Freezing followed by a LOUD OBNOXIOUS HUM/BEEP.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

This has happened before with my gamecube a long time ago, and it just happened again now. When my gamecube did it, it only happened about one or two times and it never happened again and there's no explanation for it.

I was playing Super Paper Mario earlier in chapter 4-1 and my game randomly froze and followed a loud, obnoxious hum/beep.

You may have not noticed, but you can't turn the damn Wii off. There's no way to do it when it's frozen. You can't just, turn it off. You have to actually unplug the power cord.

Has anyone else ever had this happen? And no, it's not my Wii. If it happened with the gamecube, my perfectly normal gamecube and now my Wii, then it must be some software issue.

Ollivander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Ollivander
Member since 2005 • 1975 Posts
Sounds to me like overheating
doominatorx6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 doominatorx6
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts
This happened to me while playing far cry. I thought it was just one of the many bugs, but when i fired up NFS: most wanted on my ps2, i got the exact same thing! whatever the problem is, it must have to do with something in the system. Overheating sounds most likely, though as i said, it could be bugs.
Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Skullheart

Well I don't think it's overheating, because I turned the Wii off for some time to take a break/snooze for 30 mins to an hour. Then I fired it up and played for 10-15 minutes and it randomly did that.

Honestly I think it has something to do with a bug in specific software put in games--but I'm still ambiguous to it all. I don't think it has anything to do with the console because it's working fine afterwards and I never notice it happen again after the first (or in my gamecube's case, the second time it happened). 

doominatorx6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 doominatorx6
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts

Well I don't think it's overheating, because I turned the Wii off for some time to take a break/snooze for 30 mins to an hour. Then I fired it up and played for 10-15 minutes and it randomly did that.

Honestly I think it has something to do with a bug in specific software put in games--but I'm still ambiguous to it all. I don't think it has anything to do with the console because it's working fine afterwards and I never notice it happen again after the first (or in my gamecube's case, the second time it happened).

Skullheart

Once again, i have to mention the same thing happened with my ps2. Maybe you should call nintendo and ask.
b0ssy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 b0ssy
Member since 2007 • 602 Posts
it happens but its rare
gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11917 Posts
You can turn of standby.  That way it won't overheat.  Sorry about the freezing up, hopefully it still works.
fmobliv06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 1

#8 fmobliv06
Member since 2006 • 2429 Posts
that happened to me once when i was connecting to the shop channel and i had to unplug it.
osbassgordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 osbassgordo
Member since 2006 • 258 Posts

This has happened before with my gamecube a long time ago, and it just happened again now. When my gamecube did it, it only happened about one or two times and it never happened again and there's no explanation for it.

I was playing Super Paper Mario earlier in chapter 4-1 and my game randomly froze and followed a loud, obnoxious hum/beep.

You may have not noticed, but you can't turn the damn Wii off. There's no way to do it when it's frozen. You can't just, turn it off. You have to actually unplug the power cord.

Has anyone else ever had this happen? And no, it's not my Wii. If it happened with the gamecube, my perfectly normal gamecube and now my Wii, then it must be some software issue.

Skullheart

um, yes u can turn your wii off. I found a glitch in TP which froze the wii and i held the power button for 5 seconds and it turned off.

UNPLUGGING IT ONLY HURTS THE WII 

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Skullheart
[QUOTE="Skullheart"]

osbassgordo

um, yes u can turn your wii off. I found a glitch in TP which froze the wii and i held the power button for 5 seconds and it turned off.

UNPLUGGING IT ONLY HURTS THE WII

I held it down for 10 seconds and it didn't budge. When it's frozen, it can't input the command to shutdown--or I guess, when it's frozen like the way it was frozen. I's not like the gamecube where there's a switch to turn the power off and on.

@gatsbythepig -- How do you switch off standby? I probably won't...but don't you just switch off Wiiconnect24?

MasterLink31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MasterLink31
Member since 2006 • 80 Posts

It is caused by the tv.  This has happened to my GameCube before, but it has also happended to my dvd player

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Skullheart
Oh really now...do you know exactly what the TV does to cause that to happen?
NacresErut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 NacresErut
Member since 2006 • 82 Posts

I don't think tv's can freeze up a gamesystem I would think that it can ruin it by not outputting the video but that wouldn't mess up the system, and maybe it is a glitch in the system but then if you want you can call nintendo and send it to them since you rwarranty still is in place, but really i never heard of this case before maybe it was like a power surge or something, once something like that happened to my laptop and when i pulled out the power plug it was like half melted o_O

renger6002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 renger6002
Member since 2004 • 4481 Posts

most likely overheating.

I posted about this a couple months ago (it happened with red steel and Madden)

I emailed Nintendo and he said that I have to call them. I never did cuz it didn't happen again.

I htink it also happened a couple of times with SSX.

Where do you keep you wii, mine is next to my soundsystem ina pretty closed space, and when WiiConnect24 is on, it is always warm-hot on the side.

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Skullheart

most likely overheating.

I posted about this a couple months ago (it happened with red steel and Madden)

I emailed Nintendo and he said that I have to call them. I never did cuz it didn't happen again.

I htink it also happened a couple of times with SSX.

Where do you keep you wii, mine is next to my soundsystem ina pretty closed space, and when WiiConnect24 is on, it is always warm-hot on the side.

renger6002

I keep mine on the top of a tower in my room (a series of vertical shelves). The top of the tower is a hard wood surface. When I felt my Wii before, it was warm-hot on the sides like you say, but now when I've been playing it for an hour and a half it doesn't feel quite as warm.

I just want to take the precautions incase those freeze moments can ruin my Wii.

mllrmatt8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mllrmatt8
Member since 2007 • 626 Posts

that happened to me when the internet channel was loading

it froze and i had to unplug it 

SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts
     The only time my Wii froze was about a week ago on floor 89 of the pit of 100 trials on SPM.  Needless to say, I gave my Wii a good long rest before attempting to finish that task again.  The plus side is that I had all of my health items back and I pretty much knew what to do level by level!  Still not worth the wasted 1:15 though, thanks Wii for telling me how long I was in the pit....thanks...
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#19 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

well i got that but when i was looking at my myspace,  , today though i put nascar 2003 in it made noise when i inserted the disc like an xbox360 but its weird bc i took it out cleaned the disc the wii didnt make the noise , it may be a bug in the software or your game is dirty

i got mine right here beside me on a barral ,  and it is cold as hell ,

Virus214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Virus214
Member since 2007 • 2052 Posts
could be over heating. Mine doesn't do that. Its been on for... a long time today. and its not even hot. and i was playen Rival swords the entire time.!
MikeX912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MikeX912
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
i think u should leave it unplugged 4 longer......maybe a full nite b/c my wii is giving me the same problems and it's really warm around the vents but i feel that it is overheating if it's doing that and if it persists contact nintendo cuz that's what i'm doin' if mine doesn't work 2morrow morning
retrokid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 retrokid1

Skullheart

Help! ! Mine just did this and i unplugged it.

I plugged it back in now not even the standby light is on, and when i press the power button it doesnt come on, or when i unplug it and plug it back in again it still doesnt come on.

help i dont wanna lose my Wii! ! !

retrokid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 retrokid1

Oh alright tah will do.

My Tomb Raider Underworld's in there aswell and it wont open :),

i was mid playing when it happened.

dtno132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 dtno132
Member since 2008 • 1662 Posts
Wow thanks for bumping this retrokid1 >_> This happened to me before, but when I plugged it back it was fine. Sorry, but it looks like your wii died.