Final Fantasy IV - Dark Elf battle

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CharonEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CharonEX
Member since 2009 • 306 Posts
I have a friend who recently purchased Final Fantasy IV for the DS and he's been having trouble with the Dark Elf battle, he's told me that every hit he gets is 9999 damage. The characters he's using against the Dark Elf are all level 30 and he said think that it's because the characters he's using; Cecil, Yang, Tellah, and Cid; have the wrong armor and weapons for the battle. So he asked me if I could post on here (since I just recently joined) and ask if anyone knew what type of armor and weapons would be best against the Dark Elf. He'd also like to know where the armor and/or weapon can be found.
lordwil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lordwil
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

it depends on when he is fighting the dark elf

in the first battle, everyone dies

in the revenge battle, you equipped all your metallic stuffs(weapons, armors, boots, shield, staffs, etc)

if this is not the problem then it must be a glitch

Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts

Is that the one where everything is the opposite? hitting the elf gives it life, so using a max potion on the elf inflicts 9999 damage on it or something. Maybe not this battle though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
First battle, you shouldn't have equipped any metallic stuff to begin with, before entering the cave, you should've bought non metallic equips in the town. You should then die in this battle. Before the second battle starts, reequip your guys with your strongest armor and stuff again. This is the real boss fight. As far as I'm concerned, there is no 9999 dmg atk.
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

Is that the one where everything is the opposite? hitting the elf gives it life, so using a max potion on the elf inflicts 9999 damage on it or something. Maybe not this battle though.

Next-Gen-Tec
No, its not. Its the battle where you can`t equip metal weapons/armor. *possibly spoilers* On the first match against him, the battle is set to you lose, after the bard guy start playing the harp and weaken the dark elf, you can move outside of the battle again, before fighting him again, re-equip all the metal armors/weapons and fight him like every other boss. Be careful, Dark Elf is still hard.
TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TriniPlayer
Member since 2009 • 7722 Posts

Dark Elf

HP: 7953
Weakness: Fire, Holy
Absorbs: Dark
Resists: -
EXP Gained: 39765
Gil Obtained: 5000
Item Stolen: -

Boss Strategy: This fight has two parts to it. He will at first be in his
normal form, and it's normally kinda difficult. Just cast
Silence on him, and try to get Haste on everyone. Also put
Protect and Shell on. At this point, the only thing you'll need
to worry about is Hex, which puts the Pig stauts onto someone.
Cure it with a Diet Ration or Esuna (hope that Tellah doesn't
get turned into a Pig if you have little to no Diet Rations).
Now, just attack with everyone and have Tellah on Standby unless
he needs to use Esuna or something. Have Yang Focus twice and
attack (three Focuses only makes about a 300 damage difference
in this battle, so it's not really worth it). Do this again and
again, and use Osmose with Tellah when he's out of MP.

He'll get all of his MP back with each Osmose, so it's pretty
useful for this fight. Keep whittling away at his HP until he
turns into the Dark Dragon. He has 7953 HP in this form, and
this is where it gets hard. Immediately start the fight off by
using a Spider Silk on him. Have Yang Focus three times and
attack, have Cecil and Cid attack normally, and Tellah should be
your healer for the remainder of the fight. The Dark Dragon will
use Dark Breath every now and then, which is what you need Shell
on for. It'll most likely kill Tellah and Cid, but Cecil and
Yang should survive. If this is the case, have Cecil use a
Phoenix Down on Tellah and have Yang use a Hi-Potion on him.

Leave Cid KO'd, because he'll die by Dark Breath every time
anyway, so it's not worth wasting Phoenix Downs or MP reviving
him. Basically, just keep attacking with Cecil and Yang, making
sure Yang Focuses three times before attacking. Make sure you
keep Tellah alive as much as possible, and if you can, get a
Firaga in. This fight is hard, but you can do it.

I copied this from gamefaq so i hope this will help you out.

CharonEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CharonEX
I've been telling my friend to let his characters totally die at the beginning of the battle, but he says that every time he dies he's taken back to the main screen instead of going to a cut scene. I read that you're suppose to talk to Edward beforehand in the infirmary and got the cutscne, and he said he had done that...so I'm really not sure why he's not getting the cut scene like he should be =/ The guide to defeat it should help when he does the second battle with the Dark Elf, but for the first battle we've tried pretty much everything and he still always goes back to the main screen. I've told him to try putting them on auto battle and he did that, but he still got sent back to the menu screen...
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 meiaman

I've been telling my friend to let his characters totally die at the beginning of the battle, but he says that every time he dies he's taken back to the main screen instead of going to a cut scene. I read that you're suppose to talk to Edward beforehand in the infirmary and got the cutscne, and he said he had done that...so I'm really not sure why he's not getting the cut scene like he should be =/ The guide to defeat it should help when he does the second battle with the Dark Elf, but for the first battle we've tried pretty much everything and he still always goes back to the main screen. I've told him to try putting them on auto battle and he did that, but he still got sent back to the menu screen...CharonEX
Maybe he forgot to talk with edward first? People these days are all hasty... y`know... on games like the classic Final Fantasy (6 and under) or dragon quest you`re advised to talk with everyone and explore ever tiny bit of the town before going to the dungeon... tell your friend to stop being hasty or he will be at a loss later.

Edit: Edward is supposed to be at the castle of troye. Look around the castle and you will find him.

CharonEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CharonEX
Yes! He HAS talked to Edward before he went in and got the Whisperweed key item, but he's still not getting the cutscene after the Dark Elf kills his characters EDIT: Does he have to equip the Whisperweed item for it to work?
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 meiaman
Yes! He HAS talked to Edward before he went in and got the Whisperweed key item, but he's still not getting the cutscene after the Dark Elf kills his charactersCharonEX
Now that just weird, i don`t remember anything else, and i`m sure that alls you need to do before this battle... (correct me if i`m wrong)..., or your friend is lying or your friend`s game is a botlegged one..... did he buy it from a seller from Hong Kong/China?
TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TriniPlayer
[QUOTE="CharonEX"]Yes! He HAS talked to Edward before he went in and got the Whisperweed key item, but he's still not getting the cutscene after the Dark Elf kills his charactersmeiaman
Now that just weird, i don`t remember anything else, and i`m sure that alls you need to do before this battle... (correct me if i`m wrong)..., or your friend is lying or your friend`s game is a botlegged one..... did he buy it from a seller from Hong Kong/China?

That's wierd fuh real cause after you talk with Edward and head to battle the Elf,you were suppose to see the cutscene when everyone faints.
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 meiaman
EDIT: Does he have to equip the Whisperweed item for it to work?CharonEX
I`m pretty sure the whisperweed is not an equipable item... but by all the means, just try to do so... Didn`t he forgot it at fat chocobo or something? If nothing works, then my friend, your friend is in possession of a botlegged copy. I`m terribly sorry.
CharonEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CharonEX
[QUOTE="CharonEX"]Yes! He HAS talked to Edward before he went in and got the Whisperweed key item, but he's still not getting the cutscene after the Dark Elf kills his charactersmeiaman

He said he bought the game used at a GameStop...so it may be botlegged
TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TriniPlayer

Alright,let me just go through the steps a last time Go to Edward to and make sure that you obtain the whisperweed and its a MUST have in order to defeat the dark Elf.That's all there is to it and if that don't work at all,meiaman is alright that it might be a botlegged copy.

By the way,the Whisperweed is a key item and you cannot equip it on anyone

CharonEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CharonEX
Well he went to a save point he had before he went to see Edward, so I'm just waiting for him to get the Whisperweed and go back to the Dark Elf and see if it works now.
TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TriniPlayer
Well he went to a save point he had before he went to see Edward, so I'm just waiting for him to get the Whisperweed and go back to the Dark Elf and see if it works now.CharonEX
And if the same thing happens,let gamestop know the game is a fake.
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 meiaman
[QUOTE="CharonEX"]Well he went to a save point he had before he went to see Edward, so I'm just waiting for him to get the Whisperweed and go back to the Dark Elf and see if it works now.TriniPlayer

Yup, if its fak,. I`m pretty sure they will give your friend another copy.
TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TriniPlayer
[QUOTE="TriniPlayer"][QUOTE="CharonEX"]Well he went to a save point he had before he went to see Edward, so I'm just waiting for him to get the Whisperweed and go back to the Dark Elf and see if it works now.meiaman

Yup, if its fak,. I`m pretty sure they will give your friend another copy.

That's one of the reasons i never by used games
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

iirc its really simple,

talk to edward and get the key item (whisperweed maybe? it was something else on the snes)
go to the dungeon and unequip ALL METAL ITEMS
get to the dark elf, during the first battle you will get knocked down, but i think you have to go through some rounds before the dark elf kills you (in other words dont just start the battle and wait for him to kill you)

MAKE SURE YOU DONT HAVE METAL EQUIPMENT ON FOR THE FIRST BATTLE - if you do, then yes it's instant death iirc (so your friend might've re-equipped the metal armor too early)

you do need to be able to put up a battle for several rounds, once the dark elfs hp's get too low then he'll kill your party. it'll go to a cutscene of edward playing the harp. THATS when you need to equip your metal armor, after edward plays the harp.

TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TriniPlayer

iirc its really simple,

talk to edward and get the key item (whisperweed maybe? it was something else on the snes)
go to the dungeon and unequip ALL METAL ITEMS
get to the dark elf, during the first battle you will get knocked down, but i think you have to go through some rounds before the dark elf kills you (in other words dont just start the battle and wait for him to kill you)

MAKE SURE YOU DONT HAVE METAL EQUIPMENT ON FOR THE FIRST BATTLE - if you do, then yes it's instant death iirc (so your friend might've re-equipped the metal armor too early)

you do need to be able to put up a battle for several rounds, once the dark elfs hp's get too low then he'll kill your party. it'll go to a cutscene of edward playing the harp. THATS when you need to equip your metal armor, after edward plays the harp.

z4twenny

That must be was the solution all this time,unequiping all metal items

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 meiaman

Possibly. If you equip it before the cutscene, its gameover.

CharonEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CharonEX
Alright, we managed to get it working, he finally got the cutscene...only after he had to go back to see Edward after he went back to a previous save point, still not sure why it wasn't working @_@; but thanks for the help, guys~
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 meiaman
Alright, we managed to get it working, he finally got the cutscene...only after he had to go back to see Edward after he went back to a previous save point, still not sure why it wasn't working @_@; but thanks for the help, guys~CharonEX
Hey, no prob. Glad it worked out for you. At least its not a botlegged copy. :P
CharonEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CharonEX
[QUOTE="CharonEX"]Alright, we managed to get it working, he finally got the cutscene...only after he had to go back to see Edward after he went back to a previous save point, still not sure why it wasn't working @_@; but thanks for the help, guys~meiaman

Yeah XP Thankfully EDIT: Okay...it looks like he really DIDN'T have the Whisperweed from what he said...I think he had gone to get it, but restarted and so lost the data from when he went to get it and just forgot. Gawsh, and I asked him a billion times if he had it or not >.>
TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TriniPlayer
[QUOTE="CharonEX"]Alright, we managed to get it working, he finally got the cutscene...only after he had to go back to see Edward after he went back to a previous save point, still not sure why it wasn't working @_@; but thanks for the help, guys~meiaman

same here man and its a good thing that it wasn't a fake copy afterall.
MrissyJM00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrissyJM00
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I found his first form quite easy..though his second was harder...he needs to get the elf to a certain point were he sends a full out blast and kills them all then because of the wisper weed given to them by Edward he knows they are in trouble and limps to his harp to stop the magnetic waves so the can be fully equiped again and destroy his second form that i beat by pure luck....