Is Pokemon X/Y going to be your first Pokemon game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I'm 29. I've lived through every Pokemon game and never cared enough beyond renting Gold and shrugging.

But something about X/Y is pulling me in. The reviews certainly help, but other Pokemon games have been reviewed well and I never cared. Two things come to mind:

1. Less grinding. Grinding sucks unless the battle system is amazing, and even then, I just don't have the time for time-consuming manual labor in games.

2. Puzzle and Dragons. That may be a non sequitur to some people, but I've been playing Puzzle and Dragons for several weeks now and love building and evolving my monsters. It's incredibly addicting. But Puzzle and Dragons is built within a free-to-play model that grinds to a crawl unless you pay money. Pokemon won't have that. It'll scratch the itch that Puzzle and Dragons used to but can't any more.

I get the feeling that a lot of Pokemon virgins are getting X/Y. It sort of feels like the build-up to Fire Emblem Awakening, except I was on the other side of that one, having been a casual fan for a few years prior to Awakening's release. And obviously Fire Emblem is just a little bit less popular than Pokemon.

So if this is your first Pokemon game, what is it about this one that gets you excited?

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

I'm the opposite.

I've played mostly all the Pokemon games since Red and Blue. I missed out on Ruby and Sapphire on the GBA and I didn't feel compelled enough to play Pokemon Black 2. However, I haven't been this excited for a new Pokemon game since Silver and Gold, so I guess that says something about the route the series is taking now with the new improvements.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#3 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

I've played the first 2 gens when they came out.

Didn't get back on Pokemon until 2009. I've since played Emerald and ruby on 3rd gen, and Platinum for 4th gen.

Haven't played 5th gen yet and I don't even have a 3ds to play 6th. Pokemon X/Y look really awesome, and I do wish I had a 3ds

TopStarRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 TopStarRacer
Member since 2010 • 5732 Posts

I've been playing the games since 2004, generations 3-5 so no they won't. They are, however, my most hyped games since Diamond/Pearl. :D

gamefan606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 gamefan606
Member since 2005 • 3930 Posts

Playing since Gen II. Owned at least a game from each generation except 5. My brother owns Black and Black 2 so I didn't really miss out on much. Definitely excited about X and Y though. He'll be getting Y and I'll be getting a copy of Pokémon X. My grades will suffer this semester...

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

It certainly seems like X & Y are attracting a bunch of fans. Either new, old, or current. If feels great. :)

DJSAV_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DJSAV_101
Member since 2008 • 3701 Posts

I started playing Pokemon when I was 8 (got a blue gameboy pocket and pokemon blue for christmas) and I was not too excited for X & Y at first. Last game I played was Black 2 and I only got through 4 gyms before I just forgot about it. Then I found out some of my friends were getting it and that there was less of a grind now so I am a bit more excited for it.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I started with Red, which I loved, and played the series through until Ruby, which I disliked. I later tried Platinum and enjoyed it and have been playing it ever since. I got my copy of X yesterday, and have been playing it nonstop.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#9 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

The only ones I did not play were Black and White 2.That's pretty awesome! I felt Nintendo milked the cow a little bit too much with the release of those two versions.

But I will absolutely get X/Y. Just not right now because I have a bunch of Wii U games to play.

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 moltenix
Member since 2008 • 2487 Posts

I've played every Generation of Pokemon and have enjoyed every one of them.

I have been noticing a lot of people that skipped either Gen 4/5 or both are jumping on board with XY. The addition of mega-evolutions for the older Pokemon is probably aiding that too. The improved and streamlined presentation certainly helps with attracting newcomers as well.

Also, the new Super Training makes EVs much more accessible to casual players. You can now completely reset EVs and can gain them through mini-games instead of running around killing the same Pokemon over and over. It's even unlocked right from the very beginning.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I have only played Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, which I really enjoyed. I went ahead and put a pre order down on Pokemon X.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JordanElek

@moltenix said:

I have been noticing a lot of people that skipped either Gen 4/5 or both are jumping on board with XY.

Yeah, now that I think about it, there are probably more forum-goers who are returning to the series with X/Y than coming to it for the first time.

But I have to believe there are others around my age who were just a little outside the demographic range when the first game came out and are interested now.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#13 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

Played every single game and will continue the trend with Y. Series has gone downhill in my opinion but the battle system in B/W was superb and I'm quite excited for this generation of Pokemon.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I played Red, Yellow, Gold, Crystal, Platinum, Heartgold, Black, and White.

I preordered X.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#15  Edited By pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

@moltenix said:

I have been noticing a lot of people that skipped either Gen 4/5 or both are jumping on board with XY. The addition of mega-evolutions for the older Pokemon is probably aiding that too. The improved and streamlined presentation certainly helps with attracting newcomers as well.

I assume it has a lot to do with the presentation.

It makes it clear that this new gen has taken some considerable steps in changing the series. It is certainly the biggest leap since Diamond and Pearl and their online features.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@JordanElek said:

I have to believe there are others around my age who were just a little outside the demographic range when the first game came out and are interested now.

By that you mean Pokemon is aimed at kids?

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JordanElek
@Jaysonguy said:

@JordanElek said:

I have to believe there are others around my age who were just a little outside the demographic range when the first game came out and are interested now.

I was 14 when Red/Blue came out. I was way too cool for pocket monsters and trading cards, too busy theorizing about Dragonball Z with my friends at lunch.

Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

If you didn't like past Pokemon games, you probably won't like the new ones. They're all the same concept, just with slightly modified features.

Hopefully things might be different for you.

As for me, X/Y was going to be the one Pokemon game I skipped out on, but my boyfriend wants to get it for me and my friends hyping about it all the time is making me curious enough for the midnight release. :x

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

@JordanElek said:
@Jaysonguy said:

@JordanElek said:

I was 14 when Red/Blue came out. I was way too cool for pocket monsters and trading cards, too busy theorizing about Dragonball Z with my friends at lunch.

true story. pokemon is for babies! =P

Can't wait for pokemon Y!!!

Avatar image for SpawnHellraiser
SpawnHellraiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SpawnHellraiser
Member since 2005 • 4946 Posts

Pokemon x/y will be my first Pokemon game ever. I never played the cards, never played the games and watched very few episodes of the anime show. Looking forward to it.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JordanElek

@SpawnHellraiser said:

Pokemon x/y will be my first Pokemon game ever. I never played the cards, never played the games and watched very few episodes of the anime show. Looking forward to it.

Why this one?

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 starwarsjunky

this will only be like my 2nd or 3rd, depending how you look at it. still stoked for it!

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 starwarsjunky

@Yoweeh said:

If you didn't like past Pokemon games, you probably won't like the new ones. They're all the same concept, just with slightly modified features.

Hopefully things might be different for you.

As for me, X/Y was going to be the one Pokemon game I skipped out on, but my boyfriend wants to get it for me and my friends hyping about it all the time is making me curious enough for the midnight release. :x

fwiw, they seemed to have made more changes than most. I just hope it lives up to the hype...

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#24  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

No, but it's probably going to be the first one I get to finish.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Nope. Played through them all. Liked all of them except had a little bit of a hard time finishing Gen 4. That game just wasn't for me like the others were I guess.

So far I've played the crap out of RBY and GS the most. BW is certainly up there though, so I haven't really lost my enthusiasm that much.

Neo_Ike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Neo_Ike
Member since 2007 • 10682 Posts

Not the first one I'll play and probably the only one I'm considering to buy due to peer pressure. the poke bank thing is the annoying factor that will inevitably determine if it ends up being a purchase for me.

Avatar image for SpawnHellraiser
SpawnHellraiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SpawnHellraiser
Member since 2005 • 4946 Posts

@JordanElek: mainly because my friends are getting it and they said they wanted me to play with them. I never was into Pokemon but I'll give it the college try. :-)

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

The only Pokemon games I've played were Red and Black. I don't think I've ever been this excited for a Pokemon game...ever, btw I'm 27.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

I've played and completed them all except for my unfinished copy of Black 2. I haven't been this excited about a Pokemon game since Gold came out during my middle school days.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

Still playing through Heart gold. I may pick up Y in a couple of months.