I can't do Zelda.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Grazen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Grazen
Member since 2002 • 79 Posts

The Legend of Zelda is widely acclaimed as one of the most important game franchises. I go back a long way here as a 40+ year old gamer so I've seen many, many Zelda launches over the years on every Nintendo console since the NES.

I can't do it though. I've tried, but it just doesn't work for me. To be clear, I'm talking about playing the game and getting enjoyment out of it. Last year I picked up the 3DS release of Ocarina of Time as my first 3DS game - that's how committed I was to finally getting into Zelda. I lasted about 60 minutes on it before I became bored. I never went back.

This year the 3DS release of A Link Between Worlds was chosen by many gaming sites as one of the best games of the year. Giant Bomb selected it as their runner up for best game. So I decided to give it another shot. I like good games, why not this one? I gave this one more time - a full five hours - before the strong sense of boredom hit in and I just couldn't play it anymore. I'm therefore putting aside my pride and announcing that I'm quitting Zelda. She's beautiful, and complicated, but we're just not right for each other.

So long Zelda. I wish you well ;.(

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1  Edited By BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

at the very least, when you say you find zelda boring, you can bring up how much you actually tried to play it and enjoy to back you up. it's not like you're making an uninformed statement.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

You are not alone. I did enjoy Zelda back in the Super Nintendo days, but not since then. I was kind of tempted to rebuy a 3DS XL and try the new Zelda game, but i did not because i know what the end result will be.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#3 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Different tastes I guess. Zelda's my favorite series due to its design, stories and sense of place.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4217 Posts

Don't give up, it took me about 8 years to figure out how great Zelda is....I'm sure you'll get it one day.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

At least you tried the game and gave them a chance. It is better then what most do due too all the bullshit people spew without even playing the titles.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4217 Posts

@quatoe said:

At least you tried the game and gave them a chance. It is better then what most do due too all the bullshit people spew without even playing the titles.

Quoted For Truth!!

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

let me guess TC....the last of us or GTA was your game of the year...

heavy rain is an amazing game...beyond two souls is underrated...lol

am i close?

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

@quatoe said:

This.

TC, it's totally fine to dislike Zelda games. Not everyone is supposed to enjoy the same thing, reason why we have so many different genres in the video game industry. I give you major props for trying the games out.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Well good on ya for trying. Just out of interest, do you like other games that might be similar in theme or genre? Okami? Darksiders?

Grazen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Grazen
Member since 2002 • 79 Posts

It more might be the genre, I wasn't a fan of Okami either. It's essentially a puzzle solving platformer with action elements - which sounds awesome - but I find the puzzles unintuitive (maybe I'm not smart enough or I've lost too many brain cells over the years), the platform parts frustrating and the action parts repetitive. To be honest, I think that if I could stick with it for 10+ hours to level up and to get some great loot that I'd get into it, but I can't make it that far without forcing myself to... and who wants to be forced to do something that's supposed to be entertaining? I love the 3DS in general though, probably my favorite platform at the moment.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

I'm on the same boat, with a few exceptions (LTTP and WWJD), I find most of them very boring

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

I don't think A Link Between Worlds is the best example. I'm a huge fan of Zelda, but I thought A Link Between Worlds was pretty dull.

Avatar image for deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83
deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83
Member since 2013 • 82 Posts

@farrell2k: I'm not limited to just those three franchises but like you there are very few games I can get into

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

I can tell why people might find Zelda boring. It's slow and methodical.

I'm really pulling for wii u zelda to be something special.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34595 Posts

My GF is pretty much the same. I don't really understand it. When she doesn't know what to do on a puzzle or know where to go in about 5 seconds, she asks me what to do. And she can't read more than like 3 sentences of dialogue before she starts skipping the text. She's not like that on other games, so I guess Zelda isn't for everyone. Personally, I love not knowing what to do or where to go in Zelda games, and reading what people say in order to get some hints. It's like I love everything about Zelda, and she hates everything about it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Yea, I'm tiring of Zelda also. I suppose I'm outgrowing it and wish for a more mature take on things but know that Nintendo will never do this. I find the characters are for children, the story is simply there as a pretense to go to each dungeon, I'm bored of the same items, and the dungeons (while different) all feel like I'm simply going through the motions again and again. Worst of all......I can no longer tolerate the slow beginnings and incessant hand-holding. It destroys the pacing and difficulty and I can't be bothered to force myself to play past the first few hours.

I'm holding out little hope for the upcoming one.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

@MirkoS77: funny because a Link between worlds did away with all the hand holding and slow starting sections

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

I can no longer tolerate the slow beginnings and incessant hand-holding. It destroys the pacing and difficulty and I can't be bothered to force myself to play past the first few hours.

So which way are you going to complain?

You dislike the slow beginnings but then that's the only part of the game you play.

Obviously you like the slow beginnings or else you'd play more and get to the rest of the game. Instead you like to play the slow start and then when it starts to pick up you leave.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@Grazen said:

The Legend of Zelda is widely acclaimed as one of the most important game franchises. I go back a long way here as a 40+ year old gamer so I've seen many, many Zelda launches over the years on every Nintendo console since the NES.

I can't do it though. I've tried, but it just doesn't work for me. To be clear, I'm talking about playing the game and getting enjoyment out of it. Last year I picked up the 3DS release of Ocarina of Time as my first 3DS game - that's how committed I was to finally getting into Zelda. I lasted about 60 minutes on it before I became bored. I never went back.

This year the 3DS release of A Link Between Worlds was chosen by many gaming sites as one of the best games of the year. Giant Bomb selected it as their runner up for best game. So I decided to give it another shot. I like good games, why not this one? I gave this one more time - a full five hours - before the strong sense of boredom hit in and I just couldn't play it anymore. I'm therefore putting aside my pride and announcing that I'm quitting Zelda. She's beautiful, and complicated, but we're just not right for each other.

So long Zelda. I wish you well ;.(

OMFG!!!!!! You just described me. I now own 6 Zelda games and they all sit as unfinished games due to me losing interest in them as I played. The latest victim for me is A Link Between Worlds. Hated every Zelda I owned before it, but was sucked in by the praise and bought the game. Started out loving it, but after collecting two paintings, I just sorta lost interest and haven't advanced anymore through the game. Every time I put it in and load it up. I can only stand to play it for like ten minutes tops before shutting the 3DS XL off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

You're not required to like it. There are other great series out there too. I'm sure you've found them. :)

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@trugs26 said:

Well good on ya for trying. Just out of interest, do you like other games that might be similar in theme or genre? Okami? Darksiders?

Not sure about TC, but I loved Darksiders. I own Darksiders 2 also, but have yet to play it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MirkoS77

@Shinobishyguy said:

@MirkoS77: funny because a Link between worlds did away with all the hand holding and slow starting sections

I know, I was referring to all the new console games. It was based upon a game that was made in a time when those problems didn't exist.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MirkoS77

@Jaysonguy said:

@MirkoS77 said:

I can no longer tolerate the slow beginnings and incessant hand-holding. It destroys the pacing and difficulty and I can't be bothered to force myself to play past the first few hours.

So which way are you going to complain?

You dislike the slow beginnings but then that's the only part of the game you play.

Obviously you like the slow beginnings or else you'd play more and get to the rest of the game. Instead you like to play the slow start and then when it starts to pick up you leave.

Obviously, I very dislike slow beginnings. I'll give a game an hour at most to get moving, if it hasn't by then I'm moving on. I don't need to play past the 4 hours of molasses moving baby stages to see that they're there.

What's your point?

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

@MirkoS77: actually according to aonuma and the other devs they specifically made it so there was never any handholding and to give the player freedom, not just because it was based off of lttp. The fact that they went with the whole non linear dungeon order(which wasn't even in the first lttp) supports this philosophy.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MirkoS77

@Shinobishyguy said:

@MirkoS77: actually according to aonuma and the other devs they specifically made it so there was never any handholding and to give the player freedom, not just because it was based off of lttp. The fact that they went with the whole non linear dungeon order(which wasn't even in the first lttp) supports this philosophy.

Well I hope they keep at it. But even still, if it starts out real slow with no hand-holding that'll still be a problem. We'll know soon enough, but it's good to hear that they're aware of this problem.

Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts

Oh, well.

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#28 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts

I've tried to like Zelda as well, but I just don't get the hype. I completed tPHG, thought that was okay. Spirit tracks was a struggle, gave up after a few hours. Then came the 3ds & the OoT. 30 hours in, & the water temple destroyed it, can't even look at the box art without a small cringe setting in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c072abf2e969
deactivated-5c072abf2e969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-5c072abf2e969
Member since 2009 • 249 Posts

Honestly OP, I agree with you.

The franchise needs to evolve. Its been so stagnant since Ocarina. The combat is dull and they seriously need to improve on it. Hopefully they take some tips from Hyrule Warriors.

I played Twilight Princess and LOVED it. it was my first Zelda game. After that I played Skyward Sword and was bored out my mind. I started Wind Waker and am in the Temple thats out in the middle of the sea (forgot what its called) and can't get myself to get back into it.

I've played Darksiders and honestly I feel like its the better franchise at this point. It also evolved greatly just between 2 games. Darksiders 2 isn't similar to Zelda, its more like a mix between Skyrims exploration, Zelda like bosses, Prince of Persia traversal, and it has the right amount of puzzles too.

If you havne't I STRONGLY recommend it.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

Attention span not there maybe for this type of game.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Sorry to hear that. My PC gaming big brother got hooked instantly on ALBW, also my GF enjoys it greatly.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#32 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

As I said in a similar thread on another board, I'm sure there are quite a few games that you're a fan of that I just can't get into no matter how hard I try. Different strokes for different folks.

Part of what makes Zelda so great for me is completing one of the games and looking back at the entire adventure you just took. It truly seems like an epic.

If you are still wanting to enjoy Zelda games, might I recommend starting with the original or trying Skyward Sword? Possibly starting with where it all started might help you find enjoyment in other entries of the series and it isn't too long of a game. Skyward Sword on the other hand has a different feel to it than other Zelda games, partially because of the motion controls but also because of pacing.

Not saying you should try these games, especially if you don't think it would help. Just mentioning them in case you want to give Zelda one more try.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

TC ever thought that you might simply got old for certain games? I kinda feel the same sometimes, I still wanna play all the franchises that I used to play when was younger but some of them simply do not the trick anymore. I tend to prefer different games nowadays, more scenario based with RPG elements such as Mass Effect for example.

Saying all that I still got Pokemon Y and enjoyed it, even bred some perfect pokemons with perfect IVs, but yea I can feel what you're saying.