How to transfer data from old Wii to new WII?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Andysdad28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Andysdad28
Member since 2003 • 373 Posts

Hi There!

Our WII "bit the dust" and we replaced it with a new one. Do we have to start over by creating another MII or is the original data stored somewhere online?

Thank you in advance.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

The best you can do is transfer your Wiiware and virtual console games with an SD card, but otherwise pretty much all your save data is gone.. However if you want to atleast keep your mii if the system will still atleast turn on etc. you can put your miis into your wiimote and put them in your new wii

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

The best you can do is transfer your Wiiware and virtual console games with an SD card, but otherwise pretty much all your save data is gone.. However if you want to atleast keep your mii if the system will still atleast turn on etc. you can put your miis into your wiimote and put them in your new wii

VendettaRed07
Pretty much this.There's no way to transfer Virtual Console and WiiWare games to a new Wii.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Remember that the license for your downloaded content (Wiiware, VC, and other DLC) is tied to that console, so you need to contact Nintendo to try to get that transferred.
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

Yeah I had a Wii break too. Luckily it would at least turn on and I could move most of my save files to and SD card, transfer my Miis to remotes (10 per remote), and had Nintendo transfer my Club Nintendo account so I could redownload my games. If you can't turn it on though that makes things more complicated. You probably have to send it to Nintendo and see if they can do anything. Also to answer your question the only way you can download your Miis from the internet is if you uploaded them to the Check Mii Out channel or you sent them to a friends Wii, you can have them resend it.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

VendettaRed07

^ This. Topic closed. :P

Andysdad28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Andysdad28
Member since 2003 • 373 Posts

Bummer...Thanks:(

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

Zophar87

^ This. Topic closed. :P

Considering he's 100% wrong the topic is still wide open

You need to contact Nintendo and have them switch the licenses, since all the games are tied to the console you can't swap them from an old console to a new one

In some cases you can send both units to Nintendo and they'll do the swap for you

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

You need to contact Nintendo and have them switch the licenses, since all the games are tied to the console you can't swap them from an old console to a new one

In some cases you can send both units to Nintendo and they'll do the swap for you

Jaysonguy

So you can't transfer VC data through an SD Card? I could have sworn you could...

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Zophar87

So you can't transfer VC data through an SD Card? I could have sworn you could...

Data, sure, but the license for the game. Did my post get ignored simply because I'm not a regular on the Wii board? :? Everyone just went right by it...

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Zophar87

No, you can only back up VC and Wiiware games to an SD card. If you try and put them on another Wii (even if it's owned by you) they won't copy or load. Nintendo has to transfer your account to the new Wii and then you can redownload everything. They actually make you redownload the games too, even when your account is transferred it still won't let you copy any games from your SD card to the system memory. At least you can back up save files to a card though, except any game that uses friend codes such as Smash Bros and Mario Kart.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

MAILER_DAEMON

Data, sure, but the license for the game. Did my post get ignored simply because I'm not a regular on the Wii board? :? Everyone just went right by it...

No, I was hoping to sway people your way lol

Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

If you got your Wii fixed and it's the same console, then everything should be there. But if it's a new Wii it's what everyone already said.