Finally bought Super Smash Bros for Wii U

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I finally got Super Smash Bros for Wii U, was hard to pass at $45 from Walmart. Game is insane on the amount that can play and all the different kinds of controllers you can use. Having lots of fun so far.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

@iandizion713:

Congrats! Good to see you have some Amiibo to go with it too.

NoZakuBoy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By NoZakuBoy09
Member since 2015 • 141 Posts

Lots and lots of fun to be had!! Id say don't get discouraged if you're going to get into for glory and playing competitevly, keep at it and you'll keep getting better. Also read up about what specific attacks are called, what they do, hitboxes, learn about characters, reasearch and practice techniques..

And even if you don't go that route its best when you have friends over to play with but still nice in for fun and other modes in the game. Its pretty much endless replayability if you play online matches or/and local matches with friends.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

Welcome to the club. The rad club. So raaaad, we wear sunglasses indoors and our hats backwards.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

Congrats! It is an excellent game. It plays so smooth.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

So you're just telling people you went shopping?

Really?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 iandizion713

@Jaysonguy: Pretty much, plus ive got more to come. Lots of great Wii U games to be had. Im still hunting for Pikmin 3. Ill be buying a new 3DS game this month also, then May is gonna be a big shopping month. Ill make it rain in May.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Nice! You trained your Amiibo yet?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 iandizion713

@trugs26: I trained 1 kinda, i gave him some stuff to eat, then we created a few more. We havnt messed with them much, we had 5-7 player Smashes going on for about 4-5 hours straight. 2 of my younger nephews and nieces have never even played before and had a blast messing around, they struggle with Mario Kart and other games ive got but enjoy Smash and Tekken a lot. Guess the fighting games are more forgiving.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#10 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Really?

It's not JUST shopping. It's...

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@Jaysonguy: Pretty much, plus ive got more to come. Lots of great Wii U games to be had. Im still hunting for Pikmin 3. Ill be buying a new 3DS game this month also, then May is gonna be a big shopping month. Ill make it rain in May.

Good luck finding a new copy of Pikmin 3. I haven't seen a new physical copy on shelves in over a year and the auction prices are not cheap.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iandizion713

@Solaryellow: yeah, ill buy it used if i have to, but i have a hard time finding for good price used locally and online. Ive been hunting Gamestop, but one close hasnt popped up yet.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Really?

Lol pretty much this lol funny but true

crazypal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 crazypal
Member since 2005 • 535 Posts

Okay I have to admit this is the one game I still don't get from Nintendo.

I don't even understand the health system.

I couldn't enjoy it like I did Mario kart.

I wish someone could teach me about it :(

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Mister-Man
Member since 2014 • 616 Posts

@crazypal: What? There's no "health system." The point is to knock your enemies off-screen by either smashing them to the sides, the top, or spike them into the abyss below.

There are no health points. Only a percentage that rises when damage is incurred, this percentage represents how much farther you will fly after getting smashed. So if you are at 0%, you will remain iin place and shrug off even the hardest of hits, but if you accumulate, say, 200%, even the lightest jab can send you careening to your death if you are standing at the sides

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

@crazypal said:

Okay I have to admit this is the one game I still don't get from Nintendo.

I don't even understand the health system.

I couldn't enjoy it like I did Mario kart.

I wish someone could teach me about it :(

Think of it as a "Battle Royal" type of game as opposed to your standard fighter. The object is to wear down your opponent to the point where you can blast -or "Smash"- him/her out of the arena. The percentage characters accumulate as they receive damage makes it easier for them to be sent flying from certain attacks. You also have to be aware of stage obstacles, items, and other random elements as you battle your opposition. The most difficult part about learning how to play Super Smash Bros. is handling your strong and smash attacks with the control/analog stick; once you get the hang of performing the attacks you want to use, the game is pretty easy to understand. It's not quite as simple as most Nintendo games, but it still does a good job of balancing that "easy to play/hard to master" aspect that most Nintendo games excel at.

As for the main topic, I must say that I've been watching a few videos of the game recently, and it's finally starting to feel like the day I'll be getting a Wii U is closing in. (A price drop would be a deal-sealer, Nintendo!) I already have a Kirby amiibo in my possession, and I'm liking how Nintendo is supporting its games right now through Amiibo, tasteful DLC, and the like. No doubt I would be rusty, but I can certain see myself being part of the mix in the game for a while if I pick up the system sometime soon.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@Solaryellow: yeah, ill buy it used if i have to, but i have a hard time finding for good price used locally and online. Ive been hunting Gamestop, but one close hasnt popped up yet.

I found a brand new copy last night at Target and couldn't pass up the physical copy. That was the first time in over a year I've seen one. Most likely someone had a new copy and decided to return it and get the full retail price.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 iandizion713

@Solaryellow: Nice, yeah, i would love to find a new copy, ill have to keep calling around to check, might get lucky. I hear so many great things about the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#19 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@crazypal: The other people gave you good responses, but I just felt like I had to say something since I'm still shocked that someone doesn't like smash bros.

First of all, Smash Bros. isn't really a 'fighting game' in the traditional sense. The object of the game is not to beat your opponent until they fall to the ground in fatality. In my opinion, this style of platforming/action/fighter is actually a lot more fun than a fighting game.

So think of it this way. Whenever you begin a match in SSB, all of the characters on the stage are in good health, and they weigh a decent amount. As characters take damage, they get worn down and tired, and start to lose weight. Now attacks that would have barely budged them whenever they were at full health, could have dire consequences and send them flying across the screen because they have become so weakened.

Smash Bros. is essentially one big game of staying on a platform, while trying to wear down your opponents so you can knock them off of the platform and out into nothingness. Of course it gets more complicated because many of the stages change and move around while you are fighting, and power-ups and other items drop from the skies as you play. But it's a lot more interesting than beating the crap out of a guy in a cramped, flat arena where the camera is zoomed way in, like in other fighters.

The controls in Smash Bros. are also great, because they are simple and easy to remember. In a game like street fighter you might have to press up, down, up, up, right, b, heavy b, light a, pat your head and rub your belly, and hop on one foot just to get your guy to perform some special attack - and even then the move might not work. In SSB pretty much every notable maneuver can be performed with B, A, or B + any direction on the d-pad or A + any direction on the D-pad. That way, you can actually quickly pull off moves and remember how to do them.

SSb also has a TON of different gameplay options. Usually you can set up a custom match and specifically pick and choose which items you can and can't use during matches, and set all sorts of different handicaps and match rules. Not to mention each game typically has a lot of different gameplay modes to mess around in.

I hope that answers some of your questions!

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

I have it for the 3DS. I try not to play it too much though because I just bought the New 3DS last week and don't want to break any buttons from competitive play yet, lol.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

@iandizion713: So how are you at this game? Have you become an awesome fighter in the short time you've owned the game?

I think it would be fun to organize some online battling with some people from this forum one of these days.

I'm not great at the game, just average probably. The random battles online for fun can be a blast.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 iandizion713

@roboccs: Ive played before, i got into Smash back when i had a Gamecube. Im good at 2-4 Player Smashs, when more players come i have a hard time. I would say im still average as of now, but im still not comfortable going Online yet. I Smashed with my brother and his wife Online and i could tell i was rusty. Im use to certain characters, but a bunch im not good at.

I think some people do play Wii U games with each other on the forums, i think i remember some talking about playing.