I despise the WiiU but will ultimately buy one soon...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by IncisionX (200 posts) -

Hey folks o/

This isn't intended as a console war so do not worry :D

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone else is in my position - I despise the WiiU to an extent..I think that for a next gen console it's weak, controllers aren't as great as there rivals and the online limitations in comparison are poor BUT! I will buy one soon;

Why? Too many amazing games.. Donkey Kong, Smash bros, Mario, Zelda, Sonic etc etc there's just too many games to keep a gamer away!

I still think it's a shame that they didn't really push the boat out with the WiiU hardware wise but you cannot argue the software, it's an incredible line up.

Thoughts?

//IncisionX

#2 Edited by JordanElek (18551 posts) -

It'll win you over once you use it. I've found that a lot of the information out there is just old... it seems like some people played the WiiU a bit at launch and haven't touched it since the major firmware updates. The eShop has the best interface of any console digital store, Miiverse is fun to interact with, even Nintendo TVii is vastly improved since it was first implemented.

For the types of games you're going to play on the WiiU, it doesn't need to be a graphical powerhouse with the newest tech. The games still look fantastic.

#3 Edited by bulby_g (1847 posts) -

As long as I get my Nintendo exclusives in reasonable HD graphics I'm happy to be honest. Got my PC for the cutting edge shizzle. A bit more power wouldn't have gone amiss I guess but the sort of games Nintendo make look good enough on it. I love the control pad too.

Definitely the games that I really don't want to miss out on that drew me to the console though.

#4 Edited by Jaysonguy (39150 posts) -

Long list of games?

Are you from the future?

Well then again you only listed five games so I guess if that's a lot to you it's ok.

#5 Posted by Grieverr (2827 posts) -

I really like my Wii U. Despite what we wish it could've been, I don't hate it. It's a good secondary console with a decent library. It's easy enough to rack up Club Nintendo points which I use to redeem Virtual Console games. And it plays Wii games, which there are a few that i think are worth holding on to.

There are some good bundles out there, which I think soften the blow of buying a Wii U.

#6 Edited by _HazBro_ (125 posts) -

I like the Wii U too and I'm finding it difficult to keep up with the games coming out. I haven't got the time to play games as regularly anymore, but I have a pretty big backlog of games that will last me a while. I think I own about 6 or 7 titles already which is pretty good.

#7 Posted by Neonakaa (90 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: Troll attempt... TOO OBVIOUS... (death sound i guess)

#8 Edited by Jaysonguy (39150 posts) -

@neonakaa said:

No, facts

The Wii U is at best a secondary console right now.

#9 Edited by IncisionX (200 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

Long list of games?

Are you from the future?

Well then again you only listed five games so I guess if that's a lot to you it's ok.

Don't know about you but I work full time etc so five games tend to last me a while + the Eshop has some classics but each to their own eh :)

#10 Edited by Ovirew (7327 posts) -

@IncisionX: I'm really kind of in the same boat as you. The Wii-U as console hardware did not initially seem desirable to me, and early on it didn't seem like it had many great games. But since games like Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101 and Super Mario 3D World came out for it, to name a few, I've found myself more interested in the system. I think as more good games come out it will become a decent game console. Already I'm kind of thinking about one day buying a Wii-U, since it has some fun and unique games and I feel like I may enjoy Nintendo's direction with console games more than with the other guys.

Of course, I don't think the Wii-U is in the cards for me just yet. I have things I want to do this year, places I want to go. I can't really be thinking about another console purchase right now. I also already own a 3DS and a PS4. I hardly touch the PS4 right now and I need time to see if it will have any games I really want to play. I might already have more games than I have time for with the 3DS.

There's also the occasional doom and gloom talk about Nintendo, and their failures with the Wii-U. Nintendo has made mistakes and probably hasn't made the best game console they probably could have. The company is in a somewhat difficult position right now, and they need to find ways to keep the Nintendo brand relevant in a world where the game industry is becoming a shark-tank of big-budget graphics and app games. If you buy the Wii-U, or even the 3DS, you should probably do it for the games that are currently out and not just for the promise of what could eventually be on the system.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
#11 Edited by deactivated-57d8401f17c55 (7221 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@neonakaa said:

No, facts

Wonderful 101, DK tropical freeze and Pikmin 3 makes Wii U worth the purchase alone. Easily, plus you can play all Wii games too, no need to keep the Wii around.

#12 Posted by 19James89 (30 posts) -

I own a Wii U and I do like it, but I would hold off purchasing one until there is a larger selection of games available for the system. One of my major annoyance's with the Wii U has been the game droughts and the continued broken promises surrounding it i.e. no more game droughts happening.

The Wii U Gamepad again is not a bad peripheral, I do prefer the standard Pro controller due to the Gamepad's poor battery life and the fact that out of 12 games I own, only three of those games really utilise the Gamepad in a fun and innovative way.

I understood the reason behind the Wii-motes, they were an essential part of the Wii experience and were utilised by every single developer that developed games for the Wii, but the tablet controller feels like a forced peripheral which hasn't lived up to its potential as of yet.

#14 Posted by KBFloYd (15717 posts) -

mario 3d world and donkey kong tropical freeze at 1080p 60fps....would be the exact same experience...

theres no reason for all that power....only 3rd parties care about that....and even with the power 3rd psarties still wouldnt put their games on nintendo...and nintendo would be taking a bigger loss on hardware.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
#17 Posted by deactivated-57d8401f17c55 (7221 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: Jayson is a parody and I like playing along :p

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

I mean, the Wii U running ps4/Xbox One games just isn't really a possibility without downgrading the graphics. Optimization counts for a lot, but it won't magically give the Wii U 8GB of RAM and a modern graphics card... Those hurdles it won't get over.

However, the Wii U is exactly who powerful Nintendo needs it to be. As far as the first party content goes, the Wii U is perfectly constructed to make Nintendo's unrealistic games sing.

But the kinds of realistic games that the ps4's best is going to offer won't be possible on the console. With that said, as a Nintendo gamer, I really don't care. Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong are absolutely stunning, and I can't find anything to complain about on that front.

It took a programmer at Criterion games just 10 minutes to implement the PC version's textures and some additional effects over the last gen versions of Need for speed, and the game still runs better. Plus they added new night time lighting to the game, which is quite good. I say this to highlight just how little effort is being made with Wii U's ports. If good effort was made, I would bet that Wii U could run pretty much any game on the other new consoles if it were 720p and 30fps. Not every game though.

Also Nintendo's games right now are just the tip of the iceberg, good as they look. They had to catch up from their Wii days after all. The next batch of games should be stunning by any standard

#19 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -

Cross platform discussion is not allowed in this forum, as per the floated rules thread. This forum is for Nintendo products and games only. Cross Platform talk goes to either System Wars (if you like it with fanboy flavoring) or Games Discussion.

#20 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2938 posts) -

@Chozofication said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: Jayson is a parody and I like playing along :p

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

I mean, the Wii U running ps4/Xbox One games just isn't really a possibility without downgrading the graphics. Optimization counts for a lot, but it won't magically give the Wii U 8GB of RAM and a modern graphics card... Those hurdles it won't get over.

However, the Wii U is exactly who powerful Nintendo needs it to be. As far as the first party content goes, the Wii U is perfectly constructed to make Nintendo's unrealistic games sing.

But the kinds of realistic games that the ps4's best is going to offer won't be possible on the console. With that said, as a Nintendo gamer, I really don't care. Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong are absolutely stunning, and I can't find anything to complain about on that front.

It took a programmer at Criterion games just 10 minutes to implement the PC version's textures and some additional effects over the last gen versions of Need for speed, and the game still runs better. Plus they added new night time lighting to the game, which is quite good. I say this to highlight just how little effort is being made with Wii U's ports. If good effort was made, I would bet that Wii U could run pretty much any game on the other new consoles if it were 720p and 30fps. Not every game though.

Also Nintendo's games right now are just the tip of the iceberg, good as they look. They had to catch up from their Wii days after all. The next batch of games should be stunning by any standard

Of course, that's because Need for Speed was a game designed for Xbox 360 and ps3, and while the PC version of course looked better than those two versions -- the Wii U looking better than that -- that's a large difference than what the ps4 and Xbox One will be capable of.

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: You don't honestly think that the PS4 uses all 8GB of ram for games do you? Like seriously? Not even a PC game uses that much. It uses 2GB. And yes the graphics would be downscaled if a game was put on Wii U...render distance maybe and such. But it would NOT be as noticeable as the Wii and PS3 for example lol.

And of course, games aren't using all 8 GB of RAM, but the fact remains that it's there, and it has the potential to be used. I believe it was stated that Killzone was using 4 GB of system memory.

And yes, the margin isn't nearly as substantial as the Wii was compared to the competition, Nintendo's first party offerings are showing that much -- Pikmin 3 was absolutely stunning... And while I wouldn't necessarily call it underpowered, its definitely not on the same level as the other two consoles.

Optimization is obviously an important part of game development, but it's not the only thing that's keeping the Wii U from performing at the level of the competition. And with that said, it won't end up mattering, seeing that exclusive titles will take advantage of the hardware well enough that it won't be an issue. Nintendo's first party games have all looked stunning on the Wii U. I'm looking forward to seeing what they're doing with Zelda this year.

#21 Posted by Glitter (355 posts) -

I am in your position, only I cannot risk purchasing a console from a company that keeps making the same mistakes over and over and does not know what they are doing, nor do they possibly even know what their mistakes are. Plus Nintendo consoles in general do not last that long, the GameCube only lasted from 2001 to 2006 for example, but I guess the GameCube be a bad example regarding this. But anyways, Nintendo may end up wasting time each year with the Wii U and then just release their next console, so I will just sit this one out; it isn't worth it. I like the games for the Wii U as of now, over the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. But I can see many Japanese exclusives I want as well, never coming over and they will be unplayable due to region locking or if I just prefer to play the game in Japanese, as many North American versions of games are not going to be multilingual for Japanese and it would requiring importing, only region locking comes into play; but this is more of a person problem I have with Nintendo.

I do not see the other consoles as worth it either, so I will probably just continue with playing games for the Super Famicom or what ever else I want to bother with. The controller also kills it for me, I could never see myself enjoying games with a non-traditional type controller.

#22 Edited by KBFloYd (15717 posts) -

@glitter said:

I am in your position, only I cannot risk purchasing a console from a company that keeps making the same mistakes over and over and does not know what they are doing, nor do they possibly even know what their mistakes are. Plus Nintendo consoles in general do not last that long, the GameCube only lasted from 2001 to 2006 for example, but I guess the GameCube be a bad example regarding this. But anyways, Nintendo may end up wasting time each year with the Wii U and then just release their next console, so I will just sit this one out; it isn't worth it. I like the games for the Wii U as of now, over the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. But I can see many Japanese exclusives I want as well, never coming over and they will be unplayable due to region locking or if I just prefer to play the game in Japanese, as many North American versions of games are not going to be multilingual for Japanese and it would requiring importing, only region locking comes into play; but this is more of a person problem I have with Nintendo.

I do not see the other consoles as worth it either, so I will probably just continue with playing games for the Super Famicom or what ever else I want to bother with. The controller also kills it for me, I could never see myself enjoying games with a non-traditional type controller.

the gamepad is a tradional controller with a screen lol

you people are so stubborn.

#23 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4325 posts) -

It's plenty worth it. I'm pretty sure after awhile you'll fall in love with the gamepad. It's actually really great. And there are quite a few great games on it right now and coming in the future.

#24 Edited by Ovirew (7327 posts) -

I went to a different Gamestop a few minutes away from town the other week, and they had a Wii-U kiosk there. I was starting to mess around with it and was going to try out a demo of the Wonderful 101, but I was kind of in a rush and didn't have time to start the demo. It was unfortunate, I'd kind of like to go back later this week and take it for a spin.

One thing I will say, I did feel a bit more optimistic about the Wii-U gamepad after holding it and using it for a moment. Hopefully at least Nintendo is finding ways to make good use of it. How long does the battery typically last? I hear that complaint a lot. Can you just leave it hooked up wired?

#25 Posted by superbuuman (4726 posts) -

@Ovirew said:

I went to a different Gamestop a few minutes away from town the other week, and they had a Wii-U kiosk there. I was starting to mess around with it and was going to try out a demo of the Wonderful 101, but I was kind of in a rush and didn't have time to start the demo. It was unfortunate, I'd kind of like to go back later this week and take it for a spin.

One thing I will say, I did feel a bit more optimistic about the Wii-U gamepad after holding it and using it for a moment. Hopefully at least Nintendo is finding ways to make good use of it. How long does the battery typically last? I hear that complaint a lot. Can you just leave it hooked up wired?

the gamepad is just a normal controller with a big touchscreen...the one point you mention, is Nintendo hasn't use much of the touchscreen. Yes you can leave it hooked up but there's a new battery pack available that increase it to 5-8hours. :p

#26 Posted by osan0 (14153 posts) -

i wouldnt go as far as syaing despise...but i think nintendo made very poor decisions regarding the wiiu design.

im not even going to compare it to other consoles here...lets just take it as is.

and i am also going to assume that nintendo didnt want to re-enter the hardware race. so im not even going for a horsepower bump here.

but the design is very poor (which is surprising since, N64 aside, nintendo have tended to make sensible hardware calls).

the disc drive isnt fast enough to meet the demands of games that will take advantage of its horsepower. it needed to be 12X at least if nintendo knew they were not going to have a HDD or a custom built solution to the problem (since it doesnt play movies that option was open to nintendo).

the lack of a HDD is also a very big oversight for a few reasons.

1. it means that developers cant cache anywhere to improve loading performance and compensate for the slow disc drive. so more ram is used for buffers....a waste of ram.
  2. if the flash memory in the wiiu fails then the whole console is dead. having an easy to replace HDD would solve this problem
  3. the lack of one discourages developers from releasing DLC for wiiu games
  4. The lack of one also puts people off buying more stuff from the estore.

if it aint standard then it doesn't get used. having the option of an external one is an unacceptable solution. its good to have as a backup option or to expand storage...sure. but it should not be the only solution.

the processor is a very poor choice. it was great for the gamecube (very clever actually), made sense for the wii but its a very old design and its use goes against nintendos objective of getting 3rd parties on board. its not a good processor by any metric and is the weak point in the overall design. surely AMD would have had something more suitable. even a low end dual core athlon 64 would have been better.

It looks like the GPU received no upgrades from its base design (the radeon HD 4000 series)...again going against nintendos objective of 3rd party support. nintendo had a certain performance target..fair enough. but a lot of that tech in the GPU is too old. porting to it from other platforms willl be difficult.

they built a controller and they seem to have no idea what to do with it. usually nintnedo have a clear reason why they are doing what they are doing with the controller but they just seem lost with the gamepad. internally many of their developers seem to prefer the wiimote and nunchuck.

the only positive really is that it does have a good lump of ram. its mad that half of it is taken up by the OS but, still, 1GB for games is a nice balance with the rest of the hardware i think.

from a hardware standpoint its the worst console they have made since the N64. not particularly dev friendly, not well thought out....its dissapointing.

and yet i am getting one when X arrives. i have to play that.

hopefully nintendo get their act together for their next console though. i dont mind if they still want to stay out of the hardware race...but i want to see a more balanced and complete console. i want to be able to take a box home and have everything i need in that box to keep me ticking over for the gen...i just need to buy more games for it over the gen of course :P. well thought out and clever hardware with enough storage to download and retain 20-30 games on a system that has a good CPU/GPU/ram balance in as small a box as possible and keep it quiet. new controllers are welcome but i would hope to see it thought out more before releasing it. a new contoroller on its own is useless..it needs software to justify its existence.

#27 Posted by lamprey263 (32102 posts) -

I use to rip on the Wii U incessantly on System Wars. I decided though that I'd hold off on a X1 and PS4 for now to see how they develop and instead get a Wii U. After all it had a price drop and they had the 32GB Deluxe with New Super Mario/Luigi U for like $300, and I decided to pick up Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Zombie U, Wind Waker, and Mario 3D World with it, also got Resident Evil Revelations for it.

It was enough for me for a while, I know more games are coming for it, I really wanted to play Bayonetta 2 since I loved the previous game. I also was glad to hear that Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem was coming. I can't pass up other games like Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. Plus, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a good Metroid and Zelda game down the line.

I don't imagine the Wii U would satisfy as well as a stronger console with both a huge library of multiplats and their own exclusives, but the Wii U is fun nonetheless. Get it if you have the money to burn. I don't expect it to be a waste though. I didn't get a Wii U because I thought it had the most to offer, I got it because I'd like to dabble in as much of what gaming has to offer. Sure I plan on getting an X1 or PS4 (or both) down the line, and I still want a Wii U for what Nintendo has to offer gaming.

#28 Edited by VERTIGO47 (6680 posts) -

In all honesty, I'm also tempted to buy one. Yes, it's hardware isn't anything to write home about. But the Backwards Compatibility is another driving force to my temptation. That and I just really miss Nintendo games, really. The last Nintendo console for me was Gamecube and I'm still playing it to this day. I skipped the Wii because of stupidity, blindness and the Wii mote functionality just didn't appeal to me. Seeing youtube videos of Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, and Super Mario 3D World, really got me interested again and they all look gorgeous.

#29 Posted by SpiderLuke (678 posts) -

Didn't like it the first year. Now I play it all the time. My Ps4 is collecting dust. Now is the time to get it because there really isn't anything that amazing on the new consoles. Wii U is just pure fun. Don't expect the best multiplayer online yet, though.

#30 Posted by Madmangamer364 (3716 posts) -

Interesting topic, to say the least. As to whether or not I'm on the same boat, probably not...

I can't actually say I despise the Wii U, to be honest, and this is in spite of the fact that I've been very critical of Nintendo's direction since E3 2010. If anything, I'm closer to indifferent right now, which I suspect is even worse that having some sort of emotion toward the system at all.

Frankly, most of the common Wii U "flaws," according to many of it skeptics, don't bother me or influence my reason for not having the system as we speak. I couldn't care that deeply about how powerful the system is, especially in relation to the competition, AAA third party support, and to a lesser degree, the Gamepad's design. What bugs me about the Wii U is that it has simply failed to "wow" me in any particular way, which is unlike any prior Nintendo console. Sure, I know Nintendo's go-to franchises will be there, but while I won't say I've "outgrown" Mario and Co., I WILL say that the impressions just haven't been the same recently in relation to what I've been accustomed to. Instead of being excited about those games, it feels more status quo than with previous systems now.

As a Nintendo fan, I know I'll have to itch to play Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and Super Smash Bros. *insert subtitle here* someday... and that's the problem. Because I've yet to see anything truly impressive about the Wii U, I feel totally content to wait until the circumstances align to my liking before I even think about taking the plunge just to play those games. Perhaps I was spoiled by the Wii and DS, but I just expect something outside-the-box that the Wii U (and 3DS) have lacked so far, even if they have some "great" games. I'm pretty sure I'll get a Wii U, but it's much more "eventually" than "soon," as the latter would require something unexpected that I don't think Nintendo or anyone else is currently poised to deliver.

#31 Posted by YoshiYogurt (6007 posts) -

Just buy the damn console if you like the games. Sheesh

#32 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2938 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@neonakaa said:

No, facts

Or a primary console for people who don't play video games every day.

At 30 hours logged into both Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3, plus about 15 or so in Donkey Kong, playing a few hours a week, there's plenty to play on Wii U.

#33 Posted by gopre (120 posts) -

I have to agree w/ others that share the opinion of Nintendo having enough games to play. I'm not a kid anymore, so I have less time to play video games. If 4 quality games can be made a year, I'm content w/ that. I only have 12 games, not including virtual console, for the Wii, but the 12 I have are incredible. I picked up a Wii U 2 days ago, and I must admit I'm impressed. I'm having a blast w/ Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD and New Super Mario Bros U. They will keep me busy for a while, so I have no complaints. In high hopes Nintendo brings another Zelda of epic proportions in the near future.

#34 Edited by Sirpaul87 (25 posts) -

I was the same way about the Wii U. When the console first came out, I was never really interested in it. I played Donkey Kong: Tropical Breeze and Super Mario 3D Land, and now my opinion changed about this console, and now I am thinking about getting one.

#35 Posted by ZyroXZ2 (92 posts) -

It really is amazing how people's tune changes once they really spend quality time with the Wii U. I just did a demo event last Thurs (and will be recapping it this Thurs), and not a single person had anything bad to say about the system. It's the kind of thing that looks unappealing from the outside, but grows on you and causes you to fall in love with it once you own one, haha

#36 Posted by Jaysonguy (39150 posts) -

@gopre said:

I have to agree w/ others that share the opinion of Nintendo having enough games to play. I'm not a kid anymore, so I have less time to play video games. If 4 quality games can be made a year, I'm content w/ that. I only have 12 games, not including virtual console, for the Wii, but the 12 I have are incredible. I picked up a Wii U 2 days ago, and I must admit I'm impressed. I'm having a blast w/ Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD and New Super Mario Bros U. They will keep me busy for a while, so I have no complaints. In high hopes Nintendo brings another Zelda of epic proportions in the near future.

I don't even think it's fair to call you casual, you're someone who really doesn't like video games.

I'm glad that the Wii U is perfect for someone like you but you can see that if a game system is perfect for you it's wrong for about 99% of the population right?

#37 Posted by Raptor_Herc (330 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: "I don't even think it's fair to call you casual, you're someone who really doesn't like video games."

Care to share the logic behind that quote?

i. X has a really busy life

ii. Since X has little time for video games, he therefore only buys a few of them for his console

iii. Therefore, this X does not like video games (?!?)

As for me, I would like to get a Wii U once I can afford one along with an extra controller and some major retail titles. Since I did not own a Wii last gen, there should be enough games from both consoles (especially with regards to the Wii U down the line) to keep me contented with my future purchase.

#38 Posted by Jaysonguy (39150 posts) -

@Raptor_Herc said:

@Jaysonguy: "I don't even think it's fair to call you casual, you're someone who really doesn't like video games."

ii. Since X has little time for video games, he therefore only buys a few of them for his console

Really?

The average game is about what? 15 hours long? And he's buying one every 3 months.

So let's say he gets 8 hours of sleep every night and works a 40 hour week. That leaves 320 hours of free time. Let's just say that they work a part time job as well. He's got 240 hours. Heck, even if he's working two full time jobs he's got 160 hours of free time a month.

Out of that 320-160 hours he's only playing games for 5 of those hours. At most he's spending 3% of his time playing games.

#39 Posted by ajames_123 (2983 posts) -

Im currently on the look out for a good wii u deal. I got a ps4 but the wii u would compliment it i feel. I really want mario kart, smash bros, zelda ww hd and will no doubt want the next zelda aswel.

I may wait to see if they do a mario kart bundle or try find a good zelda WW hd bundle price. Looking under £200 though.

#40 Posted by Raptor_Herc (330 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: It does not necessarily mean he dislikes video games, contrary to what you assert in your first sentence. Unless, of course, you were trying to hyperbolise the extent of his gaming activities. A bunch of the games he buys are likely to have replay value as well, bringing their playtime above 15 hours (especially games like Pikmin and Monster Hunter).

And besides (referring to your other comment regarding gopre), the fact he did the same with the Wii (bought 12 games), which had a much larger library does not mean he does not want the Wii U to have a bigger library, he just does not need it. Therefore, the Wii U could have a bigger library and nonetheless still be perfect for him.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
#41 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (8978 posts) -

@Raptor_Herc said:

Jason just tries to russle your jimmies. Don't take him too seriously. :)

Avatar image for darkspineslayer
#42 Posted by darkspineslayer (21723 posts) -

@JordanElek: The Eshop has the best interface?

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

#43 Posted by Tuna_walker (26 posts) -

Personally, I love the Wii U. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want OR need a console to do anything but play video games. I don't need Blu Ray, I don't need to browse the web, I don't need to check twitter of facebook. I don't need to watch movies on netflix. I don't care if it can play music or support the latest headsets. The ONLY thing I want any console to ever do is play video games. If it does that, then it's perfect for me.

All those other things are just bells and whistles that I will most likely never end up using anyway. I have other ways to do all those things, they aren't needed on a console for me.

If I could get get Gears of War, God of War and Super Mario Bros on a single console, I would only buy one. But, I can't so I usually end up owning every one that comes out.

I'm a video game fan above all. I don't care if it's Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo. As long as the games I am playing are enjoyable, then I really couldn't care less which console I was playing it on. I find the console wars to be super weird. It's almost as if people enjoy the company more than gaming. No way I'm playing Titanfall, it's on Xbox! The graphics suck! The Last of Us looks like crap, I hate Sony... I read things like that all the time and it makes no sense to me at all.

I could almost guarantee that if a game came out for either Xbox One or PS4, and fans of either console got to play it using a dual console controller, and they weren't told which console they were playing, the people that hate PS would think it's an Xbox and vice versa. The only reason they know the difference is because they know what console they are playing, not because the game is really that different OR better on either console.

Nice looking graphics are great, but they don't make a bad/boring game good. They mean nothing to me at all. I still use my NES and love it. Of course it's nice to have a great looking game, but it really isn't important to me. Just having fun is all I really want from a game.

In my opinion, as long as a console has games that I consider to be good, it's a good console. Nintendo exclusives are some of my favorite games so of course I enjoy the Wii U. I don't see why people hate it so much, it does exactly what I want it to do, when I want it to do it. The only question I must ask before I buy a game console is "does it play video games?" If the answer is "yes", then I'm sold.

First and foremost, I'm a fan of video games, not the company that made the console I am using. That's just me.

#44 Posted by JordanElek (18551 posts) -

@darkspineslayer said:

@JordanElek: The Eshop has the best interface?

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

It's the best because it's efficient. The gamepad lets you scroll and tap faster than any controller if you're just browsing, and the gamepad lets you type 1000x faster than any controller if you're searching for a specific game.

The content is well-organized, updated frequently, easy to navigate, and built for growth.

The only digital store I've used that even comes close to rivaling the WiiU eShop in terms of interface is Steam, and that's because you navigate it with a keyboard and mouse.

#45 Posted by YoshiYogurt (6007 posts) -
@Jaysonguy said:

@Raptor_Herc said:

Really?

The average game is about what? 15 hours long? And he's buying one every 3 months.

So let's say he gets 8 hours of sleep every night and works a 40 hour week. That leaves 320 hours of free time. Let's just say that they work a part time job as well. He's got 240 hours. Heck, even if he's working two full time jobs he's got 160 hours of free time a month.

Out of that 320-160 hours he's only playing games for 5 of those hours. At most he's spending 3% of his time playing games.

The average game on wiiU is not 15 fucking hours long...

I don't see what's wrong only 5 games a year. That's perfect for me as well. I'm also playing games for Xbox, playstation, PC AND retro consoles. I bought so many good wii games I still have 10 to even start playing. PS3 also has a ridiculous amount of good games. Who the hell has time to play all this? Only console I've been able to not have a backlog for is the 360, last (good)exclusive was gears judgement.

#46 Posted by yixingtpot (1484 posts) -

Console gaming is dying because of Microbribe PC gaming being shoved onto us. All consoles are suffering not just Wii U, I've played my Wii U more than my PS4... one game per system, Killzone 4 on PS4 and RE Revelations on Wii U, but I own more Wii U games than PS4 at the moment. When MGS Ground Zeroes comes out that will change it will be a tie lol.

Support Japanese gaming and just go ahead and buy a Wii U... honestly it has more exclusive games out worth buying than PS4 at the moment.

#47 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2938 posts) -

@YoshiYogurt said:
@Jaysonguy said:

@Raptor_Herc said:

Really?

The average game on wiiU is not 15 fucking hours long...

I don't see what's wrong only 5 games a year. That's perfect for me as well. I'm also playing games for Xbox, playstation, PC AND retro consoles. I bought so many good wii games I still have 10 to even start playing. PS3 also has a ridiculous amount of good games. Who the hell has time to play all this? Only console I've been able to not have a backlog for is the 360, last (good)exclusive was gears judgement.

Yoshi, a concrete wall is not broken with the bloody fists of a single man, nor is it broken with the bloody fists of a thousand men. A concrete wall will not succumb to mere brute force. If you want to take down concrete, you need a wrecking ball.

#48 Posted by GordanChoong (227 posts) -
@IncisionX said:

Hey folks o/

This isn't intended as a console war so do not worry :D

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone else is in my position - I despise the WiiU to an extent..I think that for a next gen console it's weak, controllers aren't as great as there rivals and the online limitations in comparison are poor BUT! I will buy one soon;

Why? Too many amazing games.. Donkey Kong, Smash bros, Mario, Zelda, Sonic etc etc there's just too many games to keep a gamer away!

I still think it's a shame that they didn't really push the boat out with the WiiU hardware wise but you cannot argue the software, it's an incredible line up.

Thoughts?

//IncisionX

The WiiU may have weaker hardware than the PS4 and the Xbox One, but that's simply because Nintendo released their next-gen console a year before Sony and Microsoft released theirs, Nintendo didn't expect them to release another next-gen console for another couple years, and because they simply wanted to catch up to the current generation to make the core gamers happy. Although Nintendo has the potential to produce a console that can catch up and even get ahead of its competitors (i.e., Super Nintendo Entertainment System and Virtual Boy), Nintendo will most unlikely do this due to high hardware, manufacturing, and other related costs; consumption of time, effort, and money; and also since they won't make as much profit if they skip two generations to catch up and beat everybody else.

Still, it's still much more powerfuler than the PS3 and the Xbox 360 but not as powerful as the PS4 and the Xbox One. Take note that in order for a console to render Ultra HD graphics, the GPU and even the CPU has to be designed to be able to support the bandwith and the technology needed to produce such graphics. In this case, Sony and Microsoft had to make the PS4 and the Xbox One at least 4 times more powerful than the predecessors as 4K UHD is 4 times more better than native 1080 full HD. With Nintendo, to upgrade from hardware supporting standard definition to hardware supporting high definition already requires technology at least 3 times more advanced than the Wii. Taking the UHD upgrade into consideration, I'd have to say that Nintendo would have to make hardware at least 10 - 12 times more powerful than the Wii to catch up and even beat the PS4 and the Xbox One.

So you shouldn't be complaining as it already took alot of time, money, and effort to make the WiiU four times more powerful than the Wii, imagine how much it would be if they decided to make it 10 times more powerful. And the economy and pricing of manufacturing products aren't so great as it was in the 200's and even the 90's, so don't whine about how Sony and Microsoft were able to pull it off by making the PS3 and the Xbox 360 10 times more powerful than the PS2 and the Xbox without any hassles. We are in the 2010's where we have a changing economy and increasing costs and wages, so you gotta take that into consideration as well. Take note that the PS4 and Xbox One don't render full native 4K UHD graphics; it may well be 2K UHD graphics upscaled to look like 4K for all we know (just like how the PS3 and the Xbox 360 didn't render full 1080 p HD graphics for most of its games.)

P.S. I might post another post concerning my thoughts about the controls and online next time in the future if you reply back.