help with wii to wii U transfer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by agrippi (1143 posts) -
Here is my current setup. Can someone walk me through what I need to do in order to transfer my WiiWare/VC games, etc. to my Wii U? I have all of my WiiWare/VC games on an SD card....I have too many to store on the Wii system memory. I am under the impression that I can't just put this SD card into the Wii U and have it read/transfer over my games. Correct? So, how do I do this? Do I need to copy games to the Wii system memory and then use a blank SD card to start the transfer? If I really don't care about the "save game" data, can I just redownload WiiWare/VC titles on my Wii U and completely bypass the transfer process? I mainly want to get my VC games and a select few WiiWare games on to my Wii U. Thanks so much in advance for your help!
#2 Posted by calway55 (273 posts) -

Quite a few hoops just to get my wii u up and running..you have to create a nintendo account just to get on-line and have access to all of what nintendo offers and that is only after you get your router linked up for wii fi. The update took some time. Luckily I got my wii u last night and was able to get things hooked up and game pad charged. (you can still play but you will be tethered to the charger). I got the game pad sinc and tv remote on game pad working last night. This was easy but took a little time.

It took some time to do an update just to get all of the channels available and once you create an account you can do your transfer. I AM NOT going to do that as I like to keep my consoles independent of each other. Your manual shows what can be transfered so just transferring downloads should be simple, you'll see as you go through set up.

I have one of the first HD tv's but it doesn't have the connector for the HD cable. I just used my wii plug otherwise I'd be SOL. Anyone wanting to hook up with out a newer tv and not owning a wii will have to buy a Wii cable or a wii component video cable. I can just switch out my wii cable whenever I'd like to use either system. My entertainment center is massive and too difficult to move to easily swap out cables from the back of the tv.

Well, this nintendo fan now has all 6 consoles hooked up to her tv including stero and surround sound. Happy gaming.

#3 Posted by agrippi (1143 posts) -
Did you forget your Ritalin this morning??? Wow, that was quite the response to my post without even addressing my question. Thanks I guess...
#4 Posted by mariokart64fan (19805 posts) -

im leaving my vc on my red wii using this wii u for more though

im sure the wii u came w instructions

#5 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

Here is my current setup. Can someone walk me through what I need to do in order to transfer my WiiWare/VC games, etc. to my Wii U? I have all of my WiiWare/VC games on an SD card....I have too many to store on the Wii system memory. I am under the impression that I can't just put this SD card into the Wii U and have it read/transfer over my games. Correct? So, how do I do this? Do I need to copy games to the Wii system memory and then use a blank SD card to start the transfer? If I really don't care about the "save game" data, can I just redownload WiiWare/VC titles on my Wii U and completely bypass the transfer process? I mainly want to get my VC games and a select few WiiWare games on to my Wii U. Thanks so much in advance for your help!agrippi

Go to the Wii Shop on the Wii you're transferring games from, you'll find the Wii U transfer tool, download it, it'll tell you how to do everything.

#6 Posted by calway55 (273 posts) -

Sorry just sharing the experience you might encounter. It's a new console!!! Pretty exciting.

#7 Posted by Superzone (3713 posts) -
I have a question that sort of expands on this a bit: Can you transfer games over from multiple Wii's? My first Wii died on me a while back and I had to get a new one last Fall. I have a few games on my new Wii (system memory) and I have a bunch on the SD card of my old Wii (that I can't play on my new Wii since they are "tied" to the old one). Is it possible to transfer games over from my Wii AND the games that are on the SD card from my old Wii?
#8 Posted by Pffrbt (6601 posts) -

Sorry just sharing the experience you might encounter. It's a new console!!! Pretty exciting.

calway55

Make your own topic for it instead of wasting people's time.