Existing Characters In Smash Bros Wii U And 3DS Will Have Lots Of New Moves

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#1 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts

MasahiroSakurai, the director of the SuperSmash Brosseries,revealed at theCEDEC developer conference this week that the next Smash Bros game for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS will feature lots of new and exciting moves for existing characters. Sakurai also mentioned earlier this week that the game will have a bunch of new characters.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/26/existing-characters-in-smash-bros-wii-u-and-nintendo-3ds-will-have-lots-of-new-moves/

Good to hear about that.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Here's hoping they give Luigi his Poltergust 3000, or at least it's LM: DM equivalent.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Thats great! Hopefully the moves are balanced.

idill23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 idill23
Member since 2004 • 1135 Posts
please let Mario use his water jet pack better...(can some one tell what was the point for it in brawl?)
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

please let Mario use his water jet pack better...(can some one tell what was the point for it in brawl?)idill23

This is part of what worries me. I respect the fact that Brawl wanted to pay homage to Mario's 'Sunshine' exploits, but adding F.L.U.D.D. to his moveset didn't exactly help him out a whole lot as a character (unless someone managed to use it for tourney-related purposes that I'm currently unaware of). It just turned out to be a nice visual that wore out once you played the game past the first few hours. When it comes to fighters, "new" and "exciting" doesn't always mean better, especially if you take away a particular fan-favorite tool (that isn't broken, I might add) for something that has less worth.

Secondly, what does it say about the game's direction? Could the game itself be trying to be more complex and technical than its predecessors, or could the development staff simply be trying to add more diversity to the so-called "clones" of the previous games? Here's hoping that it's the latter of the two, but even if it is, I hope that these changes comes with some balance. The series is in pretty good shape at the moment, so I'd hate to see it adapt something that makes it take a step backwards.

Not excited about this, but I'm not exactly upset either, since I don't know exactly what this is being referred to. Will just have to wait and see, I guess.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#6 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Good news, I wonder if Link will have any changes.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Hopefully this means less cloned move sets.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
My guess is just more characters will gets updates to their moves, from games that came out this gen. The worst offenders of being clones like the Star Fox crew, I don't see getting any better as they haven't gotten a new game.
idill23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 idill23
Member since 2004 • 1135 Posts

[QUOTE="idill23"]please let Mario use his water jet pack better...(can some one tell what was the point for it in brawl?)Madmangamer364

This is part of what worries me. I respect the fact that Brawl wanted to pay homage to Mario's 'Sunshine' exploits, but adding F.L.U.D.D. to his moveset didn't exactly help him out a whole lot as a character (unless someone managed to use it for tourney-related purposes that I'm currently unaware of). It just turned out to be a nice visual that wore out once you played the game past the first few hours. When it comes to fighters, "new" and "exciting" doesn't always mean better, especially if you take away a particular fan-favorite tool (that isn't broken, I might add) for something that has less worth.

Secondly, what does it say about the game's direction? Could the game itself be trying to be more complex and technical than its predecessors, or could the development staff simply be trying to add more diversity to the so-called "clones" of the previous games? Here's hoping that it's the latter of the two, but even if it is, I hope that these changes comes with some balance. The series is in pretty good shape at the moment, so I'd hate to see it adapt something that makes it take a step backwards.

Not excited about this, but I'm not exactly upset either, since I don't know exactly what this is being referred to. Will just have to wait and see, I guess.

Thanks for telling me the name of the water pack!!!

Back on topic , so you don't want the F.L.U.D.D. in the new smash bros? Because it will be unbalanced you think? like you said they did a great job so far with that.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Yeah,let's just hope that:

1.It will be a great game,i don't mind new moves,all the better!

and 2.that THIS time there will be ENOUGH new characters!

*cough*brawl*cough*

>_>

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sepewrath

*cough*brawl*cough*

>_>

GreekGameManiac
Are you saying that Brawl didn't have enough new characters? Because I completely disagree with that.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GreekGameManiac

Are you saying that Brawl didn't have enough new characters? Because I completely disagree with that. Sepewrath

Lol Sep.

:S it didn't have NEARLY as many as it should.

Sakurai said that he wanted to put many more characters in it,do you remember?

But regardless of what he said,there aren't enough new characters in Brawl.

:/

videog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 videog
Member since 2011 • 327 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Are you saying that Brawl didn't have enough new characters? Because I completely disagree with that. GreekGameManiac

Lol Sep.

Aren't there more characters in brawl than in melee?

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GreekGameManiac

videog

More doesn't equal enough.

>_>

videog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 videog
Member since 2011 • 327 Posts

[QUOTE="videog"]

GreekGameManiac

More doesn't equal enough.

>_>

I think everyone wants more characters...but i was quite satisfied by the number in brawl.

slowpokebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 slowpokebro
Member since 2012 • 572 Posts
Characters who I predict being totally rebuilt: Metaknight Pit Wario Diddy Kong Lucas Falco Ganondorf ZSS (Maybe) Olimer I expect Snake, Wolf, and Lucario to be axed. I hope to god that Sonic is axed, but I think he's here to stay.
slowpokebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 slowpokebro
Member since 2012 • 572 Posts
Characters who I predict being totally rebuilt: Metaknight Pit Wario Diddy Kong Lucas Falco Ganondorf ZSS (Maybe) Olimer I expect Snake, Wolf, and Lucario to be axed. I hope to god that Sonic is axed, but I think he's here to stay.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GreekGameManiac

Characters who I predict being totally rebuilt: Metaknight Pit Wario Diddy Kong Lucas Falco Ganondorf ZSS (Maybe) Olimer I expect Snake, Wolf, and Lucario to be axed. I hope to god that Sonic is axed, but I think he's here to stay.slowpokebro

Lol.

Guest characters are a one time thing.

I hope you realise that.

>_>

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Characters who I predict being totally rebuilt: Metaknight Pit Wario Diddy Kong Lucas Falco Ganondorf ZSS (Maybe) Olimer I expect Snake, Wolf, and Lucario to be axed. I hope to god that Sonic is axed, but I think he's here to stay.slowpokebro
I think Sonic might be back because he is in the Mario and Sonic series.

I expect Ike to get axed because they will use a new character from this gen (Chrom) from Fire Emblem Awakening; I think Marth will be here to stay since he was in five Fire Emblem titles (1, 3, 11, 12, and 13) Marth was also in the Fire Emblem Anime.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

screw the moves and characters....first thing to do is fix the physics of the game. go back to melee or ssb64 or something new but equally competative.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

i dont want them to mess too much w/ established characters. (people who been in 2 or all 3 of the games) however clones are a different story.

also they should just make fludd an item.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Madmangamer364

Thanks for telling me the name of the water pack!!!

Back on topic , so you don't want the F.L.U.D.D. in the new smash bros? Because it will be unbalanced you think? like you said they did a great job so far with that.

idill23

No problem. Glad I could help you out. :)

Anyways, my point isn't solely about F.L.U.D.D. being overpowered, but about changing any character, making him/her worse in the process. F.L.U.D.D.'s inclusion didn't hurt Mario as a character that much in Brawl, but it's always risky to change an established character's moveset in a fighting game, especially when that character already has everything he/she needs set. For moves that are clearly overpowered and broken, change from one game to another is needed, but in other cases, unless you're trying to make a game more/less technical, you usually don't see drastic changes in characters' tools. That's why I'm concerned to see such a comment in regards to the upcoming Super Smash Bros. games, especially when all characters have such a limited set of moves to choose from.

NOTE: By "worse," not only do I mean a character being weaker than before, but also making a character too powerful.

screw the moves and characters....first thing to do is fix the physics of the game. go back to melee or ssb64 or something new but equally competative.KBFloYd

Care to explain exactly what was wrong with Brawl's physics in comparison to its predecessors? I'm having trouble visualizing this one, to be honest...

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sepewrath
^Everyone has their favorite physics in Smash Brothers.

Lol Sep.

GreekGameManiac
And I'm sure the reason he didn't do it, is because the problem massive rosters have with balancing and on top of that, clones--something the series already struggles with. There was more than enough new characters and enough characters in general in the game, they need to focus on balance and fixing the clones, not compounding those problems with a DBZ game like roster.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]screw the moves and characters....first thing to do is fix the physics of the game. go back to melee or ssb64 or something new but equally competative.Madmangamer364

Care to explain exactly what was wrong with Brawl's physics in comparison to its predecessors? I'm having trouble visualizing this one, to be honest...

i thought everyone knew this but here it goes again.. the characters are too floaty in brawl... they need to fall faster like in melee....in general the game needs to be a little faster everything is too slow.
also...you can't do combos or juggling in brawl...in ssb64 you can do 1 stock combos....if you get them right you can finish them in one 10 hit combo....you juggle them around. its total ownage.they are hard to do but awesome..
don't know what physics make juggling possible but that kind of skill needs to come back..

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GreekGameManiac

^Everyone has their favorite physics in Smash Brothers.And I'm sure the reason he didn't do it, is because the problem massive rosters have with balancing and on top of that, clones--something the series already struggles with. There was more than enough new characters and enough characters in general in the game, they need to focus on balance and fixing the clones, not compounding those problems with a DBZ game like roster. Sepewrath

No,there weren't enough new characters,i remember ppl saying that,too.

And you forgot that he just had to make the game fast,and not delay it beyond 2009.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Madmangamer364

i thought everyone knew this but here it goes again.. the characters are too floaty in brawl... they need to fall faster like in melee....in general the game needs to be a little faster everything is too slow.
also...you can't do combos or juggling in brawl...in ssb64 you can do 1 stock combos....if you get them right you can finish them in one 10 hit combo....you juggle them around. its total ownage.they are hard to do but awesome..
don't know what physics make juggling possible but that kind of skill needs to come back..

KBFloYd

Nah, I was aware of much of what you're saying as far as complaints from a certain group of people are concerned. Things that need to be fixed, on another hand, is another debate altogether that I don't care to get into at the moment. lol

Anyways, thanks for responding. :P

Everyone has their favorite physics in Smash Brothers.

Sepewrath

Totally aware of that, I am. That said, it doesn't mean that something needs fixing just because someone isn't as fond of it. There's a difference between favoritism and broken/unbroken game mechanics, and my curiosity was with the latter in mind.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sepewrath

And you forgot that he just had to make the game fast,and not delay it beyond 2009.

GreekGameManiac
They could have gotten the game out in 2009 and still added a lot more characters, problem is the game would have been unbalanced and the roster would be full of clones. There were more than enough new characters and they don't even need that many in the next game.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GreekGameManiac

They could have gotten the game out in 2009 and still added a lot more characters, problem is the game would have been unbalanced and the roster would be full of clones. There were more than enough new characters and they don't even need that many in the next game. Sepewrath

I swear you must be one of the few who think that!

:S listen!! many characters doesn't necesarilly mean clones!!!

And it doesn't matter,cause for the last time,no,there weren't enough characters.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sepewrath
You can make that claim as much as you want, but there were more than enough. And yes new characters does means clones and the developers having a harder time balancing the game.
thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

please let Mario use his water jet pack better...(can some one tell what was the point for it in brawl?)idill23

It works very well against the opponents who barely recover onto the arena. It gives them that extra push to make sure they don't make it. It takes time to know when and how to use it. I'm not a Mario main but I've seen it work.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#31 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I am thinking that, with Namco added to the mix, each character will have a slightly bigger number of special moves.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]screw the moves and characters....first thing to do is fix the physics of the game. go back to melee or ssb64 or something new but equally competative.KBFloYd

I actually preferred the slower pace in Brawl, it made the matches last much longer.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sepewrath

I am thinking that, with Namco added to the mix, each character will have a slightly bigger number of special moves.

Pierst179
I doubt it, where in the existing control scheme would they put it? The value of Smash Brothers is that you don't even have to do a quarter circle +punch, adding moves would require new inputs. I don't think many would respond well to the change.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GreekGameManiac

[QUOTE="Pierst179"]

Sepewrath

I doubt it, where in the existing control scheme would they put it? The value of Smash Brothers is that you don't even have to do a quarter circle +punch, adding moves would require new inputs. I don't think many would respond well to the change.

Dude,you have to stop thinking like that.

They can make good moves and make them fit.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#35 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

[QUOTE="Pierst179"]

Sepewrath

I have no idea where they would fit them, but that is one of the reasons I am not a game designer, I guess. :P

I assume they brought Namco in to make changes to the fighting style of the series, which - while undeanibly great - has been pretty much the same for the past three installments. That, in turn, made each Smash Bros game rely solely on the added content, characters and stages. I think Nintendo wants to change that dependance, so maybe we will get a nice overhaul to the control scheme.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sepewrath
lol and I reiterate, I don't think many would respond well to that. That's how a fighting game works, its just refinement and addition, you don't completely overhaul a fighting game without the massive risk of losing what made people a fan of the series. Look at Mortal Kombat, they went 3D, added weapons, then they ditched the fatalities, then they went T rated with vs DC and the whole time people were just saying go back to what it use to be. Look at the reaction to MK8 going back to its roots, the same would happen here, I can already see it "We don't want Tekken, we want Smash Brothers" and its a fair point. There is no point in making a game in an existing series, if its nothing like the series. If they want to make a more traditional fighter, than do that, but don't call it Smash Brothers.
Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nude_Dude
Member since 2007 • 5530 Posts

*cough*brawl*cough*

>_>

GreekGameManiac
The number of characters will be reduced for SSB 3DS so...deal with it.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
I'm thinking they're going to add Block attacks where you attack directionally whilst blocking and perhaps Nintendo has entrusted Namco because they have seen the phoenominal job they did with Soul Calibur 5's net code and they'd like to get the online right this time. Just a thought though.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GreekGameManiac

The number of characters will be reduced for SSB 3DS so...deal with it. Nude_Dude

Who cares for the 3DS one? Nintendo is ******* cheap.

>_>

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Madmangamer364

lol and I reiterate, I don't think many would respond well to that. That's how a fighting game works, its just refinement and addition, you don't completely overhaul a fighting game without the massive risk of losing what made people a fan of the series. Look at Mortal Kombat, they went 3D, added weapons, then they ditched the fatalities, then they went T rated with vs DC and the whole time people were just saying go back to what it use to be. Look at the reaction to MK8 going back to its roots, the same would happen here, I can already see it "We don't want Tekken, we want Smash Brothers" and its a fair point. There is no point in making a game in an existing series, if its nothing like the series. If they want to make a more traditional fighter, than do that, but don't call it Smash Brothers. Sepewrath

I have to agree with you one this one. There is always that fine line that exist in fighters when it comes to improving the formula. While there are instances where you can make some pretty big changes to a fighting game system and be successful, for the most part, it's really about refining the mechanics and making sure the final product is more polished than previous installments. The reason why the genre struggled so much prior to this gen was because that fine line was mishandled in most high profile series. In most cases, the idea of making fighting games more complex and technical really reduced the genre as something only the most dedicated players could enjoy.

Much of SSB's success has been becuase it hasn't followed that trend so closely to the point of scaring off new and less dedicated players. There's nothing wrong with improving what needs to be improved, but the last thing the SSB series needs to adapt is more technical approach and confuse people in the process. It's never going to be a Virtual Fighter or a KoF in its respective part of the genre, nor should it be. While this may not make the series the most appealing fighter to tournament players and the like, that's nowhere near as important as ensuring that the identity of the series remains intact for the masses to enjoy.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
It's weird to be hearing about a Nintendo game so early in its development.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GreekGameManiac

It's weird to be hearing about a Nintendo game so early in its development.Meinhard1

No,it's not.

OldGamers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 OldGamers
Member since 2012 • 26 Posts
It sounds awesome.