about Switch is that they are bringing too many remasters from WiiU&3DS to it.

And if you have 3DS, and who doesn't, then youre hardly gonna buy Switch for portable Mario Kart...

Besides of which, the Mario Kart on 3DS is 3D, so it's way ahead of whatever Switch can add to it.

SAme with other remasters. I dont think they add value to Switch. They should concentrate on making new and unique titles, not remasters.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

The Switch being basically a portable is the main reason I want it lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

@Epak_: I know. The only thing that separates it besides extremely under-powered for a new piece of tech in 2017, is that it is portable.

I was implying that this portability is over-rated, like do you really want your console games portable on something so under-powered and with such a limited battery? I'm afraid you need brightness at max to even see a game like Zelda outside. But Xbox/PS4 AAA games like SKyrim, they will likely kill Switch's batter faster than Zelda. Their 3 hour rating we have no clue what the brightness is, and in 1 year, god knows how fast the big new games drain the battery.

I know people get mad, but you can easily get a laptop, get console gaming on the go, even with the 2 in 1 or Surface Pro-like devices, all these machines you can prop it up in any place you can put a Switch, and you have access to 10,000+ Indies that went through Steam's Greenlight (where almost all indies come from), including PC games the most amount of exclusives, all of Microsoft's Xbox games (via Windows 10) starting with Forza Horizon 3 (including crossbuy with Xbox), and since they are touch screen, you can play all your Android games on it, I.E. you can still play stuff while in your hands.

Like if you wanted to meet up at the library, school or a friends house, and all play a Console game together without needing to setup anything, well all your Switch's will die in a couple hours of play. With laptops everyone can have their own backup batteries, enough to play all night.

I just don't get why people feel Switch is only thing giving them what they want, Smach-Z is basically what Switch is, but offers Steam. And if you're like "well I want Nintendo games", well how many VC and 3DS games did you beat? I've had classic console gaming on the go with my iPad which has Final Fantasy 1 through 9 among other classics. And our 3DS's have the database worth of games, and Backwards Compatibility with DS, NES and SNES, including Indies that Switch is geting. Why not play the big console games on a PS4/PC, and then use your 3DS for the more on the go experiences. THEN, when Nintendo actually has 3-5 major releases, like BotW, Splatoon 2, Mario Odseey, etc. then jump into Switch with zero doubts on what it can do?

I am telling you, if you are outside your house, games like Skyrim are things you don't just want to set down real quick and jump back in forth into it. Yeah you can pause in the middle of Giant and Mammoth fight, and maybe you don't mind playing for little bits at a time, but some games require your attention and juggling a ton of thigns. Even Fire Emblem a game I can jump in and out of with ease, I have a notebooks worth of info I need to play, cause complex games require you setup and focusing. Like how you gonna take notes. I.E. I don't even take my 3DS on the go, and when I do I end up playing VC/Indies on friends/family couches. Also, for people out and about who need portability, to keep that battery alive you need your car charger, and hour in the morning at coffee/gym, breaks and lunch, after work playing at friends, etc.. Well most Japanese who like portability likely don't drive, but take trains and bikes, I fear battery life for them. Hell I fear the average person not actually enjoying these big AAA titles on the go in the way they think they will.

HOWEVER, everyone wants to play their console games anywhere in their house. What Nintendo should have done is improved the Wii U tablet, or built a new 3DS handheld that allows you to stream your Nintendo Console games to it (like how I can stream Xbox to my PC, which works rather well). And real innovation would have been, if you go to anyone's house with a new Nintendo console, the new handhelds can be streamed to it. Hell Street Pass concept was genius, and you're more likely to find people with 3DS, than Switch. It just feels like there was dozen different routes to go, and they picked an odd choice. I feel they should have focused on 3DS and making the big new handheld, instead they spliced 3DS with Wii U, and made a monster. My only real thing I'm upset about, is where the hell is all the hand held games. Like Kirby Roboto, Pokemon, New Leaf, Sonic Boom and stuff. Nothing like this is confirmed from Nintendo themselves

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#34 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

To me yes, its overrated. I plays my 3ds at home because its practical. Wonder how people can play games outside. I mean you are outside, you should be doing stuff people normally do. I mean when is the time to play that thing, you drive to a location, you interact, you go home.

.....Welp unless you are still a kid waiting for your mom to finish shopping or going to their friends house and you got no one to interact with. Seen lots of kids brings their 3ds/vita when their family goes shopping.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@drrollinstein said:

Avoiding a novel, no.

I couldn't avoid it, in fact, I didn't even read his answer to me, **** I'm tired :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

@sakaixx:Yeah I love my 3DS so much. Its perfect in every way. Game Boy SP, DS and 3DS, the 3 best hand helds ever made all fold up. Its practical portability. 3DS didn't need to turn into the Switch, it was Wii's that needed to turn into a 3DS. Seems like I'm sacrifing a lot as a hand held owners just so Nintendo can cater to their console gaming that I literally had no interest in this era.

People do whatever to say that 3DS people can easily just use the Switch, but its usually babble. People with 3DS are just happy the way things are. We just got big games, and still got 2 great releases. If I travel, I rarely play in the car and if I do I watch movies, and I'm 100% more likely to hookup the PS2 Slim for DVD/Load movies on my tablet, than play games in the car. Once in the hotel room the 3DS is perfect, once at someones house the 3DS is perfect. I mean its the way of living since the SP and DS, we don't want to change to plain old tablet. If I wanted to carry a tablet, I'd take my iPad.

The major things Switch does that I wanted for 3DS is the better online and no friend codes and defrag the entire system, so VC is 1 big purchase to the account, not this bullcrap where last gen purchases don't transfer, nor between devices.

The biggest problem is, there is zero 3DS-like games. That quote said the 3DS team is still separate but will make games for Switch, but I see none. So once we see the 3DS team start making games, then it will be worth upgrading from 3DS.